Fallout 4 Trailer

The Fallout website now offers an official Fallout 4 trailer and announces that the new installment in the RPG sequel is now available for preorder for Windows, OS X, and Linux. According to the description their E3 showcase with more on the game will happen Sunday, June 14th at 10:00 pm EDT:
Watch the official in-game trailer for Fallout 4 – the next generation of open-world gaming from the award-winning creators of Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda Game Studios. Tune into Bethesda’s E3 Showcase on Sunday, June 14th at 7:00pm PT to see the world premiere of the game.

View : : :
122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Fallout 4 Trailer
Jun 7, 2015, 03:44
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 7, 2015, 03:44
Jun 7, 2015, 03:44

Looks great, can't wait to see it in person. Hopefully they pin down a release date soon.

Jun 5, 2015, 04:49
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 5, 2015, 04:49
Jun 5, 2015, 04:49

NVIDIA drivers enabled AO in Skyrim, so the same will apply here, I'm sure. I fear it will have the same glitches, though, if nothing major has changed with the engine... AO should not be drawing shadowy outlines around your weapon onto the ground, completely shattering the illusion of a 3D scene.

Jun 5, 2015, 02:38
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 5, 2015, 02:38
Jun 5, 2015, 02:38

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 20:37:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 19:37:
Not only did you not read my post properly (I wasn't the one complaining about graphics) but you don't know what you're talking about either.

You did amuse me, so points for that. The fuck off finish was weak though. Try harder.

Apologies. I took the general hatred of the thread and somehow applied it to you.

And, I kind of do know what I'm talking about. I guess my film vfx background conflicts with the video game cute idea of AO.

No, you don't know what you're talking about. You said that what we perceive as AO is just baked into the textures. That is simply incorrect these days when we talk about the AO feature. You either made a horrible rage-typo in that earlier message or you do simply not know what you're talking about despite your background.

Jun 4, 2015, 20:37
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 20:37
Jun 4, 2015, 20:37

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 19:37:
Not only did you not read my post properly (I wasn't the one complaining about graphics) but you don't know what you're talking about either.

You did amuse me, so points for that. The fuck off finish was weak though. Try harder.

Apologies. I took the general hatred of the thread and somehow applied it to you.

And, I kind of do know what I'm talking about. I guess my film vfx background conflicts with the video game cute idea of AO.

Jun 4, 2015, 19:37
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 19:37
Jun 4, 2015, 19:37

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 18:02:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 17:03:
Didn't some mod add ambient occlusion for Skyrim? I remember trying and then turning it off because it slowed things down enough to be annoying. My video card is kind of old though.

What I want out of Fallout 4 is:

Stuttering fix
64bit exe that can use maximum RAM available
Mod support, of course
FO:NV style "hard core" option

That about covers it. If there are a lot of graphic options I can't turn on or if my card just isn't good enough anymore I will totally upgrade it for Fallout 4. I'm going to wait and see how performance is first though.

I'm sorry, but ambient occlusion is fucking expensive. What you *perceive* as AO, is actually just baked into the textures. AO is pretty much the last thing you do with a finished environment, so (pre-alpha) fuck off with that noise.

Jun 4, 2015, 19:22
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 19:22
Jun 4, 2015, 19:22

Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 18:40:
Didn't some mod add ambient occlusion for Skyrim? I remember trying and then turning it off because it slowed things down enough to be annoying. My video card is kind of old though.

Stuttering fix
Mod support, of course

That about covers it. If there are a lot of graphic options I can't turn on or if my card just isn't good enough anymore I will totally upgrade it for Fallout 4. I'm going to wait and see how performance is first though.

I'm sorry, but ambient occlusion is fucking expensive. What you *perceive* as AO, is actually just baked into the textures. AO is pretty much the last thing you do with a finished environment, so (pre-alpha) fuck off with that noise.

That's incorrect. The actual AO technology does not need it to be baked into the textures. Old games "baked" it in, yes, by designers painting it in manually. I remember doing this in the Morrowind editor.

The AO tech, however, does that for the designer, which is why it's performance heavy and why it can be implemented by complex mods.

That is silly. You can "paint in" AO textures, but that is not ambient occlusion.

Jun 4, 2015, 18:46
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 18:46
Jun 4, 2015, 18:46

Stuttering fix
Mod support, of course

That isn't true and hasn't been for a very long time.

Jun 4, 2015, 18:40
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 18:40
Jun 4, 2015, 18:40

Stuttering fix
Mod support, of course

That's incorrect. The actual AO technology does not need it to be baked into the textures. Old games "baked" it in, yes, by designers painting it in manually. I remember doing this in the Morrowind editor.

The AO tech, however, does that for the designer, which is why it's performance heavy and why it can be implemented by complex mods.

Jun 4, 2015, 18:02
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 18:02
Jun 4, 2015, 18:02

Stuttering fix
Mod support, of course

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2015, 18:15.

Jun 4, 2015, 17:25
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 17:25
Jun 4, 2015, 17:25

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:27:
Fallout used branched story paths that closed and opened new branches as you went - just like Wasteland 2. Some variations were introduced with skill checks that relied on percentages instead of hard locks. Some variations were introduced with light simulation elements (explosives can open doors, etc.).

This kind of oversimplification is why we can't have nice things

Fallout games and Wasteland 2 provided a very different experience, in terms of freedom as well as everything else.

Jun 4, 2015, 17:03
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 17:03
Jun 4, 2015, 17:03

Stuttering fix
Mod support, of course

Jun 4, 2015, 16:59
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 16:59
Jun 4, 2015, 16:59

Needs HairWorks.

FO3 looked like crap compared to games back then.

This looks ok, still stylized and I'll fine with that.

But neither FO3 or FNV kept my interest past the first 30 minutes. Good thing they were dirt cheap. So I safely have no interest in this.

Sadly it means I'm going to have to hear about Fallout this and Fallout that shit for the next few years.

Jun 4, 2015, 13:26
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 13:26
Jun 4, 2015, 13:26

Giant open world games are also the ones that most need the money from a multiplatform release, or else they'd be smaller with less content. But probably prettier, yes.

Jun 4, 2015, 13:20
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 13:20
Jun 4, 2015, 13:20

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 08:38:
pagb wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 05:08:
I agree that graphics aren't everything... but this DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AMBIENT OCCLUSION! A graphic feature we've been enjoying for 6 years!

We can all thank Mickeysoft and their lame Xbone for that. The lowest performing crap platform dictates whether we can have nice things or not and thanks to the fucking piece of shit that is the Xbone we can't. Simple as that.
Then add some Microsoft bribes to the mix to prevent Bethesda from making a nicer PC version and there you have it. FO4 looking like last gen because the Xbone performs just like last gen. That motherfucking piece of shit trash junk from that asshole company that keeps on sabotaging PC gaming since the conception of the first ShitBox.
The really amusing part though is that the vast majority of the morons complaining in this thread probably lined up to buy a ShitBox, a ShitBox 360 and a ShitBox One on the day of release. This is well deserved, you clowns. This is what you get for buying Shitboxes.

No hate for other consoles? I hate to tell you this but the PS4 isn't really all that much faster either big guy.

It's consoles in general that are still holding PC back, but you just need to finally realize that they're here to stay, and you won't get your crazy shit unless it's exclusive to PC.

Jun 4, 2015, 12:56
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 12:56
Jun 4, 2015, 12:56

"War? War never changes. Neither do our graphics. Or our cool one-liner. "

Jun 4, 2015, 12:40
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 12:40
Jun 4, 2015, 12:40

Creston wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:03:
It was almost SEVEN years ago that FO3 came out, and from the looks of it, they've made a new map and called it a day.
Yup. It's Fallout 3.5.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jun 4, 2015, 10:27
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:27
Jun 4, 2015, 10:27

shihonage wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 02:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 01:34:
You have a lot of passion. I'll give you that.

Fallout 2 had quest flags that lead to predefined sub-endings. You are still funneled into an ending. You can't buy a boat and float away to a new world, you can't be king of Bartertown. You can't even change the economy or pick most items up. Minecraft has more going on than that.

Fallout 2 is still a good game, but it's not an open one. The world only reacts to you in ways the programmers predicted.

You want *emergent behavior* and there is little to none in Fallout 2. There is little to none of that in most games because it's hard to do and results can be unpredictable enough that the game goes from being fun to not being fun in a hurry.

You're not entirely right, which makes a HUGE practical difference in this case.

What I am talking about is not _absolute freedom_, which is impossible, but having significantly more freedom than Bioware and Bethesda games allow.

Walls made not out of brick, but out of elastic resin. This means, although the amount of "game endings" is predetermined, the individual player experience is never quite the same. It is also a VERY different feeling, between running into brick and into resin.

Both games in Fallout series accomplished this through rich world reactivity on macro- and micro-levels, as well as "soft area passability control".

It's not just WHAT happens, it's HOW it happens. Multiple quest solutions, design that has no unkillable NPCs or hard-blocked story hubs (i.e. anti-Bioware), passing by a corridor when your PER dings you that there's a stimpak in a nearby locker...

As I said, look into that Fallout guide. It's hard to comprehensively describe otherwise, but it ends up being a rich experience which dithers into something that feels organic and creates more freedom in your day-to-day actions than most games do.

You're not limited to LARPing and choosing which trash can to loot next. The game rewards you for being clever where it actually matters - its WORLD (and I see that term differently than just terrain with critters on it, mind you).

When I talk about this with most people, they immediately fall into this dichotomy - either it's a "an impossible AI that writes a story on the fly", or it's "Dwarf Fortress".

I believe in something else, based on research, not just vague dreams. We can have a game which provides a very convincing illusion of a story that is shaped by YOU.

Oh, there will be limitations as to how far it can be stretched, because we don't HAVE an AI. However we don't need an AI, just some old algorithms from 1960s, and writing+world that are structured to maximize their benefits while hiding their drawbacks.

If you want things to be shaken up you should expect to contribute yourself. There are two engines out there right now you could be using for free - Unity and Unreal - to make prototypes.

Be shiny and we will witness it.

The project exists. You'll witness it on Steam when it moves into functional gameplay.

Now if someone gave me a cure for chronic dry eye, things would move a lot faster.

Fallout used branched story paths that closed and opened new branches as you went - just like Wasteland 2. Some variations were introduced with skill checks that relied on percentages instead of hard locks. Some variations were introduced with light simulation elements (explosives can open doors, etc.).

If you want a different example of that style of gameplay look at Ultima 6 or 7, which spent way more effort on environment than branching story paths but still enters the same style of gameplay.

There are a variety of MUDs that did something similar.

Jun 4, 2015, 10:03
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:03
Jun 4, 2015, 10:03

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 23:11:
Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:11:
While I'm excited to play more Fallout, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the trailer. It looks basically EXACTLY like Fallout 3. This is what you guys at Bethesda came up with after six years? A slightly different map?

Eh, "exactly" is a bit inaccurate. The lighting is way better and the world doesn't have that annoying green hue.

I forgot about the green hue, the mod that took that out was the first thing I downloaded. But a lot of the textures seem to be almost directly ported, the Enclave helicopter and troopers are exactly the same models, the dog still looks terrible, inside of houses looks pretty much like copy-pasta from FO3, etc.

I'm not that worried about the other stuff, it doesn't have to be completely realistic for me to enjoy it, but I really was hoping for a different look/feel to Fallout 4, and it doesn't look as if that's going to happen.

It was almost SEVEN years ago that FO3 came out, and from the looks of it, they've made a new map and called it a day.

Jun 4, 2015, 09:27
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 09:27
Jun 4, 2015, 09:27

hello newman wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 08:04:
is this the Rage engine from iD ?
I did wonder that, what with all the flat lighting. If you look at the ground textures they're extremely RAGE-like, low resolution and with crushed colours. It would explain a lot. But RAGE at least had decent character models.

I really don't understand how this game can look so bad. It looks like there has been no graphical improvement since Skyrim, which is pretty old now.

Same graphics; same themes. It looks like a standalone expansion at best.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jun 4, 2015, 09:15
Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 09:15
Jun 4, 2015, 09:15

shihonage wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 09:06:
hello newman wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 08:04:
is this the Rage engine from iD ?

Looks like Gamebryo to me. Probably still has loading screens when entering a tiny hut.

And we'll probably still have to visit Nexus to get some proper LOD mods. Witcher 3 has shown us we should not have to deal with such BS in this day and age. And don't even get me started on the whole uGridsToLoad crap.
122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older