20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Consolidation
Jul 7, 2015, 04:25
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 7, 2015, 04:25
Jul 7, 2015, 04:25

@Nethead,

Meh, they could release a XB1 or PS4 with faster hardware, especially now that they're using off the shelf PC parts. Older games would run fine, and newer games could be set to detect the new hardware and adjust res/graphics accordingly. In fact, now that they're all PC-based anyway, the "next gen" console might just be a hardware refresh, keeping the previous O/S, etc. That would keep old game compatibility while allowing for better looking AAA games.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 7, 2015, 02:59
Flo
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 7, 2015, 02:59
Jul 7, 2015, 02:59
Flo

Well deserved, Sony. Personally, I have an Xbox One for the single reason that I don't want to create a Sony account. Both consoles suck from a hardware perspective, but Sony does indeed suck less.
Anyway, Microsoft fucked it up with this console generation and now they have to pick up the pieces.
I don't agree with the general Microsoft hate anymore, though. As a .NET developer, I love what they are doing at the moment. And if I had to pick one company from Apple, Google & Microsoft, it would be MS.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Jul 6, 2015, 23:25
nin

Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 23:25
Jul 6, 2015, 23:25
 nin

Krowen wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 23:17:
|RaptoR| wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 22:21:
BF4 - BF4 1.25 million for PC globally. 3.52 million for PS3 alone.

I notice that vgchartz doesn't appear to disclose any sources so it might as well be a tumblr blog.

VGC has long been suspect. I don't doubt they have some sources, but the question is who they are and how knowledgeable. All you can do is take them with a grain of salt (of million).

Jul 6, 2015, 23:17
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 23:17
Jul 6, 2015, 23:17

I notice that vgchartz doesn't appear to disclose any sources so it might as well be a tumblr blog. Those numbers don't make any sense considering third party trackers have the user base on PC pegged at 2.7mil. It also maintains active user base parity with the various console versions regularly which suggests closer per platform figures.

I don't doubt that consoles sell more than PCs and that's fine. PCs outnumber Macs but Mac and Linux users spend more per user than they do. In the end its all about the money.

Jul 6, 2015, 23:06
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 23:06
Jul 6, 2015, 23:06

^ Depends on game. Many of the top games are still online PC games. WoT, HS, LoL and some others, notice we don't recognize them often, but they do exist, lol, there the biggest games, lol.

When we look at financials of EA a well rounded company in terms of pc/console/mobile games. The PC sometimes is a bit above a singular console, meaning PC=PS4 sales not PC=PS4 & Xbone sales. Sometimes it is a dead heat and sometimes the singular consoles are a bit ahead of the PC. But it isn't this massive blow out anymore overall.

Jul 6, 2015, 23:00
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 23:00
Jul 6, 2015, 23:00

And you're not addressing sales figures for software and attachment.

The console market beats the brakes off of the PC market in terms of software sales, even with Steam.

This is very true unfortunately. You get a broader idea though, if instead of your singled out examples, you just look at financial reports. I'm too lazy to link them right now but if you go to Ubi's or EA's or Take2's corporate websites (investor relations) and check out the latest quarterly reports, you can see that they all have sections with revenue per platform in them. It doesn't get more accurate and straight from the horse's mouth than that.

The PC sales (including browser games in case of one of the named parties) range from 9% to about 20%. EA is actually leading the pack with ~20% PC sales in Q4/2014 (Sims, SimCity, SWTOR, Origin Xmas sale presumably). Mobile is usually in the 10% range (max) and then you have 67% to 80% (varies a bit between Ubi, EA, Take2) console sales.
The pattern is very similar and very clear. I'm betting that the numbers look nearly the same at other crossplatform publishers. PC is far, far, far behind at only a fraction of consoles.

This, gentlemen, is the sad state of affairs but we would not be the MASTER RACE if we gave up so easily or would we now? To arms!

Jul 6, 2015, 22:57
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:57
Jul 6, 2015, 22:57

NetHead wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 22:48:
First of all they can't simply release a faster Xbone or PS4, it would fracture the market leaving everyone who already purchased one very pissed off, that fracture would also mean a smaller market

But someday that is exactly what they will do, release faster Bones and PS's. I assume we think the architecture is now sound and moving forward we are keeping compatibility, just better HW. So what is being portrayed here is what is going to happen. Time is the only thing in question. Hopefully no more than 5, but imo it could be a lot more aggressive yet. Condition the people to the new world of consoles, it has worked well with phones and there are plenty of console players that would right now shell out $$$ for more FPS in their current games. The older models will still run the game, just not as good.

Or is it new everything again and rebuy all your software again? My world the cost of next gen becomes a lot less for MS and Sony. You aren't redoing O/S or online services, done and done.

Jul 6, 2015, 22:48
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:48
Jul 6, 2015, 22:48

WaltC wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:48:
...and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales!

For some strange reason I'm going to not assume that you're just trolling or having some kind of aneurism and have to say "Nonsense, utter nonsense".

First of all they can't simply release a faster Xbone or PS4, it would fracture the market leaving everyone who already purchased one very pissed off, that fracture would also mean a smaller market for the games unless released and optimised for both the older/slower and newer/faster consoles (costing more money, a lot more than one would first think going beyond just simple dev time), it could/would also fracture the multiplayer player bases.

If one side started this race there's nothing to stop the other side joining in "IF" for some god knows why reason it is accepted by the consumer, meaning whoever makes that move first has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Also hardware upgrading or regular refreshes is not what console gamers want or what console gaming is about, infact its virtually always been about NOT that. Not having to worry about upgrading, not having to worry about system requirements, not having to worry about changing settings to get a game to run well enough, not worrying about driver, update tweaks... It's sit your butt down on a big couch, plug in and play. There are examples of console upgrades, see how well they did, just ask Sega's hardware division.

People who play games and care about upgrading hardware, care about more pretty pictures, shiny new things to plug in and make more eye-candy, buy PCs, I'd even dare say many of them build or at least choose parts for said PC.

Looking at that quote again I don't know how you can't be trolling, god please let that be a troll, because the alternative...

Anyway..

I will add I agree with your sentiment that PC sales will increase, but make a very important distinction that gaming PC sales will increase (note PC sales not!= Gaming PC sales, not by the most remote stretch of the imagination).

The reason I personally would give for this is because consoles aren't living up to expectations and the "PC Master Race" has more than ever to show off. Ironically this is at least partly the fault of console makers who over-hyped the new/current console hardware. 1080p @ 60FPS preview here, amazing graphics preview there and what do they end up getting, 720p @ 30FPS with lowered settings a lot of the time, console players probably wouldn't have cared at all if they weren't hyped up for numbers they aren't getting.

Meanwhile on the PC side Steam is finally getting a touch of competition and Steam even did something, shock, customer friendly (not of their own free will necessarily but anyway) with starting at least some kind of refund policy. Not to mention game sales everywhere, all round, I'd be surprised if there's even a single place selling PC games that doesn't have a number of worthwhile things on sale right now and this before considering the total list of games on PC, dating back and back and back, a list that only ever gets bigger and better.

There seems to be more people, gamers, journalists, websites than before waking up to the fact that PCs have superior hardware and eye candy (it's no longer a debate, not that it was ever a worthwhile debate), the eye candy the consoles promised and failed to deliver. The current consoles won't be replaced for a lone time and the appeal of PC power will only increase. More people will see a modded game like Skyrim and go "what game is that?", more will see screenshots in insane resolutions wondering "how" since it bigger than their TV from a smaller monitor.

Then there's the 3D craze (maybe I should say fad, we'll see), Occulus Rift etc which is getting a lot of publicity, current PC hardware would struggle to push that with high fidelity so current consoles don't have a hope in hell there on the graphics side.

Right now PC is on a high and consoles are in a low of sorts so it wouldn't be at all surprising if PC gained ground. The only thing that could hurt PC now is if AMD imploded, though that would also effect the next console cycle.

Jul 6, 2015, 22:21
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:21
Jul 6, 2015, 22:21

Right now, PCs sell, month in and month out, as many consoles as the xBone & PS4 have shipped combined since their launch. I would not be surprised at all to see PC sales go through the roof beginning in August and for the rest of the year, building momentum as we move towards the Christmas holidays. There is a lot of pent-up demand on the PC side of the market, and the number of people building their own boxes will certainly increase as well.

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales! Microsoft seems simply not to "get it" with the xBone, and that leaves me scratching my head in wonder and bafflement...! How could the company not understand what its console customers want? No point in being in that market if you aren't listening to your customers.

But anyway...people are better off buying PCs than buying either console, no doubt about that, so maybe it's a positive thing that Microsoft missed the console boat. With Windows 10 Microsoft demonstrated that it is capable of listening to its customers--but maybe they are finally coming around with respect to gaming on the PC--D3d12 itself is a strong indicator.

It isn't a one to one comparison. Easily 90% of PC sales are to businesses and enterprises. Not to consumers. Enterprises order pallets of laptops and workstations every MTBF cycle, which can be as low as 2-3 years. Pallets of machines. The consumer market is not doing well at all.

Some further reading from Chris Suh of Microsoft

Of those 90%, maybe 1% will play a game other than Solitaire in its lifetime and that's thanks to Steams accessibility.

Either way, those numbers only address pre-built machines and not the enthusiast build your own market.

And you're not addressing sales figures for software and attachment.

The console market beats the brakes off of the PC market in terms of software sales, even with Steam.

Source: I work in the gaming industry. I can also google.

L4D - No sales numbers but L4D sold better on console than PC according to Gaben
GTA5 - GTA5 2 million in a month on PC, 12 million in 24 hours on Consoles
Evolve - 110k PC, 600k PS4, 360k XBone

PCs aren't going anywhere.
Consoles aren't going anywhere.
PC masterrace nerds will always hate console nerds.
Console nerds will always hate PC masterrace nerds.
Gaming will continue to suffer.

Such is life.

I'll chill on my couch and enjoy Forza on my Xbox One, Destiny on my PS4, and everything else on my PC... because I'm a gamer, and care more about gaming than I do which platform I swear allegiance.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2015, 22:32.
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Jul 6, 2015, 22:10
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:10
Jul 6, 2015, 22:10

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales!

Agreed. They are stuck back 5+ years now. Not understanding how mobile has changed things. How the PC re-surge changes things. Now some will scream to bloddy hell if console hw moved into this realm, but mobile also shows tons of people will pay and for a profit to the mfg for better faster compatible hardware in a timely manner. If they'd do that, if they'd accept a mouse as a viable input device and not hate on it for no good reason, then I might even be interested in this unit.

It seems to me they miss about every opportunity anymore, must be maddening inside their walls or peaceful as everyone minds their own P's and Q's and doesn't give 2 shits.

Jul 6, 2015, 22:04
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:04
Jul 6, 2015, 22:04

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:18:
Sony should put in a better vid card, sell it for the same price, and put the final nail in the xbox. MS failed with terrible gaming hardware.

I like the way you think! They should both be looking at 100% compatible upgrades asap.

PS4 has pretty much always held that 2:1 lead, as time goes on in pops eyes more and more.

So MS is coming back to support the PC any way, we all win. huh

Jul 6, 2015, 21:48
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 21:48
Jul 6, 2015, 21:48

Right now, PCs sell, month in and month out, as many consoles as the xBone & PS4 have shipped combined since their launch. I would not be surprised at all to see PC sales go through the roof beginning in August and for the rest of the year, building momentum as we move towards the Christmas holidays. There is a lot of pent-up demand on the PC side of the market, and the number of people building their own boxes will certainly increase as well.

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales! Microsoft seems simply not to "get it" with the xBone, and that leaves me scratching my head in wonder and bafflement...! How could the company not understand what its console customers want? No point in being in that market if you aren't listening to your customers.

But anyway...people are better off buying PCs than buying either console, no doubt about that, so maybe it's a positive thing that Microsoft missed the console boat. With Windows 10 Microsoft demonstrated that it is capable of listening to its customers--but maybe they are finally coming around with respect to gaming on the PC--D3d12 itself is a strong indicator.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Jul 6, 2015, 21:38
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 21:38
Jul 6, 2015, 21:38

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:13:
lololololroflcopt0rmegalolorcoast0r@xbone

A very well deserved loss for that piece of shit and its asshole creators at Microsoft.

But keep on withholding Tomb Raider from us PC players. Maybe it's gonna help you catch up. You stupid fucks...

lol You're having so much fun I feel like I'm having fun.

On that page they also gave monthly numbers which if accurate show PS4 sales increasing that lead rather than just maintaining a big sales ratio. Overall sales is almost 1.8 PS4s per Xbone and the monthly sales were over 2.2 PS4s per BoneBox.

I don't really care about the consoles, though I am glad at how Microsoft and the crap they were trying to originally pull with the Xbone was globally shunned and mocked. That idiot they had working on it, it's hard to fathom, I still have a hard time not being dumbfounded and angry at the crap he was saying when they were launching.

The lone fact that such an idiot could get such a position in their console division and have no-one put a sudden stop to his crap well before anything resembling a release is shocking. Let alone how he ran that stupid mouth at and after release. Now if that can happen with their beloved console gaming side, just imagine the poor PC division. Reading actions rather than words it seems like the PC "division" is actually just a single desk within the console division where people come up going "You don't mind if I take this do you, of course you don't".

Jul 6, 2015, 21:29
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 21:29
Jul 6, 2015, 21:29

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:12:
Sony should put in a better vid card, sell it for the same price, and put the final nail in the xbox. MS failed with terrible gaming hardware.

Yeah, fuck competition!

As long as the competition's name is Microsoft: FUCK YES!

Jul 6, 2015, 21:12
nin

Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 21:12
Jul 6, 2015, 21:12
 nin

Yeah, fuck competition!

Jul 6, 2015, 20:24
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 20:24
Jul 6, 2015, 20:24

Xbox Ones aren't sold at a loss... they are not actually "losing" anything. They simply aren't earning as much as they wanted to.

Jul 6, 2015, 20:18
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 20:18
Jul 6, 2015, 20:18

Jul 6, 2015, 20:13
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 20:13
Jul 6, 2015, 20:13

lololololroflcopt0rmegalolorcoast0r@xbone

A very well deserved loss for that piece of shit and its asshole creators at Microsoft.

But keep on withholding Tomb Raider from us PC players. Maybe it's gonna help you catch up. You stupid fucks...

Jul 6, 2015, 19:21
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 19:21
Jul 6, 2015, 19:21

I had a feeling they make an 'improved' model like they did with the PS3. I'm glad I waited.

Jul 6, 2015, 19:08
Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 19:08
Jul 6, 2015, 19:08

PS4 sales hit 23 million, Xbox One trails behind with 12 million.

Damn, Sony doubled up MS.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older