Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 17:52 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 17:36:
I hope you ABP users are white-listing Blues. He works 10-12 hours daily on this website, and needs to eat and pay hosting fees. He aggressively monitors the ads for popovers and hijacks insisting on non-intrusive ads only for this site.

As an aside, for all you ABP users out there, are you willing to fork out an annual subscription fee to all the various websites your visit? The internet costs hundreds of billions of dollars to operate, and much of that comes from advertising revenue. Thousands and thousands of websites would go out of business, including Blues, if everyone used ABP. Even major sites like Youtube would go dark without ad revenue. We'd be left with Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and the like, sites that fund their websites via non-ad revenue.

It's understandable if you're on a bandwidth cap, or blacklisting a few sites (there are a few sites out there I read with ABP because they'll crash my browser if I don't). But understand that by using ABP you're creating an internet with more and more intrusive ads, not fewer.

I understand ads suck, but what's the alternative?

Ad Blockers

There is nothing new here other than reaffirming what we know. I'm pretty serious about the problem starts on their end, they cannot have ads that causes pc issues or real user headaches. Sites add these ad providers to their site and they don't understand what all is going on, that isn't the user problem.

That has to be handled first then come back to us. It starts there. That is who made who.

I haven't confirmed, but just here from an earlier report, simple old fashioned Blue's we get this if I understood the post correctly:

Acuity Ads
Advertising.com
AppNexus
BidSwitch
Casale Media
Chango
Dotomi
Doubleclick
Facebook Connect
Google Analytics
Google+ Platform
Media Optimizer (Adobe)
Media Math
MyThings
Optimax Media Delivery
Pubmatic
Quantcast
Rocket Fuel
Switch Concepts
Trade Desk

Every one of those items are tracking you. Granted... most of this appears to be coming through quantserve and switchadhub, but that's 20-ish trackers just on this site.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2015, 18:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 17:36 jdreyer

I hope you ABP users are white-listing Blues. He works 10-12 hours daily on this website, and needs to eat and pay hosting fees. He aggressively monitors the ads for popovers and hijacks insisting on non-intrusive ads only for this site.

As an aside, for all you ABP users out there, are you willing to fork out an annual subscription fee to all the various websites your visit? The internet costs hundreds of billions of dollars to operate, and much of that comes from advertising revenue. Thousands and thousands of websites would go out of business, including Blues, if everyone used ABP. Even major sites like Youtube would go dark without ad revenue. We'd be left with Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and the like, sites that fund their websites via non-ad revenue.

It's understandable if you're on a bandwidth cap, or blacklisting a few sites (there are a few sites out there I read with ABP because they'll crash my browser if I don't). But understand that by using ABP you're creating an internet with more and more intrusive ads, not fewer.

I understand ads suck, but what's the alternative?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 16:18 Darks

Ill give you another good reason why you need and should have an adblocker on your pc while browsing.

Krypto Virus. that is a nasty virus that you do not want on your pc. it will go out an attack all your personal data and any shares you have on your network and do the same.

Good luck recovering any files if you don't have a good back up. and yes, just a random pop up can contain this nasty ass virus encryption.

This also goes in line with making sure you have a good Antivirus program installed.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

33. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 16:00 Cutter

Go to an effing paywall in that case and see how that works out for you. Or do like Ars and have ad and ad-free options. Many here have been asking Blue to do that for several years now. Otherwise, as with all the bullshit around tracking, flash, malware, etc. as everyone has already mentioned those sites, and their scumbag advertisers in particular only have themselves to blame.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

32. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 15:53 HorrorScope

So what I've read is that IGN needs to get a memo on why we use blockers (so many good reasons) and then go back to their advertisers apps to tell them they have bad ads on several levels and it needs to be fixed first.

Once that is done expect the need for a 5 year campaign by a consortium to tell us they are sorry, they've heard us, they've corrected it so there isn't any harm in it. That it is a simple add off to the side that is totally safe and all that all it does is have a link to the product with no other BS.

Then that followed up with independent testing and agreeing.

Then we as a community can start to abide by the request.

They are pointing here at us, while it is way too easy to prove the issue needs to be addressed in the other direction first. This truly is the ad's issue, not the users. They've crossed the business morals line, we just reacted to it.

31. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 15:32 LiTh

I've just read about too many infections coming from Ads, even on reputable sites and through seemingly reputable advertisers that slip through the crack. I remember a SQL injection attack that was on hardforum.com for a few days before they disabled ads and got it under control.  

30. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 14:07 InBlack

Darks wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 12:50:
InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 12:33:
I don't have any kind of ad-blocker installed. Mostly cos I'm too lazy to bother with it, but I also rarely visit sites that have too many or intrusive ads. Blue's is one of them.

All I can say to you InBlack is not having an add blocker on your pc is like not wearing a condom when your at a whore house. your taking a big chance not using one.

Its actually very simple to install. You just goggle it and say install from chromes app store and its done.

Well that's an interesting analogy...What can I say, at least Im a paying customer

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 13:59 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 11:55:
Are ad blockers legal? Is that a serious question? Might as well wonder if sun guards in vehicles are legal since they can prevent you from seeing billboards.

Marketoid dildo: "HOLY SHIT!" *grabs phone and calls legal*

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 13:55 Creston

It's a good thing there is no such thing as online games 'journalism' then. There's online games 'pandering', and online games 'opinion pieces which are blatantly bought and paid for.'

So I won't really miss the online games 'look at what we copy/pasted from the press release statement' websites all that much. If I'm really that desperate to learn about how AAA Game 5.0 does So Many Awesome Things With Teh Graphiks, I can just go read the press release on the publisher's site.

Stop serving up bullshit irritating ads and hiding behind the convenient "We didn't know {adnetwork A} was serving these up! It's not our fault!" excuses.

tl;dr : Cry me a fucking river.

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 13:50 ldonyo

"Games journalism" is the biggest threat to games journalism, internal or external. There isn't any journalism involved in receiving a press release and posting it online. Publishers might as well own the 99% of outlets that make their living regurgitating press releases and fawning over the umpteenth release of a sports game that hasn't changed anything but uniforms and stadiums in over a decade, because they certainly all-but-own the entire review process.

The three or four sites that do nothing but complain about the state of "games journalism" aren't doing anyone any favors, either. Writing "articles" that are all whine and no solution are just tantrums in text, very similar to what a four-year-old will give you if they can't have something they see in a store. There are a few nuggets of truth in these rants, just as there are a few bits of real chicken in McNuggets, but finding them is far more work than the reward is worth.

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 13:18 HorrorScope

I don't have any kind of ad-blocker installed. Mostly cos I'm too lazy to bother with it, but I also rarely visit sites that have too many or intrusive ads. Blue's is one of them.

I will say... that is lazy. The payoff overall is huge and is made up for most in well less than a single day.

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:55 Drazula

I don't run an adblocker. I set Chrome to let me choose when to run plugin content. This essentially kills Flash advertisements. Also, it stops sites that autoplay their flash videos. That annoys the heck out of me. Pages load very fast now.  

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:55 NegaDeath

wtf_man wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 12:35:
Every one of those items are tracking you. Granted... most of this appears to be coming through quantserve and switchadhub, but that's 20-ish trackers just on this site.

... and this one is mild compared to most.

Oh absolutely, I was referring to some of the sites I've seen that have 60+ running (according to ghostery).

23. 'Ad-blocking is the biggest external threat to online games journalism' and Are ad-blockers legal? Jul 23, 2015, 12:54 Simon Says

My main beef with ads is the bandwidth it sucks like a vampire, especially the auto loading video ads -_-. I pay 100$ for 20 gigs per month, if they don't want me to use an ad/flash blocker. Then make all ads NOT COUNT toward monthly bandwidth usage. Otherwise they can go to hell and I'll keep blocking.  

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:50 Darks

All I can say to you InBlack is not having an add blocker on your pc is like not wearing a condom when your at a whore house. your taking a big chance not using one.

Its actually very simple to install. You just goggle it and say install from chromes app store and its done.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:45 Luke

They should ask them self are spam legal "cry me a river"  

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:35 wtf_man

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 11:55:
Sites that don't use a million privacy violating trackers and respect your time I'll leave the blocker off (like Blues). Sites that don't respect you get blocked. Sites that break when I block them don't get visited. That simple.

Turning everything off... including the web filter in my firewall (which also blocks ads)...

Acuity Ads
Advertising.com
AppNexus
BidSwitch
Casale Media
Chango
Dotomi
Doubleclick
Facebook Connect
Google Analytics
Google+ Platform
Media Optimizer (Adobe)
Media Math
MyThings
Optimax Media Delivery
Pubmatic
Quantcast
Rocket Fuel
Switch Concepts
Trade Desk

... and this one is mild compared to most.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:33 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:06 Bradley

Sorry, the only person in charge of what my computer does and downloads is ME, not your website. If you publicly publish an HTML page and I download it, I am under no obligation to also download any separate files that are listed in it.  

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:04 NetHead

Darks wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:38:
Blues is probably siting here tapping his fingers on his desk because he may have some popups that are helping him generate cash. Sorry Blues, not intended to screw you over if that's the case. but as the other guys are saying we have gotten to a point where its just gotten out of hand with all the pops and spam that is causing to many issues.

I don't know what kind of visits/page views etc that Blues gets, but I like think it's pretty decent, something that can drive traffic to a location.

If Blue's had an ad or two, like one on the top and one to the side I'd click it at least once per visit, probably a lot more (and probably click a link or two at the destination, to not seem like a clickbot and to feign interest), even if it was something I know I don't want. A Call of Duty ad on the top? I'm not interested but I'd click the sucker, new Star Citizen ship sale, lol, would even click that. Even added Blues to my list of sites not to block the referer from (blocked by default), so other places can know "we got a visit thanks to some place called Bluesnews.

So it's not that I won't jump through hoops for sites I like. I click 1-2 ads for each search I run on certain sites.

Though what I wont do is enable third party scripts, that's my line in the sane and not going to happen because I don't trust them, and which is why even with adblocking disabled here I only see an empty spot at the top where I presume an ad with scripts should be.

Nothing to do with Blues or any other site I like. Moments ago I checked and saw one about Facebook scripts, I don't care what "functionality" that provides never going to happen (it's on my blacklist) others like google scripts (biggest ad agency on the planet, don't even allow google scripts if checking gmail, also can't stand their GUI with them) not going to happen for me. Then there's an ad network www.switchadhub.com , the kind of thing that's a great target for someone wanting to sneak some malware into one place to reach many people and the kind of thing that tries to track you beyond just the one site.

Otherwise I/'d gladly click ads here and elsewhere. You get those, or some non obtrusive/non flashing/nonFlash, ads up without third party scripts I'll click those suckers all the time, would have given the one to the right a midle-click jab right now before clicking "Post" lol.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >