Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

DayZ Downturn

DayZ is suffering from a dwindling playerbase according to Steam Charts, where they note the zombie game's average and peak player counts are half what they were as recently as April, and are around a third of what they were about a year ago. The game's player peak was 45,398 when it entered Early Access in December 2013, and it's highest average player count came the month after that at just over 23K users. In the last 30 days the game has hit 12,336 peak players and 6,173.1 average players. Thanks reddit, where the discussions cover possible reasons for the downturn.
View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 8, 2015, 10:48 Frags4Fun

Dayz 2 coming. Check this out.  

“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 7, 2015, 10:39 Redmask

People are just tired of them not getting their heads out of their asses on the tech side. The game is frequently unstable, they continue to struggle with development and its been too long. People can only be patient for awhile and this game has had years to get its shit together. Sometimes people hear voice chat properly, other times it inexplicably doesn't work. Every update seems to introduce as many problems as it fixes.

It says a lot about a company when they can't even get their own engine under control after 3+ years of development.

28. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 6, 2015, 10:23 HorrorScope

bigspender wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 23:08:
This is why early access is terrible idea. The game is dead long before version 1.0 comes out.

For some games, games that stay for very long times in EA. There have been plenty that got in, then got out quickly. But this game and a few others in this genre, yep.

27. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 23:17 Echo Red Park

Nice try, Bohemia. You may have suckered the others to double-dip, but not this zombiefan. Ha ha! (shines fingernails on shirt)

Buy products, not promises.

26. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 23:08 bigspender

This is why early access is terrible idea. The game is dead long before version 1.0 comes out. And while a few people might play it after it "finished" the player base is long gone.

25. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 19:21 [VG]Reagle

Let me see...maybe its BECAUSE THIS GAME SUCKS  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

24. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 18:15 Osc8r

Shitty engine, no dev progress, then along comes a better alternative in H1Z1.

What else is there to know?

23. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 17:35 Wetworks24

I wonder if H1Z1 cannibalized the sales of Day Z too much. A lot of popular streamers on Twitch like to dabble in H1Z1 and the Battle Royale mode. It sounds like people were getting sick of the empty promises from Day Z and left as soon as there was a decent alternative.  

22. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 17:09 Acleacius

Any game company that willfully and arrogantly ignores PvE/Coop doesn't deserve any sympathy, when things go to chit.  

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

21. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 17:01 Krovven

AndyM22 wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 11:20:
Not sure why the joke is on the players. I paid $30 and played the game over 500 hours, met people, made friendships, had intense gaming moments...not sure what more you can ask for from a game.

How about a completed non-buggy game?

The writing has been on the wall for a long time. Many of us could see it back in Dec 2013 and didn't buy into what they were pitching.
There weren't even zombies in this zombie apocalypse game for a long time. Then the creator of DayZ announces he is leaving.

You gave them money for an incomplete game that was a step down from the mod. A game that is still nowhere near completion and probably never will be completed. Congrats to you for spending $30 and spending 500 hours playing a game that will never be complete and supporting a business model that does nothing other than take advantage of the dumb-dumb consumer.

20. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 15:07 djinn

Jamil20 wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 13:27:
I'm of the opinion that gamers are losing their attention spans. It's hard keeping a group of people playing the same thing longer than two weeks. As soon as a new shiny comes out, they're all playing that now.

I think the surprise here is that this game would have had legs if they handled it correctly. The standalone only has one vehicle if I remember correctly, yet the whole game was supposed to be done back at the end of 2012.

If you look at Arma 2:OA (which the mod runs on) it has more players there than the standalone. Of course some of these players are regular arma guys, but a large portion of those are mod players.

19. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 14:59 djinn

harlock wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 12:21:
djinn wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 11:52:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 09:51:
My guess is that people stopped playing because the last major patch shifted the focus from unfettered pvp (which is this game has nailed btw, the pvp in this game is unlike any other) to focus on survival mechanics.

I think this is where the creator lost sight of what the game had become over time. He focused so much on survival and didn't seem to notice the game's pvp was actually the star of the show. Survival was merely a segue into that.

the games creator left a few years ago tho

Then Bohemia have lost the plot too.

18. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 14:45 Tipsy McStagger

Well the game was basically ultima online pvp without the sizable servers and terrible survival zombie element thrown in to make it a really shit game.

I actually do not understand how people can like these games.. Dayz/Rust/H1Z1/etc.

I played Ultima Online for 5 years.. yet this game is like a really shitty terrible version of that on Counter-strike servers.

17. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 13:33 SlimRam

Welp, I guess that proves that a person can only get virtually tea bagged so many times before they want to move on?  

16. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 13:27 Jamil20

I'm of the opinion that gamers are losing their attention spans. It's hard keeping a group of people playing the same thing longer than two weeks. As soon as a new shiny comes out, they're all playing that now.  

15. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 13:02 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 12:56:
Clearly a large portion of griefers have moved over to GTA Online. Also, fads don't last forever. 6,000 concurrent players is still way better than most games on Steam (Top 40). IMO the game is better off without so many filthy casuals.

Thing is, this could have been a great game if they'd just done a property development cycle. It's not like they didn't get enough money to make it happen.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

14. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 12:56 jacobvandy

Clearly a large portion of griefers have moved over to GTA Online. Also, fads don't last forever. 6,000 concurrent players is still way better than most games on Steam (Top 40). IMO the game is better off without so many filthy casuals.  

13. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 12:21 harlock

djinn wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 11:52:
My guess is that people stopped playing because the last major patch shifted the focus from unfettered pvp (which is this game has nailed btw, the pvp in this game is unlike any other) to focus on survival mechanics.

I think this is where the creator lost sight of what the game had become over time. He focused so much on survival and didn't seem to notice the game's pvp was actually the star of the show. Survival was merely a segue into that.

the games creator left a few years ago tho

12. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 11:52 djinn

11. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 11:46 BIGtrouble77

MajorD wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 10:49:
I have not played ARMA 3 yet, is that engine that much better than ARMA 2s? How is the UI in comparison?

I've always felt that Arma 3 looked gorgeous and generally feels very immersive. It's the cutscenes that I can't stand. Digital actors still look incredibly creepy. I never played Arma 2 so I can't say if it's better, but the UI has been fine in my experience.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >