EverQuest Emulator Legal

A recent post on the EverQuest website offers an official endorsement from Daybreak Games for Project 1999, an emulator that supports "classic" EverQuest gameplay echoing the early days of the MMORPG. Since emulation in such games has typically been a touchy legal topic, this is good news for supporters of the project. Here's word:
It’s been an exciting year for Project 1999 and we have some exciting news we’ve been really anxious to share with all of you. As some of you may be aware, in the past there has been both confusion and concern over the status of Project 1999. We have recently entered into a written agreement with Daybreak Game Company LLC that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project. The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions. As a show of good faith to support the efforts of Daybreak Games, we have decided to reschedule our expansion release as to not conflict with the upcoming new progression server being released in the coming weeks. We would like to personally thank all the folks at Daybreak and acknowledge how awesome it is for a company to work with and embrace the creations of their fans. This is really something that’s unique in the gaming industry.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal
May 6, 2015, 23:21
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 23:21
May 6, 2015, 23:21

harlock wrote on May 6, 2015, 06:51:
Sepharo wrote on May 6, 2015, 03:27:
In multiplayer games losing has consequence, you didn't win.
If you're not first you're last.

its the same with single player games, except theres no one else around to confirm that you are such a winner

some people need that kind of confirmation... they need that gold star, that pat on the back

Yeah to your earlier point, it is what you make it. The other guy who replied to me is still droning on about MMOs. Apparently he doesn't think keeping yourself at the top of a scoreboard of 32 players gets your heart pumping.

May 6, 2015, 18:45
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 18:45
May 6, 2015, 18:45

*meaningful consequence.
Looking at the end of match scoreboard for 5 seconds before it reset doesn't really count.

Like gambling with fake money vs real. One gets your heart pumping, the other is boring as fk.

Plus with MMO's it changes the entire game, politics actually matter, people have to think before they act, skill meant something - not gear, no more meaningless zerging, or coming back into battle right after death, pve isn't boring as fk because you are always looking over your shoulder etc etc...

These days you get a gold star and a pat on your back for dying.
PVE = gear grind so you can do better in PVP
PVP = point grind in instances for better gear, so you can do ever better at uhh... said PVP grind. Alternatively play musical castles and attack the wall for half an hour.

Fkn Yay! Console gaming at it's best.

May 6, 2015, 12:15
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 12:15
May 6, 2015, 12:15

The EVE crowd are not your typical MMO crowd though. They would be closer to the competitive multiplayer crowd, except that they generally have more patience.

For a game like the original EQ, there were a number of different factors that contributed to what made it so appealing. There was nothing else like it at the time is the first thing.

The difficulty and setup of the game game world meant that soloing was extremely unprofitable. It didn't just encourage group play, it demanded it.

At the time, social networking was nowhere near as popular as it is today (if you could even say it existed apart from MSN Messenger and ICQ in the mainstream). EQ combined social networking with a vast open world and stuff for you to do with the people you were chatting to.

Finally, the spontaneous and unforseen situations which could happen in that kind of environment are impossible to create in today's MMOs, precisely because they are all so much about hand-holding and theme parking. Anyone who remembers the infamous trains in the Estate of Unrest would get what I'm talking about.

The modern MMO is so much about tightly controlling the player experience, that there is no way to revisit those days.

As a consequence, even the new ones which come out and claim to be about recapturing that same magic, can't do it. It wasn't just a matter of harsh gameplay that demanded grouping, it was about the unfettered nature of the game world and how that allowed so many awesome moments to happen naturally.

May 6, 2015, 06:51
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 06:51
May 6, 2015, 06:51

its the same with single player games, except theres no one else around to confirm that you are such a winner

some people need that kind of confirmation... they need that gold star, that pat on the back

May 6, 2015, 03:27
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 03:27
May 6, 2015, 03:27

May 5, 2015, 19:34
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 19:34
May 5, 2015, 19:34

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 5, 2015, 16:37:
The risk versus rewards aspect of MMOs like EQ and Ultima Online is what made them fun. This is also why I play Eve Online (well not actually right now, parked my guy to train for a while since i'm back logged on other games like the witcher).

All these other video games are crazy boring because there's no risk.

This ^.

Even PVE was exciting back in the days, because dying actually had consequences.

And the PVP was fkn amazing. None of this thoughtless red = dead crap, and mindless zerging. Death hurt, meaning tactics and skill mattered, and there were lasting consequences for your and your guilds actions.

Shit was intense.

Now days PVE = grind. PVP = minigame grind. MMO = yawnfest.

Thank you WOW for carebearing/consolising an entire genre.

Darktide forever.
http://www.schattenkind.com/past-present/history.html

This comment was edited on May 5, 2015, 20:26.

May 5, 2015, 18:47
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 18:47
May 5, 2015, 18:47

You can't trust McQuaid. Guy has a history of talking out of his ass.

And Smedley is right there with him.

While they did some nice things for MMOs, I think both of them generally prey on people's hopes for cash and then apologize once it's finally clear they had no intentions of ever doing what they said. And......once it finally catches up to them, they sell the company to someone else and continue on with their "marketing strategies".

May 5, 2015, 18:36
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 18:36
May 5, 2015, 18:36

wtf_man wrote on May 5, 2015, 15:27:
descender wrote on May 5, 2015, 14:58:
EQ was the best MMO for exactly the reason you just described. Consequence and danger. It was extremely easy to get in over your head and die in EQ, and that fear of death and corpse recovery kept things extremely exciting during group play in dungeons.

IMO, there still isn't an MMO that touches the goodness that is/was EQ. There are merely fisher price rip-offs of it.

They are releasing Velious in August, Kunark -> Vellious was the golden age of EQ IMO so if anyone was on the fence about checking this out now is the time.

Well... since you are obviously a masochist... You can jump on Brad's latest train wreck: Crapeon: Rise of the Spawn Campers

Right we hear about how awesome the old games were. They've made a few old school mmo's recently, people are loud in support, not in #'s. Wondering what the latest PoEt sales #'s are.

May 5, 2015, 17:33
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 17:33
May 5, 2015, 17:33

harlock wrote on May 5, 2015, 16:40:

retarded argument since you can easily customize how much "risk" you take during gaming with saves, difficulty, rogue-likes, etc.

but of course, it does require some creative thought and self-control... things which i doubt the MMO crowd has in abundance

When that risk is entirely under your control as a player, it is absolutely not even close to the same thing.

May 5, 2015, 16:40
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 16:40
May 5, 2015, 16:40

retarded argument since you can easily customize how much "risk" you take during gaming with saves, difficulty, rogue-likes, etc.

but of course, it does require some creative thought and self-control... things which i doubt the MMO crowd has in abundance

May 5, 2015, 16:37
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 16:37
May 5, 2015, 16:37

The risk versus rewards aspect of MMOs like EQ and Ultima Online is what made them fun. This is also why I play Eve Online (well not actually right now, parked my guy to train for a while since i'm back logged on other games like the witcher).

May 5, 2015, 15:41
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 15:41
May 5, 2015, 15:41

I remember the live invasions that AC used to run. That was always fun. I think that AC was also the first MMO to have world-altering events in free monthly updates.

Doing brand new missions/zones is definitely a ton of fun. Actually managed to do that a couple times in both LOTRO and Rift. And of course trying to figure out things like BWL and AQ40 in WoW - which was slightly less fun since instead of 5 people it was 40 involved.

I miss the days of crowd control and splitting pulls being skills required - they basically merged all of that into the 'tank' role of mmos these days. I had an SK with a pre-nerf clicky CoS (acquired through some very good trading in EC) and Jboots (which I happened on by pure luck in the zone early one morning).

Was slowly working on building the Iksar SK quest weapon which was fun until they opened it up to all races, and suddenly I had to compete with the 999999999 Dark Elf alts of people in the major guilds. That and then stupid moon expansion facelift that turned my iksar into a godzilla wannabe is basically what killed it for me.

KS wrote on May 5, 2015, 15:31:
The three biggest joys I've had in MMOs, going back past EQ and Ultima Online to text MMOs were, in order:

1. Live invasions, seen only twice, once in UO and once in EQ (opening of dark elfs or something) where monsters overrun zones. "To hell with your levelling and travel plans."

Awesome. Most people are losers who don't like that. Screw them, base fools all.

2. Grouping with people to do a new mission or zone nobody's done before. Done this precisely once, in Dungeons & Dragons Online.

5 people, "What do we do?". "I don't know.". "I thought you know. NOBODY KNOWS???"

Had a blast for a couple of hours figuring out the puzzles, stumbling into monsters, etc.

3. Grouping to take out singleton yard trash, ala early EQ.

The problem is making grouping easy, intuitive, ***and natural to the flow of the game. ***

People group because they have a tough time finding easy groups (sadly, City of Heroes, fairly solo-friendly, got this almost perfect, so people grouped easily even though they didn't "need to". RIP

MMOs are terrible single-player games.

May 5, 2015, 15:31
KS
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 15:31
May 5, 2015, 15:31
KS

The three biggest joys I've had in MMOs, going back past EQ and Ultima Online to text MMOs were, in order:

1. Live invasions, seen only twice, once in UO and once in EQ (opening of dark elfs or something) where monsters overrun zones. "To hell with your levelling and travel plans."

Awesome. Most people are losers who don't like that. Screw them, base fools all.

2. Grouping with people to do a new mission or zone nobody's done before. Done this precisely once, in Dungeons & Dragons Online.

5 people, "What do we do?". "I don't know.". "I thought you know. NOBODY KNOWS???"

Had a blast for a couple of hours figuring out the puzzles, stumbling into monsters, etc.

3. Grouping to take out singleton yard trash, ala early EQ.

The problem is making grouping easy, intuitive, ***and natural to the flow of the game. ***

People group because they have a tough time finding easy groups (sadly, City of Heroes, fairly solo-friendly, got this almost perfect, so people grouped easily even though they didn't "need to". RIP

MMOs are terrible single-player games.

May 5, 2015, 15:27
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 15:27
May 5, 2015, 15:27

EQ was the best MMO for exactly the reason you just described. Consequence and danger. It was extremely easy to get in over your head and die in EQ, and that fear of death and corpse recovery kept things extremely exciting during group play in dungeons.

IMO, there still isn't an MMO that touches the goodness that is/was EQ. There are merely fisher price rip-offs of it.

They are releasing Velious in August, Kunark -> Vellious was the golden age of EQ IMO so if anyone was on the fence about checking this out now is the time.

Well... since you are obviously a masochist... You can jump on Brad's latest train wreck: Crapeon: Rise of the Spawn Campers
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

May 5, 2015, 15:18
RaZ0r!

Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 15:18
May 5, 2015, 15:18
 RaZ0r!

QFT
I pwnz j00!

May 5, 2015, 14:58
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 14:58
May 5, 2015, 14:58

May 5, 2015, 14:44
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 14:44
May 5, 2015, 14:44

EQ is such shit i still remember rage quitting like 2 months after it came out...i had to hike hours back to some corpse loot, and just said "fuck this"... never played another MMORPG again

because THEY FUCKING SUCK DONKEY BALLS

May 5, 2015, 12:42
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 12:42
May 5, 2015, 12:42

I think this is what it feels like to be a 10 year sober heroin addict when your buddy gives you the wink and nod....

May 5, 2015, 12:09
NKD
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 12:09
May 5, 2015, 12:09
NKD

More companies need to sign off on free fan projects instead of DMCAing them down.

May 5, 2015, 10:58
Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 10:58
May 5, 2015, 10:58

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2015, 10:15:
They shouldn't have to grovel like this for a 20 year old game.

Learning the maths is for suckas! *high five*
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older