Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Dirty Bomb Trailer

This video is the E3 trailer for Dirty Bomb, titled "Scrubs," which offers a cinematic look at Splash Damage's first-person shooter that recently entered open beta testing. Here's word on the clip, which includes no gameplay: "This week during E3, Nexon America premiered a brand new trailer for Dirty Bomb, the hardcore first-person PC shooter from UK developer Splash Damage. The action-filled Dirty Bomb E3 Trailer focuses on teamwork and features the brand-new Mercenary, Phantom, and highlights the unique abilities of other playable Mercs in the game including Rhino, Fletcher, Kira, and Sparks."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 02:52 shiho

Did you doubt it as well when Valve rewrote most of Carmack's Quake codebase while making Half-Life?

'cause dem software developers, yeah...

Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 02:49:
shihonage wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 01:40:
In the face of evidence contradicting to your viewpoint, attack the source.

Yawn-zies.

I said it was a good article. They definitely worked on and changed a bunch of stuff. But as a software developer, the rewrote every part bit is funny to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 02:49 Sepharo

shihonage wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 01:40:

Yawn-zies.

I said it was a good article. They definitely worked on and changed a bunch of stuff. But as a software developer, the rewrote every part bit is funny to me.

20. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 01:40 shiho

Yawn-zies.

19. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 01:25 Sepharo

shihonage wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 16:25:
It's pretty clear from the article that they ended up rewriting every part of the engine in a major way [...]

Software engineers tend to exaggerate this kind of stuff, especially when speaking to a layperson

18. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 16:25 shiho

It's pretty clear from the article that they ended up rewriting every part of the engine in a major way, and the implications toward networking being ignored from this process are nonsense.

You have a lot of theory clouding your mind, while Titanfall in reality IS more responsive than TF2, and Dirty Bomb's netcode IS better than netcode of another recent UE game like Tribes. It can be felt.

Tribes DOES suffer from a lot of networking nonsense, and its netcode is RIDDLED with exploitable bugs, inconsistent performance on different machines, etc etc. But that's just Hi-Rez. Hi-Rez couldn't even make bullets draw at ping-aligned distances, hackers had to fix that for them.

descender wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 10:02:
That article is from like 2 days after release, back when they were still lying through their teeth about their "cloud processing" and some other features that we now know were not actually implemented in any meaningful way to Titanfall.

in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there

That is exactly how much I am willing to believe they improved the "latency" in source, "a frame". They are not actually talking about networking latency there anyway. I believe they attempted to improve "input latency" since they were artificially locking themselves in to using triple-buffering, but actually altering the netcode? No way. Nothing specific mentioned and nothing else they claimed about the games revamped technology really turned out to be relevant in action.

I think there is more of a confusion of terms here than anything else. "Latency" has many factors, not limited to but including the netcode. The netcode controls hit-detection, and hit-detection works WAY better in source than most other engines (frostbite being the main competitor). So... maybe that's what I should have actually said. Frostbite does server based hit-detection, which is why you can get shot after you've already safely reached cover. This never happens in a source game.

Yes, I understand Frostbite has more to keep track of but no, I don't think that excuses them from trying to track more things than they can actually handle because they are basically using full server-side hit detection (like planetside2 did) and that is the worst™. IMO there is nothing more frustrating in MP FPS than the server telling you something different than what you see on your screen.

EDIT: Dirty Bomb runs on the Unreal engine, which has the worst possible netcode and latency issues of the 3 main options. I do appreciate the article though, it was an interesting read. Thank you.

17. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 10:02 descender

That article is from like 2 days after release, back when they were still lying through their teeth about their "cloud processing" and some other features that we now know were not actually implemented in any meaningful way to Titanfall.

in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there

That is exactly how much I am willing to believe they improved the "latency" in source, "a frame". They are not actually talking about networking latency there anyway. I believe they attempted to improve "input latency" since they were artificially locking themselves in to using triple-buffering, but actually altering the netcode? No way. Nothing specific mentioned and nothing else they claimed about the games revamped technology really turned out to be relevant in action.

I think there is more of a confusion of terms here than anything else. "Latency" has many factors, not limited to but including the netcode. The netcode controls hit-detection, and hit-detection works WAY better in source than most other engines (frostbite being the main competitor). So... maybe that's what I should have actually said. Frostbite does server based hit-detection, which is why you can get shot after you've already safely reached cover. This never happens in a source game.

Yes, I understand Frostbite has more to keep track of but no, I don't think that excuses them from trying to track more things than they can actually handle because they are basically using full server-side hit detection (like planetside2 did) and that is the worst™. IMO there is nothing more frustrating in MP FPS than the server telling you something different than what you see on your screen.

EDIT: Dirty Bomb runs on the Unreal engine, which has the worst possible netcode and latency issues of the 3 main options. I do appreciate the article though, it was an interesting read. Thank you.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2015, 10:08.

16. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 00:23 Sepharo

That's a great article thanks.  

15. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 22:31 shiho

Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:52:
shihonage wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:35:
Titanfall actually had to rewrite Source networking stack to make fast-paced multiplayer work.

This interests me greatly... but doing some quick googling has returned nothing.
Do you happen to know where you learned this from?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-tech-interview

"Client-side, Respawn has based Titanfall on the Source engine, but it has effectively been re-built from the ground up. In our last Respawn interview, producer Drew McCoy said that "I hate to say that it's the Source Engine" because so much had changed. From our experience with the beta, we saw a piece of technology significantly transformed. Source was never particularly well-threaded, and there was no DirectX 11 support. More than that, the tech simply wasn't built for the kind of ultra-low latency feedback that the erstwhile Infinity Ward team members demand from a satisfying shooter."

"A lot of the work was making the engine multi-threaded. The original Source engine had a main thread that built up a command buffer for the render thread and there was a frame of delay. We kind of changed that so the render thread buffered commands as soon as they were issued - in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there. And then almost every system has been made multi-threaded at this point. The networking is multi-threaded, the particle simulation is multi-threaded. The animation is multi-threaded - I could go on forever. The culling, the gathering of objects we're going to render is multi-threaded. It's across as many cores as you have."

14. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 17:30 Mordecai Walfish

descender wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 10:28:
laggy and imprecise like TF2
not suitable for fast-paced gameplay

You must play games on some other planet. Source has the most consistent and solid netcode in the business.

I really don't understand that comment at all lol... Frostbite has the most horrible netcode (shoot 3 feet behind your enemy to continue) in existence and I don't know what other "fast paced" multiplayer FPS engine you could be referring to. UE3 didn't even attempt lag compensation.

On topic: Dirty bomb looks to be about as generic as it could be. Both games are pretty blatant TF2 rip-offs, and neither of them are going to be very successful.

Dirty bomb is not even close to a TF2 rip-off. Some chars are faster, some chars are slower, some chars heal/revive, there are team based objectives.. that's about as close to TF2 as it goes. The netcode does feel extremely good. Better than source I have to agree.

13. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 16:52 Sepharo

shihonage wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:35:
Titanfall actually had to rewrite Source networking stack to make fast-paced multiplayer work.

This interests me greatly... but doing some quick googling has returned nothing.
Do you happen to know where you learned this from?

12. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 16:35 shiho

descender wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 10:28:

You must play games on some other planet. Source has the most consistent and solid netcode in the business.

I really don't understand that comment at all lol... Frostbite has the most horrible netcode (shoot 3 feet behind your enemy to continue) in existence and I don't know what other "fast paced" multiplayer FPS engine you could be referring to. UE3 didn't even attempt lag compensation.

On topic: Dirty bomb looks to be about as generic as it could be. Both games are pretty blatant TF2 rip-offs, and neither of them are going to be very successful.

Quake Wars, my friend. Quake Wars had amazing netcode.

TF2 always handled about as precise as WoW combat to me. Overwatch looks similar.

It's been a while since I bothered with TF2, but did it really have objective-based gameplay?

Is objective-based gameplay considered "generic"? Are there more objective-based competitive FPS out there that are solidly built, of which I am unaware?

Dirty Bomb's level design is created from years of experience, so are the abilities of characters, many of which are taken from Quake Wars.

UE has pretty bad netcode by default (as evidenced by Tribes), but then again, HiRez is a half-assed company, and Splash Damage clearly went through a lot of effort to make the netcode work.

They lack cheat protection at the moment, which is unfortunate, but the netcode has quite a good "feel".

11. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 10:28 descender

10. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 07:27 shiho

Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 07:03:
Overwatch looks a lot more interesting than this. More interesting weapons, more interesting abilities, more interesting traversal.

Replace "interesting" with "wacky" for increased truth factor.

Overwatch looks like an overdesigned gimmick which is gonna handle laggy and imprecise like TF2, because both Source engine and Blizzard's next-gen MMO engine are not suitable for fast-paced gameplay.

9. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 07:03 Jerykk

Overwatch looks a lot more interesting than this. More interesting weapons, more interesting abilities, more interesting traversal.  

8. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 16:22 shiho

Tribes: Ascend is dead and full of hax. I say this as a former level 50.

Dirty Bomb is the only contender on the market, and they were created by makers of Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, my favorite online FPS of all time.

It is unfortunate that Quake Wars, 8 years ago, had far better visuals, and 3x the depth and content of Dirty Bomb, but beggars can't be choosers.

I hope Splash Damage succeeds with this title, because they know how to make this sort of game. Their cards system is a clusterfuck, but once you get past it, they have a real game underneath.

7. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 09:21 nin

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 05:31:
Been playing a bit of this too lately and it is a decent team based objective shooter,

Wow, that's the first positive thing I've read...

but there is literally nothing that stands out and makes it special in any way, IMO.

Nevermind!

6. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 05:31 Mordecai Walfish

Been playing a bit of this too lately and it is a decent team based objective shooter, but there is literally nothing that stands out and makes it special in any way, IMO. The f2p system seems legit with the amount you get from battles/objectives/1st match/1st win being decent enough to buy a new character from the roster every couple weeks if you play somewhat regularly. So far I like proxy, with the stub shottie and mines with a machine pistol as a side arm.. and that mobility is ridiculous. Tiny hitbox and lightning quick.  

5. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 00:29 Quinn

I really like the game. It's basically Enemy Territory in a new coat. Even the voice commands are the same as back then. I still know these commands by heart so I that's awesome!

V21 Medic!
V22 I need ammo!
V31 Follow me!
V43 Thanks!
V44 you're welcome!
V55 Bye!
V57 Whoohoo!

Fuck yeah xD

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

4. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 00:00 McJammiepants

bigspender wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 19:35:
You know what I do with these trailers? I spend about 3 seconds looking at the youtube play bar at the bottom of the video to see if it contains any gameplay. And then I close it down.

Hahaha.. that's exactly what I did just before scrolling down to read the comments.

3. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 22:40 ColoradoHoudini

I play on the regular (level 6 or 7 I guess), and I rather enjoy the game. It takes a good team to enjoy the game, and I found that with 8vs8 it's a MUCH better game than 7v7 or god forbid 6v6.

When youre playing with pubs, it's important to have a large player pool per team just so you're likely better off - with hoping for a few good players amongst the morons.

The game can be VERY frustrating though, so you need to take your time and not run and gun rambo style. I only like one Merc so far (Fragger)..and whenever he's no longer free to play (on rotation), that's when I'll reevaluate this title to see if it's worth a few bucks from me.

So far, I do like it.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >