Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

There are thunderstorms possible in this area every day for the foreseeable future according to the weather forecast. Even if I was to manage to overcome my aversion to grilling in the rain, I have no desire to become that guy everyone talks about who was struck by lightning, so this is really going to hinder the festivities in Manstovia for the time being, which is not making me happy.

R.I.P.: Dusty Rhodes dead at 69, WWE announces. Thanks Ant.

Thunderous Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: GrindCraft.
DN8 Pulse.
Trollface Quest 13.
Stories: Rupert Murdoch Said to Hand Fox CEO Title to Son James.
How US students get a university degree for free in Germany.
Texas man, 72, dies trapped inside his Corvette dream car. Awful story. Thanks ViperFour.
Science: Additives Found In Both Light Cigarettes And E-cigs Harmful.
Media: Full Trailer: "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Jurassic Park - 8 Bit Cinema.
Tornado Chaser Stops at the Wrong Location. In Soviet Union...Thanks Mark.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2015, 20:16 eRe4s3r

walrus1 wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:26:
RoboNerd wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 09:11:
Re: Tornado Chaser Stops at the Wrong Location. In Soviet Union...

Maybe I'm really slow this morning, but what does the "In Soviet Union..." mean?
It means someone missed the memo about the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the USSR. Or they still think that joke is funny.

Blue back when I had a porch I'd roll the grill up to the most open part where the stairs are and grill there. Try that. Also unless your standing underneath a tree your chance of getting hit by lighting is so small its almost not there.

When there is a thunderstorm no sane person would ever grill outside. As the word implies, aside from thunder, there is also storm often accompanied by hail and rain.

Also the joke is "In Soviet Russia tornado chases you" you sourpusses .. and it's still funny

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2015, 01:58 Krovven

A few years ago I bought a multi tool that I just keep in the driver use door panel. Mainly bought it because I had moved to an area with a lot of water with narrow dark roads. Has a tip for breaking glass, a cutter for cutting the seat belt and a flashlight and strobe. $10  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2015, 01:23 1badmf

so the electronic lock switches on the doors don't work without the fob inside the car? that's a new one.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 19:24 Julio

Bumpy wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 17:24:
Typical news story not telling the whole tale. I'm sure there is a reason no one helped him and the dog in time.

So far we've got a few suggestions in the thread:

a) They didn't want to harm the corvette
b) The situation in a crowd where nobody acts even though they all should
c) The guy inside couldn't get enough leverage to break a window

From looking at a few articles, it seems like the dead guy left his dog in the car while he went to get a coffee first. Then thought he should let his dog out and locked both of them in together.

Ultimate karma for leaving your dog in the car I guess.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 19:21 eRe4s3r

walrus1 wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 19:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 19:16:
nin wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 13:49:
Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 12:42:
Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 12:18:
Is it really that hard to break a car window yourself? (he wasn't underwater or anything)

It never used to be. I once kicked in a car window (rear door) to open the car to save a dog that was trapped inside in the heat.

Modern windows are probably a little more sturdy than ones in the 80s, but even so, shit, nobody could find a fucking brick to toss through the window??

Queue another big-ass lawsuit heading GM's way.

They're designed to blunt the force...do a youtube search on sparkplugs and car windows.

The trick with the sparkplug is ceramic, a tiny piece of it, thrown with full force against a car window, will shatter it. So breaking a car window is stupid simple, if you have a glass breaker in the car (which.. is required by law) then it's even easier. Side windows = 1 swing.

Am I evil that my first thought was "dementia" ?

And yeah, car features not being explained by dealers is a HUGE issue too. Just sad story all around
Where is a glass smasher required by law? It's not anywhere I've lived.

No you are actually right, I was wrong. It's not required by law (googled it after posting it.. hehe) turns out I have one though. So clearly it's common knowledge (I use my car like once a week)

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 19:18 walrus1

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 19:16:
Is it really that hard to break a car window yourself? (he wasn't underwater or anything)

It never used to be. I once kicked in a car window (rear door) to open the car to save a dog that was trapped inside in the heat.

Modern windows are probably a little more sturdy than ones in the 80s, but even so, shit, nobody could find a fucking brick to toss through the window??

They're designed to blunt the force...do a youtube search on sparkplugs and car windows.

The trick with the sparkplug is ceramic, a tiny piece of it, thrown with full force against a car window, will shatter it. So breaking a car window is stupid simple, if you have a glass breaker in the car (which.. is required by law) then it's even easier. Side windows = 1 swing.

And yeah, car features not being explained by dealers is a HUGE issue too. Just sad story all around
Where is a glass smasher required by law? It's not anywhere I've lived.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 19:16 eRe4s3r

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 17:24 Bumpy

Typical news story not telling the whole tale.

I'm sure there is a reason no one helped him and the dog in time.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 16:28 Pigeon

walrus1 wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 15:34:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 10:55:
That Corvette story is both awful and absurd, how the hell can you die inside a car that is just "locked" ? Sounds more like suicide.

Also the people trying to get him out don't break a window and rather let him die? WTF?

There was a similar incident Blue posted a while back. Know where your manual release is people.

Also, Cutter's right. Have a ResQMe on your keychain.

Not sure why no one broke the window. Hard for an old guy to get the right leverage in a small car like a 'vette. But everyone outside has got a crowbar or jack in their car that would go through the window pretty easily. It takes an hour or two to die of heat exhaustion, so there should have been plenty of time. Maybe they thought destroying a Corvette was the bigger tragedy? J/K. Poor guy.

I don't understand why there isn't a manual power lock tab on more cars like there were back in the 90s-00s. For example my first car a 97 Accord had a lock tab that you could pull up to manually disengage the power lock for that door and then open it like normal. As did my dads 2006 TSL as well as his 2000 S6. The Corvette seems to have a very confusing system.

I don't understand why people waited for the FD to break the windows. That's just baffling.

There are ones in the Mazda jdreyer linked. I have a very similar model the manual locks are right where you'd expect them to be. The vette manual door lock release is a little different, as there is only one on the floor next to the door of the driver's side. So while it's not hidden, it's not where you'd expect it to be.

5 minutes of time at a dealership to show people what to do if the keyfob stops working and the doors are locked would save a lot of heartache.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 15:38 Verno

Murdoch stepping down, yay! Wait James Murdoch? Ugh new boss same as the old boss, boo.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2015, 16:04.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 15:34 walrus1

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:55:
That Corvette story is both awful and absurd, how the hell can you die inside a car that is just "locked" ? Sounds more like suicide.

Also the people trying to get him out don't break a window and rather let him die? WTF?

There was a similar incident Blue posted a while back. Know where your manual release is people.

Not sure why no one broke the window. Hard for an old guy to get the right leverage in a small car like a 'vette. But everyone outside has got a crowbar or jack in their car that would go through the window pretty easily. It takes an hour or two to die of heat exhaustion, so there should have been plenty of time. Maybe they thought destroying a Corvette was the bigger tragedy? J/K. Poor guy.

I don't understand why there isn't a manual power lock tab on more cars like there were back in the 90s-00s. For example my first car a 97 Accord had a lock tab that you could pull up to manually disengage the power lock for that door and then open it like normal. As did my dads 2006 TSL as well as his 2000 S6. The Corvette seems to have a very confusing system.

I don't understand why people waited for the FD to break the windows. That's just baffling.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 15:21 walrus1

PHJF wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:51:
Also unless your standing underneath a tree your chance of getting hit by lighting is so small its almost not there.

Yeah but every time I grill a perfect burger or a deliciously tender piece of chicken I insist on thrusting my overlarge metal tongs heavenward and exclaiming at length man's victory over whatever puny animal I am set to devour. It's tradition.
Granted medal of increase the odd. Didn't occur to me for some reason.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 14:55 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 14:51 PHJF

Also unless your standing underneath a tree your chance of getting hit by lighting is so small its almost not there.

Yeah but every time I grill a perfect burger or a deliciously tender piece of chicken I insist on thrusting my overlarge metal tongs heavenward and exclaiming at length man's victory over whatever puny animal I am set to devour. It's tradition.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 14:41 Frags4Fun

Please don't get struck by lightning, Blue. I don't know what I would do without having Bluesnews to read 35 times a day.  

“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 14:26 walrus1

RoboNerd wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 09:11:
Re: Tornado Chaser Stops at the Wrong Location. In Soviet Union...

Maybe I'm really slow this morning, but what does the "In Soviet Union..." mean?
It means someone missed the memo about the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the USSR. Or they still think that joke is funny.

Blue back when I had a porch I'd roll the grill up to the most open part where the stairs are and grill there. Try that. Also unless your standing underneath a tree your chance of getting hit by lighting is so small its almost not there.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 13:49 nin

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 12:42 Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 12:18 Julio

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 11:49 Pigeon

I doubt suicide, it just sounds like an unfortunate chain of stupidity. There is some kind of gawker effect that occurs with things like this, and common sense just goes out the window. Not only will people fail to do simple things to help, but they will prevent help by getting in the way.

If the manual release is the same as what I've seen in a video it is partially hidden; so in a panicky confused state the man may not have seen it. Dealerships should be required to thoroughly demonstrate such things upon sale of the car, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, and could potentially save a life.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo