Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 18, 2015, 03:57 InBlack

harlock wrote on May 17, 2015, 14:58:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on May 17, 2015, 14:06:
Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform and it's going to get massive traction because it's free. Get out of your comfort zone and support an open platform and force publishers to take our interests seriously.

yeh soon they are gonna know all your little secrets!

and nothing will ever be the same

I realize you are just being sarcastic, but it's baby steps, baby steps and OOPS what the fuck? Suddenly its 1984.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 16:49 Redmask

ViRGE wrote on May 16, 2015, 16:15:
Redmask wrote on May 16, 2015, 15:27:
It's just a game and has nothing to do with the rest of the operating system. Might as well freak out at the inclusion of Solitaire. We've been testing Windows 10 at work and its perfectly fine, much better than Windows 8 in terms of accommodating all user devices with minimal compromise. The small resource footprint and requirements are great too, its a big improvement over Windows 7. Don't listen to the people who can't even bothered to load it up and just parrot whatever they hear on Slashdot.
It's not just a game. It's Microsoft including software from a company who engages in blatantly unethical, predatory practices. People don't spend money on Candy Crush because they want to, they spend money because the game is engineered down to the last bit to manipulate them into doing so.

Is someone holding a gun to their heads? I don't care how its engineered, that's their choice. It's a game pack-in and it has nothing to do with Windows 10 being a decent OS or not. Are you going to take a stand and stop using all Windows produces since it offends you so much?

18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 14:58 harlock

Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform and it's going to get massive traction because it's free. Get out of your comfort zone and support an open platform and force publishers to take our interests seriously.

yeh soon they are gonna know all your little secrets!

and nothing will ever be the same

17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 14:57 Luke

I don't understand why everyone here bitches to no end on how useless steam machines and linux are for gaming, but at the same time condemn MS for shit like this. You realize Valve is preempting moves that MS is taking to stifle the gaming industry to meet their fucked up agenda, which is most definitely console/tablet-first.

At least Valve's agenda is mostly in line with PC gamers. Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform and it's going to get massive traction because it's free. Get out of your comfort zone and support an open platform and force publishers to take our interests seriously.

Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform

Yep just like faceahit and steam but thats another story.....i guess

16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 14:06  BIGtrouble77 

I don't understand why everyone here bitches to no end on how useless steam machines and linux are for gaming, but at the same time condemn MS for shit like this. You realize Valve is preempting moves that MS is taking to stifle the gaming industry to meet their fucked up agenda, which is most definitely console/tablet-first.

At least Valve's agenda is mostly in line with PC gamers. Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform and it's going to get massive traction because it's free. Get out of your comfort zone and support an open platform and force publishers to take our interests seriously.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2015, 14:26.

15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 08:28 JayDeath

Level 875 on CC and I never spent any money at all. WooT!  

Steam: BenRichards

14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 23:32 Dagnamit

It's just a game and has nothing to do with the rest of the operating system. Might as well freak out at the inclusion of Solitaire. We've been testing Windows 10 at work and its perfectly fine, much better than Windows 8 in terms of accommodating all user devices with minimal compromise. The small resource footprint and requirements are great too, its a big improvement over Windows 7. Don't listen to the people who can't even bothered to load it up and just parrot whatever they hear on Slashdot.
It's not just a game. It's Microsoft including software from a company who engages in blatantly unethical, predatory practices. People don't spend money on Candy Crush because they want to, they spend money because the game is engineered down to the last bit to manipulate them into doing so.

...and those people are called idiots. Or rather, fools... and that which may they soon part with...

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 22:47 harlock

would make more sense if it just came with steam  

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 22:23 SirKnight

Windows 10 needs to come with some of the games from the old Entertainment Packs like Pipe Dream, Rattler Race, Rodent's Revenge, Fuji Golf, Ski Free, Chip's Challenge, and Jezzball. Those were always my favorites.

I also played a lot of that pinball game that came with some Windows.

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 22:08 Krovven

Uhh no. I played Candy Crush for awhile (until I was bored) and never payed anything.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 21:53 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on May 16, 2015, 18:56:
HorrorScope wrote on May 16, 2015, 17:44:
When we canít verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user. If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device. Non-Genuine Windows has a high risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions. Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner.

Why? Or is it just trying to sell fear. Why would a Non-Genuine be more at risk with Malware, exposure and poor performance? Are they drop settings to make that so? Not that I worry, but I just found it strange, you get a watermark, ok, but it's like a Pirate Lite Version of 10, if it really is more susceptible.

It could be compromised before you touch it - the people who cracked Windows or who uploaded it could insert whatever code they want to. This goes for all pirated software but I would think that an operating system is easiest to hide this code from virus scanners with rootkits and access during the OS's installation.

Most of these crackers do it for the prestige but probably not all and I'd worry that my keystrokes were being analysed for credit card info.

(BTW, have you seen the thread addressed to you on the left menu, below the popular threads?)

Got it. That can happen, but then they'll be one's clean to, word will get around.

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 20:54  wtf_man 

Well... I'm not actually poo-pooing the OS, itself. I actually like the latest builds, and the Dark theme looks much better than the fugly pastel windows of 8.0/8.1.

That said... make no mistake... YOU are the product, just like with Facebook, Google, etc. etc.

I intend to block / disable / uninstall all that stuff. Fortunately you can still make a local account... you can make search not use the internet, disable cortana, disable one drive, all through local policy editing... and uninstall most of the modern apps with powershell.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 18:56  Quboid 

HorrorScope wrote on May 16, 2015, 17:44:
When we canít verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user. If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device. Non-Genuine Windows has a high risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions. Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner.

Why? Or is it just trying to sell fear. Why would a Non-Genuine be more at risk with Malware, exposure and poor performance? Are they drop settings to make that so? Not that I worry, but I just found it strange, you get a watermark, ok, but it's like a Pirate Lite Version of 10, if it really is more susceptible.

It could be compromised before you touch it - the people who cracked Windows or who uploaded it could insert whatever code they want to. This goes for all pirated software but I would think that an operating system is easiest to hide this code from virus scanners with rootkits and access during the OS's installation.

Most of these crackers do it for the prestige but probably not all and I'd worry that my keystrokes were being analysed for credit card info.

(BTW, have you seen the thread addressed to you on the left menu, below the popular threads?)

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 17:44 HorrorScope

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 16:15 ViRGE

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 15:27 Redmask

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 14:15 mag

Dagnamit wrote on May 16, 2015, 13:59:
Axis wrote on May 16, 2015, 12:50:
Windows 10 preloaded with candy crush... Sounds EXACTLY like the direction MS has been going.

Like it or not, those games are the Minesweeper of the times. Played by the exact same type of person too. Production quality is just better.

They are nothing compared to Freecell. NOTHING!

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 13:59 Dagnamit

Axis wrote on May 16, 2015, 12:50:
Windows 10 preloaded with candy crush... Sounds EXACTLY like the direction MS has been going.

Like it or not, those games are the Minesweeper of the times. Played by the exact same type of person too. Production quality is just better.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 12:57  wtf_man 

"Windows as a service" just means that we'll continuously keep it up to date. datamine you and sell your info through Practically forced Microsoft Live Logons, One Drive, Bing Search, Cortana and anything else that phones home... we will also monetize you with "modern apps" that all search results will list first. There is no ongoing fee."

Fixed.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2015, 13:02.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 12:50 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >