Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

The International Results

It doesn't seem to be reflected yet on The International website, but Valve announces that Evil Geniuses have won this Dota 2 tournament, taking home a little over $6.6 million, the grand prize in the competition's $18 million prize pool. Word is:
Evil Geniuses (EG) are the The 2015 International Dota 2 champions, and have captured the winner's portion of the record breaking $18 mil prize pool.

EG captured the crown by defeating CDEC 3 games to 1in front of a sold our crowd at Seattle's Key Arena. The two teams found themselves in the final after successfully making it thru the week-long, 16 team Main Event portion of TI5.

This was the fifth annual International Dota 2 Championship event. For more information please visit dota2.com
View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 19:42 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 15:07:
Fucking pro athletes are overpaid but at least they have to put real effort in.

Athleticism isn't necessarily about who can run the fastest or jump the farthest or punch the hardest. Athleticism can also mean who can think and strategize the quickest. This is not a battle of brawn but a battle of minds. For that reason it is definitely a form of athleticism. You should celebrate their success. They earned it.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 17:19 theglaze

Xero wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 07:53:
When you don't have to put your body through a grueling exercise to show your physically better than the average Joe and compete at the high level physically in whatever sport your doing, your not an athlete.

What about mental endurance? It's the mental side that makes golf, tennis, and motorsports so interesting. With video games we have an almost purely mental competition going on, like chess, but real-time with reflexes and a high level of finger dexterity and accuracy for inputs.

Lots of people don't think race car drivers are athletes (mainly because Americans first think of fat NASCAR drivers), but those same people haven't battled amongst other cars for 2 hours at 180mph. Likewise, lots of people criticize pro gamers but they haven't played hours of matches back-to-back with all that damn clicking and typing.

What's wrong with extending that into "electronic-sport" or "e-sport" if "motorsport" is widely accepted?

The money, competition, and interest is only going to continue to grow and expand the industry to new heights each year.

And maybe that's why it's a sport, because the organizations behind it make the most money and "sport" sells better than "compeition"...

36. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 17:18 Creston

Flak wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 13:52:
I'm looking forward to competitive Star Citizen events in the future where people are taking home prize money.

So... 2047 or thereabouts?

35. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 14:13 Fion

I agree all the teams that make the tourney should at least get a nice little bonus at the end.

And cutter, who I often agree with. If you think this is just some kids having fun without any real challenge or effort you couldn't be more wrong. The e-sports scene has a really high turnover rate because of the extreme pressure, focus and practice-time requires to build the skill necessary to compete at the high levels. The burn-out rate is higher than any other sport in the world.

On top of that these are very fun to watch. I barely know what I'm watching but it's exciting, tense and the finale had two very evenly matched up teams. I basically spent the whole time talking to my DOTA 2 playing friend on steam asking him questions. I think EG had the upper hand in almost every game accept one, especially any time their most famous player was able to play that spirit guy, which he was amazing at.

And yes the last game, when out of desperation (and lack of map view) CDEC went for the Aegis and EG just nuked the shit out of them. That and apparently their last draft pick wasn't so awesome.

Grats to EG for being the first ever american team to hit the finals and first ever to win it all!

34. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 13:52 Flak

I'm looking forward to competitive Star Citizen events in the future where people are taking home prize money. The amount of rage/envy/petulance that will flow through these comment sections will be glorious. Butthurt on a level never before witnessed.  

33. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 13:12 KS

6.6 what now? SAY WHAT?!?!?  

32. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 11:28 Verno

After his last nazi apologist fiasco and a bunch of comments about jews I finally blocked him for good. Good riddance.

Anyways didn't catch the games due to being up at the lake this weekend but looking forward to watching them tonight. EG is just super fun to watch in general, their versatility and adaptability is insane.

I am fully out of HOTS, every match feels too samey after awhile without the laning phase and other aspects of LoL/DotA.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

31. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 11:27 {PH}88fingers

Krowen wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 07:28:
Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 23:07:
I'm a troll because you're some fat kid who can't play real sports and gets picked on by jocks? Awww, sucks to be you, huh? Son, fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life. You fat little bastards need to get out of youur parents basements. Get some excercise. Try actually speaking to a female. Jesus, and people wonder why you kids are tubs of lard.

You're a troll because your opinions are all meaningless flamebait without any depth to them. Despite having 21,000 posts of bullshit spam you probably haven't engaged beyond 2 replies in any discussion here.

You somehow confuse going against the grain on every topic to be a form of bravery instead of the transparent stupidity that everyone else sees it for. I don't know if you realize it but you're pitied and are the real source of that story from your quote.

30. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 11:13 Primalchrome

I'm a troll because you're some fat kid who can't play real sports and gets picked on by jocks? Awww, sucks to be you, huh? Son, fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life. You fat little bastards need to get out of youur parents basements. Get some excercise. Try actually speaking to a female. Jesus, and people wonder why you kids are tubs of lard.
You know Cutter, I never blocked you because at one time you actually made some really good posts, but I don't know if I've seen one in months. I don't know what has happened in your life that has pushed you over into a nothing but troll zone....but I really miss the posts that were intelligent (while also scathing). Lately you just come off as a very unhappy person who can neither adapt to the world around them or appreciate how lucky they are to be there. Hope things look up for you at some point...

29. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 11:09 Primalchrome

Xero wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 07:53:
When you don't have to put your body through a grueling exercise to show your physically better than the average Joe and compete at the high level physically in whatever sport your doing, your not an athlete.

Any nerd can pick up a mouse and keyboard and be physically the same. ....
I agree totally about the term e-sports or referring to a pro as an 'athlete'. Video games aren't sports in the classic sense and most gamers aren't athletes.

That said, you should look into what the real pros actually go through on a regular basis to compete at the top level of some of the games currently popular. Many of those guys spend as much or more time working on their mechanics, theorycrafting, and teamwork than quite a few classic pro athletes. They also generally have a much shorter shelf life due to burnout of twitch reflexes by the time you're in your mid twenties.

28. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 07:53 Xero

I don't mind people getting paid for doing something they do really well and entertain others for. I just hate the terms e-Sport or was the other one, e-athletes?

I'm sorry but playing with a mouse and keyboard is not a sport, nor are you an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.

Any nerd can pick up a mouse and keyboard and be physically the same. The only difference is how much time you devote to learn the game vs a real athlete who can devote plenty of time to the game, but if he's not physically fit/in shape, it don't mean jack sh!t.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

27. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 07:28 Megalodon

You're a troll because your opinions are all meaningless flamebait without any depth to them. Despite having 21,000 posts of bullshit spam you probably haven't engaged beyond 2 replies in any discussion here.

You somehow confuse going against the grain on every topic to be a form of bravery instead of the transparent stupidity that everyone else sees it for. I don't know if you realize it but you're pitied and are the real source of that story from your quote.

26. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 05:39 Ferazel

It also show how dynamic and flexible EG was in their approach to the problem the second time. They didn't just do the same thing over and over again. EG actually gave CDEC the "most powerful" hero (Leshrac) for their draft, and after they floundered with it they knew they had a draft advantage. Using this advantage they were able to push CDEC out of their comfort zone as they had to draft this hero or let it fall into the enemy's hands. An enemy who could run it in a much more dominant role than they could.

It is maneuvers like the drafting mind games that make this game so interesting to watch!

25. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 01:39 Devinoch

Jerykk wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 23:59:
RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 21:05:
CDEC lost the last game when they got rolled by EG trying to take the boss. It was a fairly even match till then.

I feel kind of bad for CDEC. They actually won their first match against EG, then lost the finale. Two matches but only one of them really counted.

That's double-elimination for you, though. CDEC were the wild card and for them to finish second in the International after having never won a LAN tournament before? Well, that's pretty damn impressive in its own right.

Like they say, it's not the first victory that counts - it's the last.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

24. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 01:29 Devinoch

Osc8r wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 23:38:
Osc8r wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 18:41:
Ferazel wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 17:16:
For a video game? That's beyond retarded. Fucking pro athletes are overpaid but at least they have to put real effort in. Our species is doomed.

I hope you're being sarcastic or you're just ignorant about pro-gaming.

Na, just the local troll.

Nice post btw.

lol. The guy with 21,000 posts on a gaming site has spoken.

Hmm... here's an idea, how about you quit projecting your life issues onto others.

Don't bother engaging the troll. Talking with Cutter is like trying to convince the Tea Party that the Bible actually says "love thy neighbor." I mean, you're right, but you're not going to change anything, and you'll get frustrated, and they'll get louder.

Best let the trolls troll on. The children will, at some point, realize how foolish they are. I mean, me, I think it's hilarious to watch him flounder for attention.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

23. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 00:09 theglaze

The rise of esports is related to the ridiculous escalation of physical necessities required to complete in professional sports.

Look at what's become of the TE in the NFL, even wide receivers are creeping up to the average height of an NBA player. Randy Johnson deserves Hall of Fame status but his height was a clear advantage and now the top pitchers are an average 4" taller than all the other players on the field. Even pinnacle motorsports like MotoGP and F1 teams require drivers of jockey stature to conserve weight and fit in the car, even if faster but heavier drivers exist. Monsters are creeping into tennis too, sports where finesse and skill use to trump brute force, but we're now in the era of Serena Williams and the new talents in the men's league are routinely +6'3".

Now there is the rise of esports.

At this point in its evolution, the success of its players are not predetermined by the physically gifts or abnormalities of their bodies. Instead it is the craft of the mind, agility of the imagination, and the speed/execution of gameplay intelligence that separates the winners from losers.

Instead of just jumping higher or hitting harder than your opponent, in the digital playing field, you have to out think your opponent.

And there in lies the difficulty in widespread spectator adoption: it's far easier to appreciate how hard someone dunks a basketball than it is to appreciate the multiple layers to a well-timed and strategic DOTA play. But with player adoption continuing to grow in video games, so will these leagues and prize/purses.

As for those shitting on gamers getting paid: Anyone can troll and discredit the mental fitness of a football player, or the physical fitness of a DOTA player. The fact is, all these players are competing on a level in their relative sport that we mere mortals can only spectate or marvel at.

22. Re: The International Results Aug 9, 2015, 23:59 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 21:05:
CDEC lost the last game when they got rolled by EG trying to take the boss. It was a fairly even match till then.

I feel kind of bad for CDEC. They actually won their first match against EG, then lost the finale. Two matches but only one of them really counted.

21. Re: The International Results Aug 9, 2015, 23:38 Osc8r

Osc8r wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 18:41:
Ferazel wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 17:16:
For a video game? That's beyond retarded. Fucking pro athletes are overpaid but at least they have to put real effort in. Our species is doomed.

I hope you're being sarcastic or you're just ignorant about pro-gaming.

Na, just the local troll.

Nice post btw.

lol. The guy with 21,000 posts on a gaming site has spoken.

Hmm... here's an idea, how about you quit projecting your life issues onto others.

20. Re: The International Results Aug 9, 2015, 23:11 Cutter

Orogogus wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 20:40:
NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 18:45:
There's nothing this site hates more than seeing nerds who aren't them making money. Any time someone gets a pay day, you see comments in here about how they don't deserve it. Pro gamers, Notch, The Oculus Rift dude, etc.

You say "this site", but all of those topics (pro gamers, Minecraft, VR, people making money) are Cutter's personal crusades.

Crusades? I could give a shit about them, or you for that matter. If you don't understand how ludicrous this all is then you're even dumber than I first imagined. For a bunch of people who claim to never care what I think you sure go out of your way to get me to notice and respond ro you. That's ok, I'm accustomed to idol worship. It's just kind of sad...for you and your ilk that is.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

19. removed Aug 9, 2015, 23:07 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 10, 2015, 07:31.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >