Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

"Star Wars" Theatrical Cuts On Blu-ray indicates we may yet get unadulterated versions of the original trilogy (thanks nin). This is not really that shocking, I'd have been more surprised if Mickey left that cash on the table. My question, not that it's very important, is will they go full purist and use the original scroll for the first movie which does not identify it as episode four. Like I say, no big deal, I can't even explain why I find this intriguing at all.

Restored Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Business Simulator.
Jolly Swipe.
Death Arena Reality Show.
Science: Sweden tests the six hours work day, with impressive results. Thanks JDreyer.
Media: Inappropriate Laugh Track - Volume 1. Spoilers (and bad taste).
ANIME IN REAL LIFE!!!!. Thanks Ori.
Riding "The Convincer."
The Funnies: Do Not Breathe In.
View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 18:06 Megalodon

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 13:53:
The idea that someone can nostradamus the market is hilarious, there are way too many factors to make any sort of accurate prediction in terms of the date.

If anyone had the ability to do so then companies wouldn't spend billions rigging the political process to assert control over economic policy.

The video is stupid and looks like any other false prophet message.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Financial Predictions Sep 21, 2015, 15:35 RedEye9

My full proof method for market prediction consists of a proprietary blend of tasseography, taromancy, cleromancy and augury.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 13:53 Verno

The idea that someone can nostradamus the market is hilarious, there are way too many factors to make any sort of accurate prediction in terms of the date. Governments and major hedges often have no idea, let alone some random guy. Conveniently when people are making such predictions the dates are too far off for most people to remember they were wrong and call them out on it. Or they play revisionist history with the prediction or its pointlessly vague. Then the cycle continues. People have been making such claims forever and all have been full of shit.

"interest rates will rise within 5 years" thanks mr wizard

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2015, 14:03.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 11:45 Mr. Tact

Listen, it's possible he actually has some insight into financial trends. The bugaboo is him claiming exact dates, he can't know that. Look at the mortgage bubble from 2008. Almost no one saw it coming, a couple of guys did. However, even they would tell you they didn't know when exactly the bubble would burst. Just that they knew it was unsustainable and that eventually it would. So, they shorted things in such a way that when it did happen, they became billionaires. This guy probably is a smart guy, but there is no way he is predicting exact dates of future financial events.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 11:41 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 10:23:
Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 08:35:
He was predicting specific dates well in advance of them and has nailed them all. There's no con here. He's just tapped into a model that by tracking global financial data has led to hyper accurate predictions of what the market is going to do.
Okay, exactly why isn't he a multi-billionaire if this is true?

If the movie ever makes it Showtime/HBO/whatever -- I'll try to steel myself and watch it. But I suspect it will be like watching a magic act, lots of flash not a lot of substance. Just because I don't know how a magician does his trick/illusion doesn't mean I believe in magic. I suspect that's how I'll feel after watching this -- possibly entertaining, but nothing having to do with the real world.

Because he's not predicting the day to day market but the long term cycles of boom bust. He's not psychic.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 10:23 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 08:35:
He was predicting specific dates well in advance of them and has nailed them all. There's no con here. He's just tapped into a model that by tracking global financial data has led to hyper accurate predictions of what the market is going to do.
Okay, exactly why isn't he a multi-billionaire if this is true?

If the movie ever makes it Showtime/HBO/whatever -- I'll try to steel myself and watch it. But I suspect it will be like watching a magic act, lots of flash not a lot of substance. Just because I don't know how a magician does his trick/illusion doesn't mean I believe in magic. I suspect that's how I'll feel after watching this -- possibly entertaining, but nothing having to do with the real world.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 08:47 Creston

Sorry George, Mickey, but I'm done being your cash cow for Yet Another Edition.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 08:35 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 22:50:
I watched the 10 minute trailer and saw nothing but anecdotal evidence. Stories of he said this and he said that. My explanation is he is a con man and a felon.

Predicting a failure of sovereign debt isn't much of a prediction. Plenty of people are predicting that. The problem is even in the standard world of economics Nobel Prize winning economists will argue completely opposite sides of an economic theory. I have seen debate by economists on this very subject, and frankly it left me baffled.

If he has specific future predictions, I'll be glad to hear them -- and then watch them pass unfulfilled.

He was predicting specific dates well in advance of them and has nailed them all. There's no con here. He's just tapped into a model that by tracking global financial data has led to hyper accurate predictions of what the market is going to do. It's why he was held in prison for 7 years on contempt charges for never handing over his model to the government. Your reaction is a natural one and the correct one, however watch the rest of it and it becomes clear.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 08:19  Blue 

Krovven wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 22:36:
Anyone getting phishing popups on Blues today? Browsing on my phone and today is the first times it's happened, but now it's happened 4 times today and it's not happening on any other sites using my phone.

3 more times while trying to make this post. Seems to be a lot of banking and financing ads on the site today. Usually gaming related ads is it not?

Really sorry about that... Hopefully this has been taken care of already.

Please let me know if you see it again.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 05:12 El Pit

I remember Lucas being interviewed about releasing the theatrical cuts just after the special editions got released. He HONESTLY told the reporter that this would no longer be possible since the original negative had been cut and re-edited for the special editions. Sarcasticclap

That was the first sign of Lucas living in his own world even before the production of Phantom Menace. I wonder if he really believed in the stupid lies that he fed people right then.

On the other hand, I will always be thankful for his contribution to the movie business. Star Wars Original Trilogy, the first three Indiana Jones movies, Willow, and his genius with special effects and how his Industrial Light & Magic enterprise revolutionised Hollywood blockbusters - WOW. In my opinion that outweighs the Prequel Trilogy, Indiana Jones and the Nuking of the Fridge.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 00:03 harlock

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 19:57:
True, just pointing out that The Iliad is one of the oldest Hero's Journey stories, and has pretty much influenced everything that has come since.

i disagree. all epic poems from all cultures are equally influential in the sense of influencing "everything", which is a bullshit generic statement that may as well be meaningless... furthermore its not nearly as blatantly superficial and academically referential as to have a literal "hero" figure, AND literal "shadow" figure, AND literal "old man" figure

there is direct evidence for what im mentioning... im not just talking out of my ass like you

trying to compare star wars to a historical epic is fucking laughable in the extreme

but hey - if you still get a hard on for dolls and action figures, then im sure you will love all that

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2015, 00:09.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 23:37 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 22:36:
Anyone getting phishing popups on Blues today? Browsing on my phone and today is the first times it's happened, but now it's happened 4 times today and it's not happening on any other sites using my phone.

3 more times while trying to make this post. Seems to be a lot of banking and financing ads on the site today. Usually gaming related ads is it not?

I haven't seen anything like that lately. Sometimes on Android I'll get an instant redirect when I go to Blues, usually to the play store for some game. On desktop, if I leave a particular Blues window open too long, the auto play vids will cause a memory leak, either tanking perf until I kill it or causing flashplayer to crash.

As for ad types, it's either related to some site I've been to, like Amazon, or just random. For a while I was getting a lot of pregnancy related stuff on my work laptop, even though I've not searched for anything like that in a decade, and I'm the only one who uses this machine (encrypted, PW protected work machine).

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 22:50 Mr. Tact

I watched the 10 minute trailer and saw nothing but anecdotal evidence. Stories of he said this and he said that. My explanation is he is a con man and a felon.

Predicting a failure of sovereign debt isn't much of a prediction. Plenty of people are predicting that. The problem is even in the standard world of economics Nobel Prize winning economists will argue completely opposite sides of an economic theory. I have seen debate by economists on this very subject, and frankly it left me baffled.

If he has specific future predictions, I'll be glad to hear them -- and then watch them pass unfulfilled.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 22:36 Krovven

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 22:31 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 20:06:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 19:56:
Haven't watched it yet, but a lot of natural phenomena are based on predictable mathematical formulas, like Fibonacci.
Yes, I'm quite sure you could predict the stock market by analyzing the digits of Pi. I suggest you immediately invest your life savings in the stock market using this strategy. Rolleyes

That's just a correlation. His models are much more complex than that. And so far the guy is batting 1000 over the last 30 years. Explain that away. Watch the documentary and it explains this in considerably more detail. I guess we'll see if he's right in about a two weeks.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 20:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 19:56:
Haven't watched it yet, but a lot of natural phenomena are based on predictable mathematical formulas, like Fibonacci.
Yes, I'm quite sure you could predict the stock market by analyzing the digits of Pi. I suggest you immediately invest your life savings in the stock market using this strategy. Rolleyes

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 19:57 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 16:43:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 15:42:
harlock wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 15:02:
or, watch Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, then read some Lensman and Castaneda books, followed by a few Joseph Campbell documentaries

Or, just read The Iliad.

star wars isnt directly modeled on that. it is directly modeled on the items i mentioned

sometimes bordering on plagarism

True, just pointing out that The Iliad is one of the oldest Hero's Journey stories, and has pretty much influenced everything that has come since.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 19:56 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 17:12:
Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 16:28:
The Forecaster

This film is a must see. In the next few weeks we'll see if another one of his prediction models come to pass - which he forecasted in in 1998 - The Sovereign Debt Big Bang. One of the most mesmerizing docs I've ever seen.
I was sort of interested, until I saw his predictions are based on Pi. Uh, yeah -- sure. Next!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 18:38 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 17:12:
Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 16:28:
The Forecaster

This film is a must see. In the next few weeks we'll see if another one of his prediction models come to pass - which he forecasted in in 1998 - The Sovereign Debt Big Bang. One of the most mesmerizing docs I've ever seen.
I was sort of interested, until I saw his predictions are based on Pi. Uh, yeah -- sure. Next!

Didn't Nostradamus use Pi?
But seriously, if Armstrong did things like this:
Martin Armstrong predicted the exact date of the October crash in 1987
He would not only have been one of the wealthiest pricks on wall street, he would have been the RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD. I mean, just look at Biff in 'Back To The Future II', all he had was a Gray's Sports Almanac.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 18:29 1badmf

DangerDog wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 17:28:
http://www.blastr.com/2011/03/3_ways_george_lucas_wife.php

I'm still convinced that to a greater extent it was Marcia Lucas that was the true hero behind the success of Star Wars and many other movies. I can imagine her being the only one to tell Lucas a bad idea from a good one.

The version I saw in the theater included an extremely short scene of Luke looking up into the sky with his binoculars and seeing an outline of the star destroyer, sort of hazy. It also included the full version of Leia kissing Luke "for luck" before swinging across the trench in the death star. I've never seen the full version of that scene ever again. Lucas tampered with the movies from the very start, he just went full retard on the special editions.

wow. was that in the orig theatrical? i think i remember the full-on kiss for luck, but the rest would be news to me. and i've gone around and seen deleted scenes of biggs on tatooine.

edit: wow, just read that article. sounds like the way the films were originally shot, they would've been the same unfinished mess that the prequels turned out to be. george was a visionary, but clearly he needed a lot of help to streamline his work and give it some soul.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2015, 18:37.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >