4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Consolidation
May 12, 2015, 14:06
Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2015, 14:06
May 12, 2015, 14:06

MindStalker3 wrote on May 12, 2015, 10:22:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 11, 2015, 13:50:
It actually irritates me how bargain basement the consoles are.
But then it comes down to developers designing for it which they won't.. they'll design for the lowest performance with some sliders on the higher performance system. Pretty much it's always a loss for the consumer.

Its called lowest common denominator. But in reality it really makes sense. If you want to make a top of the line game with top of the line graphics for top of the line systems. That is great! But if you want to make a game that will run on the most systems possible so more people can buy it, you will spec towards the XBox 360, maybe the Xbox One. Why, because there are over 30 million XBox 360 in active use and almost 10 million XBox Ones in active use.
I always thought the relatively low horsepower of consoles was done for 2 main reasons, 1 to keep the cost down and 2 to keep the power usage and heat build-up down.

The specs being relatively low does not have any real relation to staying in line with the past generation that I can see. How many games now have we seen that had the PS3/360 version canceled (or never begun) to make a more hardware-intensive game? Batman Arkham Knight comes to mind. Yes, there is a much larger user base on last-gen consoles, but consider this. If you are a developer making a game targeted at a release this year, you can make a current-gen only game (like Arkham Knight), which is fine if you don't need those last-gen sales numbers. But if you want the biggest user base you have to release on both generations, which requires extensive porting. We have heard how different the PS3 and PS4 are from each other, and the 360 and One are closer but still different enough that the One is not backwards compatible. Most of the time developers are already making a PC version that requires porting with higher resolution and better graphics (if you want PC sales that is), so at that point it doesn't really matter if the Xbox One and PS4 are monster machines or not. Developers could easily scale either way, because they're already doing it for PC (sometimes in a half-assed way, but they're still doing it).

May 12, 2015, 10:22
Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2015, 10:22
May 12, 2015, 10:22

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 11, 2015, 13:50:
But then it comes down to developers designing for it which they won't.. they'll design for the lowest performance with some sliders on the higher performance system. Pretty much it's always a loss for the consumer.

Its called lowest common denominator. But in reality it really makes sense. If you want to make a top of the line game with top of the line graphics for top of the line systems. That is great! But if you want to make a game that will run on the most systems possible so more people can buy it, you will spec towards the XBox 360, maybe the Xbox One. Why, because there are over 30 million XBox 360 in active use and almost 10 million XBox Ones in active use.

May 11, 2015, 13:50
Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2015, 13:50
May 11, 2015, 13:50

I also see that Microsoft 500$ console was the reason why PS4 beat them because of the 100$ difference. This is because they were roughly the same "performance" when it comes down to it.

If Sony put out a 600-700$ console but was double the power of the microsoft, it would be worth the cash to me.

Re: PS4 and Xbox One 8GB memory is 'enough to last this gen,' says ex-Naughty Dog dev.
May 11, 2015, 09:29
Verno

Re: PS4 and Xbox One 8GB memory is 'enough to last this gen,' says ex-Naughty Dog dev. May 11, 2015, 09:29
May 11, 2015, 09:29
 Verno

The weak Jaguar cores on the other hand, not so much.
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older