Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer

Here's a cinematic teaser for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, the upcoming real-time strategy game set in some crowded areas of outer space. They say they plan on unveiling more about the game soon, and in the meantime, accompany the clip with a few first screenshots they say are "captured from a very early development version of the game."

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
May 9, 2015, 09:22
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 9, 2015, 09:22
May 9, 2015, 09:22

Well, the Warp in the WH40K universe is a pretty unpredictable method of travel. All sorts of weirdness is to be expected.

Navigation Officer: "Sir! Warp jump completed. Uh, we've only traveled two hundred meters forward."
Captain: "By the Emperor's testicles..."
Navigation Officer: "And... two hundred years back in time."
Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

May 8, 2015, 12:29
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 12:29
May 8, 2015, 12:29

They're not selling a book; if their game doesn't look like the product they've got jack. The YouTube screenshot still looks just like all the box art; if anything it's less on fire.

And I also don't feel like this is anything new. Freespace 2 and the Independence War games were all purple, blue and green nebula backgrounds everywhere. Eve Online and Elite Dangerous look pretty colorful. I can't really think of the last space game that put you in a black void; TIE Fighter?

May 8, 2015, 12:17
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 12:17
May 8, 2015, 12:17

Have you ever read any of the fiction? All the fleet battles talk about impossible distances of vast darkness pierced by massive las blasts and such. I know they aren't going to realism, but that's just fugly.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

May 8, 2015, 11:06
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 11:06
May 8, 2015, 11:06

eRe4s3r wrote on May 8, 2015, 04:11:
grudgebearer wrote on May 7, 2015, 20:08:
A terrible depiction of space. I understand the need for some theatricality, but bright orange clouds is not the way to pull it off.

Normally I'd say.. space has to be colorful but in WH40 I have to say.. space should be dark, depressing and scary as fuck. There are way too many colors in that trailer, and orange/blue is like so overused in color balance that I wonder who made that scene.. and why they didn't pay that guy more to get more creative.

Have you guys actually ever bought any Battlefleet Gothic materials? Pretty much all the box and cover art features giant orange explosions or red warp storms.

May 8, 2015, 10:19
Zor
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 10:19
May 8, 2015, 10:19
Zor

if I can launch Skitarii torpedoes, I'm sold

May 8, 2015, 06:19
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 06:19
May 8, 2015, 06:19

A terrible depiction of space. I understand the need for some theatricality, but bright orange clouds is not the way to pull it off.

I didn't mind the depiction of space per se, but if you're going to jump, jump from one place to someplace completely different. It was just so obvious that the conversation was:
"Well, we only have one set of assets, what should we do?"
"Let's just jump into the same place we started! No one will notice the difference."
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 8, 2015, 04:11
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 04:11
May 8, 2015, 04:11

Normally I'd say.. space has to be colorful but in WH40 I have to say.. space should be dark, depressing and scary as fuck. There are way too many colors in that trailer, and orange/blue is like so overused in color balance that I wonder who made that scene.. and why they didn't pay that guy more to get more creative.

May 7, 2015, 22:58
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 22:58
May 7, 2015, 22:58

thecakeisalie wrote on May 7, 2015, 20:15:
It's a very fun turn-based miniature game in real life. I've got the boxed set and an Imperial Navy fleet for the odd time I can actually find someone to play.

However, I'm not sure how well this is going to translate into a RTS. The rule set is designed from the ground-up to be a very complicated and tactical TURN-BASED system. Giving Battlefleet: Gothic the Homeworld treatment could backfire spectacularly. I don't think making it into an RTS is going to satisfy the purists and if it's not done well enough, it will turn off casual gamers from ever gaining an interest in the real life game (which is probably Games Workshop's hope).

I agree the trailer is pretty underwhelming. It would have been nice if they'd shown a close up the Chaos fleet or maybe a Nova Cannon firing or something or some fighter and bomber wings launching from one of the ships.

Forgive me as I only have basic knowledge of the tabletop 40k games, but didn't Relic do a pretty good job with the Warhammer franchise with the Dawn of War games? They took the universe and made a pretty decent RTS out of it. Although their stuff was all ground combat and didn't involve any of the space battle components.

May 7, 2015, 20:15
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 20:15
May 7, 2015, 20:15

It's a very fun turn-based miniature game in real life. I've got the boxed set and an Imperial Navy fleet for the odd time I can actually find someone to play.

However, I'm not sure how well this is going to translate into a RTS. The rule set is designed from the ground-up to be a very complicated and tactical TURN-BASED system. Giving Battlefleet: Gothic the Homeworld treatment could backfire spectacularly. I don't think making it into an RTS is going to satisfy the purists and if it's not done well enough, it will turn off casual gamers from ever gaining an interest in the real life game (which is probably Games Workshop's hope).

I agree the trailer is pretty underwhelming. It would have been nice if they'd shown a close up the Chaos fleet or maybe a Nova Cannon firing or something or some fighter and bomber wings launching from one of the ships.

May 7, 2015, 20:08
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 20:08
May 7, 2015, 20:08

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

May 7, 2015, 19:39
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 19:39
May 7, 2015, 19:39

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2015, 19:34:
Well, that was rather silly. They jump from one shattered asteroid field in an orange nebula to another shattered asteroid field in an orange nebula. Or maybe they just jumped 200 feet within the same asteroid field.

So it's the battle of Trafalgar in outer space.

Heh yeah that's exactly what i thought too - pretty underwhelming teaser, really.

May 7, 2015, 19:34
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 19:34
May 7, 2015, 19:34

Well, that was rather silly. They jump from one shattered asteroid field in an orange nebula to another shattered asteroid field in an orange nebula. Or maybe they just jumped 200 feet within the same asteroid field.

So it's the battle of Trafalgar in outer space.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 7, 2015, 18:52
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 18:52
May 7, 2015, 18:52

I hope it's not another 40k shovelware license cash grab.
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older