Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

An open letter to journalists who donít give a shit - Tired Old Hack. Thanks Derek.
"Hereís my take on it. Simply put, if youíre covering a game and you care so little about the game that you donít even have the decency to pay attention to it, then Ė and pardon my vernacular here Ė f*ck directly off."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2015, 03:05 Suppa7

Rigs wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 02:40:
As for dedicated servers, I think you don't give gamers enough credit.

=-Rigs-=

Dude gamers are the reason steam exists, I held out for years away from steam but new kids (born yesterday) don't have any memory of gaming history and are easily taken advantage of / manipulated, not to mention many of them are dumb. Just go to reddit and see all the gabe newell bootlicking. It's pretty disgusting, esp from a man who's at the forefront of taking away our rights to own our own shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2015, 02:57 Suppa7

Rigs wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 02:40:
, I can think of no other 'group' or industry that accepts the process of half broken products being put on the market =-Rigs-=

Uhh there's tonnes of snake oil/cheap crap that breaks that makes mega bucks. What about vanity items like fashion - expensive purses which are actually regular purses made in some foreign super low wage country but just using scientific techniques to prime people to believe nonsense, etc, Banks charging for you owning an account and knowing that switching is a royal pain in the ass for most people. You are blind to how fucked up the world really is son. Commercial capitalism is one giant clusterfuck. The reality is the market is a myth and doesn't really exist because human beings simply do not behave nor make decisions according to rational principles.

Then there's the huge bailouts of the banks and stock market in 2008. The idea that there exists some market "that punishes crap and rewards merit" is mostly a fantasy.

Alan grayson gruelling central bank employee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYNVNhB-m0o

If that were true MMO's (DRM online RPG's) and F2P never would have taken off, people are much too dumb to make valid decisions and their long term consequences.

23. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2015, 02:40 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 01:48:
Rigs wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:36:
Yet we simultaneously give the practice support and shun it at the same time=-Rigs-=

"WE" don't, gamers are not a homogenous group. They are just people, and most people on are planet are fucking stupid. As for industries "collapsing". Sorry to say but it's not just the gaming masses who take it up the ass.

The vast majority of people buying games 1) are stupid 2) don't understand technology. If you asked the average gamer about dedicated servers you'd get a blank face.

Aside from the major public media (CNN, MSNBC, FOX, et al.) , I can think of no other 'group' or industry that accepts the process of half broken products being put on the market to be fixed after they're bought. I wasn't just speaking about the whole GG controversy. By 'we', I was referring to the gaming press and those that read what they put out, not just gamers in particular. You can find the objection of 'booth babes' as a 'thing' right next to a slide-show of it on the same site. (well, you could, this was a while ago that I saw it)

As for dedicated servers, I think you don't give gamers enough credit. Maybe console peasants might not understand the importance, but every time a new Call of Duty is announced, all I see in the comments is 'Dedicated servers?' asked a half billion times...

=-Rigs-=

22. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2015, 01:48 Suppa7

Rigs wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:36:
Yet we simultaneously give the practice support and shun it at the same time=-Rigs-=

"WE" don't, gamers are not a homogenous group. They are just people, and most people on are planet are fucking stupid. As for industries "collapsing". Sorry to say but it's not just the gaming masses who take it up the ass.

The vast majority of people buying games 1) are stupid 2) don't understand technology. If you asked the average gamer about dedicated servers you'd get a blank face.

21. No subject Jun 2, 2015, 16:58 Mashiki Amiketo

Total Biscuit presents Masterpiece Theater - Gaming Journalism. ~5mins long.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2015, 15:58 Rigs

Would just like to point out that if you want to get in on the comment fun on Polygon and don't have an account yet to do so, they make you wait a day (down to the second) before being able to post. I mean, really?! That was the whole point I made an account and I find that out at the end. Fuck off, Polygon...

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2015, 15:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 10:31:
I'll wait for an archived version of the Polygon article; until then I'll take this writer's word for it that it's shite.

Shit tier article, the attacks they're getting are justified.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 15:36 Rigs

What I can't understand is why this industry does so many bullshit things and gets away with it that others would outright collapse from. You don't see the car industry having a crisis about misogynistic writers/users. Have you been to a car show? There's 'booth babes' everywhere. Yet we simultaneously give the practice support and shun it at the same time. Almost like a guy who masturbates and then feels guilty about it afterward. This industry got too big too fast, too commercial too fast. You go back to the late 80's/early 90's and none of this is an issue. I know, I have the gaming mags to show it. I read them often. (True story, I have 5 plastic containers FULL of about 500+ gaming mags, CGW, PC Gamer (the whole set (bar one or two) until 2001 and a whole set of Next Gen not to mention various Game Players, Computer and Video Games, EGM, and the holy grail - PC Accelerator...OMG, PC Accel could never exist in this environment! Could you imagine?! That's how bad this has gotten!) This industry gets away with releasing half done products that are fixed (mostly) after release! What other industry allows that?!?

The gaming industry is having a personality crisis and hopefully we can, along with the 'Major News Media' get through this without imploding and taking it's base with it...

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 15:19 Joss

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:29:
Point is, I just don't want to read about it anymore.
Just like I don't want to see or hear anything more about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner... like ever.

I wonder if AdBlock can make a flavor that blocks just that shit? That would sell!

16. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 13:38 Flatline

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 12:31:
In regards to the Polygon article, never have I read something where "check your privilege" is actually the perfect response. Even by the pretentious, arrogant standards of Polygon, that article was abysmal. That no editors stopped it from being published just shows how much contempt for the medium that site has. If they keep pushing this hard, I think a lot of publishers and developers are just going to decide they aren't worth dealing with any more. They're arrogant enough to think that won't happen but honestly, if I worked in Harmonix (or CD Projekt Red for that matter) PR right now, I'd be cutting that site off if that's what I could expect out of them.

I'd seriously not be surprised at this point if Polygon's next preview article consisted of a picture of someone wiping their ass in the foreground and some out of focus video game on a screen in the background with a rant on how toilet paper can be too soft and leave fuzzballs in your ass crack.

The insane thing is that the assmonkey who wrote that article got *paid*.

From the OpEd:
"The cynic in me thinks the article was posted just to rile people up and get hits. And by posting this article moaning about it, I suppose if thatís the case then Iíve fallen for it. "

DING DING DING I think we have a winnner!

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2015, 13:44.

15. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 13:22 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:33:
Game reviewers are journalists? Heh. Yeah. Sure. Most journalists aren't even real journalists.

I never watch cable "news," but was stuck in a hotel a few weeks ago, so turned on CNN for background noise. It's truly not journalism, at all. It's entertainment, made to frighten, shock, and titillate. The two biggest stories that dominated for the entire week: biker gang shootout, and quadruple homicide in DC. I can't even recall any other stories because these stupid, completely-irrelevant-to-me stories got so much time. Meanwhile, our political system is collapsing, the planet is overheating, we have huge socio-economic issues to address, infrastructure is crumbling, etc. etc. Just so, so, stupid. Our failed media experiment, indeed.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 13:13 AngelicPenguin

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 12:31:
In regards to the Polygon article, never have I read something where "check your privilege" is actually the perfect response. Even by the pretentious, arrogant standards of Polygon, that article was abysmal. That no editors stopped it from being published just shows how much contempt for the medium that site has. If they keep pushing this hard, I think a lot of publishers and developers are just going to decide they aren't worth dealing with any more. They're arrogant enough to think that won't happen but honestly, if I worked in Harmonix (or CD Projekt Red for that matter) PR right now, I'd be cutting that site off if that's what I could expect out of them.

I thought the same thing. I didn't even realize Polygon had enough clout to be able to write "articles" like this (I never go to the site.)

13. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

12. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 10:31 Elf Shot The Food

I'll wait for an archived version of the Polygon article; until then I'll take this writer's word for it that it's shite.  

11. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 10:06 Mikus_Aurelius

I'm pretty sure the correct response is "agree to disagree." If you can't accept a good argument from a person because you happen to disagree with them about some unrelated issue, then you're going to miss out on a lot of good ideas.  

10. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:55 Tumbler

Apologies if you support the movement and the above disclaimer offends you in any way, but try to deal with it. Arguing with me about it is fruitless: I wonít be swayed.

Well...that sums up the whole debate quite nicely. The games media knows best, so shut up you filthy misogynist gamers!

9. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:45 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:29:
But... WHY even mention that in the article?

It's pretty clear in the update that it's because the article was being dragged into the GG mess through twitter. Ignoring it would have made him seem complicit, addressing it makes his stance clear.

8. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:37 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:33:
Game reviewers are journalists? Heh. Yeah. Sure. Most journalists aren't even real journalists.

No reason why they couldn't at least aspire to some kind of work ethic. Anything really would be better than what we have now, which is in my opinion basically a 'clique' of hip kids with a talent for making shit up as they go along and enjoying that clickbait ad money.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:33 Cutter

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

6. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:32 InBlack

I don't think he mentioned it or brought it up with any motive or thought, however I agree that his update on his stance on gamergate wasn't really necessary and did not contribute in any way to the article.  

I have a nifty blue line!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo