Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Quote of the Day

"I don't think there was ever an intention to have a PC version of Red Dead Redemption," designer Kris Roberts told GameSpot. ""I was actually super shocked that they did a PC version of Grand Theft Auto V. Obviously in development, we were all PC-based and had it running for win32 clients for the entire development. But as far as the licensing for the consoles and stuff, it was pretty much always going to be a Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 title. To the best of my recollection, we never even seriously talked about optimizing it for PC."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 2, 2015, 13:32 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:32:
Lastly, some of us want to support our platform of choice, we want it to become what it used to be. I can't think of a better way than boycotting console releases and purchasing only PC games.

Why? Who cares. I really like gaming on my PC and all the support it needs is me buying games and building systems. It doesn't need some sort of product evangelism pc master race type stuff. You don't need to boycott consoles for the PC to do well. There are some great games on the consoles you can't get anywhere else but whatever, its your money.

I like gaming in general more than I like platform wars or whatever is going on here.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 13:48 saluk

By not playing on console, I am self-limiting my pool of games. It sucks sometimes when a game I'd REALLY like to play (like RDR) doesn't make it to the market, and I will complain about it with the rest of pc gamers. But really, as long as the market is healthy, not getting all of the games is a good thing. If I had a console, that would mean beyond things I'd REALLY like to play my time would be even more divided amongst a ton of games that I'm only marginally interested in.  

37. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 11:43 Ecthelion

InBlack wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:32:
Lastly, some of us want to support our platform of choice, we want it to become what it used to be. I can't think of a better way than boycotting console releases and purchasing only PC games.
Good luck with that. I don't think Microsoft is going to be looking at Halo 5 sales and crying about potential lost sales from PC-only gamers. Ditto with Take-Two and RDR. I understand wanting to stick to principles but in this case they aren't going to do much.

The problem is, as consoles become less attractive to publishers (who love the smartphone/tablet market because of all that microtransaction BS and much lower development costs), so does the PC.

Anyway, regarding controllers, I felt the same way for over a decade. I started with the Commodore 64 with a joystick and a NES with its gamepad, but I moved to the PC before consoles starting getting controllers with analog sticks (not joysticks, that is). I thought I could never adapt, but I managed to do so in less than a month once I finally got a PS3 and started going through all the games the PC never got.

36. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 05:34 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 19:04:
Also, at this point, it baffles me that we still have "PC gamers" and "Xbox gamers" and whatever.

I understand making a choice for financial reasons, but many here make them for personal. Great games come out for all systems, I'll never get restricting yourself to one for anything other than cost reasons.

Well, would need to buy consoles. For that I'd also need to buy a tv and having a living room would also be nice... Additionally to that there is already not enough time to play pc games and personally I just don't like controllers. I've been gaming using K&M since I was 4 and controllers are just awkward, which is why I always have a hard time playing simulators, racing games and especially twin stick shooters. The only one I've really played was Renegade Ops. Have to admit that it was good but I've just died continuously the first few hours on the lowest difficulty setting, because of the controller.

35. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 03:51 jdreyer

Also, at this point, it baffles me that we still have "PC gamers" and "Xbox gamers" and whatever.

I understand making a choice for financial reasons, but many here make them for personal. Great games come out for all systems, I'll never get restricting yourself to one for anything other than cost reasons.

Meh, for me I just don't like the way most console games play. The controller as an input devices is just too restrictive.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 03:32 InBlack

Yeah cost is a big issue, which is also simple pragmatism. Why have 3 gaming systems when one will do? There are also only so many hours in the day. Especially when the other two are so far behind in visuals, and you suck badly with a controller. Some of us also prefer the type of games we (used to) get on the PC over the consoles.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 19:39 Ecthelion

I didn't buy my PS3 just to play RDR, but it was a nice bonus. I didn't get the system until the game had been out for a while, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On the subject of story and characters, I think Rockstar has always struggled making good characters. They are great at making ridiculous over-the-top stereotypes, but few of them are actually relatable and likable. People also seem to always remember past games in a more positive light compared to the current game. I do think GTA5 broke the pattern somewhat, but I have seen some comments liking GTA4 more. The main thing I remember though, was everybody hating GTA San Andreas compared to Vice City, which I still don't understand. Personally I found CJ's family and friends story focus to be much more enjoyable and relatable than Vice City's Scarface rehash (plus Samuel L Jackson, nuff said). I don't see how gangbanger BS is any less valid or sillier than drug mogul BS. Maybe most gamers secretly want to be drug lords?

Anyway, I think RDR was one of the better story efforts by Rockstar. The backstory was good, and the ending was bittersweet and done really well. The characters also seemed more real, especially with one of the main villains being more of a shade of gray than usual with Rockstar. You usually don't regret killing targets in GTA games, and I had mixed feelings about the person I'm talking about in RDR. The stereotypes were still there, especially in all the ignorant "white folk" (e.g. the hunter going after Bigfoot). I really enjoyed it. It's probably too late for Rockstar to consider a next-gen port, but if they did, a PC version would be almost inevitable.

32. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 19:04 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 19:01 Beamer

Desalus wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 10:05:
descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 09:57:
RDR was a nightmare to control, it wasn't just your gamepad.

The gameplay was also really tedious and the story was crap. No idea why people are/were so obsessed with it.

Hmmm...I had the exact opposite experience. I found the game to be easy to control, the gameplay was fun, and the story was a lot more interesting than GTA IV. Perhaps westerns are just not your thing?

Westerns aren't mine yet I found it superior to gtav in every way other than the random weirdness of the open world online.

The atmosphere just worked so well.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 17:07 InBlack

harlock wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:59:
if the world revolves around you, then everything is personal.. thats how egotism works

it all depends on how far up your own ass you are... some dipshits take a rain storm personally

Others make personal decisions into business ones. Which is pretty much the same thing.

29. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 16:31 Rigs

harlock wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:59:
if the world revolves around you, then everything is personal.. thats how egotism works

it all depends on how far up your own ass you are... some dipshits take a rain storm personally

The world does revolve around me. I thought everyone knew that. Did you not get the memo?

=-Rigs-=

28. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 16:29 The Half Elf

Controls were solid, story was amazing (3rd time I actually gave a shit about a character in a game besides Niko, and the friend in Mafia 2), was tons of fun and even the Zombie expansion was good.
If anything I couldn't really like Marston's son.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

27. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:59 harlock

26. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:38 InBlack

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:32:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:18:
Shorter Rockstar, or TL;DR version:

"Fuck you, PC gamers."
Surely you understand the difference between a business decision and a personal insult?

Surely you understand how one can also be the other?

25. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:32 Kevin Lowe

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:18:
Shorter Rockstar, or TL;DR version:

"Fuck you, PC gamers."
Surely you understand the difference between a business decision and a personal insult?

24. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:26 PHJF

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:22:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:28:
Perhaps one day they could do like what Square-Enix recently did and release an HD version of Final Fantasy 7 on Steam. Nothing is outside the realm of possibilities, especially if Rockstar wants/needs an infusion of funds.

You've seen the GTAV sales, right? The entire studio doesn't need to work another day in their lives.

You're suggesting Programmer #26 at Popular Video Games Developer is in any way enriched by record-breaking sales of That One Game On Which He Worked. He isn't.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:25 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:50:
I was actually super shocked that they did a PC version of Grand Theft Auto V

Yeah, because why would you want to make more money? GTA5 has only been in the Steam top 10 for like 4 months straight, at full price no less.

So clearly a PC version of RDR would never have made any money. Rolleyes

Because he's a game designer not a marketing person. It's probably best that he stick with game designing and leave the decision to sell on different platforms to the professionals.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:24 nin

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:19:
nin wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 09:32:
He goes on to say that he was "super shocked" they did a pc version of GTA 5, so I wonder how much in the know he really was (considering almost every single GTA game has made the pc).

True, but the vast majority of sales has been on console, so they can afford to leave that money on the table if they want to.

Yeah, but if they're going to port to x86 for the most recent consoles anyway...

21. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:22 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:28:
Perhaps one day they could do like what Square-Enix recently did and release an HD version of Final Fantasy 7 on Steam. Nothing is outside the realm of possibilities, especially if Rockstar wants/needs an infusion of funds.

You've seen the GTAV sales, right? The entire studio doesn't need to work another day in their lives.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 13:19 jdreyer

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 09:32:
He goes on to say that he was "super shocked" they did a pc version of GTA 5, so I wonder how much in the know he really was (considering almost every single GTA game has made the pc).

True, but the vast majority of sales has been on console, so they can afford to leave that money on the table if they want to.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >