Fallout 4 "Basically Done"

Fallout 4 is "basically done," Bethesda's Pete Hines tells GameSpot, saying the game is in the bug fixing and polishing phase to prepare for its release on November 10th. They offer an excerpt from an interview with Hines where he explained that the time to suggest new features for the RPG sequel has passed. "Let's be honest, [right now] it doesn't matter what anybody wants for a feature in Fallout 4," Hines told them. "The game is basically done. It was by and large done before we announced it, in terms of the features going in. You're not adding new features in May, June, July in the year you're releasing; you're trying to get everything fixed." Also, thanks Batman for pointing out the hardcover strategy guide (URL pre-stuffed with our affiliate code) is now available for preorder, offering exclusive bonuses.
View : : :
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Fallout 4
Jul 30, 2015, 05:11
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 30, 2015, 05:11
Jul 30, 2015, 05:11

Retired wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 11:15:
Grab the hardcover book to add to your collection

via Gamerdeals.net

[url=]http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Anthology-PC/dp/B012E58DFC/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_z[/url]

I want that fat boy
- Boppa

Jul 30, 2015, 00:16
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 30, 2015, 00:16
Jul 30, 2015, 00:16

Jerykk wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 00:02:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 08:43:
chickenboo wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 19:51:
I'm fed up with developers sticking to what works and creating entry upon entry within each series. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim; C&C Red Alert 3; Assassin's Creed 5 Unity; Fallout 4; Far Cry 4; Wolfenstein TNO (tho I did love The Old Blood); the list goes on. It's just like the rehashing of films from the 90s and 80s, it's not fresh material, it's just remaking the same thing I've already experienced.

The games which have delighted me the most in the last five years have been Faster Than Light, Alien Isolation, Trine 2 (coop, never played Trine 1), and Team Fortress 2. All have been fresh, exciting experiences for me that had me pining for more time to play them when I was out doing things.

If you think that Alien Isolation, Trine and Team Fortress 2 were fresh experiences, you're pretty out of it. These 3 games are carbon copies, with a different paint job, of a lot of other games.
Alien : Penumbra series, Amnesia, Outlast, etc...
Trine : Lost Vikings, every flash platformer
TF2 : Team Fortress, TFC
FTL is the only original thing in your list.

What? TF2 doesn't play anything like the original TF or TFC. Trine was unique in that it was a physics-driven puzzle platformer with three player co-op. Alien Isolation was unique in that it was a big-budget survival horror game where you actually needed to hide and run away instead of killing stuff.

No game is ever going to be 100% original. However, that doesn't make them "carbon copies" as you put it.

As for innovation, it was a lot easier to innovate in the 80's and 90's because gaming was a brand new medium. Innovation is a lot harder after 20+ years worth of games have been developed.

I dunno, I disagree.

TF2 is a class based objective game. The objectives, classes and maps are pretty much the same than in TF and TFC. They removed hand grenades, I guess that's the big difference. I don't think TF2 can be called original. A refinement with a new coat of pain? Ok. In my opinion it SUCKS compared to TFC though.

Trine is as generic as they come. Generic fantasy, generic physics based platformer. I guess there aren't a lot of them that are coop, but that doesn't make it specifically "unique". The character switching mechanic has been done in a ton of games also.

Have you played Amnesia the dark descent, Penumbra or Outlast? They're exactly Alien Isolation, but with a different coat of paint.

Also, yeah you could maybe innovate easier in the past, but I do think that we could innovate a hell of a lot more nowadays. Don't you see the trend of recycling every concept in order to play it safe for investors? Or adding very slight improvements to iteration X of a game?

Yeah I guess I exaggerated for effect when I said "carbon copies"...

Jul 30, 2015, 00:02
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 30, 2015, 00:02
Jul 30, 2015, 00:02

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 08:43:
I'm fed up with developers sticking to what works and creating entry upon entry within each series. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim; C&C Red Alert 3; Assassin's Creed 5 Unity; Fallout 4; Far Cry 4; Wolfenstein TNO (tho I did love The Old Blood); the list goes on. It's just like the rehashing of films from the 90s and 80s, it's not fresh material, it's just remaking the same thing I've already experienced.

The games which have delighted me the most in the last five years have been Faster Than Light, Alien Isolation, Trine 2 (coop, never played Trine 1), and Team Fortress 2. All have been fresh, exciting experiences for me that had me pining for more time to play them when I was out doing things.

If you think that Alien Isolation, Trine and Team Fortress 2 were fresh experiences, you're pretty out of it. These 3 games are carbon copies, with a different paint job, of a lot of other games.

What? TF2 doesn't play anything like the original TF or TFC. Trine was unique in that it was a physics-driven puzzle platformer with three player co-op. Alien Isolation was unique in that it was a big-budget survival horror game where you actually needed to hide and run away instead of killing stuff.

No game is ever going to be 100% original. However, that doesn't make them "carbon copies" as you put it.

As for innovation, it was a lot easier to innovate in the 80's and 90's because gaming was a brand new medium. Innovation is a lot harder after 20+ years worth of games have been developed.

Jul 29, 2015, 23:56
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 23:56
Jul 29, 2015, 23:56

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 23:47:
I never refuted that gameplay system innovation has pretty much stopped. There's still some things that are better than in the past, but they're mostly cosmetic. Thing is, open world games are the best we can get nowadays, so I support them. At some point console gamers will become more experienced and we'll finally be able to push games evolution again.

Modern open-world games are not any sort of apex of evolutionary design. They're just another genre, no more, no less. And as I said, they usually fail at being "open-world" in any meaningful sense.

Jul 29, 2015, 23:47
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 23:47
Jul 29, 2015, 23:47

shihonage wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 18:42:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 17:27:
I have no idea what you are talking about now... If you don't like specific locations, try Daggerfall. In my top 3 games of all time. The entire world was randomly created. Quests are generated randomly and given to random npcs. It's pretty crazy. A bit buggy though :p

Way to shift the goalposts. There are plenty of games in the past that are more evolved than games in the present. I am talking about present games, and made specific examples of present games, in the context of Fallout 4 discussion.

Daggerfall didn't exactly hold up well enough to be played today. In its own way, it tried to innovate, however. That innovation should've been taken much further over the decades that followed, instead of being forgotten and forsaken in favor of Ass Effects of today.

I never refuted that gameplay system innovation has pretty much stopped. There's still some things that are better than in the past, but they're mostly cosmetic. Thing is, open world games are the best we can get nowadays, so I support them. At some point console gamers will become more experienced and we'll finally be able to push games evolution again.

Jul 29, 2015, 18:42
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 18:42
Jul 29, 2015, 18:42

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 17:27:
I have no idea what you are talking about now... If you don't like specific locations, try Daggerfall. In my top 3 games of all time. The entire world was randomly created. Quests are generated randomly and given to random npcs. It's pretty crazy. A bit buggy though :p

Way to shift the goalposts. There are plenty of games in the past that are more evolved than games in the present. I am talking about present games, and made specific examples of present games, in the context of Fallout 4 discussion.

Daggerfall didn't exactly hold up well enough to be played today. In its own way, it tried to innovate, however. That innovation should've been taken much further over the decades that followed, instead of being forgotten and forsaken in favor of Ass Effects of today.

Jul 29, 2015, 17:27
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 17:27
Jul 29, 2015, 17:27

shihonage wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 17:14:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 08:39:
Well the other game genres are even MORE guilty of that. Open world games are the richest type of games we have at the moment. So, if you're going to give up on open world games, might as well give up on everything.

Not really, they're just as locked as the rest. Changing your location on the map isn't the same as changing the gameworld.

You can go anywhere in GTA or Far Cry or Watchdogs or Assassin's Creed... but it's pointless because eventually you'll have to go to point B, point C, point D on the map, all predefined, and complete the plot-sequences in specific order to see your precious cutscenes and "progress".

The walking simulation aspect is just that. There isn't even any "simulation" asides from being able to kill random people or drive random cars.

Jul 29, 2015, 17:14
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 17:14
Jul 29, 2015, 17:14

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 08:39:
Well the other game genres are even MORE guilty of that. Open world games are the richest type of games we have at the moment. So, if you're going to give up on open world games, might as well give up on everything.

Not really, they're just as locked as the rest. Changing your location on the map isn't the same as changing the gameworld.

You can go anywhere in GTA or Far Cry or Watchdogs or Assassin's Creed... but it's pointless because eventually you'll have to go to point B, point C, point D on the map, all predefined, and complete the plot-sequences in specific order to see your precious cutscenes and "progress".

The walking simulation aspect is just that. There isn't even any "simulation" asides from being able to kill random people or drive random cars.

Jul 29, 2015, 08:43
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 08:43
Jul 29, 2015, 08:43

Jul 29, 2015, 08:39
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 08:39
Jul 29, 2015, 08:39

shihonage wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 17:36:
I have zero interest in the walking simulator genre, whether it's Far Cry, GTA, Batman, or new Fallouts.

There comes a time when you start seeing these games in Matrix-vision, as spheres and cubes traversing above a checkered grid, with mountains of data rising and falling at the horizon.

The magic is gone, everyone is making games from the same limited templates, using the same abstractions. The walls and limitations of every game are absolutely the same.

These are not even true sandbox games, however limited sandbox games are. You can't have a herd of elephants chase you into the hut where an IMPORTANT NPC has a CINEMATIC SPEECH, and send them running in mid-sentence... no... the important cinematic sequence will always be walled-off into a bubble.

Garbage, all.

Jul 29, 2015, 04:36
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 04:36
Jul 29, 2015, 04:36

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 19:43:
I feel that, maybe not that strongly. It is why I hope VR can give us a nice change up. Indies is probably where most innovation is at today.

I don't agree with Walking Simulator.

VR is just a change in rendering and UI. It will call for new gameplay mechanics eventually, but none of significance.

You'll still be playing Skyrim 2: VR Edition and talking to an indestructible NPC who addresses you like some schmuck despite you being ultra-powerful, and 2 out of your 3 dialogue choices will have the same outcome...

You'll be playing Fallout 5, where Liam Neeson will once again play your dad, and once again when your dad asks you to find him some item or someshit, if you say "Not now", the game will simply stop until you actually agree.

The real work is in advancing the reactivity of virtual worlds. And, if a game isn't supposed to be particularly reactive, then the real work is in developing the art and science of writing game worlds and dialogue in a manner which matches a good TV show in quality.

Visuals driving immersion has been a dead end for 9 years now. People keep saying "imagine if stuff looked better than it does now"... well, stuff looked great for a long freaking time already.

It's not about how stuff looks, it's not about stuff looking shiny in 360-degree view angle, it's about meaningful interaction and player involvement.

Innovation, new game genres, wouldn't hurt either. At all. Wouldn't hurt at all, really.

Jul 29, 2015, 03:03
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 03:03
Jul 29, 2015, 03:03

All the usual suspects will be preordering Im sure. Guys Im getting a seriously bad juju vibe from this game. Don't preorder this. Please dont.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jul 28, 2015, 20:00
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 20:00
Jul 28, 2015, 20:00

Right. But that is the difference corporate games vs indies. I'm totally ok with whatever corp games do because we have indy games. That is where the new ideas are coming from and a fair price. Good times.

Jul 28, 2015, 19:51
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 19:51
Jul 28, 2015, 19:51

Jul 28, 2015, 19:43
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 19:43
Jul 28, 2015, 19:43

There comes a time when you start seeing these games in Matrix-vision, as spheres and cubes traversing above a checkered grid, with mountains of data rising and falling at the horizon.

The magic is gone, everyone is making games from the same limited templates, using the same abstractions. The walls and limitations of every game are absolutely the same.

I feel that, maybe not that strongly. It is why I hope VR can give us a nice change up. Indies is probably where most innovation is at today.

I don't agree with Walking Simulator.

Jul 28, 2015, 19:42
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 19:42
Jul 28, 2015, 19:42

DangerDog wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 16:42:
It's not done till modders add a PC mouse friendly interface.

That does seem like a nice place to wait for.

Jul 28, 2015, 19:41
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 19:41
Jul 28, 2015, 19:41

Fion wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 14:34:
I'm replaying Fallout 3 and New Vegas during the gaming 'dry season' that is the mid-summer months.

Dry season? At best that means chipping away at an insurmountable back log. Not that playing F3 and NV are a bad choice, using the mod that puts the two together?

My prediction for F4: Pretty awesome.

Seems like many here want this to be the KNOCK BETHESDA DOWN version. So we can build them back up later. I see more of the same, with some nice additions, which is more of the awesome with new additions.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2015, 19:46.

Jul 28, 2015, 18:13
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 18:13
Jul 28, 2015, 18:13

shihonage wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 17:52:
I'm not fed up with games. I am fed up with stagnation.

I agree with you

It's not just that genres stagnate, you can even say that very few games even try to mix already established genres to create something uniquely interesting and maybe fun.

Very few games create something truly unique in terms of gameplay nowadays. and it is not a restriction of technology (least not on the PC, and even less once VR comes). It is a restriction of money mostly, and of the developers that don't think outside the box of already established genres. Even Kickstarter doesn't help, because popularity and nostalgia beats unique and fresh ideas into submission and obscurity.

But unlike you I haven't given up on gaming. I still find fun and enjoyment in many games As long as they aren't 2d platformers, beat em ups or text adventures.

Jul 28, 2015, 17:52
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 17:52
Jul 28, 2015, 17:52

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 17:47:
At that point it's time to go outside.

Or is that considered another "walking simulator"?

No, actually I walk outside a lot, and practically don't play games anymore because they're just all dry-runnable and have no engaging writing to compensate for same old gameplay.

I just remember it so vividly, the beginning - where games were struggling with the hardware, ingenuity was afoot, new genres were being invented...

Then we just... ran out of genres? That's really stupid, in such an amazing, infinitely potent medium.

I'm not fed up with games. I am fed up with stagnation.

Jul 28, 2015, 17:47
Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 17:47
Jul 28, 2015, 17:47

At that point it's time to go outside.

Or is that considered another "walking simulator"?
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older