Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC

A post on NeoGAF discusses sales figures for the Dark Souls series, though the Famitsu article on which it was based now returns two "403 forbidden" errors (one for the page itself, and the other for the proper error message). The action/RPG series has moved more than 8 million copies since launching, and around 40 percent of these were sold for the PC platform, as they break things down to show 3.25 million copies were sold for the Windows version. Thanks DSOGaming.
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 2, 2015, 06:11 Suppa7

Brumbek wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 13:30:
Hold up now...PC gaming means options. There is nothing wrong with being a PC gamer who uses a controller! Many games work better on controllers (brawlers, 2d platformers, Dark Souls).

Problem is those who play with the controller or whine about a controller usually are the ones feeding bad ports.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 17:26 Mordecai Walfish

born2expire wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 10:45:
3.25million of perhaps the worst control ever in a PC game.
Hold up now...PC gaming means options. There is nothing wrong with being a PC gamer who uses a controller! Many games work better on controllers (brawlers, 2d platformers, Dark Souls).

So anyway, the controls are fine on PC...if you use a controller...which you should. When we already spend much money on PCs, spending $40 more for a controller isn't a big deal. Anyway, PC isn't about stubbornly using KB/M...it's about having the best of both worlds.

Agreed.

Input devices and the ability to mix and match and build/hack your own easily make PC gaming unique and fun in ways that consoles and other platforms haven't been able to match.

14. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 15:52 Megalodon

Cutter wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 14:23:
Once I got into a dropped it PDQ. Whilst quite good with the scary and sad atmosphere - and who doesn't like praising the sun \o/ - it quickly becomes a one trick pony where you have to learn how to defeat mobs and bosses according to your build. The sauce gets pretty weak at that point.

Yeah its like any other action RPG where you have to figure out the game and then play it! Whoa what a fucking revelation thanks for sharing!

Game sales are well deserved, can't wait for Dark Souls 3. The ports keep getting better as their teams learn more about making PC games.

13. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 14:23 Cutter

Once I got into a dropped it PDQ. Whilst quite good with the scary and sad atmosphere - and who doesn't like praising the sun \o/ - it quickly becomes a one trick pony where you have to learn how to defeat mobs and bosses according to your build. The sauce gets pretty weak at that point.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

12. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 14:11 Fion

It's not unplayable at all with KB/M, just a simple script fixes the mouse lag. However, with 40% of the sales being on PC perhaps... just perhaps it'll convince them to fix this issue with DS3. If they don't, I hope it supports a Steam Controller at least.

I personally never played DS1 but DS2 was my GotY last year. I loved every dark, creepy and frustrating second of it. It's not that the game is super-hard, but rather that it punishes mistakes. If forces you to slow down and plan each strike and movement. Though the DLC's did up the difficulty significantly.

But once you beat that hard ass level you died a dozen times in, or finally killed that boss you had a hard time with solo, the rewards were tremendous, both the feeling of personal accomplishment and the gear you would get. Working toward a specific set of gear, with the animation set and style you wanted with the right build was so fun. But perhaps best of all about the DS series is the level design. You never know what's coming next.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2015, 14:19.

11. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 13:49 Bundy

NetHead wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 13:41:

So anyway, the controls are fine on PC...if you use a controller...which you should. When we already spend much money on PCs, spending $40 more for a controller isn't a big deal. Anyway, PC isn't about stubbornly using KB/M...it's about having the best of both worlds.

It's as if he doesn't see the irony in what he's saying, either that or trolling.

Oh with KB/M it's unplayable. So I am using a controller. And they're still a mess. Unless that's what it's like with console too. If that's the case, I don't know how anyone plays this game.

10. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 13:46 jdreyer

I picked up mine for $5, based on my nephew's suggestion. Have yet to play it though.  

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

9. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 13:41 NetHead

It's as if he doesn't see the irony in what he's saying, either that or trolling.

8. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 13:40 NetHead

Bundy wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 11:32:
Hopefully they'll start paying more attention to the PC after seeing these stats. The controls are the worst.

You make it sound as if these stats are news to them, rather than them being aware of every single sale and for which platform.

If anything, they seem to have only learned that they can get users of a platform to beg for their game, release a very shoddy product which not only still sells well but gets fixed by the customers. They're either confused or more likely laughing their way to the bank. Great sales for crap ports, high profits low work, I'm sure that will teach a company.

They were even banning people with complaints on their forums, yup, they're learning all right.

7. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 13:30 Brumbek

6. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 11:32 Bundy

Hopefully they'll start paying more attention to the PC after seeing these stats. The controls are the worst.  

5. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 10:45 born2expire

4. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 10:32 jacobvandy

It just makes it that much more worth it when you finally beat that boss and loot his corpse!  

3. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 nin

Retired wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:55:
nin wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:40:
Not since Mike Tyson's Punchout and Ghost n' Goblins has a game frustrated me so....

That's precisely why I don't play this sort of game.

2. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 09:55 Retired

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:40:
and around 40 percent of these were sold for the PC platform

That's pretty impressive! Would not have guessed that...

waiting for the followup article
Dark Souls Sells 4M replacement controlers.

Not since Mike Tyson's Punchout and Ghost n' Goblins has a game frustrated me so....

1. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 09:40 nin

and around 40 percent of these were sold for the PC platform

That's pretty impressive! Would not have guessed that...

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >