Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Overwatch Video

A new video shows off an unedited Overwatch match featuring Tracer in action in Blizzard's upcoming teamplay shooter. Word is: "Try keeping track of Tracer in this complete, unedited match from an early version of Overwatch, captured in 60fps on PC. Here, Tracer plays on the defensive team in Hanamura, a Point Capture map set in an idyllic corner of Japan."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 08:38 InBlack

Xero wrote on May 28, 2015, 08:13:
For me, the last, crazy guns blazing, rockets propelled all over the place, fast FPS shooting was Quake 3 Arena. I had my fill in that game and then some with UT although UT had it's modes that allowed less madness and objectives and whatnot.

Still, nothing quite compared to Quake 3 Arena in it's days.

At this point, I wouldn't mind trying this game just to give a proper opinion on how Blizzard's FPS fairs but I have an idea. It's a concept that already works else where and Blizzard cleans it up a bit, simplifies it, and makes it really fun to grasp. That's how 99.9% of their games have gone since the 2000s...

Yeah, and they were never that original to begin with anyway. Blizzard has always done best when they took or ripped on someone elses ideas and then applied that Blizzard 'polish'. They have lost some of that mojo recently, but are making good progress on regaining it with Heroes of the Storm and possibly with their first foray into FPS games.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 08:13 Xero

For me, the last, crazy guns blazing, rockets propelled all over the place, fast FPS shooting was Quake 3 Arena. I had my fill in that game and then some with UT although UT had it's modes that allowed less madness and objectives and whatnot.

Still, nothing quite compared to Quake 3 Arena in it's days.

At this point, I wouldn't mind trying this game just to give a proper opinion on how Blizzard's FPS fairs but I have an idea. It's a concept that already works else where and Blizzard cleans it up a bit, simplifies it, and makes it really fun to grasp. That's how 99.9% of their games have gone since the 2000s...

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

28. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 07:56 harlock

NewMaxx wrote on May 28, 2015, 07:31:
harlock wrote on May 28, 2015, 00:17:
i dont understand how people call this "fast"... are you kidding?
play more tribes

No shit. Try comparing it the modern standard, you know...what people actually play.

I personally play PS2, which is slow as molasses in comparison. This is twitch nation.

i'll compare it to whatever i want - thats the fucking point, i dont give a shit about your "standards" because they are retarded

27. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 07:31 NewMaxx

harlock wrote on May 28, 2015, 00:17:
play more tribes

No shit. Try comparing it the modern standard, you know...what people actually play.

I personally play PS2, which is slow as molasses in comparison. This is twitch nation.

26. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 07:15 Jonjonz

Team Fortress with more flash, guess we know now why WOW is languishing.  

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

25. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 04:32 Luke

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2015, 02:47:
NewMaxx wrote on May 27, 2015, 18:55:
Axis wrote on May 27, 2015, 17:46:
So much screen crap, I don't know who got the idea that flashy animations is what people want - but its completely useless crap to me.

Too much noise on the screen is one of the most common complaints I've heard about this game.

They really need to tone down the flashy animations, and keep only what's necessary (and clearly visible) on the screen. Blizzard usually does a good job with effects and animations, but I don't want to play a FPS where half the time I can't see what the fuck Im shooting at.

you just wait for descent reboot lots lots lots of flair light good luck hitting anything there

24. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 04:02 ItBurn

I got tired of that type of gameplay 15 years ago.  

23. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 03:59 jdreyer

harlock wrote on May 27, 2015, 18:26:
is this what fps games are supposed to be like now?

fuckin a..

You'll always have BF:Hardline.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

22. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 03:12 Fion

I like the class. It's fast, has a crazy rewind mechanic and guns. I've always gone for the fast classes, though I played predominantly Pyro in TF2 with it's crazy kill streak potential followed by Soldier.

The maps so far seem pretty well done. They obviously hired some guys (and gals) with experience in making maps because they have good flow and a lot of verticality so far, if also being awfully small. I think one of the reason gameplay appears so fast is because the maps shown of so far are tiny. Like CoD multiplayer tiny.

My biggest complaint is the FOV, which Bliz has apparently locked down to 60. They do realize this is a PC shooter right? And a fast paced one at that? I'm almost nauseated just watching this, it'd probably be completely unplayable unless they bring that FOV out or give us a slider.

21. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 02:47 InBlack

NewMaxx wrote on May 27, 2015, 18:55:
So much screen crap, I don't know who got the idea that flashy animations is what people want - but its completely useless crap to me.

Too much noise on the screen is one of the most common complaints I've heard about this game.

They really need to tone down the flashy animations, and keep only what's necessary (and clearly visible) on the screen. Blizzard usually does a good job with effects and animations, but I don't want to play a FPS where half the time I can't see what the fuck Im shooting at.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 02:09 Jerykk

I think this definitely looks interesting. It's like a shooter mixed with a fighting game, with each character being completely unique. There appear to be some broad roles (offense, defense, support) but each character is unique within said role.

I do agree that the amount of UI onscreen can be a bit much, though I'm sure a lot of it will be optional.

Overwatch is the most interesting Blizzard game to me since... well, forever. I never really cared about Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo and Blizzard is actually doing something interesting with the shooter genre while other devs are pumping out military shooters or Q3/UT clones.

19. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 00:17 harlock

play more tribes

18. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 23:46 Verno

For some reason this reminds me of Brink meets TF2. I'll reserve judgment until I play it but I'm not going to be going out of my way to get a beta invite or something.  

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

17. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 23:38 NetHead

Thumbs down.

I remember watching a video of this not to long ago, and all the crap going on all over the screen, such as the animations you mention, seemed like a desperate attempt at making it seem like something is always happening, when it was actually just a bunch of charging up to shoot or something equally boring.

Nothing about this makes me remotely interested, not the art, not the style, not the gameplay, not the graphics, not the classes (or "characters" which I dislike, did they pull them randomly out of a hat), nothing. Others may enjoy it, some no doubt will and to each their own but I'm as likely to open Solitaire as play this. Does Solitaire still even come with Windows.

Looking at a bit of this video it reminded me of those games in arcades that virtually never got played, where you do something mundane like eat away the screen with lines but it had all these crazy effect and sounds going to to make it seem exciting.

16. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 23:28 Redmask

This looks really bland. A whole bunch of stuff happened in that video, none of it seemed to really matter much and there were more GUI elements than I've ever seen in an FPS game for seemingly no reason. I have no idea what I'm supposed to make of this game other than it looks like Blizzard is ticked off at Valve for taking Dota and seems to be trying to do a really confusing TF clone. I'm sure the usual blizzard fanboys on here like kroven will be defending it to the death though.

F2P or not games need to earn my attention these days, there is a ton of shit to play.

15. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 22:46 Alamar

I have played competitive FPS since UT, but when I did, it was UT-Excessive, so I'm all for fast speed, though I'll miss six-loaded super jumps across bigass maps...

Don't have much of an opinion on this yet, other than that I'll likely give it a try (assuming F2P) and judge it when I've played it ; )

14. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 22:31 Wowbagger_TIP

I'll give this a shot when it comes out. Blizzard is pretty good at polishing games, even if they did screw the pooch with D3. I'm pretty sure they'll fix the annoying crap during the inevitable beta.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 22:27 chickenboo

Not really impressed too much. I don't see any objectives. It's squad based, but this class doesn't seem to benefit her party or gain anything from working together... I also can't tell what her ability does or how the class is superior to the rest. It can teleport forward to escape harm... but is it weaker in another way?

We already have Team Fortress 2, which this seems to emulating, or trying to be. TF2 IMO is perfected team-based objective FPS. Every class has its pros and cons, every class contributes to the team and the goal, and every class is necessary for certain choke points, certain map points, certain objectives, or certain goals. Spies and scouts are weak, but are excellent for sneak-capping a point, harassing the enemy, killing important enemy classes; Medics keep the team alive and allow the team to break through a choke point; Heavies lay down suppressing fire and intimidate the enemy team, etc. I guess I don't see how these classes in Overwatch contribute to the goal or the team at all. Which makes the classes really just weapon loadouts.

Is this game going to be F2P? Because I don't see myself even trying it if it isn't...

12. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 22:17 Yeahyeah Yeah

I'm looking forward to it. Neat character designs too.  

11. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 20:51 Deathhead

I'd have to say I'm looking forward to this. I'm getting tired of WW2 shooters, "realistic" shooters. Its nice to see something that isn't CoD or BF.  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >