Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced

The Elite Dangerous website unveils Horizons, a new "season of gameplay expansions" coming to Elite Dangerous, Frontier's space MMOG. Word is this is coming in time for the holidays:
Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches this Holiday. The first expansion, Planetary Landings introduces players to planet surfaces and the first all-new Surface Recon Vehicle (SRV) the ‘Scarab’. Scanning airless planets and moons brings new gameplay as players detect signals, crashed ships, mineral deposits, outposts and fortresses. Alone or with friends players will explore, mine and engage hostile forces as they attempt to infiltrate strongholds guarding valuable rewards. Players will explore new worlds, coasting over mountaintops, diving into canyons, landing on the surface and rolling out onto the surface in your SRV, all without loading times or breaks in gameplay.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons will continue to introduce new features and gameplay as the season continues into 2016, enriching the Elite Dangerous experience with new activities and new ways to play.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons includes all Elite Dangerous content to date, and all players will continue to fly together in the same galaxy. Existing Elite Dangerous players receive a £10 loyalty discount off the price of Elite Dangerous: Horizons, retaining their progress and unlocking the exclusive ‘Cobra Mk IV’ in-game spacecraft.

Order now and be among the first to land, Holiday 2015.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
Aug 5, 2015, 20:25
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 20:25
Aug 5, 2015, 20:25

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 12:04:
I am a premium beta backer not Alpha and I am also getting this expansion.
Accroding to their site I am getting all the expansions not just 2 although I didn't think there were any more than 2 major add on packs planned.

More info here: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=164

Awesome thanks. Now I am excited for it.

How do you tell what "beta backer" you are? I bought in 2014 for $75, it just says "Elite beta" in my order history.

Bundy wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 14:59:
Everyone has their own preferences. Mine are completely mirror to yours, I don't know if I'll ever play ED again b/c everytime I enter supercruise, or have to dogfight, I end up half turning around and watching a TV show behind me

You can turn off flight assist, and turn around in VERY quickly, turn it back on order to engage. At least when I played it months back. If you're just making large circles it can get boring. Flight assist = flying like a jet. Flight assist off = flying a spaceship. You can near spin like a too while traveling forward quickly.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Aug 5, 2015, 19:37
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 19:37
Aug 5, 2015, 19:37

Vall Forran wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 19:07:

I'm not sold on the planetary landing thing. I thought they were going to have you be able to dock and then leave your ship and walk around...more to just get out of the ship. But that would require a fps mode which is outside of FD's scope. The whole mako thing seems like a stop-gap measure. Power play wasn't very well received...it's kind of why I don't play much anymore.

I'm pretty sure FPS module is still in the plans for ED, if the game lasts long enough to warrant one.

Aug 5, 2015, 19:20
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 19:20
Aug 5, 2015, 19:20

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 14:46:
Bundy wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 14:30:
Yeah they wanted to not let you turret. I prefer Star Citizen's method to this, personally. In ED they gimped your ship. In SC they didn't, but if you keep spinning too quickly your vision gets blurry and you lose consciousness. I don't care for the flight system in ED. Regardless of their reasons. Even the nimble ships feel like you're flying a freight train. Just wasn't fun.
I much prefer ED flight model to SC.
SC just makes me frustrated and it feels like I am controlling a freecam not a space ship.

Anyways we'll see what Chris Roberts does until release but if they keep the flight model the way it is I won't be playing SC at all. Elite is way better imo, to each their own.

^ this

CIG is going to have to completely revamp their flight model to even come close to their self-proclaimed standard of wishing to become the BDSSE (best damn space sim ever).

Elite Dangerous may not appeal to everyone and certainly not to the exact same demographic as SC because it's two entirely different concepts but big kudos to Braben & co for nailing the spaceship part.
With my HOTAS Warthog (and a nice custom T.A.R.G.E.T profile) it is simply awesome from A to Z when you sit in your landing bay, go through the checklist and take off into the great wide open.
As you said, it feels like actually flying instead of playing Crysis in space.

At this point I have very little hope for SC in that regard. They probably just went with the wrong engine. Squadron 42 still has not officially been delayed so we must assume that S42 will launch with the current flight model by the end of this year. If S42 is delayed for improvements to the flight model then it will be a long delay because they are going to have to basically start from scratch to make it feel like flying a ship as in E:D or even like in CR's previous games.
All of the old space sims simply feel better than SC even if they're maybe not nearly as physically accurate (tho I actually have huge doubts about SC's *supposed* physical accuracy). But who really gives a shit about physics? Just make it fun already...

Aug 5, 2015, 19:07
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 19:07

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 15:45:
SC just makes me frustrated and it feels like I am controlling a freecam not a space ship.

Ditto. ED feels like flying a ship, SC feels like a space turret blackout simulator. To each their own.

+1

I quite like the slow yaw in ED. It's like precision aim. The ships also feel as if they have mass, unlike the arcade-y feel to SC and the X games.

I hate how SC makes you install the ENTIRE game every single patch. Takes ages. And then, there are some ridiculously stupid bindings you have to fix. I quit in disgust one night because my ship was spinning in circles. Turns out, the "roll" binding was bound to my throttle stick. Genius...that's the typical setup for hotas...

I'm not sold on the planetary landing thing. I thought they were going to have you be able to dock and then leave your ship and walk around...more to just get out of the ship. But that would require a fps mode which is outside of FD's scope. The whole mako thing seems like a stop-gap measure. Power play wasn't very well received...it's kind of why I don't play much anymore.

J
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 19:07
J

I think I'll wait on the expansion and see how it plays out before purchasing. I like Elite: Dangerous to a degree, but it can get really grindy if you let it. Space pamphlets are particularly grindy.
nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Aug 5, 2015, 18:44
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 18:44
Aug 5, 2015, 18:44

Tumbler wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 13:21:
You can buy the expansion content for 50 or if you're a new user just the expansion for 60 which includes the base game.

Sounds good to me as a new user but if I'd purchased the original game I think I'd feel pretty pissed about them asking for another $50.

I kind of am pissed. The expansion almost hits the sweet spot for me at 45 bucks. I could stomach 40 bucks. That would drop the "core game" price from the 30 or so that you see on sale occasionally now to 20 for the "bundle". I could easily stomach a 30 dollar price point, and am fine for a 40 dollar price point. For some reason though the extra 5 bucks kind of does it for me.

More importantly though, that means that odds are the content for the core elite game after the CQB update is probably going to be static. And that makes me have a sad.

Aug 5, 2015, 16:39
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 16:39

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 13:03:
The pricing on E:D is giving me ED.

PHJF

Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 16:39
 PHJF

Nothing is ever "seamless" in Elite, as mandated by the supercruise mechanic.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 5, 2015, 16:22
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 16:22
Aug 5, 2015, 16:22

I read somewhere that it's seamless.

edit -- "If there wasn't already a terrifying amount of world in Elite Dangerous, well, wave goodbye to that small sliver of your social life not spent in a cockpit. The first part of the space sim's second season of expansions will let you fly seamlessly to the the surface of planets and land."

Here.

Aug 5, 2015, 16:07
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 16:07
Aug 5, 2015, 16:07

They need to ramp up the procedurally generated content to fill in the void of everything being the same. I was hoping for more variety in the space station designs for example.

I wonder how they plan on implementing multiplayer into this type of expansion, I guess there will be limits on what you can do on the planet surface - no blowing up other player ships for example. Will you have the freedom to land anywhere or will it just be a "seamless" cutscene to the planet surface?

Aug 5, 2015, 15:45
Zor
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 15:45
Zor

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 15:41:
So much hate
I'm just amused it's not exclusive.

Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 15:45

Ditto. ED feels like flying a ship, SC feels like a space turret blackout simulator. To each their own.

Aug 5, 2015, 15:41
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 15:41
Aug 5, 2015, 15:41

So much hate
Steam: SpectralMeat

Aug 5, 2015, 15:38
Cutter

Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 15:38
Aug 5, 2015, 15:38
 Cutter

Gee, landing on empty worlds only to scan them and leave again. Sounds like more fun than a human being should be allowed to have really.

Rolleyes
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Aug 5, 2015, 14:59
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 14:59
Aug 5, 2015, 14:59

Yeah they wanted to not let you turret. I prefer Star Citizen's method to this, personally. In ED they gimped your ship. In SC they didn't, but if you keep spinning too quickly your vision gets blurry and you lose consciousness. I don't care for the flight system in ED. Regardless of their reasons. Even the nimble ships feel like you're flying a freight train. Just wasn't fun.

Anyways we'll see what Chris Roberts does until release but if they keep the flight model the way it is I won't be playing SC at all. Elite is way better imo, to each their own.

Everyone has their own preferences. Mine are completely mirror to yours, I don't know if I'll ever play ED again b/c everytime I enter supercruise, or have to dogfight, I end up half turning around and watching a TV show behind me

Aug 5, 2015, 14:46
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 14:46
Aug 5, 2015, 14:46

Steam: SpectralMeat

Aug 5, 2015, 14:30
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 14:30
Aug 5, 2015, 14:30

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 13:03:
InBlack wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 12:16:
Im not sure Im gonna be paying full price for this expansion if all it ends up being is the landing mini game from Mass Effect. Had some fun with Elite though when it came out, but yeah it kind of got old quite quickly for two reasons. First of all Im not the kind of guy who enjoys trading in space games and the combat while fun got old fast, as the mission types were really repetitive snooze fests. Secondly I disliked the really terrible artificially limited yaw speed, while the rest of the flight model was absolutely awesome I couldnt stomach this one huge glaring mistake.

As I understand it, the flight model is that way for 2 reasons:

1. The original game was that way I think

2. Desire to avoid "turret in space" syndrome.

It's a shame that they went back on their promise to allow offline single player, as I'm sure that would be one of the first mods out the door. It would be interesting to see how it played.

Aug 5, 2015, 13:26
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 13:26
Aug 5, 2015, 13:26

Got suckered into buying this shallow tech demo POS. Won't happen again. Still praying they make it the game I thought I was buying at release.

My hopes for a living universe to tool around in lie with Star Citizen and god only knows how that's going to turn out.

Aug 5, 2015, 13:21
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 13:21
Aug 5, 2015, 13:21

You can buy the expansion content for 50 or if you're a new user just the expansion for 60 which includes the base game.

Sounds good to me as a new user but if I'd purchased the original game I think I'd feel pretty pissed about them asking for another $50.

This sounds a lot like the Destiny plan as well. You can pay $50 for the newest expansion coming next month but a new user pays $60 and gets everything they've released up to this point plus the new expansion... (Also a niche game)

Thanx....

Something to consider though is this is still a niche game and the DCS series puts out new content in the form of new planes often and charge something like $40+ for a prepurchase and I think $50 at release?

I'm looking forward to Getting into Elite dangerous finally with this update. It will be interesting to see what happens when Elite and No Man's sky are both offering something similar and maybe those companies can start competing and pushing down prices.

Hell, DCS would be smart to build a space fighter module, just to try and grab some of this space sim surge. That CCP game should be coming in the near future, Valkerie, going to be a lot of choices for a space simmer to spend money on soon. Maybe even...battle- (HUUUURGGEHH) sorry I just threw up a little. Maybe not that one so much.

Edit: Ugh, just bought Elite Dangerous Horizons, $63 after conversion via paypal... ugh, haven't paid that much for a game in a while.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2015, 13:31.

Aug 5, 2015, 13:03
Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 13:03
Aug 5, 2015, 13:03

The pricing on E:D is giving me ED.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older