22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jul 30, 2015, 16:13
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 16:13
Jul 30, 2015, 16:13

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:52:
jimnms wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 08:54:
That sucks if I have to install twice to get a clean install. Even worse, when I get around to building a new system, I'll have to install Win7, upgrade to Win10 then re-install Win10. SIW discontinued the free version and the last free version doesn't work on Win8/10, so unless there is another way to get the license key, I have to keep backups of install media for each system.

Dude? Research?

1) Unless you have an ancient system, the upgrade only takes a few minutes. The same goes for the (unnecessary) "clean" install. This is not Windows 98. Do some research. It takes only a few minutes to install Win 10 from scratch.

2) It has been known for MONTHS now and posted all over relevant threads/sites that you absolutely do NOT have to go through the ordeal of a Win 7/Win 8 reinstall. You just install Win 10 with a generic key and if the activation gives you crap about a changed hardware ID you call MS and have them reset your stuff (or follow their instructions to actually go legit and BUY a new Win 10 license... whatever they will tell you... at the very latest after July 29, 2016 they will probably tell you to fuck off and buy Win 10).

You need to let go off the thought of having a unique key with Win 10. You don't. You just need any old generic key for the install. The only thing that counts is the activation which creates a unique hardware ID on Microsoft's activation backend and binds it to your Win 10 install.
Also, once you convert your Win 7/8.x license to a Win 10 license, you might be able to reinstall Win 7/8.x with your original key BUT you won't be able to activate it so you will have to get in touch with MS in any case. Might as well skip the reinstall and install 10 with a generic key, then call them and explain why you require a reset.

Dude? Read?

I did some research and what you're saying is not what I'm reading on MS's site. I don't care what people say about how long the upgrade takes and the full install, when you have to do it on several devices it adds up. I'm already expecting calls from friends, family and their friends and family when their systems get bricked during the upgrade because of the tons of shitware they have on it breaks the upgrade.

I also never said anything about having to re-install Win7 to install Win10. I'm talking about the new system I've been putting off building, which I already have an unused Win7 license for that I bought years ago when they offered it at a discount. If it's a new system, I can't just install Win10 and expect to get a free upgrade. I'm sure MS will laugh at me if I do that and call them trying to get it activated.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety

Jul 30, 2015, 09:52
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 09:52
Jul 30, 2015, 09:52

jimnms wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 08:54:
That sucks if I have to install twice to get a clean install. Even worse, when I get around to building a new system, I'll have to install Win7, upgrade to Win10 then re-install Win10. SIW discontinued the free version and the last free version doesn't work on Win8/10, so unless there is another way to get the license key, I have to keep backups of install media for each system.

Dude? Research?

1) Unless you have an ancient system, the upgrade only takes a few minutes. The same goes for the (unnecessary) "clean" install. This is not Windows 98. Do some research. It takes only a few minutes to install Win 10 from scratch.

2) It has been known for MONTHS now and posted all over relevant threads/sites that you absolutely do NOT have to go through the ordeal of a Win 7/Win 8 reinstall. You just install Win 10 with a generic key and if the activation gives you crap about a changed hardware ID you call MS and have them reset your stuff (or follow their instructions to actually go legit and BUY a new Win 10 license... whatever they will tell you... at the very latest after July 29, 2016 they will probably tell you to fuck off and buy Win 10).

You need to let go off the thought of having a unique key with Win 10. You don't. You just need any old generic key for the install. The only thing that counts is the activation which creates a unique hardware ID on Microsoft's activation backend and binds it to your Win 10 install.
Also, once you convert your Win 7/8.x license to a Win 10 license, you might be able to reinstall Win 7/8.x with your original key BUT you won't be able to activate it so you will have to get in touch with MS in any case. Might as well skip the reinstall and install 10 with a generic key, then call them and explain why you require a reset.

Jul 30, 2015, 09:08
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 09:08
Jul 30, 2015, 09:08

For entertainment purposes, I imaged my C: of my home computer (safety first!) and did an inplace upgrade yesterday.

Flawless.

The only program that I have had to reinstall so far for some reason... Office2013. Didn't have to download a single driver or update either. Every game I had installed on the machine ran without a hitch.... and with less hitches (easily picked up 5-10fps in GTA5 but more investigation is required). My mysterious rhythmic stutter in GTA5 is gone though, so that's awesome.

