Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to "Hate"

A post by developer Scott Cawthon responds to what he calls "a lot of hate" directed towards him and the Five Nights at Freddy's series, and how rapidly the sequels have followed (thanks Kotaku via nin). Here's what he says:
Hi guys. First of all, I wanted to thank the community in general for the huge outpouring of support through emails and in the forums. I know a lot of you are concerned about me or think that I’m stressed out. It’s true that I’m stressed a little; but it’s ok because the result was good. I’ve worked very hard this year, almost non-stop, to produce good games for this series. Even though there may be some debate as to how “good” the games are, I did my best to provide some good scares and a good story. All I can do is judge from the Steam reviews that I’ve been mostly successful; so I’m very happy about that.

It’s true that there has been a lot of hate toward me lately; on the forums, on youtube, etc. And I’ll be honest, it’s difficult. It’s difficult when people seem to dislike you only because you’ve found success with something. I think some people have this idea that I spend my days swimming in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, cranking out games with no effort, then laughing all the way to the bank. The reality is quite different, and I think that people who hate on me for being successful are misguided.

Did you know that last year I was working at Dollar General? I worked as a cashier. I had three bosses who were all still in high school. Before that I worked at Target in the backroom freezer, unloading frozen foods. I haven’t had a successful life; and now that God has blessed me with some success, I’m doing my best to be responsible with that success. I don’t party on weekends, I don’t get drunk or sip martinis. I spend my evenings playing Megaman 3, buster only, with my kids. And I try to good with what's been given to me.

I guess the reason I’m telling you all of this is to make sure you know that I’m human. I have a lot of flaws, and I’ve made a lot of mistakes. My games aren’t perfect, and they never will be. But something more important that I want to convey to all of you, is that you should never listen to people who criticize success simply because it’s success. Being good at something is something to strive for, not something to demonize. Criticisms of my games are fine, and a lot of times the criticism is valid. But there are a lot of people out there who will hate anything that becomes popular, just because it’s popular, and hate anyone who becomes successful, just because they are successful. “Haters gonna hate.” –as they say, but I want you to know that focusing on someone else’s failure or success is the wrong way to live. People who make videos bashing other people are like people who run into a public square and scream into a pillow. They’ll get attention, but they won’t change anything. If you strive to be like them, then you’ll spend your life screaming into a pillow as well, and your life won’t mean anything.

The best emails I get are from people who have chosen to pursue game development because of the games that I’ve made, or people who have decided to do computer science, or learn programming. Who will be the next game designer? Who will make the next game for Markiplier to play? Make sure that it’s you! People who hate success will never be successful. Focus on your success, and your story. People always ask me what college I recommend, or what programs I recommend. My answer is to just go forward, practice. Just GET to college, study hard, be awesome at what you do. Make sure that you are next year’s big success story. Don’t fall into the pit of people who have given up on making something of themselves, and make sure you make EVERYTHING out of yourself.

I’m getting too old for this. And when I retire someday, I’m going to want to sit down at a computer and play YOUR games, read YOUR stories, and watch YOUR videos. Don’t fall in with the people who have already given up on themselves. You are tomorrow’s next big thing. :)
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to
Jul 31, 2015, 17:26
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 31, 2015, 17:26
Jul 31, 2015, 17:26

InBlack wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 04:31:
DavidM wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 17:58:
Such utter stupidity on display.

I don't see Christians putting up billboards saying how stupid atheists are. And for killing, the atheist communists/fascists/leftists in history have 100 million dead on their hands in the 20th century alone.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

It's you who have no idea what you are talking about, you just took the Nazis and the Stalinists and put them all under the "atheist" umbrella and then you wonder why people think you are stupid. None of those you listed killed in the name of "Atheism". They killed in the name of some other ideology, since atheism IS NOT an ideology. If you don't know the difference then you can't be part of the discussion .

^ This.

Believers or the moral Knights among us are often confused what an atheist really is. This is because... well, of course because they're ignorant as fuck, but also because the term "atheist" shouldn't really even exist in an ideal world. Why not? Just ask yourself the question why the term a-leprechaunist or a-astrologist or a-unicornist doesn't exist.

As for the agnostics, personally I think it's the pussy-stance that's only just an insult on your intelligence. You're basically saying that the probability of there being a god or not is a 50/50 thing. You may as well be agnostic about invisible unicorns on mars or that invisible hamster on your shoulder, telling you to do bad shit.

A person is only guilty of a crime until it is proven. In this same way, any god should be "innocent until proven guilty" too. No proof? No god. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and the believers still have all their work ahead of them. But oh, yet they believe the craziest of shite and act on it too. And to critize it like we are doing now, is actually still a taboo.

For the believers in here who are right now drooling due to incomprehension, let me give you a hand: I believe that Hitler is still alive and is amassing his army in the core of our planet. On the day of Ascension, he will ascend from the ground with his nazi army mounted on dinosaurs and only the people who ripped their nose off and bolted it on their forehead he will take with him to the moon after he has fucked everyone else up.

How did that sound to you? Insane? Even crazier for someone to believe this shit? Good. Now you know what I think of religion as a whole. Oh, and I respect you, just not your poisonous religion.
Currently playing: Gas Station Simulator, Vermintide 2, Horizon Zero Dawn

Jul 31, 2015, 04:31
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 31, 2015, 04:31
Jul 31, 2015, 04:31

DavidM wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 17:58:

I don't see Christians putting up billboards saying how stupid atheists are. And for killing, the atheist communists/fascists/leftists in history have 100 million dead on their hands in the 20th century alone.

It's you who have no idea what you are talking about, you just took the Nazis and the Stalinists and put them all under the "atheist" umbrella and then you wonder why people think you are stupid. None of those you listed killed in the name of "Atheism". They killed in the name of some other ideology, since atheism IS NOT an ideology. If you don't know the difference then you can't be part of the discussion .
I have a nifty blue line!

Jul 31, 2015, 04:29
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 31, 2015, 04:29
Jul 31, 2015, 04:29

Xoxotl wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 23:36:
InBlack wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 06:03:
Go take your apologist bullshit somewhere else, there is no such thing as a militant atheist crusader fighting to eradicate all religion.

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:40:
Religion is a mental disease of the stupid and insane. If you really believe there's some all-powerful invisible sky wizard who interferes in all aspects of everyone's lives then you should be committed to an asylum for shock treatment and deprogramming.

And I'll just point out that you two felt the need to attack this dev simply because he made a very minor statement in reference to his personal beliefs. So, yeah.

Your brand of "atheism" is just another form of religion, and it's just as bad as the other fundamentalists you so despise.

I did not attack this dev, I attacked Yeahyeah's retarded trolling comment. Reading comprehension.

Jul 30, 2015, 23:36
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 23:36
Jul 30, 2015, 23:36

InBlack wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 06:03:
Go take your apologist bullshit somewhere else, there is no such thing as a militant atheist crusader fighting to eradicate all religion.

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:40:
Religion is a mental disease of the stupid and insane. If you really believe there's some all-powerful invisible sky wizard who interferes in all aspects of everyone's lives then you should be committed to an asylum for shock treatment and deprogramming.

And I'll just point out that you two felt the need to attack this dev simply because he made a very minor statement in reference to his personal beliefs. So, yeah.

Your brand of "atheism" is just another form of religion, and it's just as bad as the other fundamentalists you so despise.
Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

Jul 30, 2015, 17:58
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 17:58
Jul 30, 2015, 17:58

And that "Trekkian paradise" is such foolhardy idiocy I don't know where to start. No money? Gee, I guess the political elites tell us what to build and which products to buy.

It sounds like an adult version of kindergarten. Except when implemented with Real people it ends up with GULAGS and secret police.

And for all the vitriol against Christianity: you either believe Christ is who he said he was or you don't. You don't have a line on "reality" , you just believe different people than I do.

I will end with pointing out the *thousands* of inventions made by the religious people you sneer at.

Jul 30, 2015, 09:45
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 09:45
Jul 30, 2015, 09:45

Timmeh wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:28:
pnag wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 06:45:
My problem with it is, God didn't make him successful, his hard work did - no invisible force did that for him.

1. You don't know that, its just current meme of the day

2. my experience is that success is a combination of you and weird shit happening for you.

call it god call it grandmas ghost call it the fey I don't care. My experience tells me something is going on in Kansas.

might as well be thankful for it.

No actually we do know that. Because if he hadn't done the work the game wouldn't exist. Or maybe the invisible sky wizard would have just magically conjured it into existence for him, right? Shit, why go to all that trouble and not just have a magic treasure chest of money appear in front of him instead?

Jul 30, 2015, 09:40
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 09:40
Jul 30, 2015, 09:40

Xoxotl wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 05:50:
Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 22:33:
Because we're sick and tired of the stupidity of religious kooks. We're fed up that we can't have nice things because of them. If it weren't for religious assholes we'd already be livig in a Trekian paradise by now.

Trekian Paradise? The only thing holding back humanity from utopia is religion?

Riiiight.

I consider myself agnostic, but Yeahyeah has a point. Somebody mentions God in a partially positive context and militant atheists freak the fuck out. It's almost Pavlovian in your response.

That's right. From Galileo on down science has always been, and still is, hobbled to serve the whims of the religious kooks. It's never a problem so long as its used to make weapons to kill other religious kooks who's belief system is obviously wrong because they believe something different, but try and do some stem cell research to cure the myriad health problems of man and it's a crime against humanity. It's the same in every single aspect of life. Religious assholes FORCING their superstitious bullshit and nonsense on the rest of us.

Religion is a mental disease of the stupid and insane. If you really believe there's some all-powerful invisible sky wizard who interferes in all aspects of everyone's lives then you should be committed to an asylum for shock treatment and deprogramming. Ironically, if mankind survives these dark ages of superstitious ignorance it'll be a miracle.

Jul 30, 2015, 09:34
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 09:34
Jul 30, 2015, 09:34

Those games don't interest me, but a co-worker said their kids love them. Popular as 'let's plays' as well.

As far as the religious nature of the guy. Spoiler alert, I used to be "on the path" (very religious) in a Christian denomination. I am no longer - I only consider myself non-religious. I can understand why he 'thinks' someone reached down and gave him +10 Luck to his Life Stats.

Jul 30, 2015, 09:28
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 09:28
Jul 30, 2015, 09:28

pnag wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 06:45:
My problem with it is, God didn't make him successful, his hard work did - no invisible force did that for him.

1. You don't know that, its just current meme of the day

2. my experience is that success is a combination of you and weird shit happening for you.

call it god call it grandmas ghost call it the fey I don't care. My experience tells me something is going on in Kansas.

might as well be thankful for it.

Jul 30, 2015, 09:17
Watter

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 09:17
Jul 30, 2015, 09:17
 Watter

Saboth wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:01:
If people keep buying them, keep making them. Hell, I'd pump them out as fast as possible myself. It's a niche genre, and niche game. People are bound to get tired of it, no matter if you put out 4 or a year or 4 a decade. If it's selling like hotcakes, work 80 hour weeks and keep raking in that dough, because success can be fleeting. It's not like these games are going to become some kind of classic legacy that he can trample on by cheapening them up like Dragon Age or something. They are as cheapened as they can get. Fast little jump scare games that people finish and tire of pretty quickly. As for the haters, just let 'em keep on hating. Most of them are probably still working at Dollar Tree themselves then spend the other 16 hours a day trolling Youtube and forums.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing he should have done, though, was not respond to the haters. His response itself somewhat lowered his position in the fray.

Jul 30, 2015, 06:45
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 06:45
Jul 30, 2015, 06:45

Jul 30, 2015, 06:03
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 06:03
Jul 30, 2015, 06:03

Xoxotl wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 05:50:
Because we're sick and tired of the stupidity of religious kooks. We're fed up that we can't have nice things because of them. If it weren't for religious assholes we'd already be livig in a Trekian paradise by now.

Riiiight.

I consider myself agnostic, but Yeahyeah has a point. Somebody mentions God in a partially positive context and militant atheists freak the fuck out. It's almost Pavlovian in your response.

Militant atheists? How many militant atheists do you know? How many have you heard of that are you know...militant? As in they bear arms and crusade and kill for their cause. Now how many militant religious orders exist at this moment? How many have existed throughout human history? How many have killed, maimed, raped and pillaged in the name of one God or another? How many are killing right now in the name of Allah and Jihad?

Go take your apologist bullshit somewhere else, there is no such thing as a militant atheist crusader fighting to eradicate all religion. An absence of belief is not a belief in itself and Yeahyeah's obviously trolling post makes no sense either way. Since the Exorcist has nothing to do with Atheism or atheists anyway.

Jul 30, 2015, 05:50
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 05:50
Jul 30, 2015, 05:50

Riiiight.

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

Jul 30, 2015, 05:17
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 05:17
Jul 30, 2015, 05:17

There is imo nothing wrong with milking a successful game idea to death and from this it sounds like the dude deserved some success...

I don't get people hating successful games. Nobody forces you to buy this or play it, but some people may find fun in playing this, and that alone is the reason of existence for these games. If even 1 person loved playing FnaF4 then that is good enough. And if you make some money from it.. all the better.

Jul 30, 2015, 03:42
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 30, 2015, 03:42
Jul 30, 2015, 03:42

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 22:04:
Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:03:
God has blessed him? So what? Did he curse him before? Is that how that works? Fucking religious kooks I swear.

Atheists freak out against invocations of God so much it practically lends credence to movies like The Exorcist. 'The Power of Christ Compels You!' could easily send some atheists screaming bloody murder and spitting pea soup.

Go look up the definition of the word atheist in a dictionary. It will help you not make a complete fool of yourself in the forums the next time you use it. Who knows, if you keep it up, maybe you might even grow a brain at some point in the future.

Jul 29, 2015, 22:33
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 22:33
Jul 29, 2015, 22:33

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 22:04:
God has blessed him? So what? Did he curse him before? Is that how that works? Fucking religious kooks I swear.

Atheists freak out against invocations of God so much it practically lends credence to movies like The Exorcist. 'The Power of Christ Compels You!' could easily send some atheists screaming bloody murder and spitting pea soup.

Jul 29, 2015, 22:04
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 22:04
Jul 29, 2015, 22:04

As for the FNAF Guy, good for him. I'm glad he found success. Only bad part of his advice is, why in the world is he recommending college? It played little role here.

Jul 29, 2015, 21:16
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 21:16
Jul 29, 2015, 21:16

I played the first FNaF, and was not overly impressed with the game itself, however it was a bit impressive that it was a one man operation back then.

Getting angry for this guy releasing games too quickly to whatever arbitrary measurement somebody has seems ridiculous. If people get sick of them they'll stop buying them, like I did.

Jul 29, 2015, 21:06
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 21:06
Jul 29, 2015, 21:06

Squirmer wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:37:
The big publishers are charging $60 per game, upwards of $100 for collector's editions, an extra $30 for "season passes" for content that doesn't exist yet, still more for Day 1 DLC so they can charge more than $60 for the complete game, nickel and diming people for cosmetic shit that nobody needs -- and people are attacking a lonesome indie developer for making games that people are enjoying? Get some perspective for fuck's sake.

No shit.

Jul 29, 2015, 21:05
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 21:05
Jul 29, 2015, 21:05

That is one thing I haven't got caught up on, releases in a year. FWIW there is plenty of games releasing tid-bits known as episodes many times a year. To me a game stands on it's own. Do you like it? Was it worth the $$$? That is all that they buyer has to concern themselves with and the watchers whatever they say means nothing. I never had a problem with madden yearly, new rosters is a big deal and for some that is about all they play so $60 a year for 100's of hours, deal. But people will trash it. Dude had a good simple idea, and he made variations for fans at a reasonable price, good for him and the fans that love it.
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older