Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Morning Metaverse

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 3, 2015, 15:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Axis wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 10:39:
Started watching Narcos a couple days ago, seems like another solid hit.

Netflix for the most part has been making some outstanding series - I'd pay to just watch those and rent blu-rays.

I saw the banner ad across the top of the Netflix page for that the other day, and I had to chuckle. It's like Netflix is going after even minor demographics now, the Narco Cinema of Mexico in this case. It looks like a halfway interesting show and I'll probably watch it, but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, when Netflix starts making Bollywood style movies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 3, 2015, 10:39 Axis

Started watching Narcos a couple days ago, seems like another solid hit.

Netflix for the most part has been making some outstanding series - I'd pay to just watch those and rent blu-rays.

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 3, 2015, 01:29 heroin

Don't really have a problem if they continuing to release quality shows and releasing in seasons. So, far I'd say it's far and beyond "just another TV station". You can see that in NF history but more recently in Narcos. They do a great job. Fuck TV, haven't had one since 2001 and never missed out on good shit like Sopranos, Futurama, Adventure Time, Breaking Bad, True Detective, Game of Thrones blah blah blah in the age of the interwebs, no commercials being a major a major factor.  

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 18:29 Julio

I'll miss the content as I find movies are much better than TV shows in terms of quality viewing. I'm not interested in Netflix being the next HBO. That being said, if the content providers are too greedy, then Netflix can save the cash.

I'd like to see those savings passed onto subscribers though.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 16:32 saluk

It's so common for these contracts to expire and not be renewed it doesn't warrant a story. They have very good statistics at netflix. If they are not renewing some content, it is because they will lose less customer dollars than a renewal would cost. If at some point their metrics show that adding those back in will net some profit or keep customers happy, they can get a new contract. I don't know about most people, but most of the people I know watch TV on netflix streaming, but also have a dvd account for movies.  

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 15:59 Verno

JD yeah exactly it's basically advertisements for their own original content and they only play on Netflix owned content. So if you don't watch Netflix owned properties you probably won't see them. It's a random user tested thing, its not rolled out to everyone. There also seems to be some weirdness with them showing on some devices and not others. You can read more about the ads here. The only one I ever saw had a 20 second trailer for Bloodline. Not a big deal but I don't like ads period.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 15:43 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 15:11:
Not sure what you guys are seeing -- never seen a single commercial, ever.
Yeah, me neither, although there was some story a few months ago about how they were going to trial it, just for their own shows. But they already promote their own shows on the top banner when you first log in, so not sure what the point of those commercials is, especially if they're not skippable. People are already ON the service, and obviously think it has value.

I also do blu-ray rentals which is a top-notch service. The majority of movies I *really* want to watch I get on blu-ray to utilize my asskicking setup, and anything is available there.
Yeah, we didn't even mention that. Anything not streaming can be ordered, and the things they haven't bothered to pay to stream like Avengers or Ant Man or whatever, you'd want to watch at the higher bit rate the BRD offers anyway.

Netflix adding or removing movies (as they've always done) doesn't affect me at all.
Just like HBO and Showtime have been doing for 30 years.

TV sucks. If it werent for my hd antenna and channelmaster dvr to blitz through commercials I would never watch anything at all on it.
Yeah, commercials absolutely suck. But the quality of TV shows being produced these days is better than at any point in history: GoT, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Mr. Robot, etc.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 15:39 Task

Axis wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 15:11:
I also do blu-ray rentals which is a top-notch service. The majority of movies I *really* want to watch I get on blu-ray to utilize my asskicking setup, and anything is available there.

I used to do the rental, but went to streaming only. I built up quite a collection of copied movies Devil

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 15:11 Axis

Not sure what you guys are seeing -- never seen a single commercial, ever.

Netflix adding or removing movies (as they've always done) doesn't affect me at all.

TV sucks. If it werent for my hd antenna and channelmaster dvr to blitz through commercials I would never watch anything at all on it.

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 14:26 jacobvandy

They're shoving commercials promoting their original programming in your face, too, which is pretty shitty. Auto-playing a video when the app first starts up is bad enough, but I've had it happen before where they pre-rolled what content I chose to view with a 30-second fucking ad that could not be skipped... They're on a very slippery slope.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 14:25 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:00:
I don't blame them, the content companies keep drastically increasing the license prices year over year. In 2009 Netflix paid 50 mil for their entire streaming catalog, in 2013 it was 2 billion and still going up.

I never have a problem with lack of content on Netflix and I find the quality to be very high despite some notable exclusions.

Edit: wow 3bn in 2014 according to google. Ouch.

Yeah, it's getting kind of crazy. TV these days is much better than most movies anyway. And a lot of interesting, non-blockbuster movies end up on Netflix anyway: The Babadook, Blue Ruin, A Most Wanted Man (PSH, RIP), Short Term 12, Fruitvale, Blackfish, All is Lost, Django, Hurt Locker, Nightcrawler, and a bunch of others.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 Verno

I don't blame them, the content companies keep drastically increasing the license prices year over year. In 2009 Netflix paid 50 mil for their entire streaming catalog, in 2013 it was 2 billion and still going up.

I never have a problem with lack of content on Netflix and I find the quality to be very high despite some notable exclusions.

Edit: wow 3bn in 2014 according to google. Ouch.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2015, 12:05.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 11:57 Task

With some good, original shows to boot. Its annoying when they pull movies and such on occasion though. Like, maybe I want to watch it again Netflix? Or, why aren't you putting the other seasons of that show on here, Netflix?  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >