CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns

A lengthy post on the RSI Community Forums from Ben Lesnick of Cloud Imperium Games' offers "some thoughts on concerns" that have been raised about Star Citizen (thanks PC Invasion), saying this is "all in the spirit of improving communication" about their upcoming space game (even though one of the answers in the post says it's "absolutely incorrect" that they have not been communicating with the community). Questions about the state of the project have intensified amid news of a delay to the FPS module, the departure of the game's executive producer, and the ongoing crowdfunding and virual item sales that continually add to the game's budget. The post takes on these issues and more, deeming almost every concern expressed about the project to be inaccurate. Ben does grant that they have not been communicating enough about promised features on their website, but dismisses most other concerns. Here's a digest:

• ‘Star Marine is delayed indefinitely.’ - "First of all: the phrase ‘delayed indefinitely’ being bandied around is incorrect…"
  • ‘Star Marine is Call of Duty in space!’ - "First of all, let me speak out against reducing any concept to such broad strokes…"
  • ‘You are spending too much time polishing the game.’ - "This is absolutely inaccurate. We are grappling with blockers, not a polish…"
  • ‘Feature creep!’ - "I don’t have much to say to this, beyond that it’s not accurate…"
  • ‘You’re spending all your time on concept sales!’ - "We aren’t! Concept sales are something of a slow burn that uses mostly outsource talent who would not otherwise be working on the game…"
  • ‘My ship isn’t flyable yet!’ - "Despite rumors (and jokes, I promise!) to the contrary, we have not forgotten about the Caterpillar, Banu Merchantman, Xi’An Scout, Constellation, Retaliator, Orion, Herald, Vanguard or any of the others. :) Every ship we’ve sold (and quite a few we haven’t) are on the block schedule and every dog will get his day. Why are some ships prioritized before others? There’s a couple reasons for that.…"
  • ‘They’re only making assets for Squadron 42!’ - "This is also not the case…"
  • ‘Sales are down, we’re doomed!’ - "We are not concerned, and you shouldn’t be either…"
  • ‘Where are the previous web features you’ve talked about?’ - "This is a good question, and reviewing our past six months of communication I believe it’s probably the most serious concern here…"
  • ‘Chris Roberts is wasting his time directing the performance capture shoot.’ - "Positively untrue…"
  • ‘X employee is leaving, we’re doomed!’ - "As I said in a recent post, turnover sucks… but it’s a constant in this or pretty much any other industry. The sky is not falling…
  • ‘It’s not open development!’ - "I think this is an easy one to attack because it’s a vague concept; there’s no dictionary definition for ‘open development’ and if there were we’d still argue about it. We see open development as sharing our progress with you every step of the way, and I believe we do a fairly good job of that. We’ll continue to get better, we’ll continue to work from feedback… but we make the entire team available to interact with you, we tell you what we’re doing on a weekly and monthly basis… we think it’s pretty open…"
  • ‘CIG is not communicating with us!’ - "I firmly believe that this is absolutely incorrect, but I also believe that it’s a criticism that will never, ever go away…"
View : : :
159 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
Dec 5, 2016, 02:50
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Dec 5, 2016, 02:50
Dec 5, 2016, 02:50

Thank you for sharing valuable information.

Jul 14, 2015, 14:13
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 14, 2015, 14:13
Jul 14, 2015, 14:13

Flatline wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:53:
There's an implication here that if the game crashes and burns and fails on all levels to connect that it's basically the backers' fault for giving them so much money and creating such an unreachable obligation.
I don't agree. The game has expanded in scope because of support from backers, as most of the pledges were given after the addition of extra features. That has led to some delays. If the game crashes and burns then that's entirely on CIG.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jul 14, 2015, 13:53
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 14, 2015, 13:53
Jul 14, 2015, 13:53

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 13:09:
Some of that is because the scope of the game changed based on the funding - they couldn't keep developing the game they had planned at $2m now that the funding has hit $85m. If they simply pocketed the money and released the game exactly as was planned it would have a) not received the same level of funding, and b) been labelled a scam.

There's an implication here that if the game crashes and burns and fails on all levels to connect that it's basically the backers' fault for giving them so much money and creating such an unreachable obligation.

And that's shit.

removed
Jul 13, 2015, 19:47
removed Jul 13, 2015, 19:47
Jul 13, 2015, 19:47

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 14, 2015, 07:26.

Jul 13, 2015, 17:00
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 13, 2015, 17:00
Jul 13, 2015, 17:00

BadIronTree wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 13:32:
Julio wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 12:06:
Zandog wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 02:48:
Bluesnews comments are a toxic cesspool of hate for Star Citizen.

There's one reason right there why this site can be great at times. Wonder if there could be a "toxic cesspool of hate for Star Citizen" banner at the top of the page next to the Blue's logo?
Well we are a toxic cesspool in all games not just Star Citizen
But I am a Star Citizen fan and I pledge money to help make CR dream true !!!
Remember you are donating money to help make this game. This game will cost around 60$ when is out and they will keep adding stuff later. Nobody forced anyone to give 2000-10000$ but people did anyway... Because they want something good to be made...

But I am a Star Citizen fan and I pledge money to help make CR dream true !!!

i feel sorry for you overpaying for that pos

Jul 11, 2015, 20:48
Kxmode

Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 20:48
Jul 11, 2015, 20:48
 Kxmode

Zandog wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 08:54:
Fuck everyone else.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/54306753.jpg
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 11, 2015, 19:56
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 19:56
Jul 11, 2015, 19:56

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:24:
True from a size perspective, but I was speaking from a technological perspective: creating an integrated game universe with a scale that delivers an individual perspective all the way up to a galactic one and getting all those pieces to work together.
Given his documented trolling he actually has LESS credibility than a random forum poster. He was proved himself to be inept both personally and professionally.

Jul 11, 2015, 19:24
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 19:24
Jul 11, 2015, 19:24

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 19:34:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 18:47:
Probably among the most qualified, as there are only a few project leads on the planet that have ever tried anything of this scope, Derek being among them for the past 2+ decades.
He's an indie developer and not a very good one. He hasn't managed a project this large or even close to it. All he does is re-release the same game year after year. According to his LinkedIn page he has between 11 and 50 employees and another source puts it at 25, which is a fraction of the 280+ employees and 200+ contractors that CIG has. That's without even considered calibre, as CIG has employees that have worked on some of the largest, most successful titles in the industry.

He's barely qualified to dress himself.

True from a size perspective, but I was speaking from a technological perspective: creating an integrated game universe with a scale that delivers an individual perspective all the way up to a galactic one and getting all those pieces to work together.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 11, 2015, 10:36
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 10:36
Jul 11, 2015, 10:36

Julio wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 12:06:
Zandog wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 02:48:
Bluesnews comments are a toxic cesspool of hate for Star Citizen.

There's one reason right there why this site can be great at times. Wonder if there could be a "toxic cesspool of hate for Star Citizen" banner at the top of the page next to the Blue's logo?

It's indeed toxic. Good, unfiltered critique you will find here and therefore the hate is quite contagious.

Jul 11, 2015, 10:23
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 10:23
Jul 11, 2015, 10:23

bobbyric wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 21:13:

You say "of this scope" as if games like Arkham Knight or GTA or Assassin's Creed are not of the same scope. Sure they don't let you "visit planets" and all that crap, but under the hood those action games are @#!)@! huge, beyond the scope of anything Smart has ever done.

There's a big difference between being able to perform the same set of actions 1000 times over (like your examples) and being able to perform 1000 unique actions once (like the sims being discussed). That's the difference in scope most people are talking about.

Kind of like how there are more steps involved in just getting an airplane off the ground in a DCS title than there are stages in a HAWX game.

Jul 11, 2015, 07:53
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 07:53
Jul 11, 2015, 07:53

Rigs wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 23:58:
Anyway, about account creation, you can't really go by that at all. Mine says September 10th, 2002, but I've been coming here long before that! Where my original account went? I have no clue. I know I forgot it's password and then abandoned the email address it pointed to, so it's lost. That's after lurking here for nearly two years without commenting at all, just reading the news. Things back then were crazy! The industry was still getting on it's feet, being a geek wasn't 'cool' yet. 'Life-like', 'realistic' graphics meant taking some artistic liberties with the definitions...lol...
I used to have an account before this one but lost it, so this one is 'only' ten years old.

Jul 10, 2015, 23:58
Rigs

Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 23:58
Jul 10, 2015, 23:58
 Rigs

Drayth wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 10:10:
Can't go by when he created his account. I've been here since the very beginning, registered some years later as Drax, lost my PW or something (I forget) and viola - the present...

The only time I remember the Blue's forum being wholly positive was the early Quake days when we were all still flipping out over OpenGL hardware accelerated graphics.

Hey, I still get excited about OpenGL hardware accelerated graphics! I have three nVidia TNT boards, three S3 ViRGe boards (ugh), two 3DFX Voodoo2/8mb boards Drool , a Rendition V2000-based Diamond Stealth S220 board ("...it even supports trilinear texture filtering"...oh, be still my beating heart! ), and two nVidia Vanta boards (oh god) that I use to play various games from the second-gen 3D Accelerator Era, (from roughly 1997-1998) like QuakeGL and Quake2, Unreal and Unreal2, SIN, Half-Life, Spec Ops, POD, Foresaken, DESCENT2 and 3, FREESPACE 1 and 2 and Jedi Knight 1 and 2. Sure I could play them in virtual environment but it's just not the same as booting up a Pentium2 or 3, or maybe an AMD Thunderbird and playing them natively. You haven't lived until you've played QuakeGL on a Rendition-based board at 1280x720 or Grand Prix Legends using it's Rendition-based mode! One of the best and unique chipsets of the time which was sadly bludgeoned by the behemoth 3dfx. It never got the respect it rightfully earned.

Anyway, about account creation, you can't really go by that at all. Mine says September 10th, 2002, but I've been coming here long before that! Where my original account went? I have no clue. I know I forgot it's password and then abandoned the email address it pointed to, so it's lost. That's after lurking here for nearly two years without commenting at all, just reading the news. Things back then were crazy! The industry was still getting on it's feet, being a geek wasn't 'cool' yet. 'Life-like', 'realistic' graphics meant taking some artistic liberties with the definitions...lol...

=-Rigs-=

Jul 10, 2015, 21:13
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 21:13
Jul 10, 2015, 21:13

Probably among the most qualified, as there are only a few project leads on the planet that have ever tried anything of this scope, Derek being among them for the past 2+ decades.

You say "of this scope" as if games like Arkham Knight or GTA or Assassin's Creed are not of the same scope. Sure they don't let you "visit planets" and all that crap, but under the hood those action games are @#!)@! huge, beyond the scope of anything Smart has ever done. Large companies just throw 100 plus million dollars at them to make them work. We just haven't had the luxury of getting a space game with the same budget love. (Unless Star Citizen becomes a real game)

Jul 10, 2015, 19:53
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 19:53
Jul 10, 2015, 19:53

I am hopeful SC comes out, just to make DSmart's butt hurt. He can't make an epic space game, so no one can.

Edit: And if SC comes out in the most broken form, it will be 100x more playable that Sir Lord Smart's games.

Jul 10, 2015, 19:45
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 19:45
Jul 10, 2015, 19:45

Tumbler wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 11:48:
[
DICE is likely the best studio to give a summary on progress of Star Citizen because they're really the only guys that run a FPS engine that involves FPS combat on the ground with vehicles you can fly and drive around on the same map. But I doubt they would comment publically.

Even they know when to put the breaks on when deciding to use an engine designed for first person shooters with a space simulation, the fact that they're not having any space combat in
Star Wars Battlefront speaks volumes.

Jul 10, 2015, 19:34
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 19:34
Jul 10, 2015, 19:34

He's an indie developer and not a very good one. He hasn't managed a project this large or even close to it. All he does is re-release the same game year after year. According to his LinkedIn page he has between 11 and 50 employees and another source puts it at 25, which is a fraction of the 280+ employees and 200+ contractors that CIG has. That's without even considered calibre, as CIG has employees that have worked on some of the largest, most successful titles in the industry.

He's barely qualified to dress himself.

Jul 10, 2015, 18:47
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 18:47
Jul 10, 2015, 18:47

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 10:14:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 09:54:
Derek's here to spread more propaganda against Star Citizen. Brilliant. Did you get bored of making your failed games and filing lawsuits against anyone who looks at you funny?

I may not be into his games or like his attitude on some things, but I don't think he's said anything so far that is inaccurate wrt Star Citizen. Like it or not, he is somewhat qualified to speak about this kind of game and its scope.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 10, 2015, 18:42
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 18:42
Jul 10, 2015, 18:42

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 06:41:
Newsflash for you, bro: Most crowdfunding gigs have already proven that they are not one bit better than publishers. The same poor communication, the same questionable business practices, the same cuts (many games do not deliver the full package that was promised), the same bullshit all around.
And *especially* CIG has been breaking Kickstarter promises left, right and center before the game has even come out. With all the snake oil, and the semantical spin they put on their own older statements, they are like EA already. No difference. At all.

Completely untrue. The vast majority of crowdfunded projects I've funded have delivered a complete enjoyable product for the reasonable price I pledge. No free to play. No pay to win. No nickel and dime chop-the-game-to-pieces DLC. No Origin or UPlay. No DRM. No modding restrictions (usually the opposite: total modding support).

Jul 10, 2015, 15:08
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 15:08
Jul 10, 2015, 15:08

Planets idea is a great choice comparison. Any development time known for that? I was thinking Arma is a good comparison as well but in both cases those were iterative updates to existing games. Ww2 online might be worth looking into as well. That had a good flight model but the ground game was shit.

I'll have to look up dev times on those games.

Edit : Star wars galaxies too, from development up to when jump to light speed was released would be a useful comparison. (as well as terrifying...)

Jul 10, 2015, 13:40
Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 13:40
Jul 10, 2015, 13:40

Chris Roberts have talent but his problem is he tries to everything because he gets sidetracked with all his dreams, he needs to get back to basics of making the core game and basically get a shrink to help him block off all the distractions such as directing or fps modules... etc etc....

He has to mentally go back in his head to the days when he worked under EA with Origin and had to deliver results with specific budget, and deliver limited goals but effective.

I think most people were looking to play great space fighter sim and NOT real life future simulator where u can even go to bathroom in full 3d.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
159 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older