Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Minecraft PC Sells > 20M

The Minecraft sales tracking page has word that the Windows/OS X edition of Mojang's sandbox construction game has now sold more than 20 million copies (thanks Gamasutra). Word is they moved over ten thousand copies in the past 24 hours to hit the milestone:
PC/Mac version

20,003,378 people have bought the game.

In the last 24 hours, 10,457 people bought the game.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 2, 2015, 16:15 Rigs

ItBurn wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:32:
NewMaxx wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:28:
The newest fad in these crafting type games is undeniably ARK. Despite the high demands of its engine it has already hit some impressive numbers.

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

Once it gets DX12 and SLI support (both supposedly in July), I'll probably get on board and run a server of my own.

I don't really like these types of games that have more akin to Day Z than Minecraft. You can't really affect the world. You just place more models on top of it. Plus they're usually more about PVP and less about survival, which I don't like so much. 7 Days to Die is probably the best of both worlds though. Robust survival and it's "cube" based(more like pyramids actually) like Minecraft, except with good graphics.

7DtD should be a no brainer for most survival nuts but for some reason it just doesn't grab me. I've tried, boy have I tried. But something is just missing. Personality could be one. The world is rather static. No NPC's except the zombies. Not trading, no end-game. Just pure survival and whatever you feel like building. Yes, you can affect the world and dig and whatnot, but unless you're building something, there's no real reason to. Is there a 'bottom' to the world, anyway? I never found one. And while the graphics are more 'realistic', they're kinda boring. Even with the new graphics engine...I dunno, it's just...dull... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 2, 2015, 16:11 Rigs

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:18:
Krowen wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:13:
People just say Minecraft is a fad because they're jealous of its success and bitter that they have no creative energy.

You are correct, Good Krowen!

Giggle Never gets old...

=-Rigs-=

30. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:32 ItBurn

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:28:
The newest fad in these crafting type games is undeniably ARK. Despite the high demands of its engine it has already hit some impressive numbers.

Once it gets DX12 and SLI support (both supposedly in July), I'll probably get on board and run a server of my own.

I don't really like these types of games that have more akin to Day Z than Minecraft. You can't really affect the world. You just place more models on top of it. Plus they're usually more about PVP and less about survival, which I don't like so much. 7 Days to Die is probably the best of both worlds though. Robust survival and it's "cube" based(more like pyramids actually) like Minecraft, except with good graphics.

29. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:28 NewMaxx

28. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:18 nin

Krowen wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:13:
People just say Minecraft is a fad because they're jealous of its success and bitter that they have no creative energy.

You are correct, Good Krowen!

27. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:13 Megalodon

26. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:01 ItBurn

Minecraft isn't a fad, or a shitty game that succeeded because of youtube popularity or hype. It's one of the best games I have ever played. Simply no other game has offered me a simulation where I can impact the world so much. I played hundreds of hours. And then I played 3 times that with mods. The mods are so crazy, adding hundreds of new items, locations and systems.

Minecraft deserves all the money and fame.

25. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 07:01 Pr()ZaC

Agrajag wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 06:33:
Windows/OS X

This is one case where "PC" is actually the more accurate term... PC Minecraft runs on Linux as well, not just Windows... Theoretically, it should run on any OS which has a Java port...
There's the possibility of porting the game to another engine. I'm sure Microsoft will screw it up somehow.

24. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 06:33 Agrajag

Windows/OS X

This is one case where "PC" is actually the more accurate term... PC Minecraft runs on Linux as well, not just Windows... Theoretically, it should run on any OS which has a Java port...

23. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 05:44 Ventura

NKD wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:52:
Anyway, this took me a good 15 minutes to put together, so I hope you enjoy.

He's not wrong about it being a fluke though, let's be honest. And to hate something just because it's successful, well, have we not all been guilty of that one?

For what it's worth, though, I bought Minecraft back when it was in alpha, and, considering the hours I put into it, the thing just might've been the best value for money purchase I ever made. I'll never play it again, though.

22. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 02:07 InBlack

NKD wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:52:
So I did a little footwork to provide some amusement for you all... I present to you, a case study in denial, Cutter & Minecraft! He's had such a hate boner for Minecraft since the very beginning. As we all know, there's nothing Cutter hates more than seeing something he doesn't like have any success at all.

He started out in full denial mode. I didn't search too hard so you can probably find posts where he talks about "wire fraud" and "lawsuits" somewhere during this period, his two favorite terms.

"Anyway, I still don't believe these numbers, probably because I'll never get the draw of this game."
-Cutter, January 21 2011, on Minecraft hitting 1 million sales.

"Really? I have a hard time believing this."
-Cutter, April 6 2011, on Minecraft reaching approximately $33 million in gross revenue.

"I really can't believe this thing has sold that much. And with no independent way to verify it, I'll continue on in that belief."
-Cutter, June 14 2011, on Minecraft hitting 2.5 million sales.

Then once the sales numbers and success become even too apparent for his fucked up brain to deny, he begins to believe everyone is buying it but no one is actually playing because the game is so shit.

"Given its price point how many people bought it simply because other people had it? What's the average continual play time of this game? How many people bought it and checked it out for a week and never touched it again?"
-Cutter, November 12 2012, on Minecraft hitting 8 million sales.

Fast forward to last year and Cutter thinks it's just a thing you have to have to be cool. I'll spare you the part of the post where he goes on about how he's always rebelled against what's popular because it's easy to go along with the mainstream.

"Minecraft is simply something people have to have to be part of the in-crowd. Like all theses sorts of one offs it's a fluke."
-Cutter, June 26 2014, Minecraft hitting an estimated 50 million sales across all platforms.

What harlock said. Why waste 15 minutes of your valuable time just to prove Cutter wrong. I mean wtf, this is Cutter we are talking about, it's not like his word is gospel around here

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 00:36 Xirix

I recently started playing Fortresscraft..looks a little bit like Minecraft but a different game. Just a tip.  

20. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 00:24 harlock

way too much free time  

19. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 23:52 NKD

So I did a little footwork to provide some amusement for you all... I present to you, a case study in denial, Cutter & Minecraft! He's had such a hate boner for Minecraft since the very beginning. As we all know, there's nothing Cutter hates more than seeing something he doesn't like have any success at all.

He started out in full denial mode. I didn't search too hard so you can probably find posts where he talks about "wire fraud" and "lawsuits" somewhere during this period, his two favorite terms.

"Anyway, I still don't believe these numbers, probably because I'll never get the draw of this game."
-Cutter, January 21 2011, on Minecraft hitting 1 million sales.

"Really? I have a hard time believing this."
-Cutter, April 6 2011, on Minecraft reaching approximately $33 million in gross revenue.

"I really can't believe this thing has sold that much. And with no independent way to verify it, I'll continue on in that belief."
-Cutter, June 14 2011, on Minecraft hitting 2.5 million sales.

Then once the sales numbers and success become even too apparent for his fucked up brain to deny, he begins to believe everyone is buying it but no one is actually playing because the game is so shit.

"Given its price point how many people bought it simply because other people had it? What's the average continual play time of this game? How many people bought it and checked it out for a week and never touched it again?"
-Cutter, November 12 2012, on Minecraft hitting 8 million sales.

Fast forward to last year and Cutter thinks it's just a thing you have to have to be cool. I'll spare you the part of the post where he goes on about how he's always rebelled against what's popular because it's easy to go along with the mainstream.

"Minecraft is simply something people have to have to be part of the in-crowd. Like all theses sorts of one offs it's a fluke."
-Cutter, June 26 2014, Minecraft hitting an estimated 50 million sales across all platforms.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2015, 00:55.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

18. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 22:34 Sepharo

Orogogus wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 21:21:
52M is less than Minecraft's combined 70M+. 30M on mobile, 20M on PC, 20M on Xbox 360 + One, unknown quantity on PS platforms.

Polygon link

Minecraft is just a meme. A 6 year, 70 million copies, spanning all ages, 2 billion dollar valuation, fad. Just like that CS fad and that Lego fad, or hell take a look at this Star Wars fad... Can you believe people actually like that? More like it's popular just because it's popular amirite?

17. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 21:32 NKD

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 21:16:
I ain't touching this casual garbage with a ten foot pole even if 20 million more buy this crap.

I guess that's similar to how women view you, so there's that.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

16. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 21:21 Orogogus

52M is less than Minecraft's combined 70M+. 30M on mobile, 20M on PC, 20M on Xbox 360 + One, unknown quantity on PS platforms.

Polygon link

15. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 21:16 CJ_Parker

I ain't touching this casual garbage with a ten foot pole even if 20 million more buy this crap.  

14. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 21:14 Silicon Avatar

Cool.

I played it a lot when it was pretty new and then one day I just sort of woke up and decided I never wanted to play again.

I guess I got it out of my system and was done.

It's neat that it's still going.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2015, 22:07.

13. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 20:11 Cutter

Kosumo wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 18:20:
No, I'm totally wrong! Top selling PC games

My apoligees Urk

That list is a massive pile of guesswork and leaves out a metric shit ton of stuff - GTA, COD, et al.

And even though it's including consoles, GTA5 has sold 52 million copies.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >