Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers

The teaser countdown from Boss Key Productions now points to this website, revealing LawBreakers, the free-to-play first-person shooter in the works at this new studio from former Epic design director Cliff Bleszinski. This includes an official LawBreakers announce trailer describing your role in a militant police force set to protect a gravity-challenged post-apocalyptic utopia that sprang up after "clandestine government testing" broke the moon ("the shattering" that was part of the tease). However there is a note that they've added the ability to register on their forums as LAW, BREAKERS, or NEUTRAL, and the announcement makes it clear you can also play as a criminal. Here's first word on the game codenamed Project Bluestreak:
LawBreakers is a competitive team-based FPS set in an alternate future in which the world has been divided into two factions following a huge cataclysmic event known as ‘The Shattering’ that changed gravity forever. Afterward, the world recovered and ushered in a new age technological advancements providing gravity manipulation and supplement use that grants near-superhuman abilities. Now, the new technology rages and two forces fight for control; a peacekeeping organization charged with upholding the law, and a highly-organized crime syndicate bent on breaking it. Players will be asked to choose a side – it’s LAW versus BREAKERS.

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
Aug 29, 2015, 11:02
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 29, 2015, 11:02
Aug 29, 2015, 11:02

|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:30:
Cutter, I work in the industry. I am well aware of the reality of things here.

Actually, that's why you have less knowledge than you think. The very worst place to be to understand how people from outside view the inside is ... inside. Being inside the industry will change your perceptions to the point where I doubt you understand the consumer very much at all. That's the great hurdle for every market, including video game production. The last person to ask about justice is the person who has just been robbed, and the last person to ask about video game consumers is the video game producer...

|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews
I think the big thing that people constantly bring up are his comments on piracy and console exclusivity. I can see that being polarizing, I guess. As an industry veteran, I have a different perspective (because it has a direct and very real financial impact to myself personally). I respect both sides, but I think that the PC gamer crowd tends to ignore statistics and work off of gut instincts... but the numbers just don't support it.

Cliffs comments on piracy carry a significant amount of truth -- "PC master race" folks are adamant about denying it, but piracy is real on the PC and it very much so makes developers think twice about targeting the PC with a traditional model. Our multiplatform games utilize back-end analytics services to help us understand play styles and habits of our users so we can understand which modes are popular and which aren't. The data is anonymous, but it does allow us to very easily see legitimately licensed copies vs pirated copies and the numbers are absolutely staggering. Consoles and mobile have an incredibly low percentage, but PC? 80%+ of connected users are not using a genuine license. We don't rely on any DRM, either.

Why do you think DLC is so universally pushed nowadays?
Why do you think that subscription based games are mostly on the PC?

These are not coincidences.

See, this proves my point. The legitimate customer doesn't care what pirates are or are not doing... because we aren't pirates. What we care about is how we are affected by companies' policies and game development trends. When a single player game requires always-on internet connection for no mechanics-related reason (see the vocalized issues with Diablo 3, Sim City, et al. on their release), it inconveniences me, the legitimate consumer. When F2P forces me to pay way more than a standalone price for a game in order to enjoy the game to its fullest, it inconveniences me, the legitimate consumer. I don't care that this is what a company wants to do to try and prevent pirates... that's your job, not mine. I want to enjoy the game, and when your policies inhibit that, you won't get my money (you aren't entitled to my money ... that's the real entitlement issue in gaming today).

When company policy hurts the legitimate consumer to benefit the company's interests (especially when, like most anti-piracy measures, it is doing so to inhibit folks who would never buy the game in the first place), consumers aren't going to like it. When, like Cliff, you then verbally poop on your consumers (the ones that made you successful in the first place), you are going to get a strong negative reaction. If you don't understand this, then you have just confirmed that you are in too deep to understand your consumers at all...

Aug 27, 2015, 23:14
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 23:14
Aug 27, 2015, 23:14

a

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2019, 01:24.

Aug 27, 2015, 16:40
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 16:40
Aug 27, 2015, 16:40

InBlack wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 08:10:

No they are not. There is a reason why Cliff is so universally hated, and it's of his own very 'vocal' doing. Im so sick of arrogant developers deciding for themselves that the "PC master race" as you so eloquently put it is out to get them, steal their games, and take their women.

You know what? You treat us like assholes, you get the asshole treatment right back. Cliff's resume became toilet paper the minute he turned his back on the very people who made him and his company prosper.

There are a lot of developers out there who value and respect their customers and they get respect back in turn. Keep up the hostility though dude, Im sure it will take you places.... Brood

How is my post hostile? Because I'm calling out the toxic posting habits that have become common here?
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Aug 27, 2015, 09:24
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 09:24
Aug 27, 2015, 09:24

Ye Gods - dismal writing and a lazy voiceover performed by a completely disinterested voice-over artist.

I'm calling it now. This will be hand-made shit.

Aug 27, 2015, 09:17
SXO
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 09:17
Aug 27, 2015, 09:17
SXO

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:23:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews comment threads

Chalk that up to experience, son. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. While we love games - good ones at any rate - this is a very scummy industry in how they treat both customers and workers. The industry only has itself to blame for cultivating that sort of reaction.

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:27:

Well he's made some of that bed.

Jazz Jackrabbit
Unreal
Unreal Tournament series
Gears of War series

Consulted/contributed to a ton of other projects, including Fat Princess.

Really hard to take issue with that resume.

I think the big thing that people constantly bring up are his comments on piracy and console exclusivity. I can see that being polarizing, I guess. As an industry veteran, I have a different perspective (because it has a direct and very real financial impact to myself personally). I respect both sides, but I think that the PC gamer crowd tends to ignore statistics and work off of gut instincts... but the numbers just don't support it.

Cliffs comments on piracy carry a significant amount of truth -- "PC master race" folks are adamant about denying it, but piracy is real on the PC and it very much so makes developers think twice about targeting the PC with a traditional model. Our multiplatform games utilize back-end analytics services to help us understand play styles and habits of our users so we can understand which modes are popular and which aren't. The data is anonymous, but it does allow us to very easily see legitimately licensed copies vs pirated copies and the numbers are absolutely staggering. Consoles and mobile have an incredibly low percentage, but PC? 80%+ of connected users are not using a genuine license. We don't rely on any DRM, either.

Either way, Cliff's resume stands on its own, and I for one have been looking forward to a non-military shooter for a good while now. Can't wait to see what this brings to the table.

PC gamers do not deny that piracy exists. Heck, we don't even deny that there are a majority of people pirating. What we do deny is that it affects the bottomline of the developer/publisher. The fact is people that pirate are people that are unwilling or unable to pay for games, and they're just going to pirate regardless. Using DRM doesn't convert pirates into paying customers, all it does is ruin the experience for the legitimate customers.

Also, I specifically remember CliffyB's statements about PC gamers. He basically stated that if someone knew how to build their own PC, they must know how to pirate, so they will. When someone lumps you in with another group of people like that, and basically calls you a thief, it kind of rubs you the wrong way. Epic was very successful when they were a PC only developer, so to turn around and suddenly claim PC gamers were a bane to game developers was an enormous insult. Some may call that feelings of entitlement, but I call it spiting in the face of the very demographic that supported you to get you where you are.

It would be like if an indie band that played grunge music managed to find some success, and through that success became more and more popular. Then suddenly they decided to do pop music exclusively because it pays more money, telling everyone they will no longer do grunge music because most fans of that genre don't pay for music. That's all well and good. They want money, go chase the money, but don't chastise the grunge music listeners in the process. And especially don't decide when your fame has faded that you'll suddenly start performing grunge again, expecting the fans to welcome you back with open arms.

Aug 27, 2015, 09:05
Verno

Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 09:05
Aug 27, 2015, 09:05
 Verno

It has certainly gone overboard in the past year but in this case CliffyB has earned the ire many times over.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Aug 27, 2015, 08:41
nin

Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 08:41
Aug 27, 2015, 08:41
 nin

DangerDog wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 04:48:
What if you had a game announcement and nobody cared?

Pretty much!

Aug 27, 2015, 08:10
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 08:10
Aug 27, 2015, 08:10

No they are not. There is a reason why Cliff is so universally hated, and it's of his own very 'vocal' doing. Im so sick of arrogant developers deciding for themselves that the "PC master race" as you so eloquently put it is out to get them, steal their games, and take their women.

You know what? You treat us like assholes, you get the asshole treatment right back. Cliff's resume became toilet paper the minute he turned his back on the very people who made him and his company prosper.

There are a lot of developers out there who value and respect their customers and they get respect back in turn. Keep up the hostility though dude, Im sure it will take you places.... Brood

I have a nifty blue line!

Aug 27, 2015, 05:34
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 05:34
Aug 27, 2015, 05:34

Ohh I get it, Law Breakers, as in there are not only breaking laws they are breaking the laws of gravity. I see what you did there cliffyB. You PC hating pile of chum. I remember your words for Gears of War and no I'm not going to let him slide with a new game no matter how much he is licking a Mouse with his tongue compared to when he was sucking the end of a console controller.

Aug 27, 2015, 04:48
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 04:48
Aug 27, 2015, 04:48

What if you had a game announcement and nobody cared?

Aug 27, 2015, 00:25
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 00:25
Aug 27, 2015, 00:25

The explanation of why the moon splits reminds me of Homer pitching his movie, "killer robot driving-instructor that travels back in time for some reason", I never laughed so hard about a game trailer than this one.

Aug 26, 2015, 23:32
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 23:32
Aug 26, 2015, 23:32

take the skinheads bowling

take them bowling

Aug 26, 2015, 22:46
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 22:46
Aug 26, 2015, 22:46

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:22:
I didn't think it was possible, but cliffyb actually managed to write an underlying theme for a game that's even more fucking ridiculous than Gears of War.

Not really original. He actually kind of ripped off the premise from Thundarr The Barbarian.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Aug 26, 2015, 22:30
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 22:30
Aug 26, 2015, 22:30

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:23:

Chalk that up to experience, son. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. While we love games - good ones at any rate - this is a very scummy industry in how they treat both customers and workers. The industry only has itself to blame for cultivating that sort of reaction.

Jazz Jackrabbit
Unreal
Unreal Tournament series
Gears of War series

Consulted/contributed to a ton of other projects, including Fat Princess.

Really hard to take issue with that resume.

Either way, Cliff's resume stands on its own, and I for one have been looking forward to a non-military shooter for a good while now. Can't wait to see what this brings to the table.

Aug 26, 2015, 22:23
Cutter

Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 22:23
Aug 26, 2015, 22:23
 Cutter

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Aug 26, 2015, 21:50
nin

Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 21:50
Aug 26, 2015, 21:50
 nin

But pc gamer says he's the next game god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 26, 2015, 21:27
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 21:27
Aug 26, 2015, 21:27

Aug 26, 2015, 21:23
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 21:23
Aug 26, 2015, 21:23

Retired wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 18:46:
Witness the worldwide premiere trailer of LawBreakers, the highly-anticipated debut FPS from Cliff Bleszinski & Boss Key Productions.

huh?

cliffyb highly anticipates it.

He's about the only one though.

Aug 26, 2015, 21:22
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 21:22
Aug 26, 2015, 21:22

the world has been divided into two factions following a huge cataclysmic event known as ‘The Shattering’ that changed gravity forever. Afterward, the world recovered and ushered in a new age technological advancements providing gravity manipulation and supplement use that grants near-superhuman abilities.

I didn't think it was possible, but cliffyb actually managed to write an underlying theme for a game that's even more fucking ridiculous than Gears of War.

Aug 26, 2015, 21:08
Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 21:08
Aug 26, 2015, 21:08

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older