Out of the Blue

What It Looks Like To Leave Our Solar System At The Speed Of Light (thanks Derek) I love stuff like this so much I can watch without skipping ahead too much. It's so cool being able to visualize the unimaginable, though the title is deceptive (it actually ends a little past Jupiter). Anyway, pretty enlightening right off the bat, as I certainly never pictured Mercury being as far from the Sun as it actually is, as the vastness of space is even vaster than I'd pictured.

Vast Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: G-Switch 2.
The Village - Revisited.
3 Little Heroes.
Stories: Why drivers in China intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit. Thanks JDreyer.
Michigan Newspaper Claims the Large Hadron Collider Is Being Used as a "Stargate."
Science: Researchers Use DNA to Program Cells to Make Tissues in a lab.
Media: Seal gets a Tummy Rub.
Demented dog.
Surviving a Black Mamba bite. WTF?
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 6, 2015, 09:29
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2015, 09:29
Sep 6, 2015, 09:29

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2015, 02:07:
China is roughly the size of the continental US with 4 times the population.
Well, yes and no -- if you include Alaska which obviously is mostly unpopulated. But your point is well taken. Hell, there are plenty of people walking the streets of the US I'd like to run down with my car.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Sep 6, 2015, 02:07
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2015, 02:07
Sep 6, 2015, 02:07

jimnms wrote on Sep 6, 2015, 01:47:
Do they not have insurance in China? Either way, what kind of sick fucks could smash a child's head just because it's cheaper to pay for a funeral than medical bills.

I think this is what got me. While wealth reduces compassion, this isn't just your every day lack of empathy or callousness. It's the deliberate action of so many people running their car over a fallen body again and again. It's unfathomable.

China is roughly the size of the continental US with 4 times the population. I wonder if such an abundance cheapens its value in some way for those people.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 6, 2015, 01:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2015, 01:47
Sep 6, 2015, 01:47

Do they not have insurance in China? Either way, what kind of sick fucks could smash a child's head just because it's cheaper to pay for a funeral than medical bills.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Sep 5, 2015, 22:49
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 22:49
Sep 5, 2015, 22:49

Fucking China. Holy shit...

Sep 5, 2015, 22:30
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 22:30
Sep 5, 2015, 22:30

china doesnt give a fuck - in so very many ways

not sure why this particular example is so surprising, other than people just being stupid as shit and not knowing a goddamn thing about anything at all

Sep 5, 2015, 21:53
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 21:53
Sep 5, 2015, 21:53

Jerykk wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 21:02:
Julio wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 13:50:
The concept behind hit to kill isn't that different in the Western world. Those with money never facing real punishment is a common theme everywhere.

Except the people committing these crimes aren't all rich. I doubt most of the perps would have enough money to bribe the prosecutors. It may be a matter of practicality. Declaring something an accident is a lot cleaner and cheaper than declaring it a homicide.

It sounds like most of them are rich. Two of the cases mention BMWs (one of which was an unlicensed driver). One was the "enormous dirt covered truck" -- could be a case of fighting a company, or the government. The one the crowd beat to death was a wealthy driver. 3 cases don't mention the legal outcome. And on the flip side you have one execution and one 15 year prison sentence.

Also, I think the idea of homicide being more work than an accident gives too much credit to the integrity of due process in China.

Sep 5, 2015, 21:13
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 21:13
Sep 5, 2015, 21:13
 Cutter

The concept behind hit to kill isn't that different in the Western world. Those with money never facing real punishment is a common theme everywhere.

Yeah, we're not talking people rolling in it. It's just beyond insane that it's so easy to get away with murder. Seriously, that's like the fucking Twilight Zone. The cops there don't even want to bother working so they just lie on the murderer's behalf? It's a mad house. A MAD HOUSE!

I'm curious how many revenge killings there must be around this insanity? Imagine if someone ran over your child until they were sure they were dead, wouldn't you jump in your car and mow down their whole fucking family? I would.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2015, 02:31.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Sep 5, 2015, 21:02
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 21:02
Sep 5, 2015, 21:02

Except the people committing these crimes aren't all rich. I doubt most of the perps would have enough money to bribe the prosecutors. It may be a matter of practicality. Declaring something an accident is a lot cleaner and cheaper than declaring it a homicide.

Sep 5, 2015, 20:24
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 20:24
Sep 5, 2015, 20:24

Frags4Fun wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 13:52:
siapnar wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:28:
That story about Chinese drivers is fucking sickening

I thought the same thing. Disgusting!

Few things shock in this world any longer. We're just too jaded and acclimatized. This, however, shocked me. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 5, 2015, 17:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 17:51
Sep 5, 2015, 17:51

As someone else said, a very nice demonstration of how the speed of light is nearly meaningless against the distances of space, even just within our solar system. Interstellar space is so large it is difficult to actually conceive of it.

No one knows if we will ever be able to fold, warp, or whatever the space-time continuum. I certainly hope we will. And it is the greatest disappointment in my life that I will not live to see it.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Sep 5, 2015, 17:15
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 17:15
Sep 5, 2015, 17:15

interstellar travel does not happen through typical means - its not like jumping in your car to ride down to the store

it requires the folding/warping of space-time, or short-circuiting the 4th dimension

in other words, light speed doesnt cut it... you have to go superluminal

its virtually instantaneous - or to quote Einstein:
"spooky action at a distance"

Sep 5, 2015, 16:06
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 16:06
Sep 5, 2015, 16:06
 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 15:48:
Awesome to travel at the speed of light, but no wonder Star Trek used Warp Factors and it's still not enough to be significant.

Don't forget your towel!
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 5, 2015, 15:48
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 15:48
Sep 5, 2015, 15:48

Awesome to travel at the speed of light, but no wonder Star Trek used Warp Factors and it's still not enough to be significant.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Sep 5, 2015, 14:26
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 14:26
Sep 5, 2015, 14:26

"Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space."

The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

Sep 5, 2015, 14:10
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 14:10
Sep 5, 2015, 14:10
 Cutter

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:45:
It's not really possible to exceed that speed limit in traditional terms as it would violate special relativity. Instead, it's more likely we would find a way around space. Many ideas are suggested for that, mainly ones involving changing the medium or using other tricks to shorten the distance rather than go faster.

We may not be able to travel at light speed but certainly past it. Folding space - not wormholes - must be possible. How else can you explain entanglement? Either that or it's our perception that's flawed. I saw that postulated once in SciAm that space was essentially flat and our brains our the problem in how we perceive it. It would certainly lend credence to folding space a la the old piece of paper trick with the pencil through the two points. I'd imagine that's how aliens must travel. Of course they probably have the spice from Arakis too.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Sep 5, 2015, 13:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 13:58
Sep 5, 2015, 13:58

What a great solar-system video!

It's not that light is "slow" by any means--186,000 miles per second isn't "slow"--it just that the distances in space are so incredibly vast it boggles the mind. This video does a terrific job of helping viewers conceptualize such great distances (distances that have no Earthly analogue.) Imagine that just to get to the nearest star (Alpha Centarii) would take 4 years @ 186,000 miles per second, just to go one way. If we wanted to come back--it would take another 4 years same speed of travel. Meanwhile, the Earth would have aged 500 years--or something relative to time dilation...while we'd have aged 8 years. It may well be 5 centuries before we can even approach space travel at a respectable percentage of light speed...
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 5, 2015, 13:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 13:52
Sep 5, 2015, 13:52

siapnar wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:28:
That story about Chinese drivers is fucking sickening

I thought the same thing. Disgusting!
“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Sep 5, 2015, 13:50
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 13:50
Sep 5, 2015, 13:50

Sep 5, 2015, 13:04
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 13:04
Sep 5, 2015, 13:04

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:45:
Timmeh wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:16:
you know what I got from that video?

Light is just not that fast. It only seems fast to us. I think at some point we are going to discover a whole new natural paradigm. The speed of light limit is just an illusion we are currently stuck in by our current limitations.

I wonder who the Einstein will be that will break this thing wide open and how far off is it?

It's important to note that due to time dilation, photons perceive no passage at time at all. So, really, at very high velocities it wouldn't feel like it was taking you a long time to get from one place to another. A lot can happen in that time frame of course but honestly our concept of time frames is at least partially to blame. Taking 10,000 years to travel (in what feels like almost nothing to us) is negligible on a galactic scale.

It's not really possible to exceed that speed limit in traditional terms as it would violate special relativity. Instead, it's more likely we would find a way around space. Many ideas are suggested for that, mainly ones involving changing the medium or using other tricks to shorten the distance rather than go faster. Personally (I have a degree in physics FYI) I believe the dark matter and energy existing between galaxies will likely provide us a solution, and traveling locally or to the edge of our galaxy won't be a big deal at near-light speeds once we shrug off our mortal frames. Again, even 10,000 years is nothing.

Keep in mind we'll still have the issue of information transfer which likely is a consequence of relativity because, theoretically, information could take the place of matter. Our understanding of black holes and other singularities is insufficient to know whether or not we could utilize them to bypass this limitation. Information theory is strongly linked to singularities for a variety of reasons but that is simplifying the issue.

How far off? A long time. I personally believe we'll be effectively artificial by that point and the problems that plague mankind today will simply no longer exist. One reason I suspect we haven't had alien contact is because any sufficiently evolved species will likely also be artificial and well beyond such concerns, keeping in mind an advanced life-form is much more interested in resource-heavy planets than ones that can support life.

Laws written by man/men with only a partial understanding of how "reality" works. I think we are grade schoolers or even pre schoolers compared to what there is to understand. (in my view anyway)

Also, I really don't agree with this view of artificial life. All of it is based on our current very limited views.

We don't get to determine how other civilizations or forms of life think or operate. Nor do we know what their limitations and capabilities are. Or even what their make up is.

Sep 5, 2015, 12:45
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 12:45
Sep 5, 2015, 12:45

Timmeh wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:16:
you know what I got from that video?

Light is just not that fast. It only seems fast to us. I think at some point we are going to discover a whole new natural paradigm. The speed of light limit is just an illusion we are currently stuck in by our current limitations.

I wonder who the Einstein will be that will break this thing wide open and how far off is it?

It's important to note that due to time dilation, photons perceive no passage at time at all. So, really, at very high velocities it wouldn't feel like it was taking you a long time to get from one place to another. A lot can happen in that time frame of course but honestly our concept of time frames is at least partially to blame. Taking 10,000 years to travel (in what feels like almost nothing to us) is negligible on a galactic scale.

It's not really possible to exceed that speed limit in traditional terms as it would violate special relativity. Instead, it's more likely we would find a way around space. Many ideas are suggested for that, mainly ones involving changing the medium or using other tricks to shorten the distance rather than go faster. Personally (I have a degree in physics FYI) I believe the dark matter and energy existing between galaxies will likely provide us a solution, and traveling locally or to the edge of our galaxy won't be a big deal at near-light speeds once we shrug off our mortal frames. Again, even 10,000 years is nothing.

Keep in mind we'll still have the issue of information transfer which likely is a consequence of relativity because, theoretically, information could take the place of matter. Our understanding of black holes and other singularities is insufficient to know whether or not we could utilize them to bypass this limitation. Information theory is strongly linked to singularities for a variety of reasons but that is simplifying the issue.

How far off? A long time. I personally believe we'll be effectively artificial by that point and the problems that plague mankind today will simply no longer exist. One reason I suspect we haven't had alien contact is because any sufficiently evolved species will likely also be artificial and well beyond such concerns, keeping in mind an advanced life-form is much more interested in resource-heavy planets than ones that can support life.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older