Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Dawn of War Free Weekend

Steam News announces a big weekend sale on the Dawn of War franchise that includes the opportunity to play any of the games in the real-time strategy series for free until Sunday afternoon. Here's word:
Play the Dawn of War Franchise for FREE starting now through Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time! You can also pickup the Dawn of War Franchise at 75% off the regular price!*

If you already have Steam installed, then you can click on the following to install or play:
Dawn of War Game of the Year Edition
Dawn of War Dark Crusade
Dawn of War Winter Assault
Dawn of War Soulstorm
Dawn of War II
Dawn of War II Chaos Rising
Dawn of War II Retribution

If you don't have Steam, you can download it here.

*Offer ends Monday at 10AM Pacific Time.
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 25, 2015, 16:16 PHJF

They should give it to Firaxis and have them XCom-isize it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 25, 2015, 13:59 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 03:31:
I guess Im the only one who liked DOW2.
DoW2 isnt that bad, but it is stuck between genres. It sure is a horrible RTS (because it aint one anymore) and for a tactic RPG its too limited and shallow.

I wish for some potential DoW3 that either Relic goes back to the proven RTS road or they make one heck of a tactic RPG with all bells and whistles.

11. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 25, 2015, 03:31 InBlack

I guess Im the only one who liked DOW2. I loved its multiplayer for whatever reason, and because playable Tyranids FTW!!!. Also I guess because it didnt really depend on APM so much. The slow as molasses matchmaker ruined it for me though. God that was terrible....  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 25, 2015, 00:21 PHJF

Soulstorm was developed by Iron Lore, not Relic. And it didn't help coming out fully 17 months after Dark Crusade, and less than a year prior to Dawn of War 2.

But, yeah, Dark Crusade is like the Mecca of RTS.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 22:41 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:48:
Creston wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:14:
Cool. I'd been thinking about replaying Soulstorm again at some point. I played it when it came out and it was a massive resource hog which made me get really fed up with how long it took to load everything (like 40 seconds to load a map.)

On a modern computer it should be a lot better.
Soulstorm is... ok. Basically massing/spamming air power is the way to go for any situation. I think the previous expansions had better balance. Still, there are some decent mods out for Soulstorm too, so it's not a complete loss.

Yeah it wasn't as good as Dark Crusade (which was AWESOME) unfortunately. Never quite figured out how they managed to fuck that up.

8. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 21:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:14:
Cool. I'd been thinking about replaying Soulstorm again at some point. I played it when it came out and it was a massive resource hog which made me get really fed up with how long it took to load everything (like 40 seconds to load a map.)

Soulstorm is... ok. Basically massing/spamming air power is the way to go for any situation. I think the previous expansions had better balance. Still, there are some decent mods out for Soulstorm too, so it's not a complete loss.

7. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 21:01 Paranoid Jack

CoH is the best RTS in my eyes. Every piece has a counter. Every grouping of units has a counter. Some may be harder to break but that is every RTS for the past decade. I haven't been able to play a WC/SC or DoW type RTS since playing the first CoH.  

6. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 20:43 jacobvandy

FloorPie wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:19:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:08:
Dawn of War up to the Winter Assault expansion is one of my favorite RTS games all time, especially with mods.

It's such a shame Relic went in such a different, smaller scale direction with DoW2.

I bought DoW2 on sale for like 4 bucks, can barely get into it at all. On the other side of the coin, I've probably got 250+ hours in the various flavors of DoW1/mods at this point.

Same here. I just could not get into DoW2. I did not want a Company of Heroes version of DoW. I still play DoW1 with some mods every so often. Bought every expansion.

Company of Heroes was a smaller scale than DoW, sure, but it was still nothing like DoW2. They actually ruined CoH in a similar way with that last expansion and eventually the sequel, by simplifying it to the same level of micro squad tactics as DoW2. It's like somewhere along the line Relic went batshit insane and forgot how to make good RTS games. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the MOBA craze had something to do with them betting so heavily on that style of gameplay...

5. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 20:19 FloorPie

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:08:
Dawn of War up to the Winter Assault expansion is one of my favorite RTS games all time, especially with mods.

It's such a shame Relic went in such a different, smaller scale direction with DoW2.

I bought DoW2 on sale for like 4 bucks, can barely get into it at all. On the other side of the coin, I've probably got 250+ hours in the various flavors of DoW1/mods at this point.

Same here. I just could not get into DoW2. I did not want a Company of Heroes version of DoW. I still play DoW1 with some mods every so often. Bought every expansion.

4. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 20:14 Creston

3. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 20:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

2. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 19:58 KilrathiAce

They beating on that dead franchise lone enough  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

1. Re: Dawn of War Free Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 19:58 Darks

Heh, this game is so old and outdated that they should just give it away free at this point.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >