GeForce Driver Hotfix

NVIDIA now offers new version 353.38 hotfix drivers for GeForce graphics cards. These do not seem to be WHQL-certified, so those not experiencing the problems these address may want to hold out for now, something NVIDIA notes in their announcement. Word is these address Chrome crashes, freezes, and TDRs as well as delays when starting or switching apps and games with GSYNC enabled. Thanks DSOGaming.
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix
Jun 28, 2015, 19:00
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 19:00
Jun 28, 2015, 19:00

Rigs wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 18:50:
Edit: From the admittedly little I've really dug into it, the Fury X doesn't have Crossfire support right now anyway, which would explain why it had so much trouble.

Oh the FuryX does support crossfire (at least on paper and also in practice sometimes). It just seems to have a lot of random issues at the moment. That's the scary part about it. The randomness. There is nothing worse with hardware than sporadic or random issues that you can't really track down to a common denominator.

Jun 28, 2015, 18:50
Rigs

Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 18:50
Jun 28, 2015, 18:50
 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 18:26:
Rigs wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 17:23:
The FURY X (i'm waiting for the Nano, personally) isn't all about pure speed, which is pretty much the only thing you green tossers care about. It has a 4096-bit memory interface! What's the 980 got? 256-bit. Blech! HBM memory is going to wipe the floor with Nvidia this go 'round and they know it which is why they're abandoning GDDR for it too!

Ummm... so you are using special applications (it can't be games because the memory bandwidth is not that significant for gaming) that require this kind of memory throughput? Which apps would that be?

There is a reason why nVidia has not been using HBM yet. It's limiting (4GB is max right now) and expensive. nVidia are smart cookies. They will be using HBM when it's ready for prime time and are not going to deliver an undercooked tech demo like AMD.

The Fury is a weak sauce GPU. Its performance barely matches GTX 980Ti in select benchmarks but mostly it trails behind on GTX 980 level while the price is the same as the Ti.
The 4GB memory does become limiting in higher res scenarios.
Many of the review samples have suffered from both, coil and water pump whining. AMD has *supposedly* addressed the pump whine but reports of the first retail cards indicate that the issue has only been reduced, not eliminated.
Example video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-nYJLiEh0
Overclocking is a no show. It's very limited even though the card stays cool. The limitation seems to be within the architecture which does not allow voltage increases. A fully overclocked 980Ti is running circles around FuryX.
According to some mags, the card does not work in conjunction with certain Asus boards (Z87 chipset). One mag tried testing FuryX in crossfire and it resulted in crashes and black screens. It didn't even boot.
Power efficiency has become better but is still no match for nVidia Maxwell.
Finally, even though relatively minor niggles, but no DVI and no HDMI 2.0 outputs is pretty weak, too.

You are aware I was over-reacting on purpose, yes? Thanks for the HardOCP read though, I haven't gotten over there yet to read about it. I'm still holding out for a Nano anyway. It's just so cute...

Edit: From the admittedly little I've really dug into it, the Fury X doesn't have Crossfire support right now anyway, which would explain why it had so much trouble. The system I'm building is based on the X99-chipset so I'm not all that concerned about Z87 performance issues. Of course, that's just me, obviously the market is not geared to just my whims (yet) ...

=-Rigs-=

Jun 28, 2015, 17:58
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 17:58
Jun 28, 2015, 17:58

Caslon wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 06:19:
YES! My Chrome browser has been freezing up just lately for no reason. Has anyone installed this fix and found it fixed the problem?

I have installed them and so far they are working just fine, no more netflix lockups since

Jun 28, 2015, 08:11
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 08:11
Jun 28, 2015, 08:11

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 23:50:
team green was only another way of saying nvidia, an attempt at being less repetitive; sandy vagina much?

Sorry it was just my anecdotal evidence of immature among video card buyers! Anecdotal!

Jun 28, 2015, 06:19
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 06:19
Jun 28, 2015, 06:19

YES! My Chrome browser has been freezing up just lately for no reason. Has anyone installed this fix and found it fixed the problem?

Jun 28, 2015, 00:35
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 00:35
Jun 28, 2015, 00:35

Nvidia's driver releases have been absolute dogshit for sometime now.

Jun 27, 2015, 23:50
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 23:50
Jun 27, 2015, 23:50

Krowen wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 21:37:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 15:40:
My anecdotal evidence is my R9 290 has has ZERO driver issues with every single game i've tried.
Yet I only find thread after thread of bashing AMD cards.

How hard is it to understand that other people might have their own anecdotal evidence that contradicts yours? It's not like its difficult to find evidence of AMD driver problems on the internet. Do you think everyone is just making it up or that every single person how somehow misconfigured their machine? Team green? What the fuck is that? Fucking gamers think like kids.

Arkhams Razor - the simplest explanation is that AMD has crappy drivers and some people have problems with them. No one said Nvidia was perfect either genius.

team green was only another way of saying nvidia, an attempt at being less repetitive; sandy vagina much?

Jun 27, 2015, 23:00
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 23:00
Jun 27, 2015, 23:00

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 12:56:
I've had no issues at all, keeping my drivers up to date with each release. So I guess my anecdotal evidence counter-balances yours.
If you'd visited the forums you'd know that this is a well-known issue. I never claimed that everyone was affected. All I said was that I've been having major problems for numerous driver releases now and that nVidia drivers aren't what they used to be.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

No subject
Jun 27, 2015, 22:24
No subject Jun 27, 2015, 22:24
Jun 27, 2015, 22:24

z3razerviper wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 14:36:
This has been a problem for me with all the 35x series drivers and NOW are fixing it almost 2 to months later....I am kinda annoyed at this point.

More like it's been an on-going problem since the 320 drivers, just varying degrees of TDR problems for most.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jun 27, 2015, 21:37
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 21:37
Jun 27, 2015, 21:37

My anecdotal evidence is my R9 290 has has ZERO driver issues with every single game i've tried.

How hard is it to understand that other people might have their own anecdotal evidence that contradicts yours? It's not like its difficult to find evidence of AMD driver problems on the internet. Do you think everyone is just making it up or that every single person how somehow misconfigured their machine? Team green? What the fuck is that? Fucking gamers think like kids.

Arkhams Razor - the simplest explanation is that AMD has crappy drivers and some people have problems with them. No one said Nvidia was perfect either genius.

Jun 27, 2015, 20:06
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 20:06
Jun 27, 2015, 20:06

The only issue I have had recently with Nvidia has been the last twwo driver revisions were having hard driver crashes on the 980GTXs...which seem to occur because the fans weren't operating correctly or something, which meant the card heated up faster than the fans were spooling and resulted in a sudden down-voltage of the card to compensate, or something...

Since the Arkham Knight-ready release, I've not had any issues.

Jun 27, 2015, 18:26
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 18:26
Jun 27, 2015, 18:26

The FURY X (i'm waiting for the Nano, personally) isn't all about pure speed, which is pretty much the only thing you green tossers care about. It has a 4096-bit memory interface! What's the 980 got? 256-bit. Blech! HBM memory is going to wipe the floor with Nvidia this go 'round and they know it which is why they're abandoning GDDR for it too!

Ummm... so you are using special applications (it can't be games because the memory bandwidth is not that significant for gaming) that require this kind of memory throughput? Which apps would that be?

There is a reason why nVidia has not been using HBM yet. It's limiting (4GB is max right now) and expensive. nVidia are smart cookies. They will be using HBM when it's ready for prime time and are not going to deliver an undercooked tech demo like AMD.

The Fury is a weak sauce GPU. Its performance barely matches GTX 980Ti in select benchmarks but mostly it trails behind on GTX 980 level while the price is the same as the Ti.
The 4GB memory does become limiting in higher res scenarios.
Many of the review samples have suffered from both, coil and water pump whining. AMD has *supposedly* addressed the pump whine but reports of the first retail cards indicate that the issue has only been reduced, not eliminated.
Example video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-nYJLiEh0
Overclocking is a no show. It's very limited even though the card stays cool. The limitation seems to be within the architecture which does not allow voltage increases. A fully overclocked 980Ti is running circles around FuryX.
According to some mags, the card does not work in conjunction with certain Asus boards (Z87 chipset). One mag tried testing FuryX in crossfire and it resulted in crashes and black screens. It didn't even boot.
Power efficiency has become better but is still no match for nVidia Maxwell.
Finally, even though relatively minor niggles, but no DVI and no HDMI 2.0 outputs is pretty weak, too.

Or as HARDOCP put it...
The new AMD Fiji GPU and Fury X video card looks awesome on paper, but has underwhelmed and disappointed us when it comes to real world gameplay. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X feels like a proof of concept for HBM technology.

In terms of gaming performance, the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X seems like better competition for the GeForce GTX 980 4GB video card, rather than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. GTX 980 cards are selling for as low at $490 today. This is not a good thing since the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is priced at $649, the same price as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

(Editor's Note: AMD's Fury X is starting to show up at Amazon and Newegg this morning.)

Usually trying to decide between two video cards at the same price point is a wash, with very even and split performance. However, this is not the case this time with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and GeForce GTX 980 Ti. There is a definite pattern that leads to one video card being the best value for the money, and it is GeForce GTX 980 Ti, not the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.

Limited VRAM for a flagship $649 video card, sub-par gaming performance for the price, and limited display support options with no HDMI 2.0 and no DVI port. To be honest, we aren't entirely sure who the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is really built for? The AMD Radeon Fury X is a confusing product, like a technology demo not fully realized, a showcase for HBM only but with no real substance. The AMD Radeon Fury X looks to be a great marketing showcase, but its prowess starts waning when you consider its value to gamers and hardware enthusiasts.

Discussion

**Update 6/26/2015 On Overclocking**

Preliminary Overclocking

We've had some time now to do some preliminary overclocking with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. We have found that you can control the speed of the fan on the radiator with MSI Afterburner. Turning it up to 100% fan speed keeps the GPU much cooler when attempting to overclock, and isn't that loud.

For example, during our overclocking attempts the GPU was at 37c at full-load removing temperature as a factor holding back overclocking. We also found out that you will not be able to overclock HBM, it is at 500MHz and will stay at 500MHz. You will only be able to overclock the GPU. Currently, there is no way to unlock voltage modification of the GPU.

In our testing we found that the GPU hard locked in gaming at 1150MHz 100% fan speed 37c. Moving down to 1140MHz we were able to play The Witcher 3 without crashing so far. This is with the fan at 100% and 37c degree GPU. So far, 1140MHz seems to be stable, but we have not tested other games nor tested the overclock for a prolonged amount of time.

More testing needs to be done, but our preliminary testing seems to indicate 1130-1140MHz may be the overclock. This is about a 70-80MHz overclock over stock speed of 1050MHz. That is a rather small increase in overclock and doesn't really amount to any gameplay experience or noteworthy performance improvements.

We have at least learned that temperature is not the factor holding the overclock back, at 37c there was a lot of headroom with the liquid cooling system. There are other factors holding the overclock back, one of which may be voltage.

Jun 27, 2015, 17:59
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 17:59
Jun 27, 2015, 17:59

Timmeh wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 10:43:
WTF Nvidiots of Bluesnews.. this *never* happens!

You're 100% correct AMDn00b of Bluesnews. I refuse to use shitty spyware like Chrome and have had zero issues with these or any other nVidia drivers in the past couple of years. Might be impossible to believe for the troubled AMD crowd but with nVidia shit just works, ya know?

^ At least with single GPU systems. I will admit that SLI and Surround may be a different story but then again Crossfire and Infinity is just as crappy as AMD's sad single GPU support so in the end nVidia is still the lesser evil for multi GPU, too.

Jun 27, 2015, 17:54
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 17:54
Jun 27, 2015, 17:54

disclaimer: I have had both AMD and Nvidia cards over the years, I have no allegiance to either. Just a few days ago I ordered an 980Ti based off of the latest benchmarks showing that the Fury X does not in fact wipe the floor with the green team

Links or it didn't happen...

The FURY X (i'm waiting for the Nano, personally) isn't all about pure speed, which is pretty much the only thing you green tossers care about. It has a 4096-bit memory interface! What's the 980 got? 256-bit. Blech! HBM memory is going to wipe the floor with Nvidia this go 'round and they know it which is why they're abandoning GDDR for it too! The FURY X is the first step to AMD's (or a resurgent ATI possibly, if the spinoff rumors are true) video card domination... *evil laugh*

=-Rigs-=

980 Ti has 384-bit memory, but still, the way you're getting moist over that one figure implies you think jumping to 4096-bit correlates with a proportional increase in performance... It doesn't. It's a gimmick. The Fury X has 512 GB/s memory bandwidth compared to the 980 Ti's 336 GB/s, and it still barely keeps up.

Jun 27, 2015, 17:23
Rigs

Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 17:23
Jun 27, 2015, 17:23
 Rigs

disclaimer: I have had both AMD and Nvidia cards over the years, I have no allegiance to either. Just a few days ago I ordered an 980Ti based off of the latest benchmarks showing that the Fury X does not in fact wipe the floor with the green team

Links or it didn't happen...

The FURY X (i'm waiting for the Nano, personally) isn't all about pure speed, which is pretty much the only thing you green tossers care about. It has a 4096-bit memory interface! What's the 980 got? 256-bit. Blech! HBM memory is going to wipe the floor with Nvidia this go 'round and they know it which is why they're abandoning GDDR for it too! The FURY X is the first step to AMD's (or a resurgent ATI possibly, if the spinoff rumors are true) video card domination... *evil laugh*

=-Rigs-=

Jun 27, 2015, 15:40
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 15:40
Jun 27, 2015, 15:40

Jun 27, 2015, 15:39
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 15:39
Jun 27, 2015, 15:39

Witcher 3 is still a bit crashy so hopefully this helps.
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Jun 27, 2015, 15:15
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 15:15
Jun 27, 2015, 15:15

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 12:56:
I've had no issues at all, keeping my drivers up to date with each release. So I guess my anecdotal evidence counter-balances yours.

I add to this anecdotal evidence.. updating to all new releases and 0 problems so far, hell even IWD2 still runs fine

Jun 27, 2015, 14:36
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 14:36
Jun 27, 2015, 14:36

This has been a problem for me with all the 35x series drivers and NOW are fixing it almost 2 to months later....I am kinda annoyed at this point.

Jun 27, 2015, 13:00
Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 13:00
Jun 27, 2015, 13:00

Timmeh wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 10:43:
WTF Nvidiots of Bluesnews.. this *never* happens!

Oh, it happens. But again, games generally run better on Nvidia cards. That's why I use them.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older