I had originally planned to follow through with a clean install regardless of the results here... but I'm really not seeing a reason to right now.

Jul 30, 2015, 08:54
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 08:54
Jul 30, 2015, 08:54

Drayth wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:48:

"Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. "

If you're using the ISO I've read that running the setup from within your current OS takes care of the needing a Win 10 key during install (wouldn't mind someone confirming that).

After you get Win 10 installed you make a recovery edition to a USB or DVD that has your product key embedded in it and you can do a clean install from there and still not have to enter a key (so using any method you have to do an express install the first time).

You can get your Win 10 key once it's loaded using SIW and just use the key if you ever change enough hardware that it asks for it during install.

Also if you use a Win 7 / 8.1 home edition to run the Win 10 installer you get the home edition. Use a pro edition and you get Win 10 pro. Got that info from an official MS page somewhere.

"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety

Jul 29, 2015, 20:48
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 20:48
Jul 29, 2015, 20:48

jimnms wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 19:18:
So what happens when you upgrade too much hardware in your PC and it no longer recognizes it as the original PC that you upgraded from?

"Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. "

If you're using the ISO I've read that running the setup from within your current OS takes care of the needing a Win 10 key during install (wouldn't mind someone confirming that).

After you get Win 10 installed you make a recovery edition to a USB or DVD that has your product key embedded in it and you can do a clean install from there and still not have to enter a key (so using any method you have to do an express install the first time).

You can get your Win 10 key once it's loaded using SIW and just use the key if you ever change enough hardware that it asks for it during install.

Also if you use a Win 7 / 8.1 home edition to run the Win 10 installer you get the home edition. Use a pro edition and you get Win 10 pro. Got that info from an official MS page somewhere.

Jul 29, 2015, 20:43
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 20:43
Jul 29, 2015, 20:43

Bradley wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:23:
The whole "flat" Windows 10 theme is really bugging me. When you have multiple windows open and overlapping it can be really hard to tell where one window starts and the others begin. That makes resizing or dragging windows by the title bar tricky. I wish there was some way to add more separation between them.

I've also got an issue with the way some of the control panels are opening. There is plenty of screen space, but some of them don't open wide enough to display all the content, leaving a horizontal scroll bar.

I hated the flat look in 8 as well, and it turns out someone hated it enough that they ported the Aero look-n-feel to it. Go to http://www.glass8.eu/ , make a small donation, and never worry about what dialog box or window has focus ever again! They don't have an official windows 10 version out yet, but there are debug builds that work, so I imagine it won't be long before they make a public release. I'm waiting for that, 7 Taskbar Tweaker, and Classic Shell to release their updates febore I switch to 10.

The whole Settings app feels like it was built for a phone's touch interface. Huge buttons, lots of useless whitespace.

Jul 29, 2015, 20:02
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 20:02
Jul 29, 2015, 20:02

There really needs to be a flow chart on Windows 10 upgrade paths with 'how to'.

Jul 29, 2015, 19:18
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 19:18
Jul 29, 2015, 19:18

I'm definitely going to wait, but isn't the time to upgrade for free limited? The article links to where you can download ISO files if you don't want to upgrade through Windows Update, but it doesn't mention how you go about getting a Win10 key. Do you just use your Windows 7 key during the install?

I thought I read a few weeks ago that the initial update had to be done through Windows Update, then after that you could perform a clean install.

I have three copies of Win7, two home and one pro. The pro version is on my HTPC, and I'll need to find a replacement for Windows Media Center for recording TV before I upgrade it. One is on my current gaming system and the other is waiting for me to build a system for it.

Edit: I found this after clicking through several links:
If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

So what happens when you upgrade too much hardware in your PC and it no longer recognizes it as the original PC that you upgraded from?

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2015, 19:24.

Jul 29, 2015, 17:14
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 17:14
Jul 29, 2015, 17:14

Crap, I was all set to install my free upgrade to Windows 8.2
but from what I've read, it's buggy and not ready for primetime.
Maybe I should wait for Windows8.3 Windows11.

Jul 29, 2015, 15:58
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 15:58
Jul 29, 2015, 15:58

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 15:37:
Sorry to hear that SlimRam.
Creston wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 15:45:
We will remember you, Slimram! WE'LL NEVER FORGET!!!

Heh, thanks guys!
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Jul 29, 2015, 15:45
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 15:45
Jul 29, 2015, 15:45

We will remember you, Slimram! WE'LL NEVER FORGET!!!

Jul 29, 2015, 15:37
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 15:37
Jul 29, 2015, 15:37

Sorry to hear that SlimRam.

Jul 29, 2015, 14:29
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 14:29
Jul 29, 2015, 14:29

Ah hell, i'm taking the plunge. It says it will let me know when it's ready to fuck my computer totally up install. I'm looking forward to seeing the xbone streaming to my PC. My recent stroke has left my right hand crippled so I can't use a controller anymore, thus I cannot play it . I know that xbone doesn't support mice yet but Phil Spencer said that it probably isn't that far off sooooo *fingers crossed* when that does happen maybe I can use my Logitech G13 through my PC and play Halo: The Master Chief Collection in co-op with the old lady again

Welp, I guess I better get ready for the Windows 10 install:

*Stands up and puts on my crash helmet, drops my pants and bends over* "God help me...i'm ready for you Billy!!!"

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2015, 15:11.
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Jul 29, 2015, 14:28
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 14:28
Jul 29, 2015, 14:28

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:05:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 09:53:
I guess I'll upgrade to 10 and see what happens.

I was going to wait but meh. I can fix whatever breaks.

I'm not telling regular users to update until later though.

Wow you really held out!

I'm waiting for all the feedback, there will be plenty.

LOL. Yeah.

Holding out for me this time was not bothering with the beta.

Jul 29, 2015, 14:18
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 14:18
Jul 29, 2015, 14:18

Verno wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:29:
Loving Witcher 3 but man sometimes when it crashes it really crashes. I've had it bomb the whole system on 3 different hardware/OS combinations. It's not consistent, sometimes it just CTDs and other times its a hard lock. It's funny because I had no crashes at all before 1.07 but its a huge patch so I guess there was bound to be a few issues.

I had it crash on me twice in the first five minutes. Went through the whole standard "shit my game is crashing" rigamarole. Played it. Got stuck in a conversation with a peasant in the first inn, where the screen froze on Geralt's face while I could hear the other guy talking, and it CTD'ed after the discussion was over.

Haven't had a crash since in 12 hours. It's really not very consistent. And I probably just jinxed the fucking shit out of myself...

Jul 29, 2015, 14:00
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 14:00
Jul 29, 2015, 14:00

So, early feedback on Win10? Does it follow the Windows pattern of one good Windows release followed by a bad one or does it break it?

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19
Verno

Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 12:19
Jul 29, 2015, 12:19
 Verno

Bradley wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:23:
The whole "flat" Windows 10 theme is really bugging me. When you have multiple windows open and overlapping it can be really hard to tell where one window starts and the others begin. That makes resizing or dragging windows by the title bar tricky. I wish there was some way to add more separation between them.

Agreed, this is a bit annoying to me as well. Also programs jumplist pins aren't updating properly either, sometimes they are there and other times they are just inexplicably gone. They shrunk the taskbar icons from 52 to 32px which is really dumb, leaves an empty border space around them and you almost have to squint at them on a large monitor. DPI scaling is one way to solve it but it enlarges too many other elements.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Jul 29, 2015, 12:13
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 12:13
Jul 29, 2015, 12:13

Been running it for 3 months and have noticed no significant problems. Some things are different, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Jul 29, 2015, 11:23
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 11:23
Jul 29, 2015, 11:23

I've also got an issue with the way some of the control panels are opening. There is plenty of screen space, but some of them don't open wide enough to display all the content, leaving a horizontal scroll bar.

Jul 29, 2015, 11:05
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 11:05
Jul 29, 2015, 11:05

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 09:53:
I guess I'll upgrade to 10 and see what happens.

I was going to wait but meh. I can fix whatever breaks.

I'm not telling regular users to update until later though.

Wow you really held out!

I'm waiting for all the feedback, there will be plenty.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older