Out of the Blue

I would like to thank the Mets for improving to the point where they are actually still relevant at this point in the season. Normally I'd already have turned my complete sports focus on the fact that NFL training camps are getting underway, but the Amazin' Mets have lived up to the nickname, and are just thousandths of a percentage point out of first place. I actually made specific plans to watch the game last night, and it's been a long time since the team was last appointment viewing in August.

R.I.P: Tom Moore, famed Archie comic artist. Thanks Ant.

Amazin' Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Finite Moves.
Swing Ninja.
Stories: Job insecurity is the new normal. Thanks Slashdot.
Challenger, Columbia Wreckage on Public Display for 1st Time. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Soylent 2.0 is coming—pre-mixed, in a bottle. Still not people.
Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura will fly on NASA’s airborne observatory.
Media: ZOOMIES - Auralnauts. So great.
Best Fails of the Month July 2015. NS & NSFW. Thanks nin.
REACT GAMING - BATMAN- ARKHAM KNIGHT.
Follow-up: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 4, 2015, 01:07
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2015, 01:07
Aug 4, 2015, 01:07

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 23:18:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 22:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 22:00:

Cats = popular
Zimbabwe = not popular

Sounds about right. No one in the 'social media' gets upset when a lion kill 23 people or an elephant goes on a rampage in Zimbabwe, but suddenly a lion with a name is killed...and OMG...MUH FEEEELLLLLLlllsssss.

Imagine if someone hurt Maru or Grumpy Cat The (digital) (1st) (social) world would be on the brink of war!

but all kidding aside... i would kick your ass if you hurt maru =P

Aug 3, 2015, 23:18
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 23:18
Aug 3, 2015, 23:18

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 22:07:

Cats = popular
Zimbabwe = not popular

Sounds about right. No one in the 'social media' gets upset when a lion kill 23 people or an elephant goes on a rampage in Zimbabwe, but suddenly a lion with a name is killed...and OMG...MUH FEEEELLLLLLlllsssss.

Imagine if someone hurt Maru or Grumpy Cat The (digital) (1st) (social) world would be on the brink of war!

No subject
Aug 3, 2015, 22:07
No subject Aug 3, 2015, 22:07
Aug 3, 2015, 22:07

Cats = popular
Zimbabwe = not popular

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion.
Aug 3, 2015, 22:00
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 22:00
Aug 3, 2015, 22:00

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:32:
"Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion."

Exactly. A whole lot of free outrage over a dead animal, not a single tear shed over the actual human suffering going on in Zimbabwe. "People without electricity or water? Meh. Lions! OMG let's start a twitter campaign!"

Good work, humanity.

Cats = popular
Zimbabwe = not popular

Aug 3, 2015, 16:05
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 16:05
Aug 3, 2015, 16:05

nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:29:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:26:
Finished all four episodes of Life is Strange. Quite possibly one of the most powerful games I've played. That it takes place in a modern setting with amazingly well written characters isn't what sets this gem apart from others. It has consequences that can have devastating results in ways not seen in other games. Even the Witcher series doesn't have consequences quite like the ones found in this game. Life is Strange is the reason why I am a gamer.

Check out my Life is Strange fan art.

That all sounds awesome. Now gimmie that damn 5th episode so I can play it.

QFT

Aug 3, 2015, 15:05
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 15:05
Aug 3, 2015, 15:05

Damn man! Won $50 on my lottery quick pick from Saturday. Not to be greedy but you'd think getting 4 out of 6 numbers right should garner more than $50. Like $5,000 or at least 5 hundy. Still beats a kick in the head with a frozen boot.

And I had to change my front driver side low beam on my Sonata and figured I'd have to take out the whole assembly and it'd be a major PITA. Nope, just enough room to unscrew the cover, remove it, and replace it. All done inside 5 minutes. Sweet. Everything's coming up Milhouse!
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Aug 3, 2015, 15:00
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 15:00
Aug 3, 2015, 15:00

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 14:46:
Believe me, it's crystal clear for me. Trophy hunting is atrocious, the dentist is a scumbag and most likely part of a crime, very few people will argue against that.

However saying Africa is a problem of its own making ignores hundreds of years of slavery, exploitation, colonization and general rape and pillaging of resources on a vast scale.

My comment was more about the nature of humanity to simply ignore the suffering of large numbers of humans and focus on one admittedly terrible story about ONE animal.

A similar style of thinking occurs all the time, I'm not sure what you would call it, but the same person that curses out homeless people will lose their shit over rescuing a stray dog or cat. Blaming the victim, maybe?

Maybe because people are no damn good. Humanity has it's moments when it's a beautiful thing, but on the whole we're a fucking horrific species by nature. If I was an advanced alien race that stumbled across this planet you could be damn sure I'd slate them for eradication.

And Africa is its own problem. It was its own problem before we got there and it's been a problem for long after we left. You can talk about colonial policies in the whole of Southeast Asia and they had no problem picking up the pieces and moving onward and upward. Africa is just one excuse after the other. And all that foreign aid does is keep them dependent and corrupt. Cut them off completely. Short term pain for long term gain. If they can't swim like everyone else they should sink. Resources are getting way too scarce to continue wasting good money after bad.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Aug 3, 2015, 14:46
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 14:46
Aug 3, 2015, 14:46

Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:13:

Because it's not about killing an animal. It's about how it was killed and why. Even PETA may not like people that kill animals for food but they can understand it. No one, and I mean no one, except for other tiny-dicked psychopaths likes trophy hunters. It's a sin if there ever was one. Then the how, luring the animal out of a protected reserve to shoot it. Shooting it with an arrow so as not to alert the authorities. Letting it bleed to death over 2 days. Then beheading and skinning it leaving the carcas to rot, all to make said tiny-dicked dentist feel like a big man. And said tiny-dick dentist has done this before. Poaching and lying about it to cover his self-entitled ass. Does that make things a little clearer for you?

Africa is a problem of its own making, but animals are innocents just doing what they do, so yeah, it pisses people off when assholes like that dentist do shit like this.

Believe me, it's crystal clear for me. Trophy hunting is atrocious, the dentist is a scumbag and most likely part of a crime, very few people will argue against that.

However saying Africa is a problem of its own making ignores hundreds of years of slavery, exploitation, colonization and general rape and pillaging of resources on a vast scale.

My comment was more about the nature of humanity to simply ignore the suffering of large numbers of humans and focus on one admittedly terrible story about ONE animal.

A similar style of thinking occurs all the time, I'm not sure what you would call it, but the same person that curses out homeless people will lose their shit over rescuing a stray dog or cat. Blaming the victim, maybe?

Aug 3, 2015, 13:25
mag
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 13:25
Aug 3, 2015, 13:25
mag

Exactly. A whole lot of free outrage over a dead animal, not a single tear shed over the actual human suffering going on in Zimbabwe. "People without electricity or water? Meh. Lions! OMG let's start a twitter campaign!"

Good work, humanity.

Those sorts of problems are too big, the solutions are too big, for people to get that worked up about. How do you get outraged over it? Where do you focus your anger? How do you go about making a change?

The lion represents a big problem, but is very small on its own. We know who did it and how he did it. He was one of our countrymen. We can hold him accountable and hope an example is made.

Aug 3, 2015, 12:34
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 12:34
Aug 3, 2015, 12:34

Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:13:
No one, and I mean no one, except for other tiny-dicked psychopaths likes trophy hunters.

There's a few posters here who are pro-trophy hunting...but then again you're probably right about them...

Aug 3, 2015, 11:29
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 11:29
Aug 3, 2015, 11:29
nin

Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:26:
Finished all four episodes of Life is Strange. Quite possibly one of the most powerful games I've played. That it takes place in a modern setting with amazingly well written characters isn't what sets this gem apart from others. It has consequences that can have devastating results in ways not seen in other games. Even the Witcher series doesn't have consequences quite like the ones found in this game. Life is Strange is the reason why I am a gamer.

That all sounds awesome. Now gimmie that damn 5th episode so I can play it.

Aug 3, 2015, 11:26
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 11:26
Aug 3, 2015, 11:26
 Kxmode

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Aug 3, 2015, 11:17
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 11:17
Aug 3, 2015, 11:17

Don't jinx them, Blue!

Damn, Michelle Nichols was fine back in the day.

And job insecurity has been the new normal starting in the 80s. Too many people + limited employment = employers market. GG Free Trade.

Aug 3, 2015, 11:13
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 11:13
Aug 3, 2015, 11:13

Good work, humanity.

Because it's not about killing an animal. It's about how it was killed and why. Even PETA may not like people that kill animals for food but they can understand it. No one, and I mean no one, except for other tiny-dicked psychopaths likes trophy hunters. It's a sin if there ever was one. Then the how, luring the animal out of a protected reserve to shoot it. Shooting it with an arrow so as not to alert the authorities. Letting it bleed to death over 2 days. Then beheading and skinning it leaving the carcas to rot, all to make said tiny-dicked dentist feel like a big man. And said tiny-dick dentist has done this before. Poaching and lying about it to cover his self-entitled ass. Does that make things a little clearer for you?

Africa is a problem of its own making, but animals are innocents just doing what they do, so yeah, it pisses people off when assholes like that dentist do shit like this.

Aug 3, 2015, 10:46
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 10:46
Aug 3, 2015, 10:46

They haven't released Green yet

Aug 3, 2015, 10:32
Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 10:32
Aug 3, 2015, 10:32

Good work, humanity.

Aug 3, 2015, 10:21
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 10:21
Aug 3, 2015, 10:21

Anyone else seen this? 50% off Witcher 3 on Green Man Gaming:

Witcher 3

They also have a coupon but I'm not sure if it stacks.

[edit - just tried it (and bought the game) - $29.99 but the coupon doesn't stack, the key is redeemable on GOG.com]

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2015, 11:10.
Kittens!

Aug 3, 2015, 10:16
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2015, 10:16
Aug 3, 2015, 10:16

Re: Soylent 2.0 is coming—pre-mixed, in a bottle. Still not people.

Sure everyone knows true Soylent is not something you drink, is is in a wafer, or cracker form. Phffftt Chef
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older