Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

The Bard's Tale IV Trailer

The Kickstarter page for The Bards Tale IV now offers an in-engine video from the upcoming RPG sequel. The description doesn't discuss the clip, but does offer audio credits: "The music from the video is written and performed by Julie Fowlis. The lyrics are the poem from the original The Bard's Tale, translated into Scottish Gaelic."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 23:41 Jerykk

Lord Tea wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:25:
Graphically, this looks better than Fallout 4 ever will. Kickstarter funded, from an Indie developer, made for PCs, and not made for consoles. Maybe I should spend more than 20 bucks on this....

Fallout 4 is an open-world game with tons of NPCs and interactive, physics-driven objects. Bard's Tale is a dungeon crawler. Not really a valid comparison.

On a side note, it's important to note that this demo was "in-engine" and not "in-game." When you're making a tech demo, you can devote tons of resources to a relatively small amount of content. When you're making a full game, each piece of content won't get anywhere near as much time or polish.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 17:44 Asmodai

KilgoreTrout wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 15:16:
As long as I can face death itself in the form of 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers and 99 Berserkers, I'm in!

I knew someone was going to mention the 4x 99 beserkers. I'd really hope to see some sort of quirky homage such as a kill all weapon called the Mibble which can be triggered in that room, and some funny PC chat complaining about how long they are taking to die... X D

14. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 15:37 Axis

I'm not much for bling, but it looks well done and complimentary to envisioned gameplay.  

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 15:16 KilgoreTrout

As long as I can face death itself in the form of 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers and 99 Berserkers, I'm in!

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2015, 15:28.

12. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 13:20 nin

WaltC wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 11:40:
People often believe that the artistry of a game boils down to the amount of money spent on it...nothing could be further from true...;)

It's also important not to put words in other peoples mouths, or twist what they said.

11. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 12:23 Tumbler

Backed this, don't really know a thing about the game but I bought and love Wasteland 2, am backing Torment so fuck yeah, sign me up.

I also really like that they went for an amount that many devs feel is too much to ask for on Kickstarter. I've heard time and again that you have to ask for $250,000 or something like that to be successful because if you ask for 1.25m because that is what you need then people won't back it.

People will back it, you just aren't good enough to get people to back you. This is my hope for hte future of kickstarter. Start small and build and audience if you are new. Eventually people will support your in larger numbers and you can ask for big dollars up front and expand the game even more if needed.

I love a company like this coming back to kickstarter and offering this game at $20 like this. I think it's up to $27 starting now but I think it's a safe pledge at $20 and at $27.

10. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 12:20 sauron

Wow, this looks great! I didn't realize it was InXile that is the developer.

I'm already signed up for TToN, and this one seems like it'll be getting my money as well.

Kittens!

9. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 12:16 Zor

WaltC wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 11:40:
nin wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:30:

It almost looks too good to the point that I worry about their budget supporting it. Of course, we don't know how much of their own money they're bringing to the table. But I feel pretty confident (based on the videos with the kid, and Fargo's comments) it doesn't feature outside funding.

But hey, I'm along for the ride. I keep seeing stuff like this (specifically gameplay/combat mechanic examples) and the pledge will go up as well.

People often believe that the artistry of a game boils down to the amount of money spent on it...nothing could be further from true...;) This trailer looks great because the crew who put it together knows what it's doing--and is talented enough to make it happen. That's far more important than throwing money at a game. Take a look at EA if you want to see where "How many game developers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" philosophy gets you. It really doesn't matter how much money or how little money you throw at a game--if you don't know what you're doing the rest of it is in vain.

This looks great, so far! I especially liked the Talking Mouth...I had forgotten about them from the first games--so great to see those concepts finally brought to life! This may be the Bard's Tale that lived in my imagination as I played the game back in the 80's! This may even be better.
Yep, it's an example of excellent use of excellent tools. I think this game looks fantastic already from a visual design perspective. Never played the originals, but I might have to try this one at least.

The only thing I dislike are the in-engine trailers where a set rollercoaster camera path is run through a level and someone just pans the view around. It's not representative of actual gameplay. I'd much prefer a live keyboard/mouse playthrough.

8. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 11:40 WaltC

It almost looks too good to the point that I worry about their budget supporting it. Of course, we don't know how much of their own money they're bringing to the table. But I feel pretty confident (based on the videos with the kid, and Fargo's comments) it doesn't feature outside funding.

But hey, I'm along for the ride. I keep seeing stuff like this (specifically gameplay/combat mechanic examples) and the pledge will go up as well.

People often believe that the artistry of a game boils down to the amount of money spent on it...nothing could be further from true...;) This trailer looks great because the crew who put it together knows what it's doing--and is talented enough to make it happen. That's far more important than throwing money at a game. Take a look at EA if you want to see where "How many game developers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" philosophy gets you. It really doesn't matter how much money or how little money you throw at a game--if you don't know what you're doing the rest of it is in vain.

This looks great, so far! I especially liked the Talking Mouth...I had forgotten about them from the first games--so great to see those concepts finally brought to life! This may be the Bard's Tale that lived in my imagination as I played the game back in the 80's! This may even be better.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

7. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 11:32 runnerct32

Looks real nice...I played bard's tale...have not finished it..but I will...I love that game an will be buying Wasteland 2 and this...Bard's Tale 1-3 were tough, how this will be too  

6. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 11:17 CJ_Parker

They doubled Wasteland 2's KS budget of $2.9 million to ~$6 million when they went early access so I'm betting that in addition to own funding they will do the same here, i.e. Kickstarter + Self-Funding + Early Access = Profit$. Why change a winning formula?

5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 11:00 Lord Tea

Graphically, this looks better than Fallout 4 ever will. Kickstarter funded, from an Indie developer, made for PCs, and not made for consoles. Maybe I should spend more than 20 bucks on this....

- quoting the KS page:
Co-funded by fans and inXile: if this game hits its $1.25 million goal, inXile will put in at least $1.25 million of its own money to double the initial budget!

I'm pretty sure they made some cash with Wasteland 2, and TToN will bring in even more. They licensed Unreal Engine 4 and develop for a single platform - the PC. This lowers the cost dramatically.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

4. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:41 Kajetan

It almost looks too good to the point that I worry about their budget supporting it.
They are not making an open world game. Confined, small levels and dungeons. Not vast areas which have to be filled to be at least slightly interesting. They could use all the power modern graphic engines give them and still use only a fraction of the budget a game like Fallout 4 needs. Just look at Hawken. Gorgeous, stunning levels and art design, created by a small team with the UDK3 on a small budget in only a year.

3. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:39 Task

The preview video they showed for how examining items might work looked really interesting. (That poison sword with a built in puzzle)

Edit: And holy smokes, that prototype video looks really good on UnrealEngine4. Huuuuge upgrade from the originals. What's funny is that all inXile ever has to do is release a first video making fun of the game industry, make almost a million from that along with a write up, then release that prototype and watch the dollars flow.

The spice MUST flow.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2015, 10:48.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

2. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:30 nin

1. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:25 Lord Tea

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >