Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:55 NegaDeath

Are ad blockers legal? Is that a serious question? Might as well wonder if sun guards in vehicles are legal since they can prevent you from seeing billboards.

Sites that don't use a million privacy violating trackers and respect your time I'll leave the blocker off (like Blues). Sites that don't respect you get blocked. Sites that break when I block them don't get visited. That simple.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:52 wtf_man

I absolutely despise unwanted marketing research on me without my consent. They all ignore "Do not Track", too.

How is that legal?

Adblock Plus + No Script + Ranom Agent Spoofer (Which not only changes user agent per page, but spoofs a random ip address in the headers), and Ghostery.

Not fullproof, but markerters can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned, so I will make it as difficult as possible for them to "spy" on me. I also don't use any google services nor social networking sites. So basically, I should be way below the radar compared to the average internet users, as far as datamined marketing is concerned.

The only folks that have info on my habbits are Amazon and Netflix... which I don't mind, since I use Amazon a lot, and targeted ads would apply when I'm on their site.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:33 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:59:
Do sites get money just from displaying ads or do you have to click on them? I will consider turning adblock off for Blue's, but if he make nothing unless I click, then there is no reason to have it off, I won't click.

I believe you get paid per so many thousand ad displays. The higher your click-through the more the pay though I think if memory serves.

And yeah, some kind of ad-blocker is necessary now. Compare my browsing experience on my PC to my phone and I seriously am reluctant to use my phone to browse. Full page adds taking over your browser, the inability to scroll if you flick an ad compared to the real page, the page itself constantly resizing and popping all around so you think you're clicking a legitimate link and then 2 seconds later the page resizes due to an ad and you end up hitting the ad that sandwiched the legitimate link.

The one that makes me rage is the ad that takes you to the app store without clicking on it to install some BS program. Usually that game of war bullshit game. I'm sure it'd auto-install if they could figure a way to.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:02 Verno

I actually like it better then APB. I noticed that on some sites i was starting to get ads with APB, which you can reblock but was annoying. On further investigation i found that they sometimes let slip some ads for revenue from certain websites

To be fair to Adblock Plus, I think you can disable this in the options. Uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" if I remember correctly. If they are doing something else in addition to that then that's pretty shitty of them. I agree though, I prefer uBlock to Adblock Plus, the latter is a pig on memory.

Do sites get money just from displaying ads or do you have to click on them? I will consider turning adblock off for Blue's, but if he make nothing unless I click, then there is no reason to have it off, I won't click.

Both, it depends on the network and the kind of campaigns they run. Some are CPM which is essentially impressions, some are CPC which is per click and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Then you've got Google Adsense and other programs like that, Adsense is one of the biggest money makers for websites.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:00 LiTh

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:30:
Darks wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:02:
Verno? what happened to your Avatar?

Also, how good is uBlock compared to how good APB is? I like APB and know it works very well. Just want to be sure uBlock is as good before I jump over.

Try it for a week and see. It's just an add-on so it's not hard to install / uninstall.

I've been using Ublock Origin for about a week now and it seems pretty good. I'm not seeing any ads and the pages I go to are not broken. It works on mobile Firefox too.

I've been using uBlock Origin on Chrome for i'd say last few months. I actually like it better then APB. I noticed that on some sites i was starting to get ads with APB, which you can reblock but was annoying. On further investigation i found that they sometimes let slip some ads for revenue from certain websites. Another reason i switched to uBlock Origin is because of the memory footprint and resources it uses seems much less (although that wasnt a problem to begin with for me). If you want to try uBlock Origin, make sure you do indeed get the 'Origin' version as its the one thats still kept up to date and has the original dev's, whereas uBlock splintered and doesnt really have the support as uBlock Origin.

And to echo others, Bluesnews is one of the very few sites that I abide by the ads (although i cant say i like or trust them either), but for Bluesnews to stay up and running its worth it.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:59 HorrorScope

I also checked IGN's main site, main page and that wasn't bad. I did want to try it since they talk about how other sites ruin it for sites that don't go too far. See if they were hypocrites, I only did the main page, wasn't bad. I never go there though, so back on just in case.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:38 Darks

Blues is probably siting here tapping his fingers on his desk because he may have some popups that are helping him generate cash. Sorry Blues, not intended to screw you over if that's the case. but as the other guys are saying we have gotten to a point where its just gotten out of hand with all the pops and spam that is causing to many issues.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:37 Phasenoise

If ads were like print ads, nobody would care. But when they run active content, animations flashing spinning leaping they slow things down, are distracting and compromise security. So OF COURSE people look to remove them. It's a natural response to an irritation or threat.

Advertisers shot themselves in the ass, and good luck getting the genie back in the bottle.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:34 Darks

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:30:

Also, how good is uBlock compared to how good APB is? I like APB and know it works very well. Just want to be sure uBlock is as good before I jump over.

Try it for a week and see. It's just an add-on so it's not hard to install / uninstall.

I've been using Ublock Origin for about a week now and it seems pretty good. I'm not seeing any ads and the pages I go to are not broken. It works on mobile Firefox too.

Installed and using now, had to tweak it a bit because it was blocking some things to hard on one of the sites I use. but its seems pretty good.

Thanks for the tip guys,

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:30 Silicon Avatar

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:27 Duke Christopheles

It's simple in my mind - sites like Blue's, Indie Retro News, RPS, etc I do not block... ads are not intrusive. Gawker sites though? Throwing up some massive ad first thing arriving there, blocked.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:25 Silicon Avatar

Ads are a vector for malware and they degrade privacy. Advertisement networks let things escalate to that point and now they are forever blocked on every PC I touch.

I have no idea what games journalism sites can do for revenue. The thing is that I don't care. They were complicit in allowing ad networks to turn into privacy eroding malware distribution nodes. As journalism sites they had every power available to them to call out ad networks for their crappy practices and clean that entire industry up, but they were too busy sucking the teat to care.

User privacy eroded. Tracking cookies nobody asked for popped up everywhere. Malware sprang up everywhere. Now users are sick of it.

Too bad, so sad!

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:02 Darks

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2015, 10:12.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 09:47 Verno

I agree with Darks, an ad blocker is a necessity these days. I use uBlock personally, I find ABP pretty high on memory use. Ads are now the highest vector for malware installations, users are more conditioned about email than they used to be and you can see the shift in the malware world.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 09:40 InBlack

Are ad-blockers legal? Holy shit....

Is datamaning your browsing history, facebook page, etc. and selling that information to the highest bidder for direct in your face advertising illegal??

Man I hate sensationalist headlines...

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 09:38 Darks

Games journalist and kiss it. APB is a necessity when browsing. POPs are one of the leading spam and malware culprits that infect many pcs. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these ass-hats who are whining about adblocking.  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >