Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions

A sponsored post on Gamasutra reveals that Amazon is gearing up to develop its first PC game (we don't do sponsored posts, we're passing along out of the goodness of our hearts). Amazon is not being humble about this (how much harder can game development be than delivering merchandise?), implying they are going to elevate the medium, saying: "We believe that games have just scratched the surface in their power to unite players and will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art." Here's more:
The team is made of former Portal, World of Warcraft and BioShock creators, and we’re building a team of top talent for an ambitious new PC game project using the latest technology. Our team in Seattle has worked on a lot of other great titles like Half Life 2, Left for Dead, Dota 2, Halo, Infamous, Shadows of Mordor and The Last of Us.

If you want to be on the tip of the spear for game design and technology, contact us. We want people that are driven to make the best games in the industry. We're looking to take interesting risks, and invent!
View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 8, 2015, 13:14 HorrorScope

gravity wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 09:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 00:05:
No they do not profit like that and it's been really hit and miss lately.

Last 5 net incomes: http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Amazon.com_%28AMZN%29/Data/Income_Statement

WHOA! Horror, what's with that 'Other Income' in 2015? -5.65 BILLION!? I see their Operating Income, as well being in the opposite direction... but what's with the huge shift from the previous four quarters?!

Looks like it is how they reported costs. When did they write off the Amazon phone losses? But notice R&D/SG&A costs are zero or way down in '15 vs previous years, note Other Income went straight south in '15 with barely an end. But add those the 3 together and total costs are more in line q2q/yoy.

LoL has ~ a billion in sales yearly, not sure profits are public, but I'd have to think those are many hundred million per year. Amazon -300 million over past year. So as I mentioned you could have one game, one game, out-do the entirety of Amazon P&L wise. Now take out everything else Amazon and just talk warehouse/eCommerce as I stated, also known as their less profitable stuff even though that is what what they are known for... it's pretty funny to me any way.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 13:20.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 8, 2015, 09:39 gravity

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 00:05:

Last 5 net incomes: http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Amazon.com_%28AMZN%29/Data/Income_Statement

WHOA! Horror, what's with that 'Other Income' in 2015? -5.65 BILLION!? I see their Operating Income, as well being in the opposite direction... but what's with the huge shift from the previous four quarters?!

28. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 8, 2015, 00:05 HorrorScope

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 11:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 10:46:
Funny thought, think if they were able to create something as big as COD or a LOL, that product alone would make more profit than their entire Online Sales enterprise. Millions of people buy millions of things and one game alone could be more profitable then all of that.

What? No. They make billions annually from their regular sales. Odds of them getting a multi billion dollar game title on their first attempt = astronomically low.

27. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 11:44 LittleMe

Maybe it's a good thing Amazon has expressed no particular genre interest and perhaps they'll let creativity blossom in the studio? Nah..

Perpetual debt is slavery.

26. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 11:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 10:46:
Funny thought, think if they were able to create something as big as COD or a LOL, that product alone would make more profit than their entire Online Sales enterprise. Millions of people buy millions of things and one game alone could be more profitable then all of that.

What? No. They make billions annually from their regular sales. Odds of them getting a multi billion dollar game title on their first attempt = astronomically low.

25. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 10:46 HorrorScope

24. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 08:27 El Pit

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 15:11:
Warehouse Tycoon.

Great idea!

How about "Drone Commander"? You fly an Amazon drone delivering goods to clients?

Maaaan, on release day of Fallout 4 I will accidentially fly one of those drones to my home. On the way home, I'll be trying to shoot down all other drones!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

23. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 07:43 SXO

I wonder how many of the personnel they hired are from that big purge Valve did a while back. I mean, the team is even based in Seattle.  

22. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 04:15 Redmask

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 14:34:
You don't want to work for Amazon. They are notoriously the worst work environment. I work with ex-Amazon employees, and they all fucking hated it there. Just don't do it.

Amazon has a notoriously demanding work environment but if you're ambitious and can actually back up your ego with performance then you go far in the company.

21. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 23:31 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 22:27:
Am a zon
3 syllables
HL3 confirmed

Valve acquired by Amazon, CONFIRMED???

Backstab

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

20. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 23:27 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 21:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 14:11:
Axis wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 12:47:
Damn straight, they know the only "platform" worth developing for.

I thought you had consoles and enjoyed them? Don't you own a Wii or something?

Sure, we all get enjoyment out of consoles, love the Wii U / Wii, had xbox, etc. But I'm a PC "master race guy" to those who can't handle the fact that there's simply no better platform than the PC -- just the way it is.

Gotcha, I just had you pegged as pro-PC but otherwise platform agnostic.

It's weird, I've never owned a console, and get annoyed by ports. They just feel too simplistic and "consoly" for lack of a better word.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

19. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 22:27 RedEye9

Am a zon
3 syllables
HL3 confirmed

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

18. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 21:26 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 14:11:
Axis wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 12:47:
Damn straight, they know the only "platform" worth developing for.

I thought you had consoles and enjoyed them? Don't you own a Wii or something?

Sure, we all get enjoyment out of consoles, love the Wii U / Wii, had xbox, etc. But I'm a PC "master race guy" to those who can't handle the fact that there's simply no better platform than the PC -- just the way it is.

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 20:11 Dirwulf

You don't want to work for Amazon. They are notoriously the worst work environment. I work with ex-Amazon employees, and they all fucking hated it there. Just don't do it.

I work for Amazon, and you would be wrong. Of course, I work in VCC, which is entirely virtual, so I don't have to work in any "environment" except my own house. Our entire department is virtual. It's the shit actually.

16. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 19:05 jomisab

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 15:11:
Warehouse Tycoon.

LMAO...good one.

15. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 15:15 NewMaxx

Aw hell naw!  

14. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 15:13 Creston

I guess we'll see what happens. It could be great, in which case we have another publisher/dev who makes great games.

Or it could suck ass, in which case they can safely go on the "When it's 5 bucks or less" pile.

13. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 15:11 HorrorScope

Warehouse Tycoon.

Oh and they're going to learn like Lucas Art's "How Hard Can It Really Be To Create Games?" manager. Hard enough to where you failed and were fired.

12. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 15:07 DangerDog

Now watch them put out yet another MOBA  

11. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 14:52 Wildone

I know, but...money lol

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >