The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest

This Kickstarter seeks funding for The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest, an upcoming follow-up to Trilobyte's FMV games The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour. As the title implies, this is from a group of fans calling themselves Attic Door Productions, but the twist is that this will be offered as a full commercial game with blessings and licenses from Trilobyte. A couple of years ago Trilobyte announced their own attempt at a third game in this series, but their crowdfunding effort failed. This project looks like it's in better shape, as it's 75% funded with about three weeks to go. Here's word on the game:
The 13th Doll ties in with the events of The 7th Guest. A decade after Tad managed to escape the mansion, he is still haunted by the souls, dolls, and Stauf's victims he left behind. So haunted, in fact, that the young man now resides in a mental institution - misunderstood, plagued by guilt and obsessed with one idea: to escape the dreary padded walls of his asylum cell, return to the mansion - the site of his innermost fears - to rescue those he left behind and defeat Stauf once and for all!
View : : :
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest
Aug 7, 2015, 09:52
Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest Aug 7, 2015, 09:52
Aug 7, 2015, 09:52

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 23:15:
Shy Gypsy Slyly Shyly Tryst By My Crypt.

I could not for the life of me figure this one out, and back in the 90's with barely an internet, there was no way to get the solution. I ended up giving it to my aunt who's a scrabble buff. It took her about 10 minutes.

Aug 7, 2015, 00:23
Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest Aug 7, 2015, 00:23
Aug 7, 2015, 00:23

I agree, I hope it gets backed and made anyways.

Aug 6, 2015, 23:15
Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest Aug 6, 2015, 23:15
Aug 6, 2015, 23:15

Shy Gypsy Slyly Shyly Tryst By My Crypt.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 6, 2015, 19:51
Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest Aug 6, 2015, 19:51
Aug 6, 2015, 19:51

I can't imagine this game will have much success. Outside of the small group of people who like logic puzzles based around shuffling tin cans (and similar) and those willing to spend money on quick fix of nostalgia, who exactly is the audience for this game?

The original 7th Guest was so popular because - let's be brutally honest - it had awesome graphics for its time. It was released right when CD-ROMs were gaining popularity, and the amazing amounts of space allowed the developers to go nuts with incredibly well-rendered (for its time) full-motion video. Gamers were no longer restricted to 320x240 graphics with pixelated sprites to tell the story; for the first time, we were getting games that looked almost real. People played the 7th Guest because of how amazing it looked, not for its ridiculous setting or frustrating puzzles (it also helped that, like Myst, the 7th Guest was one of those pack-in games that came with many CD-ROM drives and computers).

But nowadays our computers can real-time render games that look far better than anything the 7th Guest offered, and even pre-rendered movies are hard-pressed to stand out against in-game cutscenes. This raw power negates the game's biggest appeal. There just isn't a huge market for obtuse logic puzzles.

Not that I am in anyway besmirching the original or this late sequel and if you are a fan of the franchise, I'm sure this is great news. I just hope the developers realize their audience will be miniscule in comparison and don't expect any of the success of the original.
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older