18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Jun 29, 2015, 03:41
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2015, 03:41
Jun 29, 2015, 03:41

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 03:38:
I find it pretty amazing how chilled Americans are... if my neighbor would shoot anything in my general direction I would call a SWAT on his ass within 10 seconds and claim he is a terrorist... just saying.

Not sure if sarcasm....well played, I think?
I have a nifty blue line!

Jun 29, 2015, 03:38
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2015, 03:38
Jun 29, 2015, 03:38

I find it pretty amazing how chilled Americans are... if my neighbor would shoot anything in my general direction I would call a SWAT on his ass within 10 seconds and claim he is a terrorist... just saying.

Jun 29, 2015, 00:02
NKD
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2015, 00:02
Jun 29, 2015, 00:02
NKD

For the love of christ, I hope no one is listening to Cutter when he acts like he knows what he's talking about on legal shit. I dropped out of law school and even I know 90% of the shit he says is pants-on-head retarded. None of this is new legal ground. People's shit has been ending up on other peoples property for centuries. Case law on the matter is fucking immense.

1) How much "air" above your house is your domain varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

2) Discharging a firearm runs you into the domain of a whole different set of circumstances regarding gun safety laws.

3) Destroying someone elses property, even assuming you've broken no CRIMINAL laws in doing so, leaves you open to CIVIL liability.

4) If sued you WILL lose unless you luck out with a judge or can show that you had to do it to protect your OWN body or property from damage. The judge/jury can decide whether your actions were reasonable, and if not, you're fucked.

You absolutely SHOULD NOT assume that if something crosses your property line that it magically becomes yours to do with as you please without consequence. Call a real lawyer who knows YOUR LOCAL LAWS. This guy lost $850 in small claims that he refuses to pay because he's a dumbass. It's not worth the trouble getting your credit fucked when he gets a lien put on your shit. Leave other peoples shit alone, even if it's mildly annoying.

Oh also, all legal stuff aside, be a fucking decent neighbor. Let them know you're going to be flying a fucking drone around. And also let your neighbor know they are annoying you BEFORE you blow their shit up.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2015, 00:37.
Judging the health of the economy based on your 401k is like judging the quality of your furniture based on your coffin.

Jun 28, 2015, 22:04
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 22:04
Jun 28, 2015, 22:04

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 21:31:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 18:11:
There's law and then there's having to live next to some who despises you.

For $800 it wasn't worth having a neighbor hate you IMO - not when you were flying a drone over his property. The entire thing could have been resolved with a request for permission.

The law was right - you can't just shoot crap when you don't know what it is. That's the height of stupidity and the first thing you learn not to do in gun training.

The dude flying the drone was still a goober. He crossed over an unspoken rule of country living.

He was flying it on his own property. Well, he said he was. Supposedly when it fell it landed 200 feet within the boundary on his side.

The drone was not outfitted with a camera. It did have GPS on it though, which showed it was never over the neighbor's property. The shooter destroyed the flyer's property on the flyer's own land. It never flew over the shooter's property at all. The law is unclear as to whether you can destroy drones that stray onto your land (I'm guessing not). It is clear when those drones are not on your land: it's destruction of property. The shooter has to pay, and he's lucky he's not charged with willful endangerment for discharging his weapon into his neighbor's property.

The shooter made a mistake, and is now doubling down. We'll see how that works out for him.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 28, 2015, 21:31
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 21:31
Jun 28, 2015, 21:31

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 18:11:

For $800 it wasn't worth having a neighbor hate you IMO - not when you were flying a drone over his property. The entire thing could have been resolved with a request for permission.

The law was right - you can't just shoot crap when you don't know what it is. That's the height of stupidity and the first thing you learn not to do in gun training.

The dude flying the drone was still a goober. He crossed over an unspoken rule of country living.

He was flying it on his own property. Well, he said he was. Supposedly when it fell it landed 200 feet within the boundary on his side.

Jun 28, 2015, 20:06
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 20:06
Jun 28, 2015, 20:06

Drone Owner:

I'm sorry, but I must insist on full payment for equipment you damaged, as you shot it when it was above my property. The aircraft's GPS data positions it clearly above our orchard. Additionally, the hexacopter crashed next to our driveway, ~203 feet (per Google Maps) from the dirt road that separates our respective properties.

I also dispute your characterization that I was "testing surveillance equipment." There was no camera on the hexacopter, and had a camera been mounted, the price for repairs would have been an extra $300. Just as you asked me to give the courtesy of notifying you of my flying activities, I also ask you the courtesy of not shooting live ammunition in our direction. This is the third time discharge from your firearms has hit our house and property. The first incident left a bullet hole in the door by our garage. The second incident occurred last Thanksgiving when birdshot from your skeet shooting activities rained into our backyard. The third, of course, being what we're currently discussing.

I'm hoping to resolve this in a civil manner. An entirely new rig would have cost $1500. Instead, I'm just asking that you pay for what you broke. Let me know if you wish to discuss further.

Assuming this letter is accurate this neighbor sounds like a complete asshole.

The first incident left a bullet hole in the door by our garage. The second incident occurred last Thanksgiving when birdshot from your skeet shooting activities rained into our backyard. The third, of course, being what we're currently discussing.

You don't think that warrants a response? The crazy fucks can't even safely fire their weapons without hitting this guys house for gods sake. It's not hard...

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2015, 20:11.

Jun 28, 2015, 18:39
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 18:39
Jun 28, 2015, 18:39

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 17:27:
Some of the comments cite some law or other that says 500 feet. And others make a good point when people say call the police or FAA instead of shooting it. Well, by the time they respond - if they do at all - it'll likely be gone. And then you'd actually have to find the operator if they did show up. Good luck with that without some sort of milspec equipment for triangulating originating vectors. So it's more than reasonable to shoot it down. You're permitted to physically eject people and things from your property and business, but in this case you can't physically get your hands on it so there isn't much choice but to shoot it down. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NRA and/or some ambitious lawyers jump on this and move it up to civil court. Yeah, one way or the other they need to start sorting this stuff out and fast.

This comment is wrong on so many levels its painful to read. Did your head hurt writing it? You can't just shoot at things in the sky even if they're above your property and the idea that waiting for the authorities takes too long so its ok to do whatever you want is even more ridiculous. Fucking facepalm.

Jun 28, 2015, 18:11
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 18:11
Jun 28, 2015, 18:11

Jun 28, 2015, 17:27
Cutter

Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 17:27
Jun 28, 2015, 17:27
 Cutter

Some of the comments cite some law or other that says 500 feet. And others make a good point when people say call the police or FAA instead of shooting it. Well, by the time they respond - if they do at all - it'll likely be gone. And then you'd actually have to find the operator if they did show up. Good luck with that without some sort of milspec equipment for triangulating originating vectors. So it's more than reasonable to shoot it down. You're permitted to physically eject people and things from your property and business, but in this case you can't physically get your hands on it so there isn't much choice but to shoot it down. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NRA and/or some ambitious lawyers jump on this and move it up to civil court. Yeah, one way or the other they need to start sorting this stuff out and fast.

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Jun 28, 2015, 16:31
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 16:31
Jun 28, 2015, 16:31

Malachii wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 15:54:
Probably a stupid question, but as a property owner, how "far" up and down do you "own" or is considered your private space?

Certainly nobody is saying a satellite is ok to shoot down even though they can take video and pictures of your house.

"While the Supreme Court hasn't explicitly accepted that as the upper limit of property ownership, it's a useful guideline in trespass cases. Therefore, unless you own some very tall buildings, your private airspace probably ends somewhere between 80 and 500 feet above the ground."

Obviously this needs addressed and if something is withing your airspace what can you do about it? If it is a drone are you allowed to attack it?

Jun 28, 2015, 15:54
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 15:54
Jun 28, 2015, 15:54

Probably a stupid question, but as a property owner, how "far" up and down do you "own" or is considered your private space?

Certainly nobody is saying a satellite is ok to shoot down even though they can take video and pictures of your house.

Jun 28, 2015, 15:38
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 15:38
Jun 28, 2015, 15:38

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 15:18:
"I thought it was a CIA surveillance device."

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of beer when I read that. I may be searching Amazon for a replacement monitor. That shit was funny.

As JeffD alluded to, this guy states it like duh, "If it were CIA drone that would be totally ok for me to do.", that would be the absolute worst case if it were a gov't controlled drone. The dude would have been anal probed behind bars for doing that, good thing for him it was a civilian drone.

Jun 28, 2015, 15:18
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 15:18
Jun 28, 2015, 15:18

"I thought it was a CIA surveillance device."

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of beer when I read that. I may be searching Amazon for a replacement monitor. That shit was funny.

People don't realize how some laws work... in California. You can't even trim your neighbors tree that is hanging over your property line without their permission.

Jun 28, 2015, 14:33
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 14:33
Jun 28, 2015, 14:33

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 13:58:
If there's no demarcation separating the properties perhaps it appeared it was over his property. In which case, have at it. You can bet if I ever see a drone so much as hovering 'around' my property then I'm just going to happen to be shooting in that direction and if that drone gets hit too bad for who owns it.

The laws need to be clear yesterday on this. We have a whole reckoning coming with this camera everywhere stuff, something will have to give.

And Amazon still testing drone delivery in CA and So-Cal, even if not shot at, safely landing every time has to be out of the question. They even are saying to your current location, on a sidewalk... how can a drone with spinners and public just think it can land anywhere it chooses?

Jun 28, 2015, 14:30
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 14:30
Jun 28, 2015, 14:30

Could read the comments in that article all day.

Jun 28, 2015, 13:58
Cutter

Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 13:58
Jun 28, 2015, 13:58
 Cutter

It's hard to say without seeing where the drone was shot down. If there's no demarcation separating the properties perhaps it appeared it was over his property. In which case, have at it. You can bet if I ever see a drone so much as hovering 'around' my property then I'm just going to happen to be shooting in that direction and if that drone gets hit too bad for who owns it. People have a natural right to defend themselves and that includes from peeping toms in the bushes or using drones. Want to fly a drone? Fine do it an approved public space or keep it well away from anyone else's property.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Jun 28, 2015, 11:37
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 11:37
Jun 28, 2015, 11:37

I love how he justified his shooting cause he thought it was a cia drone. No sir.. if it was a cia drone your ass would be in jail for destruction of gov property and your court date 2 years out.

Jun 28, 2015, 11:23
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 11:23
Jun 28, 2015, 11:23

What a dick. 200ft onto your neighbors property and you take a shot at it? Hope thus guy has to do more than pay for the repairs.
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older