Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: "Call Me"

This month marks the 25th anniversary of the release of The Secret of Monkey Island, the first installment in LucasArts' fantastic point-and-click swashbuckling adventure series (thanks PC Gamer). Ron Gilbert, one of the game's creators, has a big post on his Grumpy Gamer blog to commemorate the occasion, offering anecdotes and images of some artifacts from the game's development like concept sketches and photos of floppy disks (the newfangled 3½" variety!). He also tosses it out there that he would be interested in buying the rights to continue the series if Mickey is willing to sell:
I don’t know if I will ever get to make another Monkey Island. I always envisioned the game as a trilogy and I really hope I do, but I don’t know if it will ever happen. Monkey Island is now owned by Disney and they haven't shown any desire to sell me the IP. I don’t know if I could make Monkey Island 3a without complete control over what I was making and the only way to do that is to own it. Disney: Call me.

Maybe someday. Please don’t suggest I do a Kickstarter to get the money, that’s not possible without Disney first agreeing to sell it and they haven’t done that.
View : : :

Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights:
Sep 4, 2015, 10:10
Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: Sep 4, 2015, 10:10
Sep 4, 2015, 10:10

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 09:34:
Mickey dont sell. Like Machete don't text.

Yeah I figure he's got a better chance of getting hired as a producer on a Monkey Island title than ever repurchasing the IP.
Date
Subject
Author
Sep 4, 2015Sep 4 2015
 Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights:
Sep 4, 2015Sep 4 2015
May 23, 2016May 23 2016