Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Expands Refund Policy

Steam News announces the release of a new Steam client, noting one of the new features is integration of Steam Refunds support. There's more on their new refund policy in this news update: "We're releasing a major update to how we handle requests for refunds for purchases on Steam. You can read through all the details about refunds on Steam here, or visit http://help.steampowered.com if you’re having trouble with a purchase. We hope this will give you more confidence in trying out titles that you're less certain about." They warn that players abusing the system to get free games may be refused future refunds, but that they do not consider it abuse to request a refund for a recently purchased game to repurchase it because it subsequently went on sale. Here's the general policy:

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

You will be issued a full refund of your purchase within a week of approval. You will receive the refund in Steam Wallet funds or through the same payment method you used to make the purchase. If, for any reason, Steam is unable to issue a refund via your initial payment method, your Steam Wallet will be credited the full amount. (Some payment methods available through Steam in your country may not support refunding a purchase back to the original payment method. Click here for a full list.)

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 22:18 MeanJim

bhcompy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:53:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.

The game time you play while offline doesn't show up on your Steam profile. I noticed that this past weekend when my cable went down due to storms in the area. I was in a game when my cable went out and continued to play. I checked the game time in the overlay before I quit and compared it to my profile when the cable came back up and it did not add to it.

Achievements do work offline though, which must be something fairly recent. I set Steam to offline mode to try some mods in a game a while back. I went offline because I didn't want to trigger some achievements while goofing off, but I was surprised when it triggered one anyway.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 19:51 saluk

Dacron wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 19:08:
saluk wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 17:24:
I actually think this is going to make everybody more money in the long run. Easier refunds equals more impulse buys, which could very easily outweigh the money lost with handling the refunds.

People do refunds with chargebacks already too, so much better to have some control over the method of the refund and get the good will associated.

The only people who will make less money are the outright turds and the early access scams, which are exactly who we want to make less money.

I've heard chargebacks result in your account getting locked. No clue how that works since you own your games, but would suck unless it was a new account per game.

Yeah, they weren't a great method, definitely some danger there for consumers, and expensive for publishers - but they were happening. They are more costly than a refund through the system would be. I expect the increasing volume of chargebacks and banned accounts that was going on helped to weigh in favor of offering refunds.

A banned account isn't going to give you money again...

32. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 19:09 Retired

Does this exclude EA games? Cause I requested a refund before and they said no.  

31. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 19:08 Dacron

I actually think this is going to make everybody more money in the long run. Easier refunds equals more impulse buys, which could very easily outweigh the money lost with handling the refunds.

People do refunds with chargebacks already too, so much better to have some control over the method of the refund and get the good will associated.

The only people who will make less money are the outright turds and the early access scams, which are exactly who we want to make less money.

I've heard chargebacks result in your account getting locked. No clue how that works since you own your games, but would suck unless it was a new account per game.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

30. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 18:42 jacobvandy

Yup, I wonder if they default it to Steam wallet funds and most people won't realize they can change that... Valve wins again!

29. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:37 Cutter

Sounds great on paper, let's see how it plays out in the real world.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

28. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:34 Dev

Task wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:14:
Wow, that took a while.

Off the record though, they did allow refunds in the past. When I purchased (or rather was fooled into it) ACM back in the day, I demanded a refund for it from Steam and they gave my money back that same day I got it.

I think in that case the devs/publisher allowed it

27. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:26 HorrorScope

Good deal. The reasons why I want a refund rarely happens, but it is nice to know a refund will be on the way when I use it.  

26. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:24 saluk

25. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:11 ASeven

Guess the Germany and EU policies regarding refunds have finally bore fruit. Good to see Steam drop their stupid refund policy for something more sensible at last.  

24. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:03 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:57:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.
Piece of cake. Just image the system with Acronis and restore it once you're done playing.

What will get you in the end is requesting so many refunds, since Valve has to process those. Otherwise for game time abuse, Valve doesn't have a perfect way to tell how long you've been playing a game.

And I'm sure abusers will be flagged and not refunded.

23. No subject Jun 2, 2015, 16:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Luke wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:40:
What was the name back then , hmmm ahh yes a DEMO

Hell, Origin does that somewhat with titles. I've still got the full version of Sims 4 sitting there and I haven't played it. It has a 48hr demo window on it, interestingly enough Origin seems to be able to do it with their tech support sometimes too. My buddy wanted to try DA:I before he bought it, contacted support and they setup a 48hr trial window for him.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

22. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 16:40 Luke

PHJF wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:33:
Sooooo how about just letting us trial any game for up to two hours WITHOUT buying it? You know, like some kind of demonstration or something.

What was the name back then , hmmm ahh yes a DEMO

21. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 16:33 PHJF

Sooooo how about just letting us trial any game for up to two hours WITHOUT buying it? You know, like some kind of demonstration or something.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 16:24 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:01:
nin wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:44:
I think 14 days and two hours is totally reasonable.

Long overdue, but I'm surprised they finally did it.

They did it because of the EU laws and the court cases there regarding refunds of digital software.

Also because Origin and GoG offer refunds. Hooray for market pressures.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

19. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 16:14 Task

Wow, that took a while.

Off the record though, they did allow refunds in the past. When I purchased (or rather was fooled into it) ACM back in the day, I demanded a refund for it from Steam and they gave my money back that same day I got it.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

18. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 16:07 Tumbler

Better than before but 2 hours seems too short if I'm wanting to simply try a game that I might like and I'm paying $60 for that privilege.

Seems more like a "This game is terrible and i never want to play it again" safety net.

Could be interesting for a game like Evolve or Bloodborne. Those are both games I was mildly interested in trying on release. I watched some youtube clips / Twitch streams and realized pretty quick I didn't like them. Definitely realized that before 2 hours in each case.

17. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 16:00 nin

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:57:
Valve doesn't have a perfect way to tell how long you've been playing a game.

Oh, I bet they do somewhere in the code. They're just not going to announce it, for obvious reasons.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

16. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:57 ViRGE

Piece of cake. Just image the system with Acronis and restore it once you're done playing.

What will get you in the end is requesting so many refunds, since Valve has to process those. Otherwise for game time abuse, Valve doesn't have a perfect way to tell how long you've been playing a game.

15. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:40 DangerDog

All games on Steam will now have a two hour and one minute non interruptible loading cut scene.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo