Heroes of the Storm Launches

The Heroes of the Storm website does not specifically announce the launch of Blizzard's MOBA, but it offers several articles surrounding the release of the free-to-play game, which is now officially out of beta. There is a discussion of the future of Ranked Play and an update on Team Builder Facebook App Issues as well as word on rewards for Hearthstone players and World of Warcraft players. They also announce Johanna Hero Week as they celebrate the launch with the addition of the game's newest hero, based on the Crusader class from Diablo III. Here's Blizzard's overview of the game:
Heroes of the Stormâ„¢ is a raucous online team brawler starring your favorite Blizzard characters. Build and customize heroes from across every Blizzard universe to suit your play style. Team up with your friends and engage in fast-paced mayhem across varied battlegrounds that impact strategy and change the way you play the game.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches
Jun 5, 2015, 01:13
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 5, 2015, 01:13
Jun 5, 2015, 01:13

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 10:07:
After Valve offered such a gamer friendly business model I don't know why people are happy to defend this nonsense.

I'm sorry to tell you but saying valve is good for you is idiotic. The guy, gabe newell and company who trojan horsed their way to billion dollar stream store via popular games like counterstrike and halflife and now most AAA game have gangrene server back ends tied into steam works so you don't really 'own' your multiplayer game so much as rent it from corporations and are totally reliant on them keeping their servers up.

Anyone who accepted MMO/F2P/steam lead to this shit, you are way too far down the river now to complain about anything. You guys gave game corporations everything they ever wanted because you are stupid as fuck. I watched dedicated servers, level editors and mod tools become locked down/gimped or totally disappear because of the mmo/drm/steam generation.

How the fuck could you pay to unlock shit in a game you don't own? Like how fucking stupid can you be. F2P is scamware and games like Dota 2 are total outliers, they are still rotten at their core. This is all in the push to change gaming culture away from ownership to perpetual serfdom.

Jun 3, 2015, 18:53
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 18:53
Jun 3, 2015, 18:53

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 10:33:
HOTS is gorgeous

lmao.

Come on now, even qlquake looks better!

Jun 3, 2015, 17:19
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 17:19
Jun 3, 2015, 17:19

Yeah, HotS isn't P2W. I agree with InBlack that it's actually P2L in a lot of cases since some people will spend money to outright buy beloved characters without having experience in the game.

Plus, once you've unlocked Dailies, it's easy to save up 15,000 gold for a new character whenever they're released (given how long it usually takes for Blizzard to release new Heroes). I've just unlocked Johanna and I still have 9000+ gold remaining for the next new hero that interests me.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2015, 18:52.

Jun 3, 2015, 10:33
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 10:33
Jun 3, 2015, 10:33

What advantage? Can they play them all at once? If ONE of them is an overpowered badass, that'd be what you'd spend your gold on initially and never buy another.

Your argument is flawed.

I will admit having only played DOTA2 in beta. It was full of people complaining that I was dragging them down, since I had no clue what the hero I took did, and was learning on the fly. Inevitably I'd be far lower level than my teammates, and several times they'd all quit in the first few minutes rather than stick it out so I could get a decent grip on that character. I found the game impenetrable due to this, and quit playing after maybe 4 days.

Enter HOTS, where everyone on your team levels at the same speed. This means newbies can stick to XP soaking, which keeps them useful without needing to know their character well enough to build toward a specific combo. Having only 5-7 (depending on player level) free toons to pick from a week means they're not overwhelmed by choice. When they DO find one they really like, they've likely got plenty of Gold (it comes fast early on) to pick it up.

HOTS is gorgeous if you have the muscle to crank it up. I have a machine with a 560ti in it in the living room that can barely manage the game on Medium. A single 760 can run it on Ultra with a little frame dropping, and my 970 plows through with no difficulty.

I prefer HOTS simply because it isn't designed to make new players feel like outcasts, and I was able to get my friends (and girlfriend) into it due to that smooth accessibility. Having recognizable characters, with abilities that fit them, is also a bonus.

Jun 3, 2015, 10:07
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 10:07
Jun 3, 2015, 10:07

InBlack wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 06:48:
Spoken with all the knowledge and experience of 0 minutes of playing HOTS. I have played the game for a few months now, and have yet to spend a single cent on it.
I didn't say you HAD to spend money, I simply stated that those who pay money get an advantage. It takes a long time and a lot of grind to earn enough gold to unlock all the characters, whereas every character is available for purchase immediately.

If anything this game is P2L or Pay to Lose, since people who cant be bothered to learn the characters, and mechanics of the game and simply use real money for everything will suck completely and utterly with it.
Don't be ridiculous. All things being equal the person who pays for characters has the advantage.

Also lol at the grind comment, I spend very little time on this game, perhaps half an hour on average each day and yet have managed to acquire nearly half the heroes currently available and have never felt even close to the frustration with some other F2P games which shall remain nameless. Compared to most F2P games, there is very little grind here.
You've played for months and earned less than half of all the available characters. Others will cave and pay immediately, giving them the advantage. Hearthstone had the same P2W mechanics. Dota 2 doesn't have any of this bullshit to deal with.

This is a bad business model. I'd rather pay outright for a game than deal with a grindy shitfest. Do you know how much it costs to buy all the characters? It's $160. Fuck that. After Valve offered such a gamer friendly business model I don't know why people are happy to defend this nonsense. Blizzard makes EA look altruistic.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jun 3, 2015, 09:03
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 09:03
Jun 3, 2015, 09:03

Yeah, the main problem I see with Blizzard is you get a lot of the "fanbois" join in out of the blue, having never played that particular genre before and only buying it/playing it because Blizzard makes it, and think they either know everything right off the bat.

HotS is not something you pick up and become an expert in even a month, or 2 months, or 3 months. It's similar to a strategy game in that you have to learn and identify every single units strengths and weaknesses, when to use which hero, and how to form the proper team in a MOBA case.

I've been in the alpha of HotS since many many months ago, and I'm clueless on probably 50% of the game still in that I don't know all the perfect strategies for the maps, I don't know probably half of the heroes strengths and weaknesses yet, and they are constantly adding new ones which means you got to keep up with them.

Also the P2W is a redonkulous talk when everything can be unlocked by in-game gold and skins and mounts are just cosmetic buys, nothing game altering. I mean, this is Blizzard but cmon, they are also anal about game balancing in all their games. They wouldn't sell out I imagine on even this one.

Jun 3, 2015, 08:42
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 08:42
Jun 3, 2015, 08:42

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 05:53:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 23:03:
Uhh, yeah. There's nothing P2W about it.
Other than the entire business model. Hiding characters behind a paywall makes it P2W, something that Dota 2 doesn't do. Sure you can acquire them through gold but players that spend real money on the game have an advantage.

Valve got the business model just right with Dota 2, whereas HotS is all about grind and microtransactions.

Have you actually PLAYED the game? If you don't have an entire team you always play with, you don't know what characters your teammates will have. You never know what your enemies have until the game has started, and you don't know what map you'll be on.
So, EXPLAIN, please, how it's p2w, because there's no single Super Badass. Not having all the characters is NOT a disadvantage, and the ones you like are easy enough to buy with the in-game coins.
Complain about the simpler mechanics, maybe (altho they're what make the game accessible to my friends), but Blizzard is being pretty generous with the character-purchasing gold. Having to "buy" a character makes it feel more worthwhile to learn each one, rather than having people constantly joining your team with no clue what they're doing. The weeks Abathur is in free rotation are awful, he's an incredibly weird character that I've never seen anyone play effectively.

The complaints in this thread seem more about a hatred of Blizzard, or maybe an "intruder" in the MOBA category, than actual valid complaints about the game itself.

Jun 3, 2015, 06:48
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 06:48
Jun 3, 2015, 06:48

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 05:53:
Other than the entire business model. Hiding characters behind a paywall makes it P2W, something that Dota 2 doesn't do. Sure you can acquire them through gold but players that spend real money on the game have an advantage.

Valve got the business model just right with Dota 2, whereas HotS is all about grind and microtransactions.

Spoken with all the knowledge and experience of 0 minutes of playing HOTS. I have played the game for a few months now, and have yet to spend a single cent on it.

If anything this game is P2L or Pay to Lose, since people who cant be bothered to learn the characters, and mechanics of the game and simply use real money for everything will suck completely and utterly with it.

Also lol at the grind comment, I spend very little time on this game, perhaps half an hour on average each day and yet have managed to acquire nearly half the heroes currently available and have never felt even close to the frustration with some other F2P games which shall remain nameless. Compared to most F2P games, there is very little grind here.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jun 3, 2015, 05:53
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 05:53
Jun 3, 2015, 05:53

Jun 3, 2015, 03:29
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 03:29
Jun 3, 2015, 03:29

The game needs items and Kyle Blackthorn IMO.

Jun 3, 2015, 02:12
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 02:12
Jun 3, 2015, 02:12

RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 20:45:
Yeah I have been playing this quite a bit as well. It's a lot of fun.

The only slight downside right now is a lot of people are trying to play it like it's LoL/DOTA2. They split up and try to "lane" and stuff when really this is pretty much an objective based 5v5 game.

So far I haven't really ran into any toxic players during closed and open beta, but I'm sure they will ruin it sooner or later.

/facepalm
I have a nifty blue line!

Jun 3, 2015, 00:31
Slick

Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 00:31
Jun 3, 2015, 00:31
 Slick

RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 20:45:

The only slight downside right now is a lot of people are trying to play it like it's LoL/DOTA2. They split up and try to "lane" and stuff when really this is pretty much an objective based 5v5 game.

So far I haven't really ran into any toxic players during closed and open beta, but I'm sure they will ruin it sooner or later.

from what i've gathered, "laning" is important still for some aspects of the game. it's def more important earlier on. i'm new to mobas too (although still remember the first alpha build of dota on WC3 custom maps), but they seem to call it "xp soaking". as in, since the xp is shared with your whole team, if you ignore a lane, your team doesn't get that XP. if creeps are killed by other creeps/towers etc, your team doesn't get to cash in on that XP. which again is more important earlier on. hero kills are almost worth nothing at the start of the game, which is nice, incase you fuckup the start of a game it's easy to come back from, and by no means a death sentence for the rest of the round.

as the game progresses, killing heros becomes much more important, as the xp rewards continue to rise, while creeps still give the same increasingly insignificant amount of xp. at the same time, not dying becomes more important, as the respawn timers get longer and longer, i think they're tied to the level your team is currently on. one bad death can cost the game at lvl 20+

a pro way to soak is using the lost vikings heros to have 1 hero on each lane, so your team gets full XP, then you have 4 heros to roam and gank.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jun 2, 2015, 23:55
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 23:55
Jun 2, 2015, 23:55

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 22:13:
HotS is like Dota 2 only it's frustrating, it has worse graphics, it's based around grind / P2W, the gameplay is all spam and... well, yeah.

To me it just feels like a MOBA designed to cater to MOBA newbies - kinda like what WOW did with MMO's.

I can only hope that they aren't ridiculously successful (again) or we will end up with nothing but cookie cutter clones of this shallow gameplay and another ruined genre.

I always thought animations were one of blizzards strong points? Guess not so much anymore.

Jun 2, 2015, 23:44
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 23:44
Jun 2, 2015, 23:44

Glad to see it's released. Hope they add an option to play harder AI (outside of custom games). I like how Dota does it, even if it does take longer with matchmaking. The AI is pretty brain-dead, and I don't care to play against humans. I enjoy it though. The matches are quick.

Jun 2, 2015, 23:03
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 23:03
Jun 2, 2015, 23:03

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 22:13:
HotS is like Dota 2 only it's frustrating, it has worse graphics, it's based around grind / P2W, the gameplay is all spam and... well, yeah.

I really hate Blizzard's P2W business model. Hearthstone was ruined because of it. Valve nailed it with Dota 2, which is why this is so frustrating.

Uhh, yeah. There's nothing P2W about it. I've only been playing for about a month off and on. I'm new to MOBAs aside from a fairly brief stint with LoL. This game has less tedious and annoying aspects than LoL, and I'm having a pretty good time with it. Just hit lvl 25 which unlocks all talents. It starts you off playing co-op against AI, which is good. Then let's you play against other teams. Gotta get to lvl 30 I think to access ranked play, but I have little interest in that anyway. I may pay to get permanent access to some heroes, but I've already made over 25K gold, so I can buy some anyway.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jun 2, 2015, 22:45
Tom
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 22:45
Jun 2, 2015, 22:45
Tom

HotS P2W? What are you smoking?

Jun 2, 2015, 22:13
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 22:13
Jun 2, 2015, 22:13

I really hate Blizzard's P2W business model. Hearthstone was ruined because of it. Valve nailed it with Dota 2, which is why this is so frustrating.

Jun 2, 2015, 20:45
RaZ0r!

Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 20:45
Jun 2, 2015, 20:45
 RaZ0r!

I pwnz j00!

Jun 2, 2015, 20:31
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 20:31
Jun 2, 2015, 20:31

WaltC wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 19:44:
I confess my ignorance of the title, but if this is another D3-like "Let's build our DRM into the structure of the game itself," I'll pass, again. Is it? Anyone know?

Dude it's not for you. Unfortunately you need to use both hands to play so you won't have one free to keep your tin foil helmet in place. Stick to crossy road.

Jun 2, 2015, 19:44
Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 19:44
Jun 2, 2015, 19:44

I confess my ignorance of the title, but if this is another D3-like "Let's build our DRM into the structure of the game itself," I'll pass, again. Is it? Anyone know?

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older