Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered

The FINAL FANTASY XIV website announces that Square Enix has pulled the OS X edition of FINAL FANTASY XIV from distribution due to performance issues, kicking off the post by offering refunds to customers who request them (thanks Slashdot via Ant). They explain the various factors that led to this point, saying they released the incorrect OS X system requirements and compounded that with the release of an in-development client for the MMORPG, but apparently solving this is not as simple as releasing the correct client with the proper specs, hence the refunds. A foul-up of this magnitude involved the "entire company," though producer/director Naoki Yoshida is accepting all the responsibility. The post is extremely lengthy, including an entire essay on their "Mac Version Development Policy," so here's a small portion:
I believe that the biggest problem with the Mac version release was the significant discrepancy between the performance of the product our development team produced and the expectations our customers had for it, which was due to the lack of information available on our product when sales commenced, as well as other issues. I would like to explain in detail how this happened.

Up until the official release of the Mac version on June 23rd, we were working to improve the client’s performance. Consequently, the system requirements which we should have released were not made available in time, which was a serious problem.

Although our development and QA teams tested the client on Mac hardware, because of our last minute efforts to improve performance and the possibility that system requirements might change, we decided to prepare several versions of these requirements, with the one to be released depending on the final result. However, in the chaos leading up to the multi-platform launch of our expansion, we released incorrect requirements, which were not updated prior to the Mac version’s official release.

While the development and operations teams, as well as our entire company, were involved in this mistake, it was I who ultimately made the decision to release the Mac version under these circumstances and therefore bear sole responsibility, and I sincerely apologize to you all.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 21:48 |RaptoR|

Basically, if you don't know anything about tech, and you don't want to know anything about tech, you buy an Apple product...;) So, at cocktail parties you can chime into to techie discussions and say, "I've goat a Mac," or "I've got an iPad," which is your price for admission to the immediate social grouping...;) In Apple-oriented groups, knowledge beyond that point is not required.

Everything you've said applies to Windows/PC folks as well. "I've got this Dell and it does everything I need. It's got McAfee for my securities and I can look at cats on the internets with Google Chrome. By the way, I use Google Chrome because I read on ZDNet that it's more secure than Internet Explorer. Microsoft can't do anything right, amirite?"

This fantasy that cocktail parties involve people pretending to care about PC vs Mac is rich, btw. Don't know what parties you're attending...

Here's why I choose Apple hardware as a senior technology professional that's been doing this shit far too long:

1 - Build quality.
2 - BSD roots. dig, SSH, tcpdump, screen, NFS, etc.
3 - SSH server/VNC server built in.
4 - iCloud integration
5 - crashes are localized and don't drop the entire system
6 - network features are WAY more robust than what's available in Windows
7 - Python and Ruby preinstalled -- and WORKING
8 - Powerful and free IDE
9 - Stability

If I need Windows, I'll install it in VMware Fusion. Right now, my only holdback to the Windows world is Visio and the server toolkit

Where do you get this feeling of superiority? Explain it to me. Is it a cost vs performance thing? Distance for the dollar or some such neckbeard bullshit?

You'll spend $599 on a video card but fuck that coffee shop hipster who just spent $1500 on an ultraportable laptop that has no viable Windows peer. He's an asshole who bought it for status and wouldn't know REAL technology if it punched in the face, right!?

Never mind the fact that the coffee shop hipster swilling an overpriced $3 cup of drip may in fact be a senior technology professional taking care of a client emergency in a location that has stable wifi (and that hipster understands that Starbucks is among the few that allow IPSEC NAT traversal). We can't assume that the same guy who would spend $3 on coffee might actually know a thing or two about technology and which conveniently located public establishments have solid internet access, because that's just absurd.

Do you really fret over $3 cups of coffee? I remember when I had to nitpick over $3 expenses. It was when I worked the produce counter at Houchens to have after-school fun money. If that describes you, then sure I can understand why you don't like Apple products.

iOS? Lol...;) The answer is "get yourself a computer" and join the grown-up world and you'll have all of the choice you could want in everything, browsers, software, hardware (unless you buy a Mac, but that's another story.) IMO, anyone who restricts his web browsing to a friggin' cell-phone deserves all the "Safari" he's gonna' get...;)
Ugh!

Your point above is about iOS. I agree with you there. It's a toy, useful for browsing reddit on the shitter or reading an e-book on the patio. But an iPhone is a fun toy to have in my pocket that gets email, directions, and doesn't look like a Japanese space-brick primed to go to deep orbit of Eridaneus IV. Btw, in your grown up world (I'm assuming your grown up decision is Android, right?), you lack universal full device encryption support so really, it's not a grown up world at all but rather a toy that can't be trusted with sensitive data.

That aside, I generally agree with you that iOS is a toy... but then you go and drag the Mac into it.

So, really? Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all work beautifully under OS X. I have an easier time getting WebEx working on a Mac than I ever had on any Windows machine. What are you doing in a web browser nowadays that requires you use a Windows version of anything?

Productivity tools. Office for Mac is strong. SharePoint integration is 100%. Outlook 2014 is now equivalent to the Windows client. Developing .NET apps? I can make that work, or I can install a VM with Visual Studio.

My only complaint is that OmniGraffle does a good job trying to duplicate Visio, but it's not there yet.

BUT BUT BUT GAEMS DONT WRK AHAHAHAHA LOOSER
Rolleyes

I get it. It's cool to hate Apple.

But you're a fucking retard if you think the only people buying Mac hardware are coffee house hipsters more concerned about their Tumblr than holding a respectable job.

Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 11:32 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:32:

According to Forbes, the iphone accounts for nearly 70 percent of apple’s revenue. Their tablets, awesome gaming machines, mp3 players, app store and music sales are not even close.
Now on the computer side, apple's market share has crept up to about 13% (+/- 2%). An informal poll shows they outnumber pc's 3 to 1 at any Starbucks.

Forbes is often dead-wrong on technology matters, but that's no different from most non-tech, business-oriented magazines. Apple's Mac market share hovers perpetually around the ~5% mark globally. In the US estimates have it tagged as high as 10%--but that's in the US alone. Globally, Mac market share is in the same place it's been for the last couple of decades. I don't doubt the Starbucks numbers, however, as it's a fact that it would have to be mostly Mac customers who would spend $3 for a cup of java...;)

Basically, if you don't know anything about tech, and you don't want to know anything about tech, you buy an Apple product...;) So, at cocktail parties you can chime into to techie discussions and say, "I've goat a Mac," or "I've got an iPad," which is your price for admission to the immediate social grouping...;) In Apple-oriented groups, knowledge beyond that point is not required.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

30. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 10:32  RedEye9 

Krowen wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 07:22:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 22:53:
Krowen wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 20:56:
Macs are great, I do a lot of gaming on my Macbook. The Apple laptop market keeps growing each quarter while PC shipments keep declining. The biggest problem Macs face is just drivers and retarded Apple bullshit where they can't decide if they're going to take gaming seriously or not.

Actually, PC sales have stabilised and just about everything Apple sells is experiencing declines. It's just that iPhone growth is enough that it's outpacing those declines financially be a wide margin.

It's the complete opposite of what you just said actually. You're thinking of Apple tablets by the way.

According to Forbes, the iphone accounts for nearly 70 percent of apple’s revenue. Their tablets, awesome gaming machines, mp3 players, app store and music sales are not even close.
Depending on whose numbers you look at on the computer side, apple's market share has crept up to about 13% (+/- 2.89%). An informal poll shows they outnumber pc's 5 to 1 at any Starbucks.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2015, 17:12.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

29. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 10:30  RedEye9 

correction.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity

28. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 07:22 Megalodon

Macs are great, I do a lot of gaming on my Macbook. The Apple laptop market keeps growing each quarter while PC shipments keep declining. The biggest problem Macs face is just drivers and retarded Apple bullshit where they can't decide if they're going to take gaming seriously or not.

Actually, PC sales have stabilised and just about everything Apple sells is experiencing declines. It's just that iPhone growth is enough that it's outpacing those declines financially be a wide margin.

It's the complete opposite of what you just said actually. You're thinking of Apple tablets by the way.

27. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 04:27 |RaptoR|

I feel like a lot of you forgot that when this game came out initially, it was so bad that they took it offline and remade it. They know they're already on eggshells with the player base, so it doesn't surprise me that they have a quick response to (yet another) quality issue.

Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

26. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 02:44  Dev 

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 18:57:
How many major game developers ever issued refunds before this new Steam refund policy. I can't think of a prior one off hand.
There's been a few. Like sims launch I believe.

25. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 02:06 NKD

Really? I thought the problem was they didn't ship any gaming PCs?

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

24. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 23:36 ViRGE

The latest numbers disagree with that.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/apple-mac-shipments-estimates-1q15/

It's not massive growth, mind you, but their share of the US market and the total number of units shipped to it continues to increase. It's enough to justify chasing this market if you have a game that can run on a variety of machines and can appeal to more than a niche crowd.

23. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:59 merloid

Maybe, just maybe, ports to other platforms shouldn't be mailed out to other companies so they can run it through a quick and dirty emulation wrapper and hope for the best.

Take it in house and program it for the target platform like you mean it.

22. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:53 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

21. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:41 Scottish Martial Arts

Axis wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 18:47:

Mac Gaming market - now that's funny! For a second there, I though you were serious!

Maybe you haven't heard but it isn't 1996 anymore.

20. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:38 Slashman

Overon wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 22:03:
Once customers get used to refunds on steam, there will be a domino effect where they will demand the same thing on every other platform. Then we shall have better polished games on release.

I'd like to think that is going to be the end effect but I still think we'll get our fair share of stinkers.

19. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:03 Overon

Once customers get used to refunds on steam, there will be a domino effect where they will demand the same thing on every other platform. Then we shall have better polished games on release.  

18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 21:52  RedEye9 

I hear Quake Con byoc was all Mac this year.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

17. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 21:12 harlock

lie with dogs, wake up with fleas  

16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 20:56 Megalodon

15. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 20:31 Steele Johnson

Everyone knows that macs suck... for gaming.  

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin

14. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 20:19 yonder

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 18:57:
How many major game developers ever issued refunds before this new Steam refund policy. I can't think of a prior one off hand.

You obviously weren't screwed by Sony with SWG. Of course the lawsuit may have had a thing or two to do with it.

I'll never let that go.

But yeah, this is a nice change. Still... kudos to Squeenix.

13. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 19:49 Flatline

descender wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 14:36:
I question if they would have even pulled this had Batman not just been such a disaster.

They already pulled FF14 once when it was a complete clusterfuck of an MMO launch. When people complained SE actually had the balls to say that this was a Japanese MMO and thus probably wouldn't be quite so much fun for western audiences when it was just a poorly designed game.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >