Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I finally relented and installed the downstairs air conditioner yesterday. There were a couple of points in July where this almost happened (and probably should have), but yesterday it got to be a bit too much, and the AC provided the expected relief. I can't quite put my finger on why we stubbornly make this such a dramatic decision around here (though hauling the unit up the stairs from the basement served as a bit of a reminder). It's not like anyone is forcing us to turn it on if we don't want to. Oh well, people can be funny.

Funny Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Insert Coin.
Smells Like Art.
Stories: World Population Expected to Reach 9.7 Billion by 2050. Thanks HARDOCP.
Ian McShane Joins "Game of Thrones."
Science: The gorgeous, antiquated technology running the NYC Subway. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Media: ISS Virtual Tour 0.8. Thanks HARDOCP.
I Want To Report This Man For Slinky Abuse!!!!
Just Another Day In The Snake Room.
Follow-up: Marines Declare F-35B Operational. Thanks HARDOCP.
Boxleitner Gives Up On A Third "Tron."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 23:30 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 23:22:
Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 22:45:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 22:10:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 20:51:
Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 18:46:
Everyone talking about how they're better than the shriveled pansy-men who don't shoot

Dreaming of some type of civilization breakdown. But reality will be they will die in a bed of old age hanging on to their last breath. This happened recently and from reports I've heard this man wasn't arrested. He's lucky he's not black or he would have been shot.

Hand on gun AND an AK on the other shoulder.

http://i.imgur.com/knFLjw1.jpg

This analysis by statistician Nate Silver says it all:

• For whites in America, murder rates are comparable to Finland.

• For blacks in America, murder rates are comparable to Rwanda.

• Blacks have a nearly 8 times greater chance of being murdered than whites.

I'd like to see that study because it sounds like cherry picking to fir a political agenda to me. Is that adjusted for overall population percentile? Black on black crime? What about black on white crime? Why do blacks account for half of all crime when they only account for 12% of the population? You don't see those numbers anywhere close to that with any other minorities. Asians account for only 1% of crime and they're 5% of the population. Just a quick search of race crime stats - FBI, etc. - shows that most of the danger that blacks face is of their own making. Everyone else seems to be moving on except them. They always seem to be looking for someone to blame and refusing to accept any responsibility for themselves. Meanwhile those from Asia seem to be moving onward and upward just fine.

jdreyer's link linked to the actual Nate Silver article

Cherry picking what? It's just the stats. They are just what the article says they are. It didn't comment on the other stats and variables you're bringing up.

You can walk into a hospital nursery and predict who will graduate college with a reasonable certainty based on visuals only.

This is why people claiming "racism is solved," or close to it, baffle me. In the US, we have a large, large amount of work to go.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 23:22 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 22:45:
    Everyone talking about how they're better than the shriveled pansy-men who don't shoot

Dreaming of some type of civilization breakdown. But reality will be they will die in a bed of old age hanging on to their last breath. This happened recently and from reports I've heard this man wasn't arrested. He's lucky he's not black or he would have been shot.

I'd like to see that study because it sounds like cherry picking to fir a political agenda to me. Is that adjusted for overall population percentile? Black on black crime? What about black on white crime? Why do blacks account for half of all crime when they only account for 12% of the population? You don't see those numbers anywhere close to that with any other minorities. Asians account for only 1% of crime and they're 5% of the population. Just a quick search of race crime stats - FBI, etc. - shows that most of the danger that blacks face is of their own making. Everyone else seems to be moving on except them. They always seem to be looking for someone to blame and refusing to accept any responsibility for themselves. Meanwhile those from Asia seem to be moving onward and upward just fine.

jdreyer's link linked to the actual Nate Silver article

Cherry picking what? It's just the stats. They are just what the article says they are. It didn't comment on the other stats and variables you're bringing up.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 22:45 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 22:10 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 20:51 HorrorScope

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 20:08 RedEye9

Ian McShane in GOT, he was awesome in Deadwood, should be good.  

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
    http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 19:08 ViRGE

harlock wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 11:37:
    i guess tron is just passe now.. sucks, because that disney cartoon they made was pretty fuckin good - it surprised me a lot
    Ditto. I was really looking forward to another movie.

14. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Aug 2, 2015, 19:05 Cutter

Bitterbug wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 13:44:
    There's two reasons you usually see guys standing around on jobs like that. Unions and safety protocols. I worked for a construction company putting new waters systems under the roads of an air force base one summer. There is absolutely no cross-task work allowed. If I was directing around a junction where the welders were working and they needed a pipe brought to them I would have been fired for picking it up, even if we had to wait 10 minutes for someone designated as a laborer to show up and carry it over. You get one warning when you're new.
    The safety is the more reasonable. For some tasks if there's one guy working on something there's two standing by. Getting someone who has been rendered dead weight to safety is a lot of work. You may also need one person to hold the other back in order to prevent two casualties while they try to resolve the situation.

One guy was drilling a hole and the other guy lubing it with mineral oil. You need 7 guys in addition to that to make sure everyone is safe and the two guys are doing what they're supposed to do? Again, this is the problem with both unions and management. That's just fucking absurd. I've worked union gigs and hated it. Most of my family on my dad's side are all in the trades and only one works a union gig. The rest (sub)contract out because they can't stand the bullshit.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 18:46 Agent.X7

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 17:28:
    Because slogging through the interminable summer heat without AC feeds your primal inner warrior, and the average American male's inner warrior is about as shriveled and ineffectual as a soggy tortilla chip.

You've never been to a shooting range? There's a lot of hyper-inflated inner-warriors there. Everyone talking about how they're better than the shriveled pansy-men who don't shoot, meanwhile they're all 100 lbs overweight and out of shape. (And most of them are horrible shots to boot)

Origin - JStarX7
    STEAM - Agent.X7
    PSN - JStar_X7
    Xbox Live - Agent X7
    GOG - JStarX7

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 17:28 PHJF

Because slogging through the interminable summer heat without AC feeds your primal inner warrior, and the average American male's inner warrior is about as shriveled and ineffectual as a soggy tortilla chip.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 15:58 jdreyer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 13:47:
    I liked TRON but I can also see where a lot of people wouldn't get it or like it on their own.

I enjoyed Tron Legacy, and my kids really did. My son grabs the frisbees often asking to "Play Tron." Bummer there won't be another. So much potential for creativity.

10. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Aug 2, 2015, 15:57 jdreyer

Bitterbug wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 15:03:
    Most snakes I've had is 26.
    Knew a fellow who averaged about 600 in his apartment, and at breeding time, 6000.
    His super announced a surprise inspection during hatching season one year and he had to move the whole thing up two flights to a friends place
    edit: typo fixed

Yeah, always had a snake in the pet mix growing up. Had a ball python for many years, and they're the coolest things, used to being handled and cuddling up to your warmth. And so smooth and muscular to the touch, they are magnificent creatures.

9. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Aug 2, 2015, 15:03 Bitterbug

Most snakes I've had is 26.
    Knew a fellow who averaged about 600 in his apartment, and at breeding time, 6000.
    His super announced a surprise inspection during hatching season one year and he had to move the whole thing up two flights to a friends place
    edit: typo fixed

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 14:54 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 13:48:
    "I can't quite put my finger on why we stubbornly make this such a dramatic decision around here."

Lol, true.

I think we all have those kinda of self imposed principles. It always seems like a personal defeat when the reality of the situation trumps those principles. I usually don't notice mine till something throws a wrench into the works.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 14:45 The Half Elf

Slinky Abuse.... ARRRGH! Heh.

Snake Room.... FUCK NO, FIRE, NAPALM, NUKE IT FROM ORBIT! GAH!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 13:48 HorrorScope

"I can't quite put my finger on why we stubbornly make this such a dramatic decision around here."

Lol, true.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 13:47 Silicon Avatar

I liked TRON but I can also see where a lot of people wouldn't get it or like it on their own.

4. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Aug 2, 2015, 13:44 Bitterbug

There's two reasons you usually see guys standing around on jobs like that. Unions and safety protocols. I worked for a construction company putting new waters systems under the roads of an air force base one summer. There is absolutely no cross-task work allowed. If I was directing around a junction where the welders were working and they needed a pipe brought to them I would have been fired for picking it up, even if we had to wait 10 minutes for someone designated as a laborer to show up and carry it over. You get one warning when you're new.
    The safety is the more reasonable. For some tasks if there's one guy working on something there's two standing by. Getting someone who has been rendered dead weight to safety is a lot of work. You may also need one person to hold the other back in order to prevent two casualties while they try to resolve the situation.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 13:43 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 12:39:
    That NYC subway video was amazing. And what never ceases to also amaze is how city workers get paid for not working. Look around the 5:12 mark on that video and you see 7 guys standing around watching 2 guys work. And people wonder why it takes forever and costs a fortune to get anything build in a city. They need to start hiring overseers that just constantly patrol and make sure everyone is actually working. If not dock them or send them home. City work is so inefficient and corrupt it's ridiculous.

Cool vid., how can you tell there aren't over-seers in that shot? Those are probably different trades there, one for this, one for that etc and most importantly it is a 5 second shot, you can't really tell jack. Who knows what they were just doing or what they will do next. It is union work, everyone has their very narrow role, it adds up in head count. Fuck these guys deserve it, just above them there are people making millions trading paper.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 12:39 Cutter

That NYC subway video was amazing. And what never ceases to also amaze is how city workers get paid for not working. Look around the 5:12 mark on that video and you see 7 guys standing around watching 2 guys work. And people wonder why it takes forever and costs a fortune to get anything build in a city. They need to start hiring overseers that just constantly patrol and make sure everyone is actually working. If not dock them or send them home. City work is so inefficient and corrupt it's ridiculous.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo