Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend

A free weekend is now underway on Steam for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, accompanied by a 75% off sale on the sci-fi strategy game. On a related note, there is also a new announcement of a pre-purchase incentive for XCOM 2, the game's upcoming sequel. Those who commit in advance will receive a free copy of the Resistance Warrior Pack. Word is: "Customize your squad of resistance fighters with bonus outfits, headgear, and custom facial war paint. Instantly unlock a survivor of the old war as a recruit in your barracks."
View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 13, 2015, 15:21 Tulwinn

Yifes wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 01:43:
Tulwinn wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 15:25:
Thanks guys I appreciate the info, I will go for the Complete Pack. I would have tried it this weeked but have vistors so no play time for me

Keep in mind the new XCOM is quite different from UFO:EU, and some aspect of it may be frustrating. The strategic layer for example, is no longer a strategic simulation, and more like an artificial board game where you try desperately to manage countries' panic until you get your satellite coverage up. Satellite determines income and help manage panic, and are now the most important aspect of the geoscape.

The tactical game has also significantly changed, but despite removing some staples of UFO like time units and inventory management, I think Firaxis made a damn good game and a worthy sequel. Once you beaten Enemy Within on Classic, I highly recommend you check out The Long War mod, which makes significant changes and improvements to the game. I think Enemy Within + The Long War has now replaced UFO:EU as my favorite game in the series, despite all the nostalgia I have with UFO.
Thanks for the info, I really like the original and have been replaying it on android. A change isnt a bad thing, if I want the style of the original It will always be there. I'll give the long war a shot provided I manage to beat it

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 23:33:
Thanks guys I appreciate the info, I will go for the Complete Pack. I would have tried it this weeked but have vistors so no play time for me

PSSST! Kick them out! Get that you time you so desperately need. Beam
haha no way, they are good people, and its board game time this weekend! Xcom the board game has been discussed

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 13, 2015, 01:43 Yifes

Keep in mind the new XCOM is quite different from UFO:EU, and some aspect of it may be frustrating. The strategic layer for example, is no longer a strategic simulation, and more like an artificial board game where you try desperately to manage countries' panic until you get your satellite coverage up. Satellite determines income and help manage panic, and are now the most important aspect of the geoscape.

The tactical game has also significantly changed, but despite removing some staples of UFO like time units and inventory management, I think Firaxis made a damn good game and a worthy sequel. Once you beaten Enemy Within on Classic, I highly recommend you check out The Long War mod, which makes significant changes and improvements to the game. I think Enemy Within + The Long War has now replaced UFO:EU as my favorite game in the series, despite all the nostalgia I have with UFO.

34. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 12, 2015, 23:33 Slashman

PSSST! Kick them out! Get that you time you so desperately need. Beam

33. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 12, 2015, 15:25 Tulwinn

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 12, 2015, 14:53 Creston

Xcom enemy within is fantastic. If you've never played it, go right ahead, you should have a great time.

The Bureau is a very mixed bag. I honestly quite enjoy the battle sequences in it, it has very nice visuals, and some of the levels you're traversing are fantastic. On the flipside, however, it is brutally fucking hard, and the homebase sequences are so mind-numbingly boring that it's just a slog to sit through them.

Nobody told their designers that just having homebase stuff where you talk to NPCs doesn't automatically make games better. It needs to actually be INTERESTING in order to do that. 8 minute discussions with NPCs, all of them voiced by voice actors who mailed shit in by phone, talking about literally nothing of interest or consequence is just plain fucking awful.

If you're a big XCom fan, pick it up for 5 bucks, but otherwise skip it.

Enemy Within, however, is just one of the better games made in the last five years and deserves a playthrough.

31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 12, 2015, 11:47 Yifes

Tulwinn wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 03:53:
Hi guys could someone give me a little advice, I was a big fan of UFO but havent tried this until now. Ive seen enemy within mentioned so I looked at getting the pack XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack but I noticed it doesnt include the bureau (which has its own pack XCOM: Enemy Unknown + The Bureau). Does any one have any advice which to get, what order to try, or all of them? Thanks

Get XCOM: Enemy Unknown complete pack. It contains the base game, Enemy Unknown, plus the excellent expansion Enemy Within, which adds tons of maps, new items, new soldier classes (Mecs), etc. Enemy Within is NOT a sequel, so you can start an Enemy Within campaign right away and skip the vanilla EU campaign without missing anything.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is an one time spin-off 3rd person shooter that really has nothing to do with XCOM, story wise or gameplay. You can get it if you want, but it has bad reviews and is a waste of time if you ask me.

30. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 12, 2015, 03:53 Tulwinn

Hi guys could someone give me a little advice, I was a big fan of UFO but havent tried this until now. Ive seen enemy within mentioned so I looked at getting the pack XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack but I noticed it doesnt include the bureau (which has its own pack XCOM: Enemy Unknown + The Bureau). Does any one have any advice which to get, what order to try, or all of them? Thanks  

29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 12, 2015, 02:28 Steele Johnson

What a great game! Got my ass kicked soooo many times, but still a great experience!  

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 22:05 Paranoid Jack

IMO X-Com 2 will be worth $80. Of course I won't be paying that. Just hold out for a 30% off code at GMG. That is the only reason I have already bought Fallout 4. They sent me a code and I jumped on it.

27. No subject Sep 11, 2015, 20:00 Mashiki Amiketo

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 11:12:
$80CDN to preorder xcom2
I'll wait for a deal on that one.

You and me both, and the entire time they'll be wondering why their sales are so shitty. Won't surprise me in the least that near release I'll be able to find it at EB, bestbuy/futureshop or Walmart for $20 less here in Canada.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 20:00 Yifes

Minuit wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:48:
LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 15:55:
This....Classic/Ironman is the starting difficulty, anything less is carebear mode.

Try the Long War mod. The original game on Impossible is like watching the opening movie compared to Long War.

The Long War is simply amazing, a must play for any XCOM fan. Even the makers of XCOM are huge fans of the mod. But holy shit is it hard... Exalt missions in the Long War are serious potentially team wiping disasters...

Krovven wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 15:46:
I'm not a massive XCom fan and was both pleased and frustrated with XCom:EU. It was a fun game, but there were too many weird line of sight and accuracy issues.

There will be a new line of sight tool in XCOM 2 that lets you check LOS before you move, so no more LOS issues.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2015, 20:13.

25. Re: Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 18:01 LiTh

Minuit wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:48:
This....Classic/Ironman is the starting difficulty, anything less is carebear mode.

Try the Long War mod. The original game on Impossible is like watching the opening movie compared to Long War.

I have and never completed (still trying), it is truly a challenge (which i really enjoy)! Personally i get excited when i lose at a computer game, it happens so rarely that it really adds to my enjoyment. Most games today i breeze through even on the most difficult settings. Its when i actually lose, over and over, does it finally peak my interest and get my synapses firing that i have a challenge on my hands.

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 16:48 Minuit

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 15:55 LiTh

Slashman wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 14:43:
Flatline wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 14:14:
PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 10:51:
The human enemies in XCOM are poorly integrated and have almost no scaling. It isn't long before they post no threat whatsoever but nevertheless continually harass XCOM, because pinpointing their base takes an unreasonable amount of time and/or trial and error. It could have been a lot more interesting if the enemy human forces more closely paralleled XCOM in equipment/abilities/tactics.

They hit Tier 2 weapons & upgrades generally speaking.

But yes, usually by the time you find their base unless you get lucky, you're starting into plasma and power armor and it's just a slaughter-fest.

Depends on the difficulty level and second wave options you choose. I play on classic/ironman with several second wave options so it wasn't all a simple cakewalk in my case. Laser weapons aren't completely harmless.

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 15:46 Krovven

Firaxis can suck my left nut if they think I'm paying $80 on Steam.

I'll get it cheaper elsewhere. I'm not a massive XCom fan and was both pleased and frustrated with XCom:EU. It was a fun game, but there were too many weird line of sight and accuracy issues. Even at $46 on GMG, that's pushing it. I've got no problem waiting until this is out, patched and a fraction of the price.

21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 14:43 Slashman

Flatline wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 14:14:
The human enemies in XCOM are poorly integrated and have almost no scaling. It isn't long before they post no threat whatsoever but nevertheless continually harass XCOM, because pinpointing their base takes an unreasonable amount of time and/or trial and error. It could have been a lot more interesting if the enemy human forces more closely paralleled XCOM in equipment/abilities/tactics.

But yes, usually by the time you find their base unless you get lucky, you're starting into plasma and power armor and it's just a slaughter-fest.

Depends on the difficulty level and second wave options you choose. I play on classic/ironman with several second wave options so it wasn't all a simple cakewalk in my case. Laser weapons aren't completely harmless.

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 14:14 Flatline

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 13:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoa, they've jumped up to $60 bucks(US) for XCOM 2? Sacrilege! Wasn't the first one like $40 or something for retail?

I've only been keeping halfway abreast of XCOM 2, so maybe it's supposed to be worth the $20 price hike, but it looks like I won't be pre-ordering.

For the record I loved classic X-Com, even TFTD, and all the remakes/clones since, as well as XCOM:EU/EW, so I'll get XCOM 2 after a price drop.

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 13:49 Peter M. Smith

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 12:50:
Exchange rate really suck balls
It's a combination of exchange rates and local taxation. Australia and New Zealand really mess with their citizens for overseas products.

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 13:28 AirWreck

If you are a fan of these, Xenonauts was pretty good. Requires a lot of ground missions, but the base and air elements are more interesting.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >