Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Age of Conan Turns Seven

Age of Conan website has word that today marks seven years since the launch of Age of Conan, Funcom's MMORPG which has since been unchained. They celebrate the occasion with the release of some new content along with new membership offers and a week of double Alternate Advancement points. Here's word:
Funcom's Age of Conan introduces the brand new Hyborian Tales: Shadow of Vanaheim! The update offers hours of new content, many quests, new Bear Mounts and brutal challenges against Vanir invaders.

A Collector's Edition of Shadow of Vanaheim is available to players in the in-game Item Store. It contains many bonus items, such as the epic Prime Platinum Ice Bear swift mount.

Age of Conan is also celebrating its seventh anniversary this week, with all new and exclusive Membership Offers and a week of double Alternate Advancement points for its players.
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 21, 2015, 18:48 Osc8r

Still about 10x better than WOW ever was - even though it was buggy as all hell.

Tortage was overrated. Linear as it gets, and who cares about voice acting really... oh right, PVErs

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 21, 2015, 17:26 Acleacius

Tried to read some forums to answer my question, thought it might not have been clear.

Apparently you are gimped in AoC unless you are paying monthly, like SWOR. This game afai can tell is not fully unlocked free to play, whether you buy the game or not.

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

20. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 21, 2015, 06:35 Julio

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2015, 20:13:
I'd love to see a new DDO.

Have to agree with you there. Age of Conan for me was great until I got past level 20ish. Then the content dried up. The best thing I got out of it was the soundtrack!

19. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 21, 2015, 02:33 InBlack

Wallshadows wrote on May 20, 2015, 23:09:
I liked the combat system. Felt pretty satisfying to score kills.

Yep, probably the best combat system in any MMO ever. Such a shame that they dropped the ball on the end game content (There was enough mid game content, it just wasnt the 'handholding' kind of the first twenty levels). This is why I quit playing an otherwise great game, the biggest draw of the game, the end game PvP and keep sieges were just MiA.

As for the griefing and ambush kills etc. well they arent for the carebear WoW type thats for sure, this was a violent adult game with a strong focus on PvP...

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 21, 2015, 01:53 Total-Khaos

Age of Conan Turns Seven

Their digital boobies are starting to sag already, careful gents.

17. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 23:43 Acleacius

Do they have a real Free to Play, i.e. Buy to Play, with cash shop only for cosmetic items? Such as games like Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online.  

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

16. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 23:09 Wallshadows

I liked the combat system. Felt pretty satisfying to score kills.  

15. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 22:47 wtf_man

1-20 was the best, yes... but after 20 wasn't THAT bad... base gameplay-wise... it just wasn't voice-overed and you no longer could to "personal story private quests restricted to night time" like you could at 1-20.

Where AoC really failed after level 20 was content level gaps (had to grind a few levels to get back to the questing), and buggy-ass broken quests that you couldn't complete. I had a buttful by about level 45 and quit.

I imagine that all would be fixed by now, though.
One would just have to still put up with no more voice overs after level 20, and no instanced private story.

The combat was interesting for Melee, but if I recall, magic users weren't too happy. Not sure if they fixed that or not.

It wasn't a horrible game, IMO... but not great... and definitely not finished.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

14. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 22:39 Vall Forran

Slower than WoW. I don't remember accurately, but I'd guess 6-10 hours?  

13. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 22:10 Ant

Agent.X7 wrote on May 20, 2015, 22:00:
Dagnamit wrote on May 20, 2015, 18:04:
Man, the first of the great so-called "WoW killers". There were so many.

AoC, Warhammer Online, Matrix, etc...

Yep, 1-20 in AoC was amazing. After that it was a turd.

Warhammer Online was fantastic...as long as you had a group to play with. So much content that required other people, very little other people to play it with.

I beta tested the Matrix and had no interest in playing it at release. Blah.
How much time does going from levels 1 to 20 last? In original classic WoW (before and after its release), it didn't take that long if played a lot which I don't have these days.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

12. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 22:00 Agent.X7

Dagnamit wrote on May 20, 2015, 18:04:

Yep, 1-20 in AoC was amazing. After that it was a turd.

Warhammer Online was fantastic...as long as you had a group to play with. So much content that required other people, very little other people to play it with.

I beta tested the Matrix and had no interest in playing it at release. Blah.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

11. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 21:21 Ant

Vall Forran wrote on May 20, 2015, 21:18:
Ant wrote on May 20, 2015, 20:50:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 20, 2015, 17:21:
People are still playing this?
Wow, already? I still haven't tried it even though I got this game for free. :/

Play the starter zone (levels 1-20). It's quite fun. After that...uninstall. Though after 7 years (!!!), I doubt the game holds up as well.
Is starter parts free? I am sure the game hold ups well on my very old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 machine. Haha.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

10. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 21:18 Vall Forran

Ant wrote on May 20, 2015, 20:50:

Play the starter zone (levels 1-20). It's quite fun. After that...uninstall. Though after 7 years (!!!), I doubt the game holds up as well.

9. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 20:50 Ant

8. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 20:13 Cutter

I'd love to see a new DDO. I admit I hated it at first but I really grew to love it.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

7. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 20:10 Ceribaen

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2015, 18:15:
Warhammer Online had that same problem with the first 20 levels being awesome then absolutely zero content afterward. I don't know what they were thinking. Like people just wouldn't notice? Such a shame because their Greenskin campaign was still the most fun of any I've played in an MMO.

But yeah, it's weird to think people still play stuff like this, UO, EQ, etc.

UO and EQ still get played because nostalgia and addictions.
AoC still gets played because some people are masochists.

Warhammer Online, I wish they'd followed Turbine's route with DDO - and let you have a free to play account and buy items in a cash shop that would let you cross the level boundaries (or find them in the wild). The first ten levels were fun because there was always people there to play with. I never attempted a paid account because at the time at least, I was told that your account would not revert to a free trial once you paid... and I didn't feel like creating another one if I didn't like how things were beyond.

But I probably would have dropped some money to move on to the next area - and I'm sure I'm not the only one... and that would have helped the biggest complaints I always heard was that the world was basically single player past that until 'end game' because the population was so low.

6. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 18:15 Cutter

Warhammer Online had that same problem with the first 20 levels being awesome then absolutely zero content afterward. I don't know what they were thinking. Like people just wouldn't notice? Such a shame because their Greenskin campaign was still the most fun of any I've played in an MMO.

But yeah, it's weird to think people still play stuff like this, UO, EQ, etc.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 18:04 Dagnamit

4. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 17:44 Asmo

This was the biggest bait and switch game I've ever seen. The first 20 levels (the intro island), fully voiced, fun combat, challenging, just all round good times.

The next 60? /shudder

Of particular note was running out of quests etc at 73 and a group of 5 of us doing the last zone on heroic killing mobs for about 12 hours to grind the XP required to get to 80... Picked up a nice epic dagger at the time, plus a significant dose of RSI...

I think I quit about 6 days later because raiding at the time was a buggy mess.

3. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 17:43 Vall Forran

Totally. I have never played a game with such a broken class before (Templar).

Healers were un-killable. Guys with horses stand on a bridge and kick you off for griefing kills. I'm amazed I played past the Tortuga, or whatever the begnning "fun" part of the game was called.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >