Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Evening Interviews

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 12:27 shiho

At some point in near future, "Roberts" will become a verb.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 12:11 CJ_Parker

As for my personal preference I'd absolutely love a tactical shooter like Rogue Spear but that's not at all what we are getting with Star Marine.
CIG/CR originally promised slower gameplay (slower in reference to CoD, BF etc.) but that is nowhere to be seen in any of the videos. It is 100% run and gun with ridiculously poor animations given the budget and how they have boasted about mocap this, mocap that, mocap the bewbs bouncing and the penis dangling, everything, blabla...

Star Marine is another example of the many scope and target audience changes with this game. When CR got a taste of all the mucho dolares that kept coming his way, he realized that the original vision for Star Marine (slow, tactical etc.) would only appeal to a very limited demographic. So everything was shifted more towards mainstream compatibility and mass appeal.
To at least somewhat keep the promise, however, it looks like they are trying to cram some "tactical" features into the game. Features which any person with a brain and some taste in gaming can immediately identify as incompatible with the run&gun style.

And don't get me started on the totally overhyped "revolutionary" zero G. There is a reason it's not been done (often) before. The reason is it's slow, floaty, sucky, imprecise, dumb... anyone can hit a slow floating target. How do you make it fun? Do you slow down arm (weapon) movement and make it sucky and floaty so aiming becomes more challenging? Come on. It's just not going to be fun.
If you want to make zero G fun, you need to change genres, drop realism altogether and switch to a crazy fun shooter style like some of the original Q3A or UT mods/modes which had crazy fun low grav or zero G gameplay.

27. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 10:28 Zor

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 08:00:
I completely agree. It is pretty clear that Roberts is just trying to completely appeal to the mainstream CoD, BF and CSGO demographic now.

Precisely the opposite, as you then point out yourself the goals they have to make it a much more tactical gameplay experience:
And we're going to have to wait&see on the promised depth and complexity with regard to more "tactical" gameplay.
But then you dismiss the whole notion of the logic of going that route at all? I don't get it.. do you want tactical or don't you? You seem to not want CoD but you also don't want them to take a chance at doing something you're not sure you'd like?:
I have serious doubts about the practical use of the suggested features like e.g. dragging a wounded team member to a safe spot. Who the fuck does that in multiplayer FPS? Right. No one.
Everyone takes care of themselves and why expose yourself and make yourself extra vulnerable to enemy fire by helping a team member if your time is much better spent on the offensive or defensive trying to find cover?
The only reason people heal others in BF is because it gives you upgrade points and not because of some tactical advantage. Heck, depending on the situation, the other guy might actually be much better off respawning on their squad leader than getting a heal/rez.
After all that, it sounds like you're not wanting anything outside the BF/CoD box.. make up your mind.

Roberts really sucks at game design that has nothing to do with the single player space parts. It is becoming increasingly clear that he has been out of the loop for a long time and that he has both, poor taste and poor experience with regard to competitive online play.
Well, at least you're consistent here in your opinion, even if it's a contradiction the beginning of your post.

26. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 10:19 Zor

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 00:10:
Do we have more info on the FPS? I think from what I've seen so far, my main disappointment is: spaceships have pew-pew lasers, but the FPS has regular bullet guns. I'd much prefer even more futuristic weapons, even while the setting and zero-G stuff looked cool.
Ton's of info has been released on Star Marine in multiple posts on the site, yes.

The weapon selection has been touched on a lot, actually, and is not restricted to ballistics. I think there's even an energy based shotgun. That doesn't even go into the wacky gadgets and grenades. One of the most basic sidearms is a laser pistol, in fact.

25. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 08:00 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 00:10:
Zor wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 22:50:
blah blah blah, they're taking too long so it's being done wrong and none of them have talent and it's all a scam and blah blah I'm impatient I don't want more I want less and quicker and I have noooooooooothing else to do with all my time but scream through my keyboard at the internet that game development I can actually take part of is a horrible and unexpectedly lengthy pile of crap I wish I had never touched blah blah...

Meanwhile, the actual takeaway from that article was this:
"We've seen what they've got coming up and you won't want to miss it."

Do we have more info on the FPS? I think from what I've seen so far, my main disappointment is: spaceships have pew-pew lasers, but the FPS has regular bullet guns. I'd much prefer even more futuristic weapons, even while the setting and zero-G stuff looked cool.

I completely agree. It is pretty clear that Roberts is just trying to completely appeal to the mainstream CoD, BF and CSGO demographic now. Remember the official poll on the weapon sights (with the retarded blur)? Those weapons and sights are supposed to be from the year 2943? Yeah. Right.
There is nothing futuristic about them at all. CIG is playing it extra safe in the name of the holy Dollar by trying to appeal to the mainstream pew pew gamers for MOAR MILLIONS.

And we're going to have to wait&see on the promised depth and complexity with regard to more "tactical" gameplay. I have serious doubts about the practical use of the suggested features like e.g. dragging a wounded team member to a safe spot. Who the fuck does that in multiplayer FPS? Right. No one.
Everyone takes care of themselves and why expose yourself and make yourself extra vulnerable to enemy fire by helping a team member if your time is much better spent on the offensive or defensive trying to find cover?
The only reason people heal others in BF is because it gives you upgrade points and not because of some tactical advantage. Heck, depending on the situation, the other guy might actually be much better off respawning on their squad leader than getting a heal/rez.

Roberts really sucks at game design that has nothing to do with the single player space parts. It is becoming increasingly clear that he has been out of the loop for a long time and that he has both, poor taste and poor experience with regard to competitive online play.

24. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 07:50 Bub

You can see it in his eyes, the fire is gone, but he grits his teeth and grinds through the spiel like a trooper. It's clear he is getting bored with the whole thing. Almost time to walk away, cash in an off shore account, to some new pie in the sky.

Like a true troll with no facts to back him up, he resorts to attacking Mr. Smart personally.

If he really thought a deliverable game was in sight, he would have acted like a professional, defected the question, and continued to plug the game.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

23. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 04:48 Nuhauser

Kosumo wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 01:39:
We're not doomed, If he turns up we can just give him a refund and show him the door. Laugh2

Quite honestly, has he not entered some kind of litigation with SC? That would at least explain his silence on the topic recently. I rather wish Chris Roberts had just given a "no comment" on the topic. Now they both look desperate and petty.

22. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 04:10 SunnyD

"Are you not entertained..?!!"  

21. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 02:29 NetHead

With this whole Star Citizen / Derek Smart thing, I think anyone would have to have given Chris Roberts (aka The Chairman lol) credit for not getting into a public spat.

Though now with this that's no longer the case, now we just end up with two monkeys covered in shit from throwing it at eachother.

20. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 01:39 Kosumo

We're not doomed, If he turns up we can just give him a refund and show him the door. Laugh2  

19. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 01:34 ViRGE

shihonage wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 21:11:
If Derek Smart played it snide, compact, and cool, his words would've been a lot harder to discard by this clown. He would've had more impact.

Alas, Derek Smart cannot control his emotions.

Derek Smart.
Well that's just great. You've doomed us all.

18. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 00:10 jdreyer

Zor wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 22:50:
blah blah blah, they're taking too long so it's being done wrong and none of them have talent and it's all a scam and blah blah I'm impatient I don't want more I want less and quicker and I have noooooooooothing else to do with all my time but scream through my keyboard at the internet that game development I can actually take part of is a horrible and unexpectedly lengthy pile of crap I wish I had never touched blah blah...

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 22:50 Zor

16. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 22:38 Pr()ZaC

shihonage wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 21:11:
If Derek Smart played it snide, compact, and cool, his words would've been a lot harder to discard by this clown. He would've had more impact.

Derek Smart.
I see what you did there...

15. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 21:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Flatline wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:53:

Star Citizen: The Search for More Money

Ah Spaceballs, is there anything you can't be a mocking reference for?

14. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 21:11 shiho

Derek Smart.

13. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 20:26 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 17:49:
I'm pretty confident that [none of the backers want] some small limited scope game.

I am pretty confident that a fairly large contingent of your backers want just a reboot of Wing Commander / Privateer. You know, the thing you originally promised them.

+1

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

12. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 19:28 edaciousx

nin wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:22:
Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 17:49:
I am pretty confident that a fairly large contingent of your backers want just a reboot of Wing Commander / Privateer. You know, the thing you originally promised them.

Thank you!

I third this one.

"Maybe it's taking a bit longer than people want it to"

Maybe? I don't think so chris, it is taking a bit longer than people want it to, quite a bit longer.

11. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 19:05 Cutter

Leave it to Chris 'Snake Oil' Roberts to deflect away from all the actual problems of the game's development by talking about pie in the sky visions. Fools and their money are soon parted.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

10. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 18:53 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:26:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:00:
Chris seems to spend all of his time giving interviews and looking for even more money.

That's pretty much what Star Citizen is all about. Take the money and change the scope.

Star Citizen: The Search for More Money

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo