Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer

The Star Wars Battlefront website now offers the full Fighter Squadron trailer they recently teased). The clip shows dogfights with some iconic spacecraft from the series, including the Millennium Falcon. The accompanying article has more on what to expect from this mode:

Dogfight
In Fighter Squadron you’ll jump into the iconic ships of the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire. Behind the sticks of X-wings, A-wings, TIE fighters, and TIE Interceptors you’ll engage in aerial battles with up to 20 players. AI-controlled ships join the battles, giving players an intense, action-packed experience.

Your team’s objective is to destroy more fighters than the other team. If your team reaches the score limit of 200 kills or has the most kills when the time limit is over, your side wins!

But there’s more than dogfights to worry about. As transport shuttles are being utilized by both the Rebels and Imperials, your job will be to either attack the other team’s shuttle or keep yours out of harm’s way. Expect intense fights over the transport shuttles and earn bonus points if you “take care” of them as your objective directs.

When you hit the cockpit, you’ll use several offensive and defensive tactics. Your ship’s laser cannons will rough up enemy targets and missiles will do a great deal of damage.

“Use your lock-on when you’re on the tail of a foe,” Forsman advises. “Then, fire off a missile when the time is right and hope for a deadly hit. Just remember to keep an eye on the cool-down period for your arsenal during your fights.”

Each side also has a unique ship ability: Imperial ships can get from A to B in just a few, ahem, parsecs with their speed boost and the Rebels can activate a shield for when the going gets tough. Chased or outnumbered? Both sides can hit one of the evasive maneuver buttons to quickly shake off enemies.

If you want to give yourself and your team an edge, look for powerups located in key areas of the map. Often placed low and by challenging flight paths, these pickups are a bit tricky to reach but with bonuses like ship repairs or shorter missile cooldown they’re definitely worth the trip.

Then there’s that special powerup, the one that gives you a few minutes piloting the galaxy’s most coveted starfighters.

“For the Rebels, the Hero starfighter is the Millennium Falcon. The Imperial team will get to pilot Slave-1, made famous by Jango and Boba Fett,” Peter Forsman explains.

Apart from the thrill of taking control over these epic ships (hot tip: try out the cockpit view to fulfill that Boba Fett battle fantasy), Hero starfighters possess better attack and defense abilities. Learn where the pickups are located and you’ll be a Fighter Squadron ace in no time.

Fighter Squadron is designed for all fans who ever wanted to dogfight in the skies with their favorite ships from the Star Wars universe. It’s challenging and the aerial battles will require some skills, but Peter Forsman ensure us that the mode will welcome all players:

“The fact that there are AI-controlled enemies that need to be taken down means that players who aren’t ace pilots still can help out their team. Fighter Squadron is definitely for everyone, and you’ll feel right at home if you’re a fan of the Star Wars starfighter battles,” says Forsman.

So no matter if you’re an ace or rookie pilot, we hope you’ll enjoy your time in the air when Fighter Squadron launches with Star Wars Battlefront on November 17th.

Fighter Squadron isn’t your style? Find out how you can team up against an AT-AT attack in Walker Assault – more info HERE

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 6, 2015, 09:34 Bub

Tie fighters followed the WWII German ME109 and the Japanese Zero design form which was fast, light and maneuverable with little to no armor. They were supposed to be, and were in the first Star Wars movie, very hard to hit, but all it took was one hit to take them out.

This vid shows Tie fighters that are somewhat easy to hit and taking multiple hits with little to no damage or performance degradation. Someone did not study the base material.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 6, 2015, 09:05 Siygess

Don't expect Rogue Squadron 2015, expect.. well, Star Wars Battlefront 2015 (aka 3). Everything we see here has been done before, albeit with less pretty graphics and no paid DLC. So far, the only significant changes I can see are:

1) No single player "story" mode aka MP maps chained together and filled with bots.
2) Arcadey space combat has been replaced by arcadey atmospheric combat, with presumably no capital ship interaction (which is a shame - that was fun). I'm really not sure where this 'on rails' thing has come from. This ain't SW:TOR
3) Ships + Ground combat now takes place on the 'normal' maps, where modern day soldiers have been swapped for Stromtroopers and your F-16 A1A1A1A1s have been swapped for X-Wings. In the previous games, you could only have both in the small number of 'space' maps.

Expecting the next Battlefront game to be anything other than another Battlefront game is wishful thinking and also kind of crazy

25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 6, 2015, 08:27 SpectralMeat

Rigs wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 08:12:
'Ok, Red Squadron, stay in attack formation!'

*Everybody bolts in all different directions the second he finishes saying it* Wall2

=-Rigs-=
I've noticed that too, made me laugh

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 6, 2015, 08:12 Rigs

'Ok, Red Squadron, stay in attack formation!'

*Everybody bolts in all different directions the second he finishes saying it* Wall2

Edit: Looking at the first static image for the video, I'm curious as to what ship is on the middle-right side? I thought maybe an Imperial shuttle but it doesn't really look like it, then I thought maybe it was Slave 1 coming 'at' the camera, but there's something sticking out behind it. Then I thought maybe it was another Millennium Falcon. I dunno. Maybe you guys can figure it out?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2015, 08:36.

23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 6, 2015, 02:50 Kxmode

I'm already set to go for Fallout 4!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 6, 2015, 01:01 1badmf

yeah wake me up when they make a genuine successor to xwing.  

21. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 23:29 nin

walrus1 wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 23:10:
Do we have to do this craptastic EA multiplayer targeting computer assisted insult and hackathon? Can't we just get another X-wing VS Tie Fighter instead?

Honestly, everything about this game screams "casual". They want it to appeal to as many people as possible, and they're relying on the SW license to rope people in. It's a quick and dirty cash in to match the release date of episode 7.

And yet they push just enough buttons that I'm interested. I feel guilty as fuck, but it's true. I see that TIE cockpit view and I'm reminded of the classic games and I'd love to see an updated version of that (which this is not).

I'm basically expecting Rogue Squadron 2015, plus an foot mode. It's all about managed expectations, and mine are towards the bottom on this one.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2015, 00:11.

20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 23:10 walrus1

Do we have to do this craptastic EA multiplayer targeting computer assisted insult and hackathon? Can't we just get another X-wing VS Tie Fighter instead?  

19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 21:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 15:43:

Jesus some of you are just gluttons for punishment aren't ya? All DICE ever does is give it to you Glomp sans lube Biker and you guys just keep going back for more.

I can't honestly say I won't buy this when it goes on sale, I don't think I'll bother getting it new. My group of Battlefield players all skipped BF:Hardline, and we're only sporadically playing BF4. Overall response to SW:BF has been pretty meh, because of all the 'on-rails' talk. Stil, DICE/EA knows how to make some really great trailers.

Also, apparently I really need to start using the extended Emojis, I didn't know there was a "rear assault" emoticon, let alone a "Herculean Mustache" one.

18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 16:20 DangerDog

Fighter Squadron is 20 players + 20 AI = 40 fighters + transport ships in the sky

There's your "bots" in multiplayer, and no you won't be able to turn them off and fill them with human players.

I think they realize that the lifespan of multiplayer is getting shorter and shorter, you have an initial rush to play the game and then it drops off sharply. They might obscure the number of active players playing the game by counting bots as players, that is if they actually report the number of players in game in the first place.

They're going to casual the crap out of this game with auto-target tracking reticules and lock on missiles with no countermeasures. And that might not be a bad thing because you always get some jackass who plays the game non stop 24/7 and smears everyone else from the map - anyone who's ever played "air superiority" mode in BF4 can attest to that.

17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 15:43 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 12:51:
Shit... I know this is going to end up being consolized, extremely monetized, and no doubt buggy as shit upon release, but these videos are still like crack cocaine!

These clever bastards.

Jesus some of you are just gluttons for punishment aren't ya? All DICE ever does is give it to you Glomp sans lube Biker and you guys just keep going back for more.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 15:29 wtf_man

Too bad I won't buy an EA game.  

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 14:58 SpectralMeat

Julio wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 14:52:
This one's a wait and see on what can be played offline with bots.
Yeah keep on dreaming

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 14:52 Julio

I thought everyone was too busy playing BF Hardline to have time for this This one's a wait and see on what can be played offline with bots.  

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 14:31 atomicfro

As others have said, this trailer looks friggin sweet, and definately "crack cocaine."

Unfortunately I have to agree it does look to me to be on rails, plus I was noticing a bit of what looked like auto aim which is disappointing to me.

Even if the best we can get in this day and age of what are comparatively super computers to the hay day of flight/space sims is a great looking on rails arcade game, as long as it isn't a buggy piece of shit, its cocaine enough to me.

12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 13:40 Yosemite Sam

Game is looking pretty damn sweet, hope the game play is as nice as the visuals.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 13:30 SlimRam

Task wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 10:14:
Too bad it won't have modding - the first thing I'd do is create historical engagements from the films or EU. I wonder if they'll even have a server option to enforce cockpit view only.
Yeah I personally LOVE the cockpit view but...no one is going to play that way unless forced to; you would get pwned in 3.2 seconds flat. Rolleyes

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 12:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Shit... I know this is going to end up being consolized, extremely monetized, and no doubt buggy as shit upon release, but these videos are still like crack cocaine!

These clever bastards.

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 12:35 CJ_Parker

Still doesn't say whether it's on rails or free movement. Looks like rails with some limited up/down/left/right to me. The lack of boasting free movement actually speaks volumes.

Anyway, this is only a discount buy at best since this will end up as bug, lag and DLC hell. Wake me up when the game *and* premium can be had for <= $20.

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 11:45 Jackplug

Lots of scripted action, yawn!  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo