FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered

The FINAL FANTASY XIV website announces that Square Enix has pulled the OS X edition of FINAL FANTASY XIV from distribution due to performance issues, kicking off the post by offering refunds to customers who request them (thanks Slashdot via Ant). They explain the various factors that led to this point, saying they released the incorrect OS X system requirements and compounded that with the release of an in-development client for the MMORPG, but apparently solving this is not as simple as releasing the correct client with the proper specs, hence the refunds. A foul-up of this magnitude involved the "entire company," though producer/director Naoki Yoshida is accepting all the responsibility. The post is extremely lengthy, including an entire essay on their "Mac Version Development Policy," so here's a small portion:
I believe that the biggest problem with the Mac version release was the significant discrepancy between the performance of the product our development team produced and the expectations our customers had for it, which was due to the lack of information available on our product when sales commenced, as well as other issues. I would like to explain in detail how this happened.

Up until the official release of the Mac version on June 23rd, we were working to improve the client’s performance. Consequently, the system requirements which we should have released were not made available in time, which was a serious problem.

Although our development and QA teams tested the client on Mac hardware, because of our last minute efforts to improve performance and the possibility that system requirements might change, we decided to prepare several versions of these requirements, with the one to be released depending on the final result. However, in the chaos leading up to the multi-platform launch of our expansion, we released incorrect requirements, which were not updated prior to the Mac version’s official release.

While the development and operations teams, as well as our entire company, were involved in this mistake, it was I who ultimately made the decision to release the Mac version under these circumstances and therefore bear sole responsibility, and I sincerely apologize to you all.
View : : :

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
Jul 5, 2015, 20:56
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 20:56
Jul 5, 2015, 20:56

Macs are great, I do a lot of gaming on my Macbook. The Apple laptop market keeps growing each quarter while PC shipments keep declining. The biggest problem Macs face is just drivers and retarded Apple bullshit where they can't decide if they're going to take gaming seriously or not.
Date
Subject
Author
Jul 5, 2015Jul 5 2015
Jul 5, 2015Jul 5 2015
Jul 5, 2015Jul 5 2015
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
Jul 6, 2015Jul 6 2015
Jul 6, 2015Jul 6 2015