Star Citizen Departures?

A TwitLonger post from Derek Smart (who cannot be confined to 140 characters) says he has heard reports of departures from Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games which may in part be caused by his publication of an internal email from the company. The developer turned crusader says a couple of employees quit and a couple were fired as the result of the leak, and while the details of his post are not officially confirmed, a tweet from James Pugh does confirm this Community Manager's departure from the company under "odd" circumstances (Derek's report says he was fired for suspicion of having leaked the mail). According to Derek's sources, the bad news is just beginning for the CIG, as he says a round of downsizing is in the works to reduce the company's burn rate, and that this is the reason for the recent launch of sales of Endeavor ships for $350-$450.
View : : :
147 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Departures?
Oct 1, 2015, 07:08
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Oct 1, 2015, 07:08
Oct 1, 2015, 07:08

feral.fury wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 03:23:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 22:10:
It wasn't just the numbers but the undertaking of the "holy grail" of space games. A persistent universe with both space and land. You can either do it algorithmically and risk things being bland or repetitive or you can do it by hand... which is the insane way.

It's not the holy grail. Not by my definition. My definition of a holy grail space sim is one with seamless entry into atmosphere, 100+ fully explorable planets with bases, cities or colonies, 100+ fully open unqiue space stations and mixed in with a bunch of procedural generation...basically ED + SC + NMS + Eve.

Your definition of the Holy Grail is without merit.

More here

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2015, 07:54.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Oct 1, 2015, 04:37
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Oct 1, 2015, 04:37
Oct 1, 2015, 04:37

Sepharo wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 04:27:
It wasn't just the numbers but the undertaking of the "holy grail" of space games. A persistent universe with both space and land. You can either do it algorithmically and risk things being bland or repetitive or you can do it by hand... which is the insane way.

It's not the holy grail. Not by my definition. My definition of a holy grail space sim is one with seamless entry into atmosphere, 100+ fully explorable planets with bases, cities or colonies, 100+ fully open unqiue space stations and mixed in with a bunch of procedural generation...basically ED + SC + NMS + Eve.

Wait, what's your point here? How is that not what I said just with more fleshed out detail?
We're talking about an older write-up from dsmart that describes what we both described.

Do you think what you described is possible with 10 million? 100 million? 200 million? How many years, how many employees? Here's a hint SC, doesn't have enough to even do what it intends, and judging by your acronym math you don't even consider it the most ambitious undertaking.

I do consider it the most ambitious undertaking out there. Just not the be all and end all that it's being painted as.

Oct 1, 2015, 04:27
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Oct 1, 2015, 04:27
Oct 1, 2015, 04:27

Wait, what's your point here? How is that not what I said just with more fleshed out detail?
We're talking about an older write-up from dsmart that describes what we both described.

Do you think what you described is possible with 10 million? 100 million? 200 million? How many years, how many employees? Here's a hint SC, doesn't have enough to even do what it intends, and judging by your acronym math you don't even consider it the most ambitious undertaking.

Oct 1, 2015, 03:23
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Oct 1, 2015, 03:23
Oct 1, 2015, 03:23

Sep 30, 2015, 22:10
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 22:10
Sep 30, 2015, 22:10

feral.fury wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 20:56:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 19:53:
Murder She Wrote wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 18:35:
Krovven wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 15:56:
Derek Smart has no business going on this vendetta of his to bring CIG and everyone inside of it down. It's a direct conflict of interest, has gone way beyond the point of obsession and he's attacking individuals inside of the company directly damaging many of those peoples lives over this witch hunt of his. This personal conflict shit happens every day in companies and CIG is not special in that regard. In this case, it's an outside individual stirring the pot that arguably has something to gain from the failure of Star Citizen (that's a whole other topic). It's none of his business and at the very least he should have ended his crusade when they refunded his donation.

Not to mention its especially amusing considering his long and storied history of buggy, unfinished games. Not an iota of introspection.

I haven't read all of his walls of text but I remember the first one was definitely introspective. He discussed how he knew it would be so hard to do "the holy grail" of space games because he had tried many times before to varying degrees of success. I'm not going back to it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written like, "BUT I DID IT!" he has definitely acknowledged his own buggy games.

A guy who spends no more than $10 million on a game budget, has 20-30 contractors and maybe half a dozen in-house employees says Star Citizen is impossible. That I can believe. Now if I was in Derek's shoes, I would think all games are impossible. He keeps saying he's been there, done that but has he truly been there, $90+ million game budget, and done that, 200 in house employees and ~150 contractors. No.

My numbers are probably wrong but close, but my point is, you can't judge success when you yourself can't achieve it.

Sep 30, 2015, 20:56
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 20:56
Sep 30, 2015, 20:56

Sepharo wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 19:53:
Derek Smart has no business going on this vendetta of his to bring CIG and everyone inside of it down. It's a direct conflict of interest, has gone way beyond the point of obsession and he's attacking individuals inside of the company directly damaging many of those peoples lives over this witch hunt of his. This personal conflict shit happens every day in companies and CIG is not special in that regard. In this case, it's an outside individual stirring the pot that arguably has something to gain from the failure of Star Citizen (that's a whole other topic). It's none of his business and at the very least he should have ended his crusade when they refunded his donation.

Not to mention its especially amusing considering his long and storied history of buggy, unfinished games. Not an iota of introspection.

I haven't read all of his walls of text but I remember the first one was definitely introspective. He discussed how he knew it would be so hard to do "the holy grail" of space games because he had tried many times before to varying degrees of success. I'm not going back to it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written like, "BUT I DID IT!" he has definitely acknowledged his own buggy games.

A guy who spends no more than $10 million on a game budget, has 20-30 contractors and maybe half a dozen in-house employees says Star Citizen is impossible. That I can believe. Now if I was in Derek's shoes, I would think all games are impossible. He keeps saying he's been there, done that but has he truly been there, $90+ million game budget, and done that, 200 in house employees and ~150 contractors. No.

My numbers are probably wrong but close, but my point is, you can't judge success when you yourself can't achieve it.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2015, 21:02.

Sep 30, 2015, 20:23
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 20:23
Sep 30, 2015, 20:23
 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:55:
dsmart wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:53:
Wait! What do you mean he's not a member of Church of Christ Roberts of the Latter Day White Knights & Minions
Two stars out of five. Need to have the acronym spell something cool...

CCRLDWKM; just throw in some random vowels.

CoCaReLoDiWeKaM
Say it with me! "Welcome to the CoCa ReLoDi We KaM!" Smash
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 30, 2015, 19:53
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 19:53
Sep 30, 2015, 19:53

Sep 30, 2015, 18:35
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 18:35
Sep 30, 2015, 18:35

Sep 30, 2015, 17:55
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 17:55
Sep 30, 2015, 17:55

dsmart wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:53:
Wait! What do you mean he's not a member of Church of Christ Roberts of the Latter Day White Knights & Minions
Two stars out of five. Need to have the acronym spell something cool...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 30, 2015, 17:53
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 17:53
Sep 30, 2015, 17:53

Kxmode wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:40:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 16:55:
Krovven wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 16:41:
So first you said you don't promote your game while publicly trashing Star Citizen, when proven wrong it sounds like you are admitting it, but it's your blog, so that's ok? It's actually not.

I was a backer for $930. Out of curiosity how much did you back for?

I didn't. Not sure why I have to repeatedly state this every single time.

My apologies for asking again. Knowing this helps me understand how "emotionally compromised" someone is. If someone keeps singing Roberts' praises to the tune of $2,500 Backed then I would definitely consider them "emotionally compromised". It wouldn't be worth discussing anything meaningful with them due to their blindness. I am glad to see you are not "emotionally compromised".

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

Sep 30, 2015, 17:40
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 17:40
Sep 30, 2015, 17:40
 Kxmode

So first you said you don't promote your game while publicly trashing Star Citizen, when proven wrong it sounds like you are admitting it, but it's your blog, so that's ok? It's actually not.

I didn't. Not sure why I have to repeatedly state this every single time.

My apologies for asking again. Knowing this helps me understand how "emotionally compromised" someone is. If someone keeps singing Roberts' praises to the tune of $2,500 Backed then I would definitely consider them "emotionally compromised". It wouldn't be worth discussing anything meaningful with them due to their blindness. I am glad to see you are not "emotionally compromised".
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 30, 2015, 17:05
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 17:05
Sep 30, 2015, 17:05

I didn't. Not sure why I have to repeatedly state this every single time. I have no interest in Star Citizen due to it's business model. I think it's a scam. People are crazy to be spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on this game of promises, let alone any game.
I don't think people are crazy for spending so much, as long as they have the disposable income to do so. I backed the game at the lowest level because I liked the idea but knew it was a gamble. As more content has been released and I liked what I saw I have increased by contribution gradually. This is a game I will likely put more time into than every other game I own combined, so for me it represents value.

This does not mean that Chris Roberts is beholden to the "backers". Only $2 million was made on Kickstarter. The rest has been from fools throwing him money on their website. It's not a public company. They don't owe anyone full disclosure. Should they be questioned? Sure. Don't expect answers. It's as simple as, don't be an idiot and buy their $900 ship designs. But it's way too late for that, the damage is done.
This. You're not buying on a game - it's a gamble. The game could turn out to be amazing, it could fall apart and be a massive disappointment. For me personally I was willing to take that chance given my love of the genre. But backers should know exactly what they're pledging for and know the risks.

This. A thousand times this. He has a conflict of interest, he is a proven troll, he has anger issues and he has no credibility. He's the Donald Trump of video games. He shouldn't be given any attention. There are plenty valid criticisms of the game and the way it is being developed but the claims Derek Smart makes are too often demonstrably false, which only serves to diminish the few times he highlights a legitimate point. When you're wrong nine times out of ten people aren't going to listen when you get something right. He's just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what will stick.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 30, 2015, 15:56
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 15:56
Sep 30, 2015, 15:56

I didn't. Not sure why I have to repeatedly state this every single time. I have no interest in Star Citizen due to it's business model. I think it's a scam. People are crazy to be spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on this game of promises, let alone any game.

This does not mean that Chris Roberts is beholden to the "backers". Only $2 million was made on Kickstarter. The rest has been from fools throwing him money on their website. It's not a public company. They don't owe anyone full disclosure. Should they be questioned? Sure. Don't expect answers. It's as simple as, don't be an idiot and buy their $900 ship designs. But it's way too late for that, the damage is done.

Sep 30, 2015, 10:27
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 10:27
Sep 30, 2015, 10:27

Murder She Wrote wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 09:02:
Some people here have way too much time on their hands, its like watching some idiot declare war on a neighbour because the guy parked near his property once upon a time.

I was selling a house and already out of state, so my neighbor decided to park in my driveway. Fortunately, a friend was kind and brave enough to tell them to move it. Thumbsup

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Sep 30, 2015, 09:02
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 09:02
Sep 30, 2015, 09:02

Some people here have way too much time on their hands, its like watching some idiot declare war on a neighbour because the guy parked near his property once upon a time.

Sep 30, 2015, 08:56
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 08:56
Sep 30, 2015, 08:56

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:41:
Is this the funding timeline you're talking about? Or do you have access to another one that also shows expenditures? Here's the funding for this year, per that doc:

Jan - $3,270,829
Feb - $2,399,668
Mar - $3,183,965
Apr - $3,211,615
May - $2,815,387
Jun - $1,061,274
Jul - - $917,744
Aug - $2,781,241
Sep - $1,215,517

Whenever they hold a ship sale, they make around $3M. When they don't, they make around $1M. That being said, it looks like it's hitting the point of diminishing returns. The funding trend month over month is starting to flatten out.
Funding has certainly dropped off but that's not entirely surprising given that no meaningful content has been delivered recently. We have had the Social Module but functionality-wise it's just a large map that people can run around in; Arena Commander hasn't seen any substantial new content; Star Marine has been repeatedly delayed; the multi-crew release is around the corner; and we've heard nothing about Squadron 42. People are holding back because there's nothing new to see. However, I expect a significant increase in funding after CitizenCon and the release of new content this year. We'll also find out the status of Squadron 42, which is currently an unknown.

Just a few simple questions to you and Fingers.

• When do you expect SQ 42 to be finished?
  • When do you expect the PU to be finished?
  • They want to make 100 star systems with multiple environments. They have two partially complete. When do you expect them to finish them all?
  • How many of these 100 systems should they be releasing per quarter to stay on track with a reasonable release date? Three? Five? Ten?
  • If they fail to reach their goal of 100 systems, how many will you be satisfied with?
1) I expect S42 to hit mid-to-late next year, which is a significant delay from when it was due (this year). Once it hits they'll get working on the expansion, which will generate more revenue.
2-3) I expect the PU to be at least two years off, more likely early 2018. However, the Baby PU is due this year and it will constantly be expanded so that will make the wait more tolerable.
4) I would want to see 15+ star systems by the end of next year, knowing that the speed at which they will be added should increase exponentially as the pre-fabs are built and procedural generation comes online.
5) I wouldn't be happy with anything less than the 100 they promised.

I have been and continue to be a supporter of this game. I don't really care about the speculation of chaos within CIG. Whether it's true or not is not important to me, but the metrics are. The pace has been glacial. At this rate, the game will be finished in many years, and funding will have dried up well before then. I'd really like to hear an alternate take, because the numbers aren't adding up, and I can't see light at the end of the tunnel.
I agree with most of what you say. Development has been slow, playable content has been woefully lacking and there has been a lack of transparency about delays. However, I don't see funding being an issue and expect it will pick up after CitizenCon and further module releases. Don't think that just because I like the game that I don't have my concerns - it would be shocking if I didn't.

Anyway, I'll be at CitizenCon next month and will hopefully get to meet Chris Roberts and the gang. Should be an interesting reveal. It will either solidify my faith in the project or raise some serious concerns. Based on what I've heard is coming next month I'm optimistic. However, I wasn't really impressed with the Gamescom presentation just gone - it seemed like too little progress had been made.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 30, 2015, 07:07
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 07:07
Sep 30, 2015, 07:07

I have been and continue to be a supporter of this game. I don't really care about the speculation of chaos within CIG. Whether it's true or not is not important to me, but the metrics are. The pace has been glacial. At this rate, the game will be finished in many years, and funding will have dried up well before then. I'd really like to hear an alternate take, because the numbers aren't adding up, and I can't see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry, there is no alternate take. The noise and the downward trend for funding (which explains why sources tell me they have been looking for investors, but no takers so far), coupled with the sheer amount of work left to do, are indicative of that.

The project is FUBAR and there is no going back.

Sep 30, 2015, 03:41
Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 03:41
Sep 30, 2015, 03:41

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 21:05:

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 14:57:
Regardless of who is raising these issues, are you not concerned at all? A company of this size typically burns through $2.5-3M per month, and has been operating 3 years already. How much of that $90M remains? The game isn't anywhere close to being finished. The numbers aren't adding up for me.
Am I concerned that they'll run out of funding? Based on the funding timeline - no. This year will see the release of Star Marine, multi-crew and the Baby PU, as well as a reveal of S42 at CitizenCon. That will increase interest in the game and lead to more people backing it. CIG will also balance the size of the development team to the level of funding.

Funding is absolutely something that CIG will have to monitor but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they're reckless with spending. However, I reserve the right to change my opinion should funding drop off and spending remain at an unsustainable level.

Is this the funding timeline you're talking about? Or do you have access to another one that also shows expenditures? Here's the funding for this year, per that doc:

Jan - $3,270,829
Feb - $2,399,668
Mar - $3,183,965
Apr - $3,211,615
May - $2,815,387
Jun - $1,061,274
Jul - - $917,744
Aug - $2,781,241
Sep - $1,215,517

Whenever they hold a ship sale, they make around $3M. When they don't, they make around $1M. That being said, it looks like it's hitting the point of diminishing returns. The funding trend month over month is starting to flatten out.

Just a few simple questions to you and Fingers.

• When do you expect SQ 42 to be finished?
  • When do you expect the PU to be finished?
  • They want to make 100 star systems with multiple environments. They have two partially complete. When do you expect them to finish them all?
  • How many of these 100 systems should they be releasing per quarter to stay on track with a reasonable release date? Three? Five? Ten?
  • If they fail to reach their goal of 100 systems, how many will you be satisfied with?

COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Sep 30, 2015, 01:56
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 01:56
Sep 30, 2015, 01:56
 Kxmode

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 21:05:
You had your investment refunded, so the amount you backed for is utterly irrelevant. All you do is whine about the project. Yours actions go far beyond mere criticism - you're clearly a troll.

The great thing about this site is you are free to express statements like these and I won't hate you for it. In fact I understand your passion for Star Citizen because I was a "White Knight" once. However realize I am only doing what I feel is right even if you don't. The reason? The list of crowdfunding charlatans is growing and I fear this is going to have a toxic affect on crowdfunding as a whole. Just today many of us proudly and gleefully backed Battletech. Imagine if CIG imploded to the tune of nearly 90 million crowdfunded money.

Well imagine no more. From what I've been privy to CIG has all the inner workings of a classic long con. Chris and his German lawyer partner Ortwin Freyermuth have had runs in with the German legal system, as I understand it, for being sued by German investors for ripping them off of millions on bad movie deals; something Uwe Boll is well known for. I believe one of those cases is still pending. Derek would be able to clarify this more than I since he has insider knowledge.

CIG is also hemorrhaging about 3 million per month with insider sources claiming they have around 8-10 million remaining. If they keep their current burn rate going they'll be broke by February. This is why they are SO reliant - now, more than ever - on CitCon and their latest LTI ship offering. It's also why they're committing to a massive "streamlining" effort before year's ends. [1, 2]

Anyhow despite the sound and fury you bring to these forums. They honestly signify nothing. If and when CIG collapses the only thing remaining will be all those tales told by poor players. (Like my little nod to MacBeth?)

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2015, 04:12.
147 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older