Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jun 17, 2015, 06:58
Jaxx

Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 17, 2015, 06:58
Jun 17, 2015, 06:58
 Jaxx

Ratty wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:39:

Comcast sometime ago stopped letting you fast forward through ads on most of their free on-demand shows and so I stopped ever using their on-demand and just made sure I recorded them the first time around on my DVR (which is perpetually 95% full). I'm waiting for them to phase in restricted fast forwarding on regular DVR recordings too - you know they're gonna try it at some point, especially with shows on networks they own.

Not entirely true. I skip through ads on the onDemand all the time. Just have to have your remote programmed for 30 second skip. While the fast forward will not work, the skip has never failed me.

Jun 16, 2015, 22:03
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2015, 22:03
Jun 16, 2015, 22:03

Too bad they are so dead-set on ads. I've wanted to subscribe to Hulu for years, but I'm not going to pay to watch ads. I've got adblock and script blockers up so I never see ads on Youtube and other sites. As I've gotten older, ads have gone from a non-issue to something that grate on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. I either record something to skip ads, or subscribe to services without ads. Too bad Hulu doesn't offer a product for me.

Jun 15, 2015, 14:39
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 14:39
Jun 15, 2015, 14:39

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:24:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 13:53:
I think making people pay and still forcing ads is probably the biggest reason, especially since the competition does not. If you're going to force ads on the pay option, have one short ad at the start and that's it. I agree that the limitation you mention is just stupid as well.

Agreed. A lot of people are just used to an ad free experience on Netflix now and good luck getting them to go back. If I'm paying a premium then I want an ad free tier, no silly device restrictions and other nonsense too. Hulu+ was stupid, I could watch some stuff from a PC and other stuff on a tablet but not on other devices. I found it a bizarre experience overall, I kept hoping the cable networks would sell it but they changed their mind at the last minute.
Or just used to an "ad-free" service on their Cable DVR. That is, I can fast forward through them anytime I want, no restrictions. It's the sole thing that keeps me from cutting the cable, even as much as I hate Comcast and pay through the nose. Not interested in sports packages and my local HDTV reception is great, plus I have netflix. But I've become too addicted to fast forwarding and there are a couple of shows I'm just not willing to wait until they show up on netflix.

Comcast sometime ago stopped letting you fast forward through ads on most of their free on-demand shows and so I stopped ever using their on-demand and just made sure I recorded them the first time around on my DVR (which is perpetually 95% full). I'm waiting for them to phase in restricted fast forwarding on regular DVR recordings too - you know they're gonna try it at some point, especially with shows on networks they own.

Jun 15, 2015, 14:24
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 14:24
Jun 15, 2015, 14:24

I think making people pay and still forcing ads is probably the biggest reason, especially since the competition does not. If you're going to force ads on the pay option, have one short ad at the start and that's it. I agree that the limitation you mention is just stupid as well.

Agreed. A lot of people are just used to an ad free experience on Netflix now and good luck getting them to go back. If I'm paying a premium then I want an ad free tier, no silly device restrictions and other nonsense too. Hulu+ was stupid, I could watch some stuff from a PC and other stuff on a tablet but not on other devices. I found it a bizarre experience overall, I kept hoping the cable networks would sell it but they changed their mind at the last minute.

Jun 15, 2015, 14:16
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 14:16
Jun 15, 2015, 14:16

Axis wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 13:35:
Hulu still has it wrong. Yes everyone would prefer less advertisement, but that's not why people are leaving.

People are leaving because they can't stream all the show episodes on their TV, *some* have to be from a computer only. And while hooking up a PC to the TV is easy for many, it's annoying enough to cancel subscriptions.

So that's the answer for you Hulu execs who won't read any of this.

I've also noticed on Hulu, that not all the episodes from the season are available. Do they make them all available under Hulu+?

Hulu has most TV shows most of the time on +, but the restriction is the PC one I mentioned. Hulu really hasn't had any popular mainstream competition, and most people are used to ads, everywhere. And coming from my view, someone who cut the cord primarily because of how much I hated ads, Hulu's ads were more than acceptable comparatively. But sure, it also was a part of the reason to cancel, just not *the* reason.

The problem is Hulu had momentum but it's waned for far too long. "Hulu" went hand in hand with "Netflix" in conversations, and since Hulu hasn't been able to get anyone worth a shit in their licensing department (or possibly PR), they may have missed their opportunity.
Yours truly,

Axis

Jun 15, 2015, 13:53
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 13:53
Jun 15, 2015, 13:53

Axis wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 13:35:
Hulu still has it wrong. Yes everyone would prefer less advertisement, but that's not why people are leaving.

People are leaving because they can't stream all the show episodes on their TV, *some* have to be from a computer only. And while hooking up a PC to the TV is easy for many, it's annoying enough to cancel subscriptions.

I've also noticed on Hulu, that not all the episodes from the season are available. Do they make them all available under Hulu+?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 15, 2015, 13:35
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 13:35
Jun 15, 2015, 13:35

Yours truly,

Axis

Jun 15, 2015, 11:38
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 11:38
Jun 15, 2015, 11:38

walrus1 wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 10:42:
When I first went cordless Hulu provided a large part of my streaming TV. Then the ads got worse and the restrictions on shows started. I briefly looked into Plus but people told me not to bother as the ads are almost as bad as they are on free. It's not that people are confused about Plus as much as it just sucks. Of course regular Hulu sucks too.

The biggest boon for Hulu+ is access to more current TV shows. I assume they can do this because being an ad based they're a less scary
streaming service than something like netflix (well at least to the networks that own the shows.) The ads are shorter than regular tv, but repetitive. The biggest gripe I have is they tend to interfere with your ability to skip through as show. Still, it's better than paying for cable TV, at least for me.

Jun 15, 2015, 10:42
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 10:42
Jun 15, 2015, 10:42

When I first went cordless Hulu provided a large part of my streaming TV. Then the ads got worse and the restrictions on shows started. I briefly looked into Plus but people told me not to bother as the ads are almost as bad as they are on free. It's not that people are confused about Plus as much as it just sucks. Of course regular Hulu sucks too.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older