Op Ed

Smart Speak: Star Citizen – The Long Con. Thanks Kxmode.
"This company was given millions of dollars to deliver a product. They have not delivered that product. And in all likelihood, the company – and project – will both fail before they even get to delivering even 50% of what’s promised. There isn’t a single pro developer on this planet, who after looking at what has thus far been delivered, compared to what was promised up to $65m funded, will say that they can deliver this product within the next three years. That aside from the fact that I still do not believe that have the tech to do the game they pitched. In fact, since my first blog, I have already proven that much by their own dev updates which clearly show that they were still attempting to build said tech. Four years later."

View : : :
127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Sep 29, 2015, 21:30
Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2015, 21:30
Sep 29, 2015, 21:30

dsmart wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 12:47:
Nice try.

Facts: Jim Sterling was running the game at a non-industry standard resolution unsupported by this ALPHA game in EARLY ACCESS.

We added support for that resolutionin the 09/11 build mere days later. Including 4K res, which most gamers don't even have the rig for most games. We got thanked for it.

But since you neither own, nor play the game, this matters not to you.
The game is still a broken mess, which is the point I was making. It is utterly hypocritical of you to criticise other developers when your game is unplayable for so many and has a pathetic 17% approval rating on Steam. Your game is a trainwreck, yet in all of your attacks you link to your own website to increase the profile of your project. If you were being sincere you wouldn't feel the need to link to your own website all the time.

You seem to be annoyed that somebody else is making a better project than you, which apparently hurts your ego.

Blue wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 11:34:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
I demonstrated that Derek Smart's claims do not hold up to scrutiny. I refuted his claim on merit and then went on to point out that his claims are a classic case of projection. I simply posted across two topics. None of Captain Smart's claims stand up to scrutiny or are supported by evidence - it's complete conjecture / speculation.

Kxmode wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 13:03:
I never said I hated Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium Games, Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Ortwin Freyermuth, or anyone else involved in the project. However CIG has a financial obligation to be honest with those whose money they take. So far they haven't and there's reams (yes reams) of evidence to this fact. Why do I care if I'm no longer a backer? I back other projects (including one I'm most proud to back MADE[1]). If CIG and Star Citizen collapse the shockwave is going to hit crowdfunding / early access like a tsunami. Indie developers won't have the courage to ask public for financial assistance and games like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Elite Dangerous, and the like won't exist. It's nothing personal, it's just business. I'm doing this because I truly believe my efforts will help save crowdfunding / early access. If I do nothing I think the fallout from a CIG / Star Citizen collapse would be detrimental.
You can justify you're trolling however you see fit but your agenda is transparent for all to see.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 28, 2015, 13:09
Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2015, 13:09
Sep 28, 2015, 13:09

But since you neither own, nor play the game

That's the safest assumption you've ever made.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2015, 13:26.

Sep 28, 2015, 13:03
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2015, 13:03
Sep 28, 2015, 13:03
 Kxmode

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 10:48:
It's no surprise to see it was Kxmode who linked to the article, given his zealotic hatred of the game. Apparently he has nothing better to do with his life than bash the game - I almost pity him that this is the only thing that brings him enjoyment. At least with Derek Smart it's an egotistical attempt to get more attention and sales for his game - he's an asshat but he doesn't pretend to be anything but.

I never said I hated Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium Games, Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Ortwin Freyermuth, or anyone else involved in the project. However CIG has a financial obligation to be honest with those whose money they take. So far they haven't and there's reams (yes reams) of evidence to this fact. Why do I care if I'm no longer a backer? I back other projects (including one I'm most proud to back MADE[1]). If CIG and Star Citizen collapse the shockwave is going to hit crowdfunding / early access like a tsunami. Indie developers won't have the courage to ask public for financial assistance and games like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Elite Dangerous, and the like won't exist. It's nothing personal, it's just business. I'm doing this because I truly believe my efforts will help save crowdfunding / early access. If I do nothing I think the fallout from a CIG / Star Citizen collapse would be detrimental.

[1] MADE (The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment). The museum of video games. There's 17 days remaining if you'd like to support our collective heritage.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 28, 2015, 12:47
Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2015, 12:47
Sep 28, 2015, 12:47

Derek Smart whining about a game taking too long and underdelivering is classic projection when you look at the shit he peddles. Here's a reminder in case anyone is unaware of how shit Derek Smart's games are. He is the least credible person in the industry to criticise Star Citizen and it's disappointing that Blue is giving him attention.

It's no surprise to see it was Kxmode who linked to the article, given his zealotic hatred of the game. Apparently he has nothing better to do with his life than bash the game - I almost pity him that this is the only thing that brings him enjoyment. At least with Derek Smart it's an egotistical attempt to get more attention and sales for his game - he's an asshat but he doesn't pretend to be anything but.

Nice try.

Facts: Jim Sterling was running the game at a non-industry standard resolution unsupported by this ALPHA game in EARLY ACCESS.

We added support for that resolutionin the 09/11 build mere days later. Including 4K res, which most gamers don't even have the rig for most games. We got thanked for it.

But since you neither own, nor play the game, this matters not to you.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Sep 28, 2015, 11:34
Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2015, 11:34
Sep 28, 2015, 11:34

Derek Smart whining about a game taking too long and underdelivering is classic projection when you look at the shit he peddles. Here's a reminder in case anyone is unaware of how shit Derek Smart's games are. He is the least credible person in the industry to criticise Star Citizen and it's disappointing that Blue is giving him attention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Sep 28, 2015, 10:48
Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2015, 10:48
Sep 28, 2015, 10:48

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 25, 2015, 14:39
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 14:39
Sep 25, 2015, 14:39
 Kxmode

Henry Dorsett wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 13:01:
You know, the funny thing is, I've made more progress on a space dogfight game that I started as a fun way for me to learn UE4 than CR and CIG have shown for Squadron 42... And I started it in March.

Well you just don't understand fidelitah and immurshun!
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 25, 2015, 14:14
Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 14:14
Sep 25, 2015, 14:14

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 13:43:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:55:

The point of interest now is Squadron 42, When will it ship? What state will in be in? Surly if they don't get it out within the next 9-12 months it's game over man, game over. (when it does come out, it needs to deliver from the get go, none of this 'it's still alpha, pre-alpha even' shit that the fanbois roll out about the current efforts. - It needs to be bug free and optimized)

Yeah, this was always my interest as well, the PU was just icing. Episode 1 was supposed to come out end of this year, which probably means Spring 2016. It is supposed to be 70 missions, so if that gets released, and RSI crashes and burns after that, I'll have gotten my $35 worth.

For the record, I'm not in any way hoping for Roberts to fail.

EDIT: Now I'm reading even Ep 1 is 15 months away? *sigh*

Bonus points: I doubt it'll be 70 missions either. Maybe *all* the episodes will be 70 missions.

But you'll have to pay for those it sounds like. Or you won't. It's hard to tell. Which suggests to me you will.

Sep 25, 2015, 14:05
Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 14:05
Sep 25, 2015, 14:05

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 03:24:
dsmart wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 22:16:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 20:55:
Ok, I'm officially sick of popcorn after these SC threads. The next one is going to have to be celery/carrot sticks and Hummus or something.

Off on the Space sim tangent, Elite:Dangerous is still on sale on Steam... worth buying at that price? ($27~) Or still to empty to bother?

*EDIT* Typo.

Don't ask. Buy it. Thanks us later.

I was actually advised NOT to buy it right now. Apparently it doesn't include access to E:D Horizons, the new planetary landing module that ships in a few weeks. That will be a separate purchase which will also include the full game. SC isn't the only company to do shady things for a buck.

Horizons doesn't ship in a few weeks. If memory serves it *might* ship end of year.

Sep 25, 2015, 13:43
Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 13:43
Sep 25, 2015, 13:43

Kosumo wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:55:

The point of interest now is Squadron 42, When will it ship? What state will in be in? Surly if they don't get it out within the next 9-12 months it's game over man, game over. (when it does come out, it needs to deliver from the get go, none of this 'it's still alpha, pre-alpha even' shit that the fanbois roll out about the current efforts. - It needs to be bug free and optimized)

Yeah, this was always my interest as well, the PU was just icing. Episode 1 was supposed to come out end of this year, which probably means Spring 2016. It is supposed to be 70 missions, so if that gets released, and RSI crashes and burns after that, I'll have gotten my $35 worth.

For the record, I'm not in any way hoping for Roberts to fail.

EDIT: Now I'm reading even Ep 1 is 15 months away? *sigh*

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2015, 13:51.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Sep 25, 2015, 13:01
Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 13:01
Sep 25, 2015, 13:01

You know, the funny thing is, I've made more progress on a space dogfight game that I started as a fun way for me to learn UE4 than CR and CIG have shown for Squadron 42... And I started it in March.

But, hey, who knows, maybe there's gonna be a bunch of people who want to work on a new space game soon.

Sep 25, 2015, 04:40
Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 04:40
Sep 25, 2015, 04:40

Well, I'll follow that up InBlack with a ....

Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:54 Kosumo

"I’ve been down the big company acquisition route twice before and there’s a reason I am making Star Citizen totally independently!"

Which is what?

a)No publisher want anything to do with him.

b)So he can dream all he likes without ever making it happen.

c)Cos his new Church of Christ Roberts answers only to God (Him).

d)He's made so many AAA games in the last ten years, he knows how it's done.

Sep 25, 2015, 03:11
Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 03:11
Sep 25, 2015, 03:11

Fuck it...Im gonna make the effort now:

InBlack wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 09:25:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 05:52:
InBlack wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 03:45:
Hello my name is Failed Hasbeen who made a few really cool games in the rose-tinted-ancient-past of the 90's.
If anyone can make a space sim work in 201X, it's Chris Roberts. If he can't do it then the genre is probably dead for good, as the pool of people with any kind of experience developing the genre is only going to shrink.

Thats pure conjecture how can the genre shrink from nonexistance? Its not like Chris Roberts was or is the ultimate space sim developer and the games were hardly original. Sure the first few Wind Commander games were quite good, but they werent even close to the greatness of Xwing or Tie Fighter. In my opinion Freespace1 & 2 were better games as well, all they lacked was FMVs. Hell, even the setting of the games is a complete rippoff of Larry Niven's world building Ringworld novel combined with a heavy dose of Babylon 5. Still they were good games for their time, and their biggest innovation were FMVs which were very cool but kind of gimmicky as no one could afford live action hollywood actors who would star in interactive movies.

All Im saying is that there are so many developers who are asking for money out of OUR pocket to develop their games which MIGHT or MIGHT NOT ever see the light of day or might not end up even remotely close to what we were expecting of them, its crazy...

I wish Roberts the best of luck but I would still advise caution, he hasnt been making games for a while and I will save my money for a cancer cure crowdsource...(or something practical along those lines)
I have a nifty blue line!

Sep 25, 2015, 00:19
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 00:19
Sep 25, 2015, 00:19
 Kxmode

Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight. - Star Citizens Salute

Sep 25, 2015, 00:16
Fugazi

Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 00:16
Sep 25, 2015, 00:16
 Fugazi

Geez. What a bloodbath - and James and Alyssa's Twitter feeds seem to bear out what Derek is hearing.
What a shame...
The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

Sep 24, 2015, 23:08
Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 23:08
Sep 24, 2015, 23:08

Meanwhile, over on /r/StarCitizen on Reddit, they are taking a poll to determine if, like the RSI forums, they should ban any/all Derek Smart discussions.

It's kinda cute.

But I gave them terms and conditions for their surrender.

Tomorrow should be hilarious.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

Sep 24, 2015, 23:01
Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 23:01
Sep 24, 2015, 23:01

Kxmode wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:21:
What planet do I live on where people post stuff like this and they're okay with their decision?

I give [my money] to them so that [CIG] [has] the resources [to] make a living while doing their art. Just like all the people who donate money to a professional orchestra or to a museum. I give it to them so that they can do what they do. I give it because of my love of what they make and in the hope that they will make something beautiful that I can appreciate.

So suffice to say, CIG could be filing for bankruptcy tomorrow and [I] will not be asking for a refund.

Fucking bonkers

I think CIG has some of the dumbest and riches fans in the world.

Eh, patronage to (an) artist(s) IS one of the things the well-off are known to do quite frequently, so if they wish to see their donations that way, it sort of makes sense.

Of course, if you give your money to, say, your local PAC, you'll get stuff in return for it. You will get to see Operas, and interesting plays, and orchestras etc. My wife and I donate to our local PAC.

With SC you get pictures of pretend spaceships with the promise that "It'll be 200 meters!"

I guess maybe they are really PRETTY pictures of pretend spaceships.

Sep 24, 2015, 22:48
Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 22:48
Sep 24, 2015, 22:48

Sepharo wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 22:25:
dsmart wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 22:21:
Well, some sad news to report

You know that, right or wrong, you're going to be blamed for this right?

Yes. But that's largely irrelevant I think. All they've done is made more enemies, and hopefully given us and the media more credible sources.

Sep 24, 2015, 22:45
Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 22:45
Sep 24, 2015, 22:45

Don't fear, I'm sure The Chairman and his Dancing Pal will tell us all about it.

I'm sure its just to improve the fidelity.

Buy a ship.

300+ post in less than a hour

Sep 24, 2015, 22:25
Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 22:25
Sep 24, 2015, 22:25

You know that, right or wrong, you're going to be blamed for this right?
127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older