Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Battlezone Return Plans

The Battlezone website reveals that Rebellion has plans for a new game in the Battlezone series after picking up the IP a couple of years ago in an Atari fire sale (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun via nin). The Official E3 Reveal Trailer shows off the history of the series that started as a wireframe arcade shooter before spawning action/strategy hybrids, and highlights the original game's VR legacy. The new game will support VR, as the announcement notes the PS4 version will support the Project Morpheus headset. This is currently planned for PC and PS4, with other platform announcements will follow. Here's word:
Independent UK developer Rebellion reveals its stunning reboot of Battlezone at the E3 show floor. Designed for the next generation of virtual reality devices, Battlezone (working title) delivers intense first-person tank warfare across gorgeous neon landscapes, combining the instant adrenaline of the arcade with a deeper tactical challenge. Powered by Rebellion's next-gen Asura engine, Battlezone is confirmed for Sony's Project Morpheus on PlayStation 4 and for PC. Other platforms are to be confirmed.

Battlezone is a bold homage to Atari's classic 1980 arcade game, widely regarded as the forefather of virtual reality gaming with its distinctive periscope display. 35 years on, Rebellion directors Jason and Chris Kingsley are thrilled to reignite the beloved series for a new generation of players:

"When the original Battlezone came out in 1980 - long before we were developing games - Chris and I were among the many who made up its loyal arcade following," said Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley. "When we acquired the Battlezone rights two years ago we almost had to pinch ourselves! It really was a dream come true, so it's our aim to deliver the same revolutionary thrill of the original for a whole new generation. We want to use VR to truly capture the imagination of today's gamers, just as the original Battlezone captured ours."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 17, 2015, 22:04 Hudson187

I was hoping for a remake/sequel to the late 90's ones as well. However, the develops for those have continued to update the games so they are playable on modern systems with widescreen/res enhancements. I recently just played through the USA campaign of part 1 -- check them out. You can download BZ 1 and its expansion for free, however you need the retail of BZ2 for the patch.

http://www.battlezone1.com/

http://matesfamily.org/bz2/

Also, the Uprising games are like BZ, but I don't think there is a digital release of them... yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 17, 2015, 08:40 nin

InBlack wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 02:47:
Yeah goddamn them. Fuck you Rebellion, your last good game was AvP1.

Sniper Elite v2 wasn't bad.

19. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 17, 2015, 02:47 InBlack

Yeah goddamn them. Fuck you Rebellion, your last good game was AvP1.  

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 21:00 jdreyer

[url=][/url]
Osc8r wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 18:44:
This is NOT the battlezone remake i was looking for

This is not your father's Battlezone, but it might be your grandfather's.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

17. I guess I am not the only one that had my hopes dashed. Jun 16, 2015, 19:41 Rifter

Click on the link, with my hopes skyrocketing, to have my hopes dashed in the neon glow of this... *sigh* I, too, would love to see a new Battlezone. I'd love it to be more like BZ1, than BZ2.  

16. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 18:44 Osc8r

This is NOT the battlezone remake i was looking for  

15. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 18:37 Grumpy Sod

Parias wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 16:04:

You want Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. Narrated by Tom Baker, no less!

And one of the female AIs is voiced by one of Blake's Seven. The game was truly awesome back in the day and still just as awesome when I bought it on GoG last year.

14. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 18:14 edaciousx

Wasnt uprising the same thing as battlezone?  

13. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 18:11 JTW

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:43:
Yeah, this is disappointing. I get what they're going for, but it's not working for me at all.

Has their every been a game that followed up on the hybrid FPS/RTS model that the late 90s Battlezones implemented so well? There have been tower defense versions, like Orcs Must Die, but nothing with the kind of open world freedom that 1998 Battlezone had.

Hostile Waters was great. There aren't many FPS/RTS hybrids, but there are a few other 'direct control' RTS games (which is what Hostile Waters was.) Sacrifice and the Spellforce series come to mind. Not all were great, but there are some options.

12. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 16:35 jdreyer

Yeah, this is disappointing. I get what they're going for, but it's not working for me at all.

Has their every been a game that followed up on the hybrid FPS/RTS model that the late 90s Battlezones implemented so well? There have been tower defense versions, like Orcs Must Die, but nothing with the kind of open world freedom that 1998 Battlezone had.

Thanks! I see it's on GoG.

11. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 16:04 Parias

10. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 16:03 Cutter

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:08:
Right there with you guys. I clicked on the trailer link with stars shining in my eyes. Instead of moonbases and cold war hovertanks I get the Lawnmower Man?

Ha! Lawnmower Man! Nice one, Centurion, like it, like it.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

9. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 15:54 Bard

most underrated RTS of all time. battlezone was great.

8. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 15:39 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:08:
Right there with you guys. I clicked on the trailer link with stars shining in my eyes. Instead of moonbases and cold war hovertanks I get the Lawnmower Man?

Hahaha. Perfect encapsulation.

Were there any games made after Battlezone '98 that imitated that game play?

7. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 15:11 LanikTnt

Right there with you guys. I loved the hybrid RTS/action game.  

6. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 14:15 JTW

I was so excited when I saw the headline, and so disappointed when I saw what they were doing with it.

Also: Battlezone was one of my favorite arcade games, but it was not the father of VR gaming. It was the father of looking at a screen through a small plastic window.

5. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 14:08 Primalchrome

4. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 13:43 jdreyer

3. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 13:04 Parias

Damn, I was really hoping for a follow-up to the action/RTS hybrid versions of the game as well - the ones which had an actual storyline to them and extremely cool gameplay.

Maybe one of these days...

I might check this out, but pretty disappointed so far.

2. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 12:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

PHJF wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 12:18:
Boo, was expecting a followup to 1998 Battlezone

Yeah, what the hell is this rehash of an ancient game?

Battlezone 1 and 2, the RTS/FPS hybrids, were so great! Unfortunately I can only assume they are still in some sort of abandoned legal gordian knot, never again to see the light of day. They aren't even on gog.com yet, although there was a 'free' Battlezone 2 project last time I checked.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >