Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2015, 09:44 Verno

You're missing out on a ton of security updates there, as usual hes kind of an ass about it but he's not wrong. Like literally hundreds of security vectors, you should really update those. It's better to pick and choose the updates rather than turn them off entirely. Yes exploits can install themselves sometimes, just even a simple driveby download can deliver a rootkit payload.

Not to be a dick but it kind of invalidates your opinion on anything Windows to me when you have those kinds of poor practices and think its defensible. I get the whole privacy angle but this is security and you're compromising your own privacy much more significantly by having your system that wide open to the world.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2015, 08:42 InBlack

Krowen wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 07:19:
Turning off windows updates entirely probably means your computer is a bastion for real spyware, way to go champ. You sound like the type who doesn't believe in using antivirus software either so probably totally unaware of it. Winner winner chicken dinner Evilgrin

Yeah cos spyware is going to magically appear on my PC because Windows update is turned off. Rolleyes

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2015, 07:19 Megalodon

Turning off windows updates entirely probably means your computer is a bastion for real spyware, way to go champ. You sound like the type who doesn't believe in using antivirus software either so probably totally unaware of it. Winner winner chicken dinner Evilgrin  

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2015, 02:47 InBlack

Good article. I turned off Windows update years ago, basically when I first installed 7. Never looked back, never had problems, don't have to think about shit like this. The thing is if Microsoft let the USER decide and gave the user CONTROL over ALL aspects of the OS none of this would be a problem. The fact that people have to jump through hoops to disable this shit (and then some), use firewalls and whatnot because MS forces it back ON again is FUBAR.

This is why I feel justified in saying that Microsoft can go suck on my dong.

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 1, 2015, 21:52 MeanJim

I began to notice Win7 trying to phone home about 4 months ago or more. I don't use the built in MS firewall so I started getting alerts when these new services started phoning home. Despite uninstalling and hiding the updates, they unhide them or re-release them under a new update with a generic description like "resolves and issue in Windows."

I've opted out of the "Customer Experience Improvement Program," and it still shows disabled, yet after each Windows update, the services and scheduled tasks that collect and send data magically turn back on and attempt to phone home.

Check your task scheduler, look under Microsoft / Windows / Application experience. There are three tasks there, AitAgent, Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and ProgramDataUpdate. They should be disabled if you opted out of the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Every month after Windows Update runs and they all three become enabled again and start setting off my firewall alert and I have to disable them.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 1, 2015, 17:47 Bard

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:22:
Individually we all will have our opinions on what is ok or not with collecting our data.

But take this into big corporate world. They are paranoid over their own people leaking, to think encrypted data of who knows what goes to MS and they are ok to do whatever they want with it. It would be silly if they were so tough on their own employees and then let another company just snoop in to their systems and take whatever and you have to assume this goes straight to the gov't as well.

My company would never agree to such terms if brought directly to them. This is interesting.

This.

I spent weeks patching the heartbleed bug, which wasn't a bug at all but a bloody NSA backdoor.

So sick and tired of the NSA thinking it's perfectly fine to put backdoors into things from their throne of chocolate and jellybeans. Real world is that they can't secure those backdoors, and they will be found.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 1, 2015, 13:22 HorrorScope

Individually we all will have our opinions on what is ok or not with collecting our data.

But take this into big corporate world. They are paranoid over their own people leaking, to think encrypted data of who knows what goes to MS and they are ok to do whatever they want with it. It would be silly if they were so tough on their own employees and then let another company just snoop in to their systems and take whatever and you have to assume this goes straight to the gov't as well.

My company would never agree to such terms if brought directly to them. This is interesting.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 1, 2015, 12:32 Cutter

But...but...but...the MS shills keep telling us to go back to sleep because there's nothing to worry about and MS is all that's good and right in the world and would never spy on us.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 1, 2015, 11:57 Axis

The average user has 20 passwords, that's golden - I have over 2000 in my keepass that goes back over 20 years - and they are all pretty much the same way you setup yours Reflex, can "rememeber" each one unless it's a beta or something along those lines.

And I can't remember the last time I ever did a microsoft "update". Used to be windizupdate if I needed anything specifically at home. Then no updates at all - especially in corporate where clones and specific setups were a must.

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 1, 2015, 11:17 IAMLIT_REFLEX

I don't understand why people don't take my approach. My memory is very bad so I use a root password of random letters (ingrained in my memory as it was an assigned password for my first broadband email account) followed by an extension that identifies the website followed by a certain number.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >