Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 08:35  Blue 

1badmf wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 01:12:
haha a slap in the face is as nice as it gets between philly and NY huh?

Pretty much... the animosity isn't quite at the Boston level, but it's up there.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 01:12 1badmf

haha a slap in the face is as nice as it gets between philly and NY huh?  

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 19:18 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 14:04:
While that's true, a country's culture and education level certainly influence how people act. That robot could have been in Japan for decades without someone vandalizing it.

And it could have lasted less than a day if it met with the right person. There is nothing to learn other than if you expect a piece of parts un-manned to make it from coast to coast hitchhiking of all things, chances are it isn't going to make it far and your lucky if you even get to recover any parts.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 14:04 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 13:20:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:04:
CORRECTION: "Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because US CITIZENS Are Terrible"

It crossed Canada and many European countries including Germany without a scratch. US proving once again how barbaric and savage this country really is.

Yeah, let's pretend there aren't shitty people all over the world. They played the odds and the odds finally caught up with them.

While that's true, a country's culture and education level certainly influence how people act. That robot could have been in Japan for decades without someone vandalizing it.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 14:00  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 13:56:
nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 09:59:
Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 09:52:
nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 09:50:
Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because Humans Are Terrible.

Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

That's how long it took to reach Philadelphia.

Is that shade towards Philly?

Isn't it always sunny in Philadelphia?

City of brotherly love indeed.

Yeah, that was a Philly dig. But in context, I am a New Yorker... that was actually my version of being nice about the place.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 13:58 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:03:
Not surprised that the robot didn't make it very far across the US. At least it wasn't shot I guess...

It wasn't a black robot.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 13:56 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 09:59:
Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 09:52:
nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 09:50:
Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because Humans Are Terrible.

Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

That's how long it took to reach Philadelphia.

Is that shade towards Philly?

Isn't it always sunny in Philadelphia?

City of brotherly love indeed.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 13:30 nin

ledhead1969 wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 13:27:
The lesson is don't be a freeloader in Philly. Good for them.

You win the Cutter award for the day.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 13:27 ledhead1969

"This was no robot - (it's actually) a bunch of junk glued on to a trash can and left by the side of the road along with a sign asking people to cart it around."

The lesson is don't be a freeloader in Philly. Good for them.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 13:20 Agent.X7

CORRECTION: "Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because US CITIZENS Are Terrible"

It crossed Canada and many European countries including Germany without a scratch. US proving once again how barbaric and savage this country really is.

Yeah, let's pretend there aren't shitty people all over the world. They played the odds and the odds finally caught up with them.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:45 Cutter

Julio wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 12:27:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:48:
It is quite hard to see how providing free upgrades to Windows is not consumer-friendly.

The reason for the "free" upgrade is to mine your data and sell it without making it easy to opt out. Not consumer friendly in my books. Whether you like or hate Apple, they've specialized in being idiot proof, which Windows is not.

There are plenty of average consumers who need the type of service Best Buy is providing. I'm not one of them, but the need exists.

Whilst you can turn off some stuff, there's a lot you can't. With Windows 10 you give them permissions to root through your PC, all your online stuff, and indemnify them from handing over to the government, 3rd parties, etc. No thanks.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:44 Julio

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 12:37:
Trump believes an illegal Mexican raped it.

Hopefully a DNA test can prove that the fine people of Philadelphia didn't rape the robot before dismembering it.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:43 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 12:27:
It is quite hard to see how providing free upgrades to Windows is not consumer-friendly.

The reason for the "free" upgrade is to mine your data and sell it without making it easy to opt out. Not consumer friendly in my books. Whether you like or hate Apple, they've specialized in being idiot proof, which Windows is not.

There are plenty of average consumers who need the type of service Best Buy is providing. I'm not one of them, but the need exists.

Julio correct. I am expecting one of two things here with Win10.

1. We truly are a build it up, tear it down, build it up, tear it down society and Win 10 is in the Build it Up phase.

2. Or people are going to wake up here. It could be great, fast, reliable, Win 8 was to vs Win 7. But man no Start Menu (even though you could download a fix faster than you can take a piss) and all hell broke lose with 8. Reading the stuff one should be doing with 10 to make it ready to use, it is much worse, however I grant you it is faster etc than 8. That said I have plenty of speed and reliability with 7 still, so while improvements, it isn't key improvements for me.

I expect to move to 10, but it is interesting how this BS is getting a pass because when I weight the inets words and what is going on, Win 10 should be the one being put over your lap and getting a massive spanking. But see #1, we are in the positive moon cycle.

I need to wait, I can turn shit off, but does it come back on? Or is there still more hidden shit doing its thing we haven't figured out yet.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:39 HorrorScope

Good on Best Buy, Microsoft isn't exactly making Windows 10 a consumer friendly OS. Apple they are not.
That's a deplorable move by Best Buy and the world is quite grateful that Microsoft is not Apple! It is quite hard to see how providing free upgrades to Windows is not consumer-friendly.

I think it is a fair option for those that fear or don't know how to handle upgrades. The price is reasonable and shouldn't be expected to be done for free by any company.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:37 HorrorScope

Trump believes an illegal Mexican raped it.

It was bound to happen and it isn't imo right or wrong that it did happen. Robots like drones put fear and threat into people. There are plenty of articles of job loss, what if "AI" scenario's. And well they don't have rights, I'm a big believer if there was a license you could get to hunt humans there would be a surprising number of people who would apply.

We don't expect good results with people hitchhiking, why would we assume better one's with a robot?

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:27 Julio

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 11:52 Megalodon

Not surprised that the robot didn't make it very far across the US. At least it wasn't shot I guess...

Good on Best Buy, Microsoft isn't exactly making Windows 10 a consumer friendly OS. Apple they are not.

Windows 10 is about as consumer friendly as Windows 7 and the move by Best Buy is ridiculous. $130 to get Geek Squad to show you how to use the start button. Listen maybe you need that kind of assistance but even my grand parents could figure things out themselves for that kind of cash.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 11:48 ldonyo

That's a deplorable move by Best Buy and the world is quite grateful that Microsoft is not Apple! It is quite hard to see how providing free upgrades to Windows is not consumer-friendly.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 11:27 killer_roach

Interesting Amazon article, although I sort of expected it to be outlining newer technology than that. While the Robbinsville site is pretty new (a little over a year old), some of the aspects talked about have been part of Amazon fulfillment centers for years, and a couple of the technologies mentioned have been part of Amazon for over a decade now...  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 11:05 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:35:

Meh, while the US has its share of problems, let's not blame 300+ million people for the actions of a handful, or even possibly one person.

Also, this robot probably had a longer US lifespan than most human hitchhikers, if the stories can be believed.

Yeah, you can easily blame that one on Philly. It's one of the greatest hives of scum and villainy in the US. Someone should make a tribute vid of Hitchbot with the Boss' Streets of Philadelphia.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >