Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I woke up to a computer problem today. My PC had not put itself to sleep, and a fan was running at full speed. It's hard to see the connection, but I also had repeated crashes trying to launch FrontPage 2003, my antiquated HTML editor. I reinstalled the editor, but continue to have problems, though I eventually found a way to work around them. Certainly an aggravating start to the week, but at least I have it under control for the time being.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Elite Squad.
Link: Psyop - Seeing the World through a Dog’s Eyes. Thanks Kxmode.
Science: Big announcement: Did NASA just find liquid water on Mars? Thanks David.
Media: Insane Frisbee Throw and Catch Off of Bridge.
Motorbike makes a run for it.
History of Racing Video Games (1974-2011).
The Funnies: Stylus vs Ball Pen.
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 23:22 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 18:16:
Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:32:
descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:12:
That the insurance companies can hike the rates claiming they "lost money on the single plans" because more people actually used their health insurance... fucking hell the insurance industry overall is the biggest parasitic scum on this planet. How their entire business model isn't illegal just blows my mind.

Easy

In fact. That page shows why EVERYTHING is screwed up in the US. Housing market screwed, weird, they are #3. Banks making BILLIONS while claiming to have nothing, weird, also #3. Can't get out from your underwater/upside down home? Weird, also #3.

Money in politics is THE issue. For virtually every malady. We can't have a proper political discussion about anything due to lobbying money at every level.

I hope you get State Farm to pay out Bats. Is your roof leaking? Can you sue (probably have an arbitration clause or something preventing you)?

Long story short, there is already a Class Action lawsuit started in the area for the storm and the damage. I will most likely be a part of that. I have every right to sue. If it isn't resolved in the next couple weeks I will start with small claims court and go from there. State law says if I make a claim that is false it is fraud. I explained to State Farm that the person that came out did not document the damage I showed him that was obvious - which would also be fraud. So I am hoping that lights a fire under them a bit.

Their tactic is to stall. Insurance is a cash business. They have thousands of claims in Minnesota because of the amount of hail we had this spring. They pay a % of them right away, then they try and get claims reduced hoping people will just give up (my claim is one of those), then they will eventually ok a claim 12 months later after rates have been adjusted upwards and they are once again flush with cash.

It is a total scam. They are known for it. My biggest concern is I do not want to go through a winter with damaged property. It is going to cause more damage. (I have some water leakage and the winter will make it worse)

In the end, the dude screwed up. He claimed my garage (detached) is total loss, but said no damage to the house or roof. I also have pictures of the hail (2 storms within minutes of eachother) that was larger than a 25 cent piece, and the ground was covered with them. It looked like it had snowed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 18:16 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:32:
That the insurance companies can hike the rates claiming they "lost money on the single plans" because more people actually used their health insurance... fucking hell the insurance industry overall is the biggest parasitic scum on this planet. How their entire business model isn't illegal just blows my mind.

Easy

In fact. That page shows why EVERYTHING is screwed up in the US. Housing market screwed, weird, they are #3. Banks making BILLIONS while claiming to have nothing, weird, also #3. Can't get out from your underwater/upside down home? Weird, also #3.

Money in politics is THE issue. For virtually every malady. We can't have a proper political discussion about anything due to lobbying money at every level.

I hope you get State Farm to pay out Bats. Is your roof leaking? Can you sue (probably have an arbitration clause or something preventing you)?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 15:38 Retired

descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:34:
I know lobbying is the reason... but like... way back when... How did the first guy manage to invent insurance?

"Pay me money and I may or may not ever pay it back to you when you need it"

Thanks but uh... no thanks?

Yea, and now it is illegal in most states to NOT have insurance on your vehicle and home. I have been fighting with State Farm (I know my bad) for wind/water/hail damage for 6 months. I have had no less than 6 companies come out and say I need a new roof. I have also watched more than 60% of the homes in my neighborhood get new roof, siding, windows, downspouts, etc. I was actually told by the arrogant ass from State Farm that came out that I had NO DAMAGE to my roof. Yet it was clearly visible from the ground.

oh, and don't go and USE your insurance, no sir! Oh, you made a claim? Here, let me just adjust your monthly premiums up!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 15:34 descender

I know lobbying is the reason... but like... way back when... How did the first guy manage to invent insurance?

"Pay me money and I may or may not ever pay it back to you when you need it"

Thanks but uh... no thanks?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 15:32 Retired

Easy

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 15:12 descender

I never said people didn't abuse the system, or that they won't continue to. I'm merely pointing out the OBVIOUS reason for the surge in ER visits this year.

First you start with the fact that hospitals have been closing nationwide, so there are fewer ER's available. Then you look at the 2 things the ACA actually increased, the number of regular insured patients and the number of Medicaid insured patients. Lots of doctors in shitty red states won't accept medicaid as payment, so those patients are basically forced to go to the ER (reason 1). Medicaid patients also have NO CO-PAY for ER visits so they have no incentive to go to a regular doctor anyway (reason 2). More people having coverage overall also means that regular doctor offices are flooded with new patients, so rather than waiting weeks at a time for appointments the Medicaid users can simply go straight to the ER (reason 3).

We all know that the ACA wasn't the solution anyone wanted, it's merely what was possible to pass. Obviously we should have a free nationalized healthcare system but... this shit has nothing to do with people abusing the system. The system needs time to expand under the weight of the increased number of patients. You can't just magic up more doctor offices, it takes time to train them and now that there is a higher demand for them... you see where this is going.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2015, 15:22.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 14:38 Retired

descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:41:
Those ER visit numbers will drop over time after this initial surge of people who never would have considered going to a hospital or doctor before they got subsidized health insurance. People are also visiting doctors at a higher rate, not just emergency rooms.

You really don't have a grasp on what happens. FOR YEARS people have been abusing the ER. YOU CANNOT BE REFUSED CARE, and they never pay their bill. Numbers won't drop, EVER. As P said, those who could not afford healthcare still can't.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 13:41 descender

Those ER visit numbers will drop over time after this initial surge of people who never would have considered going to a hospital or doctor before they got subsidized health insurance. People are also visiting doctors at a higher rate, not just emergency rooms.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 13:15 PHJF

Think he is suggesting the ACA did absolutely nothing to address the root diseases (if you will) afflicting the American healthcare system. Poverty causes people to "abuse" the ER. Abuse of the ER drives up healthcare costs across the board. Sky-high healthcare costs render insurance untenable for the impoverished. Goto ER.

Really the only thing the ACA accomplished in the end was curbing denial of insurance or claims rejection due to that "pre-existing condition" horse shit. Or I would assume, I don't know of actual numbers on that. For the vast swathes of Americans living at or near a minimum wage that hasn't been able to support "living" in decades, insurance remains unaffordable.

As long as for-profit insurance exists, there will be no real improvement to the healthcare system. ACA was a half measure in a battle where there can be none.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 10:00 descender

On some systems the cpu or GPU fan will peg to 100% when the computer hard locks. This is most likely what Blue experienced without the BSOD.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 02:36 Sepharo

Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 01:35:
40 years ago, a newborn bay bill with 3 days stay in the hospital was about $8 dollars. Today, it is no less than $20k.

1974 median income (in 2013 dollars) was 38k, 2013 Median income was 40k. (bls.gov)

Poverty Rate: (Census Bureau)
1974 7.7%
2013 9.6%

The more you know.

What does this random grab bag of facts have to do with the ACA?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 01:35 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 01:32:
Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 01:00:
Skyrocketing Health Insurance Rates Feared as Decision on Premium Hikes Nears

Thank you "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act".

Thank you for protecting big business and their profits.

Hey, it's not ideal, but it was the best that could be done given the political reality. The previous system excluded 10s of millions who would waste billions at the ER, and was seeing 10-15% increases on an annual basis. This system is an improvement and is showing definite cost controls.

For whom? Healthcare costs go up double digits every year for the past 6 years. While incomes remain flat.......

People aren't buying health insurance. They couldn't afford it in the first place, and they still can't afford it! The numbers are super inflated as they now count those that are on Medicare plans as those that "now receive health care".

People are STILL abusing ER care. They know they cannot be refused care if they take the ambulance. Yet the rich get richer with guaranteed contracts and money, while the rest of us responsible people pay the bill.

40 years ago, a newborn bay bill with 3 days stay in the hospital was about $8 dollars. Today, it is no less than $20k.

1974 median income (in 2013 dollars) was 38k, 2013 Median income was 40k. (bls.gov)

Poverty Rate: (Census Bureau)
1974 7.7%
2013 9.6%

The more you know.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2015, 01:51.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 01:32 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 01:00:

Hey, it's not ideal, but it was the best that could be done given the political reality. The previous system excluded 10s of millions who would waste billions at the ER, and was seeing 10-15% increases on an annual basis. This system is an improvement and is showing definite cost controls.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 01:00 Retired

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 18:47 Tipsy McStagger

Hey blue,

Usually the fan runs off an Resistance Temperature Device (RTD) built directly onto the motherboard. If you go into your bios of your MOBO and it says that the temperature is very high than you could have two issues:

#1 - your contact to the heat sink is not correct anymore and the thermal paste has become old.
#2 - Your RTD on your motherboard is screwed, in which case you need a new MOBO.

Lastly, check to make sure your bios setting didn't switch the CPU Fan from AUTO to full for whatever reason.

None of this would stop your computer from going into sleep, something sounds like it's keeping your system load up, could be a malicious program or a system conflict.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 17:58 ForgedReality

Cool, so when can we book a trip to go surfing on Mars?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 13:11 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 12:36:
Wow, nice picking in our pick 'em league -- 13 of 14 by Radman and Pigeon. I got the "upset" pick on Philly, but missed on the Browns, Ravens and Chargers. I can live with that.

Yeah pretty happy with the results this week, specially since I did so poorly last week. I thought the Jets' Defense would keep them in the game, but 4 turn overs is tough. And my home team won this week, so I can at least expect to see them win against bad teams a few more times this season .

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 12:36 Mr. Tact

Wow, nice picking in our pick 'em league -- 13 of 14 by Radman and Pigeon. I got the "upset" pick on Philly, but missed on the Browns, Ravens and Chargers. I can live with that.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 10:48 Cutter

That was a pretty amazing throw and catch.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 10:03 Verno

http://komodoide.com/

The basic editor is free.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >